Do Not Be Afraid About CP2077

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cannot reduce accuracy via skills too much
you can, it has been done already, and apparently it will be in Cp77 as well from what it has been said. You can adjust sway, you can adjust recoil, you can adjust reloading speed, you can have better and worse weapons without going through levels (an M4 is surely more effective than a musket), you can have cyberware that improves sway and recoil, you can obtain new ACTIVE skills from cyberware... Also, it can all be improved by usage without going in a menu and spend an exp point to magically unlock one of these improvements.
Adding +10% DMG is lazy and useless, doesn't make you feel improved, it just boosts the numbers you see on screen but those are compensated by enemies' numbers being boosted as well by their higher level. Numbers are higher, but the game hasn't changed a bit going from level 1 to level whatever.
I don't want to think that gamers really need to see numbers being pumped up to feel the thrill of progress, when you can actually make your character improve with better abilities and without showing numbers on screen.

I remember that and they’ve implied there’s some kind of accuracy thing going on before that too. But my question has always been: ”To what extent?”

And even if it might not seem so on the surface, it is a pretty damn big and important question because it has to do with the ranged combat experience of the game as a whole, plus the feeling of improvement, reward and importance of skill progression throughout the game.
Sure. I'd also like to know this. Sadly I don't think we'll be able to say until they give people hands-on time with the game. :(

Night City is not a third world war zone, you know.
Post automatically merged:

The combat zones are no different. The residents mostly live in abject poverty in slums, law enforcement is nonexistent, and gangs have carved out fiefdoms where the civil authorities have little to no actual authority. Disputes between those gangs are not infrequently settled by violence, hence the neighborhoods being referred to as combat zones.

The people of Night City or the outskirts who live near the combat zones or in Nomad clans would have more in common with real world people in war torn countries where there is little (or no) government control than they would with the average American or European.

The description of Street Kid V: "Gangs, fixers, dolls, small-time pushers — you were raised by them all. Down here the law of the jungle dictates the weak serve the strong — the only law in Night City is you have yet to break. "

The description of Nomad V: "Roaming the Badlands, locating scrapyards, raiding fuel depots — life on the road wasn’t easy. But growing up in a nomad clan has its perks. Honesty, integrity, and a love of freedom — qualities that few in Night City possess, and no amount of money can buy. "

Both Street Kid and Nomad V being very familiar with firearms and violence from a young age is not unrealistic at all. Corpo V is the only one where a familiarity with guns & violence from may not be plausible, *but* only if they were a cubicle worker who was raised in a gated, affluent community. I imagine Corpo V was more on the security/paramilitary side of things or grew up in the slums.

A regular action adventure, more like. I don’t think shooter part will be much more prevalent than walking around and clicking on dialog options.
Perhaps ... we'll see.

I don't like that if I have 8 in strenght then my shotgun deals 20% more DMG. Like I pull the trigger with more strenght and bullets fly faster. And that I can't get +30% DMG until I get to 9 in strenght.
This sort of thing sort of makes sense with melee weapons, you're stronger, you hit harder. But I agree strength (and it fact ANY character/avatar stat) has zero effect on damage with firearms. Accuracy ... sure ... reload time ... sure ... damage ... NOT !!!

Well there is not that much to do here with weapons. Cannot reduce accuracy via skills too much as this is action game and not XCOM and it will feel bad. Cannot introduce crazy feats for guns since these are part of the weapon itself or something to come from cyberware (e.g. time slowdown). So what is left is just +dmg%, faster reloads and stuff like that.
That's the inherent problem with trying to make an RPG/shooter ... the mechanics needed for each are mutually incompatible with the other.

<clip> ...but I think the cyberpunk universe is dystopian enough that a 19 year old raised on the streets of a combat zone or in a Nomad clan would plausibly be nearly as proficient with firearms.
HIGHLY doubtful.
On the streets you don't have expert instructors with years of experience teaching you how to shoot. It's also probable that you've never once been to a range, nor have you fired the amount of ammo you do during military basic training (over 250 rounds in my case). Yes ... rare individuals have natural talent, but they're very much the exception. Even most cops, who have had instruction and some range time aren't terribly good shots ... and I use to be one (after I retired from the military).

Corpo V is the only one where a familiarity with guns & violence from may not be plausible, *but* only if they were a cubicle worker who was raised in a gated, affluent community. I imagine Corpo V was more on the security/paramilitary side of things or grew up in the slums.
Probably former military or police. Street punks rarely have the sort of self discipline needed for Corp security.

Last edited:
This sort of thing sort of makes sense with melee weapons, you're stronger, you hit harder.
Of course, of course. That's absolutely fine and I actually want it in a game. But I'd still prefer something fluid (increases with usage) instead of "unlock a perk with exp. point". Punch 100 thugs and automatically your strenght is higher -> melee DMG +X%. Punch 1000 thugs and you can automatically lift their bodies with little struggle. Punch 10000 thugs AND install gorilla arms and you can open closed doors or lift heavy objects. Similar to skyrim, but without choosing the ability you want. You get it automatically according to your actions.

I think teens and children on the lower rung in Night City would indeed be like youth who grew up in war torn regions. Hard as nails and cutthroat attitudes.

It shouldnt be so bad. From what Ive read, Cyberpunk 2077 is full of people who are enjoying their freedom. This is gonna be Corps vs Freedom, thats the basic setting, etc.

Oh damn, yeah, you spoke about "lower runs"

you can, it has been done already

That is what I said not by much, Mass Effect 1 also did that and it did not feel too bad but this was dropped in sequels for a reason.

Fact is if you scope an enemy with sniper rifle and fire at his head you expect it to hit. Sure you can make skill investment reduce sway etc. like you said, but accuracy itself cannot be tied to skills to a level of Cyberpunk 2020/Red for ARPG.

However have to remember recoil etc. of weapons in FPS is something that is property of a weapon and is usually something that you get to fine tune with attachments. If you max out skill and all weapons feel like laser then it will be bad since there will be no reason to use anything other than whatever has highest dps.

Last edited:
HIGHLY doubtful.
On the streets you don't have expert instructors with years of experience teaching you how to shoot. It's also probable that you've never once been to a range, nor have you fired the amount of ammo you do during military basic training (over 250 rounds in my case). Yes ... rare individuals have natural talent, but they're very much the exception. Even most cops, who have had instruction and some range time aren't terribly good shots ... and I use to be one (after I retired from the military).

They may not possess the same level of proficiency as a military professional, but they'd have enough familiarity with firearms to be dangerous. See Afghanistan, Chechnya, ect.

V being capable with firearms from the game's start is hardly far-fetched.

Fact is if you scope an enemy with sniper rifle and fire at his head you expect it to hit. Sure you can make skill investment reduce sway etc. like you said, but accuracy itself cannot be tied to skills to a level of Cyberpunk 2020/Red for ARPG.
I agree, sorry if I wasn't clear on this.
If you max out skill and all weapons feel like laser then it will be bad since there will be no reason to use anything other than whatever has highest dps.
haven't played ME1 (I played the other 3 games though) but you don't need to go to "laser weapon". You can go up to "as good as a boosted classic FPS soldier". Like doom guy from the last DOOM. Maxing a stat doesn't necessary need to mean perfection.
Still, I really don't see how this can be worse than bullet sponges and boosting numbers which are invevitably paired by enemies (= useless boost if not for player's illusion). We're going off toipic, though, I think.

The combat zones are no different.

Ahah. Perhaps I misunderstood the setting.

On the topic of combat... Doesn’t really matter what kind of lowly FPS form it takes if lowly FPS is what it is going to be. Boring is boring even if you fried it in butter.

Last edited:
V being capable with firearms from the game's start is hardly far-fetched.
Capable, sure.
I grew up shooting gophers on a farm. During military basic the instructors quickly noticed I already knew how to shoot. They gave me a few pointers on how to shoot better and pretty much left me alone (there were LOTS of other people that needed their help more).
I'm not saying 'V' needs to be a total newb, but this assumption that days of playing video games translates into actual shooting skill is more then laughable. Later in my career I had the dubious honor of teaching the video game generation how to handle a real weapon ... it was highly amusing at times.

\
I'm not saying 'V' needs to be a total newb, but this assumption that days of playing video games translates into actual shooting skill is more then laughable. Later in my career I had the dubious honor of teaching the video game generation how to handle a real weapon ... it was highly amusing at times.

Just to be clear, that isn't something I posted.

I'd chalk V's familiarity with firearms up to being partially raised by gang-members, in a violent neighborhood, training provided by a Corporate employer, or a youth spent Mad Maxing with Nomad clans.

Of course V should have some familiarity with weapons. That really shouldn't even be up for debate. If you live on the streets of Night City or roam with a Nomad clan, as NCN said, you're going to learn a thing or two about firearms.

Perhaps a Corporate background might have less military action depending on what CDPR means by Corporate (were you just an office grunt or an actual agent?), but V wouldn't become a mercenary if they weren't expecting to use weapons.

However, basic street merc skill level and high-end assassin/Solo are two different things. There is room for visual and functional improvement to be sure.

Well, anyway as long as is a videogame characters will start on the "zero" level when lorewise they are over that there will be that kind of strange things happening.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I expect 'V' to be a total incompetent with firearms at the start of the game. I expect 'V' to have at least basic skill, after all 'V' starts the game as a merc for hire. BUT ... 'V' is not a skilled and experienced Solo, they're a young adult just embarking on their new career; and given their age probably not a military vet.

Yet V does whole jobs alone, which is really extraordinary by Cyberpunk 2020 standard.
Well, Solo is like prestige class when it comes to combat. In tabletop they have a perk Combat Sense that puts them in different league than any other class that can use weapons. But tabletop has more areas for other classes to shine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom