Do NPCs Respawn?

+
So, like I've been doing obsessively for way to long now I'm watching some more gameplay video. The one I'm watching now for like the 100th time is the 48-min walkthrough from 2018. They mention the NPCs living their lives and whatnot. So it got me thinking. If someone were to take out random NPCs. You know people that would never give you a quest they're just inhabitants of the world. If you kill them will they respawn or would you notice the "herd" slowly thinning out as those people are killed?

The hard thing about this is there`s a whole cities worth of NPC`s so in theory you couldn`t " thin out the herd " . Maybe a lttle place out in the Badlands like we saw
This scene seems to bet set in a more country side area. Do you guys think  we will seeing the outskirts of the city or that it will be urban life  everywhere (

I am sure the Devs have said there are some NPC`s like the children you can`t kill but the rest even some Quest givers you can kill .

The hard thing about this is there`s a whole cities worth of NPC`s so in theory you couldn`t " thin out the herd " . Maybe a lttle place out in the Badlands like we saw
View attachment 11063618
I am sure the Devs have said there are some NPC`s like the children you can`t kill but the rest even some Quest givers you can kill .

Yup we do know that you can't kill kids, but can kill NPCs. What I wonder if for example you were to kill everyone who wears red shirts (Star Trek style) would we see these red shirts respawn.

My guess is they will respawn under the " there so many NPC`s in NC rule " I just Googled it NC population is 6 mill so you will have to go out to a small place and kill NPC`s to find out :shrug:

Yes. You’ll never thin the herd. My guess is NPC’s are procedurally generated and if you kill one another will come by to replace it. The day night cycle just means that they’ll do stuff throughout the day if you follow them

So, like I've been doing obsessively for way to long now I'm watching some more gameplay video. The one I'm watching now for like the 100th time is the 48-min walkthrough from 2018. They mention the NPCs living their lives and whatnot. So it got me thinking. If someone were to take out random NPCs. You know people that would never give you a quest they're just inhabitants of the world. If you kill them will they respawn or would you notice the "herd" slowly thinning out as those people are killed?

They do respawn, you cannot destroy gangs by simply killing their members, I remember having read so.

As this does not appear to be a, let's call it "Skyrim or Fallout" based approach to NPCs (that feature a large number of unique NPCs actually housed or put somewhere with simulated schedules), this is more of the usual open world city approach where NPCs, at least non-unique ones, respawn.

It only makes sense in such a packed city. You can't obviously simulate all of them at once for performance and possible gameplay reasons. Is it fun to bump into people left and right constantly in very packed and visited places? I dunno, maybe not after countless hours of trying to get around on foot, or driving on overpacked streets.

So the alternative in simulating a large city is basically an adequate number of NPCs depending on location and time while having an endless amount of them. This might be handled differently for remote areas where you can likely thin out the herd there in more apparent fashion, but I reckon if it's non-unique NPCs they will respawn as well eventually, like badland raiders.

It will just feel more like thinning out the herd because the respawn countdown will be higher compared to the inner city plaza as example because losses would be quickly "replenished" there.

But in the end, it's wait and see. One month and a bit, then we can test it ourselves.

But long story short, as not literally every NPC (even non-named ones) are fully persistent throughout the game and in their respective locations or simulated and thus "finite", you cannot turn the city into a ghost town. That would not be intended anyway even if it might be funny to try.

Devs already said running amok will eventually put to a stop by force escalation of corporate security and city police forces meaning you wouldn't survive running amok in the city.

Yes. You’ll never thin the herd. My guess is NPC’s are procedurally generated and if you kill one another will come by to replace it. The day night cycle just means that they’ll do stuff throughout the day if you follow them

I doubt they will be procedurally generated. More likely there is a such a large amount and 2 of the same arent allowed to spawn in the same area.

Well, in the trailer and Demo you can see pedestrians despawning in certain locations, some clones in all gameplays (including Night wire Eps)
I think that NPCs are generated randomly :v

NPCs are generated randomly but the system will account for the district and its wealth and time of day. You can find plenty of suits in corporate city centre turning the day but it's not that safe turning the night for example when the boostergangs come out to play.

The cyberware and clothes NPCs wear is randomized too so even if you see the same NPC they wont look 100% the same

In most open world games you will see same random NPCs it's difficult thing to work around I'd imagine. I'm no dev myself but it seems like a complex problem to solve. I dont really care so long as there is plenty of variety personally.

The debate about being able to kill only certain types of NPC led to many modders in Skyrim ( and maybe Fallout also) coming up with ways around 'the rules' = I am interested in how 2077 and modders are going to be allowed to interact, not especially on this exact topic but in general

On a less serial killer vibe, are npc's consistent? Can you have a one night stand and then find that person again? Will they remember you?

On a less serial killer vibe, are npc's consistent? Can you have a one night stand and then find that person again? Will they remember you?

LOL. The question was meant to be more about how much weight ones wonton killing (like when driving) would have on the world around you. If each NPC had a simulated life. For example you might see a janitor at a convenience store and then one day he's not there because you ran over him with your car while chasing some boosters around.

As for the case of the one night stand. It would be a bit disappointing if you couldn't follow up with them.

Devs already said running amok will eventually put to a stop by force escalation of corporate security and city police forces meaning you wouldn't survive running amok in the city.

My hope, as a rogue type player, is that the NPC's are not omniscient. Kill a man from the shadows, no witnesses and I hacked the cams, but suddenly the entire Tyger Claw gang hates me.

My hope, as a rogue type player, is that the NPC's are not omniscient. Kill a man from the shadows, no witnesses and I hacked the cams, but suddenly the entire Tyger Claw gang hates me.
Yes, the best kind of stealth is one where there are "no witnesses." I have never understood games that had reputation systems that counted stealth kills. Nobody knows its you (ding* insert ingame sound and pop-up saying so and so gang hates you more by 1 point) First of all, I just killed a man, and I get the same amount of bad rep as insulting the guys mother or helping out the opposition. Second NOBODY SAW ME! So yeah, hope this game is a bit different. Though at the same time i do want that street cred for stealing cars when nobody sees me... I know it is hypocritical, but meh. (Shrug*)

Yes, the best kind of stealth is one where there are "no witnesses." I have never understood games that had reputation systems that counted stealth kills.
There is are ways of knowing someone did the killing without being around to witness it.
Cameras are the obvious. Second is if anyone knew you were going to be there and everyone is dead, but your body is not among them. Hence why one should use discretion, not talk about jobs in the open, and use a secured line when speaking to people. Such discretion should be rewarded and a lack thereof punished with varied severity. I would love to be put on trial in CP2077, but I highly doubt that will be a thing. Having someone try to try V for a crime, but due to insufficient evidence the case being dismissed.

Importants NPC will probably be either be unkillable (for story reason), or will be gone once you killed them.

I guess for the random gang mobs, security or citizens, they'll be disposable like in GTA, and will pop around just for the sake of giving life to the City (in DE : HR, npc didn't respawn, and once you made a killing spree, the world looked like a ghost town...).

Now if CDPR played the shenmue card and gave everyone a life and a reason to hang out, it would be really impressive given the game's size.

I remember a, long time ago, after having finished Morrowind for the nth time, I decided to go on rampage and hunt down any single NPC in the world. As a principle, I don't like constantly respawning NPC. Especially since this means that you'll never run out of annoying bandits (or gang mebers, in this case) in certain parts of the town.

Respawning NPCs means that If somebody want to go on full Robocop mode in Pacifica or Santo Domingo, (s)he's basically denied the pleasure to eradicate crime once and for all...

Every time a new open world is announced, the game company in question says NPC's live their own life, and people believe NPC's are not randomly generated. Every. Single. Time. How many open world games with thousands of clone NPC's do you guys need to understand that? It's not like Skyrim where you have a small fixed amount of people around... it simply means they have applied a small AI to the NPC's to travel around the map according to time and weather. That's it.

Top Bottom