Do we want Witcher 4 ?

+

Do we want Witcher 4 ?

• Yes, playing as Geralt again. Can never get too much Geralt.

Votes: 400 40.9%
  • Yes, with new predefined character, created by CD Projekt or Sapkowski.

Votes: 243 24.9%
  • Yes, with our own custom created character.

Votes: 172 17.6%
  • No, CD Projekt should create new IPs, new worlds. Witcher has ended.

Votes: 162 16.6%

• Total voters
I definitelly vote for character creator like in Cyberpunk. In my opinion creation of our own character gives the best immersion. And is suitable for everyone, you can play as any gender with any appearance (character can looks similar to Geralt or Ciri or anyone). In other hand if you force player to predefined charatcer they may not feel it. Some players can feel the connection with main character only when character has specific gender or appearance. Also we can not forget that we are talking about RPG - role playing game, being able to feel connection with main character is one of the key factor in this type of games.
But you understand that the game will never be able to REALLY take into account the character's settings. And the more options, the lower the quality of interactivity. And Cyberpunk2077 is a vivid example of how many character settings do not affect anything - neither the plot nor the dialogues. The choice of gender in the game does not change anything at all, except for pronouns in dialogues. The plot doesn't change one bit. The hero is literally no different from the heroine.
When a pre-written hero has a background - biography, character, appearance - this gives the writers a base, a basis for developing ideas, as was done beautifully in the Witcher series. The hero has something to remember, something to talk about with other characters.
Or, for example, why in “The Witcher 3” there are many sets of stylish armor of different types, but in “Cyberpunk 2077” there is instead a first-person view with a camera flying over the asphalt? Because clothes can normally be designed only for one specific figure of the hero, if you realize that such things are expensive to develop.

But you understand that the game will never be able to REALLY take into account the character's settings. And the more options, the lower the quality of interactivity. And Cyberpunk2077 is a vivid example of how many character settings do not affect anything - neither the plot nor the dialogues. The choice of gender in the game does not change anything at all, except for pronouns in dialogues. The plot doesn't change one bit. The hero is literally no different from the heroine.
When a pre-written hero has a background - biography, character, appearance - this gives the writers a base, a basis for developing ideas, as was done beautifully in the Witcher series. The hero has something to remember, something to talk about with other characters.
Or, for example, why in “The Witcher 3” there are many sets of stylish armor of different types, but in “Cyberpunk 2077” there is instead a first-person view with a camera flying over the asphalt? Because clothes can normally be designed only for one specific figure of the hero, if you realize that such things are expensive to develop.
I got your point, and understand the difficulties, but in Cyberpunk they are handled them quite well and technology still progressing. With character creation you write your own story and next episodes can follow that story. It's more immersive, because you can place your alter-ego in the game world, but for example Geralt will be always a Geralt not you, it is different immersion level.

I got your point, and understand the difficulties, but in Cyberpunk they are handled them quite well and technology still progressing. With character creation you write your own story and next episodes can follow that story. It's more immersive, because you can place your alter-ego in the game world, but for example Geralt will be always a Geralt not you, it is different immersion level.
You overestimate the capabilities of games. No game will ever be able to develop the player's "own story". Because the main thing is the work of screenwriters, who must know who they are writing about. And it’s not just that the writers can’t guess the player’s whims in advance, but also the technically unrealistic amount of work involved in implementing numerous options. Even when playing as a specific hero with a backstory, the player's decisions often have negligible consequences (for example, when transferring saves in the Witcher series), especially there is no point in expecting much from editable characters.
To me, playing as a custom character reminds me of playing as a mannequin, a doll without properties (as is done in the games of the Souls series and many others).

You overestimate the capabilities of games. No game will ever be able to develop the player's "own story". Because the main thing is the work of screenwriters, who must know who they are writing about. And it’s not just that the writers can’t guess the player’s whims in advance, but also the technically unrealistic amount of work involved in implementing numerous options. Even when playing as a specific hero with a backstory, the player's decisions often have negligible consequences (for example, when transferring saves in the Witcher series), especially there is no point in expecting much from editable characters.
To me, playing as a custom character reminds me of playing as a mannequin, a doll without properties (as is done in the games of the Souls series and many others).
So we have different opinions and different feelings and that is perfectly fine. At least one of us should be happy with the decision about main character in upcoming new Witcher :)

Do we want Witcher 4 ?

UPDATE: The second option is not phrased as clearly as I wanted. It means predefined character created by CDP or Sapkowski, therefore it can include Ciri. If you want next Witcher game to star Ciri, the second option is for that.

The other topic regarding this question is missing one important option in the poll, so here is a new one.
I saw this thread posted over on the polish forum, figured it would be nice to see international results too.
This is regarding the future of Witcher franchise AFTER the updates, DLCs and expansions - regarding the possible full Witcher game.
Vote for what you would like to see the most.

Here is the link to original polish thread:
http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/1906-Chcemy-Wiedźmina-4-ankieta
YES. LET'S GOOO W4
Post automatically merged:

No and especially not as Ciri. She seems alot less complex then Geralt and other characters.
Definitely an interesting take. Can't agree, however. Not only has Ciri not really had the time within the game to flesh out her personality, but she is definitely complex, you just have to want to see it.

YES. LET'S GOOO W4
Post automatically merged:

Definitely an interesting take. Can't agree, however. Not only has Ciri not really had the time within the game to flesh out her personality, but she is definitely complex, you just have to want to see it.
I already got tired of her in the book cycle back in the 1990s, this Ciri. For some reason, everyone saved her endlessly, searched for her, and this happened from book to book. She was simply a narcissistic person; the author did not bother to endow her with any properties that would be interesting to the reader.
The game's Ciri is the same, she just has some vague superhuman abilities added to her, which makes the gameplay for her simply more implausible than the gameplay for Geralt.

Top Bottom