Do we want Witcher 4 ?

+

Do we want Witcher 4 ?

• Yes, playing as Geralt again. Can never get too much Geralt.

Votes: 400 40.9%
  • Yes, with new predefined character, created by CD Projekt or Sapkowski.

Votes: 243 24.9%
  • Yes, with our own custom created character.

Votes: 172 17.6%
  • No, CD Projekt should create new IPs, new worlds. Witcher has ended.

Votes: 162 16.6%

• Total voters
Didn't vote because it didn't have the obvious option: Ciri.

I am fairly confident that in The Witcher 4 you'll play as Ciri. Whether you solely play as Ciri is another matter. And I'm just as confident Geralt, Triss, Yen, etc. will still be very important to the story and Ciri's adventures. You'll also likely see the progress of those relationships you established, and the consequences of the choices you made, as Geralt. But you'll be seeing most of it with Ciri's eyes.

She is tailor-made to be the protagonist.

* Fans already know and like her.
* Already established backstory, character and set of relationships.
* She's connected to the continuing Witcher story and major characters.
* She's already been a player character.
* She has room to establish her own new friendships, romances and rivalries.
* She fits the combat system while her magic allows for greater changes and more variety than was allowed with the old Signs system.

So, to answer the thread in regards to the choice I just outlined: yes. Very yes.

Didn't vote because it didn't have the obvious option: Ciri.

According to the OP, the second option includes Ciri:

"UPDATE: The second option is not phrased as clearly as I wanted. It means predefined character created by CDP or Sapkowski, therefore it can include Ciri. If you want next Witcher game to star Ciri, the second option is for that"

I'd love to play as Geralt again. The witcher 4 could be bunch of short stories from past, present etc.
There's is no need for grand world-is-in-danger kind of plot anymore, but still there would be much to explore in the universe. And I loved how the Hearts of stone felt. Say like 10-15 that kind of stories - others smaller, others bigger, would be absolutely pleasant to have!

I'd love to play as Geralt again. The witcher 4 could be bunch of short stories from past, present etc.
There's is no need for grand world-is-in-danger kind of plot anymore, but still there would be much to explore in the universe. And I loved how the Hearts of stone felt. Say like 10-15 that kind of stories - others smaller, others bigger, would be absolutely pleasant to have!

That does not need a new game to be honest. I would be happy if a smaller part of CDPR stay a bit longer with the TW3 and add some more content. But I have already stated this.

That does not need a new game to be honest. I would be happy if a smaller part of CDPR stay a bit longer with the TW3 and add some more content. But I have already stated this.

I'm going to have to agree with that. I think a lot of us are all Witcher'd out to be honest. If it's just patches and general updates then I'm all for it.

I'm going to have to agree with that. I think a lot of us are all Witcher'd out to be honest. If it's just patches and general updates then I'm all for it.

I could imagine a game featuring Ciri as a main character but as a spinoff. If CDPR will develop the TW4 and if not Geralt will be the main character I would say the young Vesemir would be perfect. Go back to the "golden age" of the witchers without the "saving the world" plot and focusing on the traditions of the witchers and how they behave, and what is feels like to travel on the Path searching for job.

All Witcher'ed out? Not me.
I'm one of those people who didn't know about The Witcher before TW3 came out (yes shame on me, I just hadn't heard about it before).

I am at my absolute peak right now and I ADORE the story, I've gone out and bought all the books and have started reading them. I am ready for so much more and I feel very sad that I got in "late" for this series. If only I'd known the first or second game, I could get blown away and know that a new game was coming.
But now I can only know that no new game will (propably) ever come, and Blood and Wine will be the last addition on this journey that is still SO new to me.
It's so sad. Anticipating a new game in your favorite series is one of the best feelings in the World.

I read the interview as well, and I must say I don't find it likely they will make a new Witcher game. All I can hope for is that, maybe, they will add small patches or DLC after Blood and Wine, with some quests. And I'm afraid that will be the end of something that I wish would continue for much longer.

At least I still have all the books to get through.

I think character creation and what it would entail would be a horrible move for the franchise. What sets The Witcher apart from its competitors is its rich, detailed, personal (and personalised) story. By adding character and class creation you create a much more diluted and bland world. You see it with all the other games that do the same: Fallout, Dragon Age, Diablo, all the MMOs, etc. Not to mention that The Witcher world doesn't lend itself to classes - Witchers are supposed to only fight monsters, Mages only rarely fight, Bards don't fight at all. The only people constantly fighting are soldiers - in authentic pitched battles.

And what would be the difference with creating your own character? The games are already highly-tailored to your character (in this case Geralt). Is it any better if you designed their face (which probably looks wonky due to the creator) or gave them their name (which no one will ever say)? And then CDPR have to add twice the spoken dialogue for the main character, maybe more if there are different races. Then they have to add in hundreds of alternate lines whenever someone references them to make sure that all the he/she, sir/miss, elf/human, witcher/mage, etc references are covered. And also add tons of variants to the various armours and clothing. And dozens of animation varients. All this to end up with a much poorer product that looks more like something EA would publish. I think CDPR are a lot smarter than that.

Changing topic:

Another hint that Ciri will likely be the next protagonist. The final quest of the game: "Something Ends, Something Begins". Geralt's last words or actions with Ciri are either reminding her she is a Witcher (and she never actually becomes Empress) or a virtual passing-of-the-torch scene where he hands her her silver sword and an epilogue where he teaches her everything he knows. I know the "Something Ends, Something Begins" is a reference from the books but CDPR uses these references differently - tying them to events in the game and giving them a new significance. If the 'something ending' is Geralt's part of the saga, then 'something begining' may be Ciri's part - and that passing-of-the-torch scene takes on a greater significance.

And to reinforce that even more - and also Geralt's continued involvement in Ciri's adventures - is Dandelion's final lines in both journal entries:

"Where did the witcher and his ward venture, you ask, and what became of them? That, dear reader, is another story."

and

"What did fate have in store for Geralt and Ciri? That, dear reader, is another story."

I think character creation and what it would entail would be a horrible move for the franchise. What sets The Witcher apart from its competitors is its rich, detailed, personal (and personalised) story. By adding character and class creation you create a much more diluted and bland world. You see it with all the other games that do the same: Fallout, Dragon Age, Diablo, all the MMOs, etc.

Fallout is not bad, at least when not written by Bethesda. And there is also the option of a pre-defined, but new protagonist (written entirely by CDPR), or one of the other witchers like Vesemir or Eskel.

Another hint that Ciri will likely be the next protagonist. The final quest of the game: "Something Ends, Something Begins". Geralt's last words or actions with Ciri are either reminding her she is a Witcher (and she never actually becomes Empress) or a virtual passing-of-the-torch scene where he hands her her silver sword and an epilogue where he teaches her everything he knows.

Yes, there are hints that Ciri will be the new protagonist in future game(s), although I would personally find that rather disappointing, and would most likely not buy the game. I prefer new pre-defined characters not based on the books - CDPR write characters the best when they are either entirely new, or are copied from the books without changes. The latter are not good in an RPG where you want character development and choices, and the writing in the games tends to get worse when it tries to change book characters.

Fallout is not bad, at least when not written by Bethesda. And there is also the option of a pre-defined, but new protagonist (written entirely by CDPR), or one of the other witchers like Vesemir or Eskel.

I disagree. I was a huge Bethesda fan before Fallout 4. That game was such a disappointment. It is just radiant quests tied around a weak story and crafting system. They used to be the benchmark for me, until CDPR blew them out of the water in every way. I also find it very hard to take most RPGs I played (before The Witcher) seriously anymore. The writing is so pedestrian and condescending. CDPR feels like one of the few developers (there are others) to respect me, my time, my money and my intelligence, as an adult gamer.

Yes, there are hints that Ciri will be the new protagonist in future game(s), although I would personally find that rather disappointing, and would most likely not buy the game. I prefer new pre-defined characters not based on the books - CDPR write characters the best when they are either entirely new, or are copied from the books without changes. The latter are not good in an RPG where you want character development and choices, and the writing in the games tends to get worse when it tries to change book characters.

I wish people would get over the books difference. These are two alternate 'universes' now. You have one in the books, envisioned by the author. You have the one in the games, envisioned by CDPR. There are many similarities and many glaring differences - they aren't the same anymore (they never were). Events that happened in the books, unless explicitly shown in the games, can't be assumed to have happened - and likely didn't, or, at least, not in the same fashion. CDPR sees characters and events differently, felt things needed change or improvement. I, personally, prefer their vision over the other. You still have the other version, if you prefer. I think it is rather insulting to insist they bow to the 'pressure of the books' and change to fit. Most of the people playing the games haven't read the books, and, likely, those that have did so because the games got them interested in the first place. I, personally, think the games surpassed the books long ago and CDPR's alternate version of The Witcher has earned its place in the sun.

"Not good for an RPG"? I felt The Witcher 3 was a pretty good RPG - probably the best game I've played. The awards certainly attest to it being pretty good. I think this is another instance where people feel that the book has some sort of authority over what happens in the games - it doesn't - and then get upset when things are different. You're just going to have to come to terms that these are two alternate versions - like Battlestar Galactica and its reimagining, for example. And just like in that example, I think the new version is far superior. But if you prefer the other, that's cool. It's still there. Just don't whinge that the Cylons are human and that Boomer's an evil, Asian chick. Or, worse, insist they change things back.

And Ciri has a clean slate now. I think that's what makes her so great as a possible protagonist. I think, in writing new adventures for her, CDPR will be less tied to what has been covered elsewhere and free to write new, original content. If anything, they will be leaning more on the history they've created with the previous games - not that envisioned elsewhere by the author.

Last edited:
I disagree. I was a huge Bethesda fan before Fallout 4. That game was such a disappointment. It is just radiant quests tied around a weak story and crafting system. They used to be the benchmark for me, until CDPR blew them out of the water in every way. I also find it very hard to take most RPGs I played (before The Witcher) seriously anymore. The writing is so pedestrian and condescending. CDPR feels like one of the few developers (there are others) to respect me, my time, my money and my intelligence, as an adult gamer.

My point was that bad writing in Bethesda games is not necessarily the result of their support for character creation, they might just not have good writers, nor care much about writing because the games still sell anyway.

I wish people would get over the books difference. These are two alternate 'universes' now. You have one in the books, envisioned by the author. You have the one in the games, envisioned by CDPR.

While I do not disagree with your view regarding the books, the problem is that the people at CDPR cannot get over the books difference themselves. When some of their writers want to change something compared to the books, others will be against it, and this can result in inconsistent and half-hearted writing. And over time they do tend to give book fans what they want, because they care about the public image of the company, and book fans can be very vocal about the games not being "lore friendly". You can see a trend towards the books if you compare the three games. Thus, if a sequel is made with Ciri as the main protagonist and Geralt still in a relatively major role, I find it likely that it will mostly ignore your choices from TW3 (as usual between the games, since a proper save import is expensive to implement, and the majority of players does not care enough to make it worth the costs), and Ciri will unconditionally be a witcher and Geralt probably with Yennefer (or alone in the case of a Geralt sequel), and the game might not even bother to give an explanation. And, as noted above, Ciri's development in such sequel would likely be limited by some of the writers wanting to stay true to "book Ciri", especially with all the pressure from fans that want the same.

In an ideal world, it could be possible to avoid those problems, although even then I would still prefer new characters, but realistically I agree with this post that said
Nope. I'm ready to move on to cyberpunk. The books are an anchor at this point.

While I do not disagree with your view regarding the books, the problem is that the people at CDPR cannot get over the books difference themselves. When some of their writers want to change something compared to the books, others will be against it, and this can result in inconsistent and half-hearted writing. And over time they do tend to give book fans what they want, because they care about the public image of the company, and book fans can be very vocal about the games not being "lore friendly". You can see a trend towards the books if you compare the three games. Thus, if a sequel is made with Ciri as the main protagonist and Geralt still in a relatively major role, I find it likely that it will mostly ignore your choices from TW3 (as usual between the games, since a proper save import is expensive to implement, and the majority of players does not care enough to make it worth the costs), and Ciri will unconditionally be a witcher and Geralt probably with Yennefer (or alone in the case of a Geralt sequel), and the game might not even bother to give an explanation. And, as noted above, Ciri's development in such sequel would likely be limited by some of the writers wanting to stay true to "book Ciri", especially with all the pressure from fans that want the same.

I think you've formed a very cynical view but you're free to have it. We'll have to agree to disagree. The main reason I avoided the forums so long (and still avoid most of it) is the fighting and bickering. I enjoyed this game immensely and don't want to ruin that.

I think it'd be very very easy to start a new game set after TW3 (since it tied a lot of things off). I think I posted a suggestion about it either here, or in the "what do we want in The Witcher 4" thread. But you obviously disagree, so no point fighting about it. Like I said: points made, agree to disagree.

Last edited:
Edit: Just noticed that I posted this one in the wrong thread. It was meant to be posted in the thread for Witcher 4 suggestions "What do we want in Witcher 4?". If someone wants to move it that would be appreciated :)

I think I would rather see a new series, but I am fine with another Witcher series if it is done well.

A really cool thing I think would be to enhance the roleplaying experience of the game by adding character customization, races etc.

One way I see this being done is that they allow us to play different classes, and each class has a predefined race, story and starting location. Imagine in example that you can play as a Witcher, Sorcerer/Sorceress, Swift archer using daggers as support etc and Warrior using heavy weapons like hammers and axes. Each of these classes would have a race tagged to them, the Witcher and the Sorcerer/Sorceress would be humans, the archer would be an elf and the Warrior a dwarf. The starting point for in example the dwarf could be Mahakam, and similarly each class could have its own starting point. Perhaps a class and race for Zerrikania?

Why restrict classes and races? Because it allows for predefined characters which allows for richer story telling as is done for Geralt in Witcher 3, furthermore it allows for voice acted player characters without breaking immersion.

Each story doesn't have to be as long as Geralt's story in Witcher 3, each story could be cut in length by a significant amount, making stories much easier to craft without having to worry so much about plot holes. The game length then lives on through the replayability which in this manner would be greater than before, as it allows you to start fresh in a true manner, with new characters who fight in different ways and has stories to them which are unique.

Last edited:
I think you've formed a very cynical view but you're free to have it. We'll have to agree to disagree. The main reason I avoided the forums so long (and still avoid most of it) is the fighting and bickering. I enjoyed this game immensely and don't want to ruin that.

Sorry if that came off as overly negative, and I definitely do not share the book centric view myself, although I do have some doubts regarding how CDPR would handle a sequel with the existing characters.

Only if playing as Geralt is involved otherwise i'll pass and save my money. It'd be nice to see your choices carry over from the previous games involving the non-human vs human conflicts. TW3 had virtually none of that. But of course there are other conflicts too. More choices and politics playing out.

Last edited:
Okay, I voted for a Witcher game where we can create our own character. I'm thinking a prequel set back in the witcher schools' golden days, when the monster hunting trade was going strong, maybe not long after the first Conjunction of the Spheres first brought monsters into the world. Choose which school you belong to, create your own character. All kinds of mouth watering possibilities. But I have to say, I would have voted for all three if the poll would let me. Geralt's not even a hundred years old yet! He's still got plenty of adventure left in him! I'd love to see a sequel, preferably one that uses a completed game save from The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt to shape the world. Who'd you end up with, Triss or Yenefer? Or did you screw up and end up alone? Is Ciri an empress or a witcher? Is the Bloody Baron still alive? Oh, the possibilities!

I'd love to play a new game as Ciri, too. Either set after TW3 or, maybe better, set parallel to it. Remember, Ciri was gone for years and years running from the Wild Hunt across numerous worlds. A game as Ciri adapting to life as Empress of Nilfgaard would be as awesome as a game that showed us her adventures before Geralt found her again. You could even do both. In the present, Ciri is Empress of Nilfgaard doing Empress-y things. Attending court, waging wars, beating the candy out of potential suitors, dealing with a royal level of intrigue, while in her dreams and memories, she's on the run from the Wild Hunt.

Vesemir's story would also make for a great game. Play as Vesemir in his far off youth, see Geralt as a child before he became a witcher, help train a new generation of witchers. Gods know what kind of hell old Vesemir walked through in his hayday. I'd bet dollars to donuts it would make for a grand adventure. Several grand adventures.

The one thing I absolutely would NOT vote for is an end to the witcher world. Maybe, MAYBE Geralt of Rivia's story has ended, preferably in peaceful retirement with Triss/Yenefer with his last mark in history as being the first witcher to die in his bed. I would not be happy with that, but I could accept it and live with it. But there is no way in hell anyone can convince me that's all the world of the witcher has to offer. Geralt was not the only witcher. If Assassin's Creed and Final Fantasy and The Elder Scrolls can still be going for decades, then so can The Witcher!

I think I don't really care about a Ciri game or a game about some new character until I get more closure with Geralt

Vesemir Prequel or Eskel Game while Geralt is in Flotsam or Ciri/Eskel Game in the Future. Maybe playing an unknown character in Nilfgaard from the Viper School. Visiting Francesca Findabair, Kovir, Cintra and Rivia! Maybe visit the Aen Elle?

The Problem is to find a good plot. We had the wild hunt, war politics, witcher problems, the elder blood. I can only see one thing. Aen Elle reuniting with the Aen Seidhe and Francesca Findabair. More yen and ciri. If geralt is given a small part i know this part would steal the show from the main chara and Shani third option girlfriend! many were pissed ( :( ) because Shani was not in Blood and Wine ending. Battle G O'D(his stopping time power must have a source in the underworld and ciri could help to get there) would be cool too or this crazy vampire. I killed everything besides this 2 and that a**h*** vampire in novigrad and for the love of god don't bringt daddy back with black magic and don't make him a bad boy. Maybe some underwater level with magic or some bird folks in the clouds? The witcher contracts must come back , they are gold.

Last edited:
Top Bottom