Do We Need More Immersion?

+
Do We Need More Immersion?

With Blood and Wine coming, more patches as well, possible smaller DLC, and a looming chance of an Enhanced Edition down the road, work is still to be done on the Witcher 3.

I think, compared to modded Skyrim at least, immersion seems to be one of the things Witcher 3 lacks. One t hing, for example, that I really like about this game is being able to clear a deserted town of monsters or bandits, and have the populace return. I really wish they would follow up on that, by having you interact more with the citizens. And even get a quest. Maybe a different type of quest instead of a monster slaying contract.

Example: Establish an ealdorman for the village, or provide help in hiring some guards for the town. Maybe there's a local Nilfgaardian garrison, and you can talk to them to send a few soldiers over in exchange for gaining control of that area.

What do you think? Any other ideas?

i agree, more interaction with environment, and it's consequences, more monster contracts

what "smaller DLC" are you talking about?

With Blood and Wine coming, more patches as well, possible smaller DLC, and a looming chance of an Enhanced Edition down the road, work is still to be done on the Witcher 3.

I think, compared to modded Skyrim at least, immersion seems to be one of the things Witcher 3 lacks. One t hing, for example, that I really like about this game is being able to clear a deserted town of monsters or bandits, and have the populace return. I really wish they would follow up on that, by having you interact more with the citizens. And even get a quest. Maybe a different type of quest instead of a monster slaying contract.

Example: Establish an ealdorman for the village, or provide help in hiring some guards for the town. Maybe there's a local Nilfgaardian garrison, and you can talk to them to send a few soldiers over in exchange for gaining control of that area.

What do you think? Any other ideas?

That would be the exact opposite of immersion for me. Clearing a village of monsters is fine and there are opportunities to do stuff like that in game, but helping the village gain its feet again isn't really something I would imagine Geralt doing.
If anything I think the world should have more random encounters or mini quests you can wander upon by just exploring.

That would be the exact opposite of immersion for me. Clearing a village of monsters is fine and there are opportunities to do stuff like that in game, but helping the village gain its feet again isn't really something I would imagine Geralt doing.
If anything I think the world should have more random encounters or mini quests you can wander upon by just exploring.

I agree 100%

Also, I feel that a bit of social things to do with our romantic partner, at least, would go a long way. they kiss, they have sex and its bye bye for now even tho they are around. Would be nice to engage in activities, romance sex and more dialogue even.

I know its hard work as hell, but hey, i blame you devs :p for making such an awesome, live, rich world :)

Last edited:
I agree 100%

Also, I feel that a bit of social things to do with our romantic partner, at least, would go a long way. they kiss, they have sex and its bye bye for now even tho they are around. Would be nice to engage in activities, romance sex and more dialogue even.

I know its hard work as hell, but hey, i blame you devs :p for making such an awesome, live, rich world :)

I always kinda wanted to see and experience the world in a first person view now and again. Like even just the option to toggle between the two while out of combat and just walking around. Feel like you're really in the northern kingdoms if only for a little bit.

I always kinda wanted to see and experience the world in a first person view now and again. Like even just the option to toggle between the two while out of combat and just walking around. Feel like you're really in the northern kingdoms if only for a little bit.

I've had the game glitch out once and the camera get stuck roughly in Geralt's chest. A first person view could be interesting in a GTA V vein. With the pirouetting and over acrobatic type movements during sword combat the experience would be fucking awful though and a high speed route to spewing over the monitor. For exploration though it was pretty nice. A toggle would be a nice option to have certainly.

I don't see how having a contract monster slayer in search for his daughter getting involved with the politics of governing and protecting the town adds to "immersion".
To be totally honest that detracts from true immersion for me I think it's a word people throw around far to much when trying to describe things they want in games. I won't say no to more witcher content, but I just feel your suggestion adds nothing to immersion of the game.

Immersion improvements to Witcher 3 in my opinion would be:
Potion drinking animation, food and beverage animations, oil and sword repair animations.
Balanced economy, as in if 200 crowns is a village pooling all their coin a bottle of water should be 1 coin, not 42.
Static or at least max difficulty for monsters and foes, a half naked bandit should not be as hard to kill as a knight.
Ability to sit on benches and chairs.
Monsters that have contracts out actually prowl the region or outskirts of the town not just a specific location.

All of those are things that make the actions and world more believable, being able to do tedious non-witcher tasks does not really provide that same feeling for me. In my opinion this should be titled "Do we need more quests"

Last edited:
@gtcarlson While I agree with you, we had all those things in games like the Gothic series (sitting on benches, awesome honing/crafting in G3) and some of them (the eating/applying oil and runes animations at least) in TW1. I think those things might prove hard to add in TW3. Plus, I find the immersion in TW3 good enough, specially with music off. Amazing sound effects and after 1300 hrs the music became irritating.

Like others have stated helping out a village get back on it's feet for little to no reason has no immersive experience to it. More content is always a good thing but if immersion is going to play a key role in that then there needs to be more interactions with characters. The epilogue breaks immersion because it removes all the characters you care about and the choices you made at the very end ultimately have no effect. Since the ending is suppose to be 'The End' then more character interactions up to that point would make the story a whole lot more enjoyable, laying in bed with Yen/Triss and having conversations and such would make it seem like this person actually loves Geralt and not just says they do, the same thing with Zoltan and Dandelion; They're established in the previous games as Geralt's closest friends but in The Witcher 3 there's nothing that really hints at them being best pals, drinking with Zoltan and Dandelion as an activity would make things all the more immersive.

Obviously though, it'd have to feel like part of the game and not just a tacked-on fan service which would be very hard to do in this case.

I agree that Geralt shouldn't/wouldn't get involved in village politics like that. He clears the village, gets a sense of satisfaction from it, and occasionally the village will get a merchant to sell more crap to.

Would have loved the chance to play first person. There were so many times when Geralt would have been able to see something but I couldn't because of the camera limitations (like, if there a ledge I can jump onto here or am I going to plunge to my death).

Would have preferred the levelling of quests/monsters scaled better but at the same time as I wasn't that gripped by the main story I managed to do most side quests before they greyed out.

I really wish they'd spent a little time getting the reins right when horse riding.. as someone who has ridden for over 30 years, seeing the reins hang round the horses' knees all the time genuinely bugs me. No wonder Roach run into things all the time.

*snip*

I really wish they'd spent a little time getting the reins right when horse riding.. as someone who has ridden for over 30 years, seeing the reins hang round the horses' knees all the time genuinely bugs me. No wonder Roach run into things all the time.

This had me laughing hard! =)

I don't see how having a contract monster slayer in search for his daughter getting involved with the politics of governing and protecting the town adds to "immersion".
To be totally honest that detracts from true immersion for me I think it's a word people throw around far to much when trying to describe things they want in games. I won't say no to more witcher content, but I just feel your suggestion adds nothing to immersion of the game.

Immersion improvements to Witcher 3 in my opinion would be:
Potion drinking animation, food and beverage animations, oil and sword repair animations.
Balanced economy, as in if 200 crowns is a village pooling all their coin a bottle of water should be 1 coin, not 42.
Static or at least max difficulty for monsters and foes, a half naked bandit should not be as hard to kill as a knight.
Ability to sit on benches and chairs.
Monsters that have contracts out actually prowl the region or outskirts of the town not just a specific location.

All of those are things that make the actions and world more believable, being able to do tedious non-witcher tasks does not really provide that same feeling for me. In my opinion this should be titled "Do we need more quests"

immersion is subjective, everyone has his own opinion/taste/liking

Last edited:
Gonna have to agree with previous counter-posts. I'm not really seeing any immersion issues at all, especially not the ones you're talking about.

I think, compared to modded Skyrim at least, immersion seems to be one of the things Witcher 3 lacks.

I would probably say that the opposite is true. Skyrim is great in its own regard but I personally think Witcher 3 has MORE immersion simply because the world it more tailored to you (the player) being a witcher and you have specific friends and romance interests that you can relate to.

Skyrim is a great game, and I've logged more hours that I dare to count, but the main character is very "malleable"... so despite it being a great adventure it always feels a little disconnected to me. Witcher 3 I think is a more intimate experience personally.

I do think the immersion in Witcher 3 could be a lot better. The immersion is very good in some ways, but worse than older games in other ways.

The whole "fast travel" system breaks immersion for me. It makes no sense to fast travel from sign posts. If I'm sitting on my horse, why do I need to get off to fast travel? And after I have fast traveled - my horse is nowhere to be seen and has to be summoned? And sometimes I have seen multiple Roaches in the same place...
The fast travel worked much better in Elder Scrolls Oblivion. Just travel from your horse - it was simple, logical and never caused any wierd situations.

The conversations can also break immersion. I had taken a Cat potion so everything was black and white but when speaking to someone the graphics reverted back to full-colour, and then back to black and white after I left the conversation. Also after finishing a conversation I often find that either Geralt or the person I was talking to are in a completely different position (standing on table, wandered off to a different area, etc).

Obviously the graphics in Witcher 3 are amazing but in some ways they are lacking. E.g. there are no footprints in sand/mud/snow etc! Seems like an oversight as I would have thought that it would be relatively easy to add "fake" footprints that fade out after a few seconds.

And I do feel that economy makes no sense. I have so much valuable loot to sell that I wonder why I would even bother being a witcher and killing monsters.

Top Bottom