Do you actually like CP77 being shorter then Witcher3 ?

+

Do you actually like CP77 being shorter then Witcher3 ?

• Yes (because)

Votes: 31 7.1%
  • No (because)

Votes: 365 83.9%
  • Undecided

Votes: 39 9.0%

• Total voters

bign

Forum regular
Short or long story, it doesn't matter, it's the quality of the story that matters.

All previously stated positions considered, this is something of an interesting dataset to look at.

1610729767878.png

We can see that CP2077 compares pretty readily to more some of the longer scripted-experience type games (Hades, Nier:Automata), but starts looking shallow-by-half when compared to its nominal genre competitors (TW3, RDR2, BotW), even coming up short on average player engagement when compared to the newest Assassin's Creed title.

Not to simply be hating, I find it worth noting that CP2077 manages to handily pack in more content than games which are themselves wholly scripted experiences (Tomb Raider, Fallen Order, and Ghosts of Tsushima) which otherwise lack the exceptional replayability of games like Hades/Nier.

Beyond that, it would also seem as if the detail and 'draw' of the Cyberpunk world/lore/aesthetic is enough that even while running a 50% shorter main story, the average player spends another 10 hours in Night City after they would have otherwise left Los Santos in the rearview.

Maybe I'm reading into this and projecting my own thoughts here but if the game itself is a bad game and not enjoyable, it would make sense for the person playing it to be glad it's not a longer affair.

You are absolutely right there. I was talking only about the storyline. In isolation from all the other things (no gameplay, no features, just the story). And two posts up from yours I link to an improvement idea.

Obviously, if you consider the big picture. Even the best of storylines wouldn't help the game much, because of how it feels to play. But I decided not to make a wall of text here about all that.

First of all. I'm not against the short story. I like the idea of replayability very much, if the life-patch, build, reputation have individual influence.
Who knows Vampire:Bloodline has short story, but different life-path is like different story with different ways.
Its just an other viarant of long story. What I mean.
A. Long story - one long way
B. Long story but divided in short different story.

Witcher 2 feels short but it has 2 story path. Depend which group you want to side with.

If you ran through the game you're really missing out.
Because a lot of the side quests are very good, and they also have you interacting with Johnny on some of them, which helps you understand him.

I also do not see this as a short game 100hr and still playing.

bign

Forum regular
All previously stated positions considered, this is something of an interesting dataset to look at.

View attachment 11143988

We can see that CP2077 compares pretty readily to more some of the longer scripted-experience type games (Hades, Nier:Automata), but starts looking shallow-by-half when compared to its nominal genre competitors (TW3, RDR2, BotW), even coming up short on average player engagement when compared to the newest Assassin's Creed title.

Not to simply be hating, I find it worth noting that CP2077 manages to handily pack in more content than games which are themselves wholly scripted experiences (Tomb Raider, Fallen Order, and Ghosts of Tsushima) which otherwise lack the exceptional replayability of games like Hades/Nier.

Beyond that, it would also seem as if the detail and 'draw' of the Cyberpunk world/lore/aesthetic is enough that even while running a 50% shorter main story, the average player spends another 10 hours in Night City after they would have otherwise left Los Santos in the rearview.

Interesting to see. Do you know how they defined main + extra?

No and I will never understand why please the majority who have never finished TW3... The longevity of TW3 comes precisely from its main history (among others things of course) because it allows you to better appreciate, to make links with characters etc ... unlke CP2077...

bign

Forum regular
Hades has a shorter story, but I felt way more invested in the characters of Hades than in Cyberpunk, in my opinion, the story and writing was of a higher calibre. The combat was tight also.

Yes and no (mostly a no)

While playing Witcher3, I never felt the game was too long (I already spent more than 300 hours and am still enjoying it), all missions felt fresh and story telling was just perfect.

As for CP2077, I'm halfway done on my second playthrough, using totally different perks and approaching story missions and gigs differently than on my first run. Still having fun as this time around I feel like I know Night City a lot better so it adds to my immersion.

If the game gets an overhaul (CDPR enabling a lot of the doors that are normally closed, adding areas we previously couldn't visit, car customization, character customization such as hair and makeup, new tatoos, new clothing options, etc). I wouldn't mind doing a new playthrough just so I can see the game from a new fresh perspective...

So, no, I don't like Cyberpunk being shorter than The Witcher3 because they're both really good and I wish I could do more of the good stuff. But I do feel like side gigs do not really add to V's character, as much as they did in The Witcher. Side quest rewards do not feel rewarding... It isn't the same feeling to get a Green Weapon as a mission reward (which I'll scrap along with the other White/Green/Blue stuff that you can pick up anywhere), than getting a cool looking Sword with some lore behind it, a piece of Witcher armor, or a recipe for crafting an item that will help you defeat a monster you will find later in the game :ohstopit:.

TL;DR: No, because when a game its immersive and every side-quest feels rewarding, even if it takes you months to beat it, a couple of hours a day at a time, every play session is fun and leaves you wanting more and looking forward for the next time you'll be able to jump back into the game :shrug:.

Absolutely not

It is an absurd to think RPG games should have a short story. Especially a game based on a tabletop RPG

What they said about make the story short because people didn’t finish Witcher 3 is BS in the most purest form.

My answer here is no, simply because the game is just so amazing and has so much potential that should last much longer.

i did all side quests, missions, basically every icon on the map + other hidden stuff.

Tbh i didn't want story and this whole experience to ever end because going thru all of it was just an amazing experience.

TW3 was long. Something close to 60 quests? I can see how people would complain. I have to think that part of the problem is that the quests seemed to frequently result in some quid-pro-quo. There were also a lot of multipart tasks that had to be completed. That can be really tedious, especially if it cascades.

Given the rich story of TW3, I would have expected a similar level of effort put into the length of the story for CP2077. If they thought that TW3 was too long, maybe make CP2077 a little shorter, or use fewer steps, to trim out the fat.

I feel single player games are "alive" (for the lack of a better word) while their main story is still going. As soon as I finish the main story it's starts to feel like a Hollywood set in which you can see the camera, the once real buildings reveal themselves as cardboard made, etc.

You can "see" the development of characters and feel a more direct interaction with them while the main story is still going on. I buy CDPR for the story and single player experience. So, this time, it felt lacking in that regard. There's some really good single player stuff IMO in the game, but definitely felt too short.

CDPR stated that CP77 will be shorter because lot of players didnt finished Witcher3 and complained it was too long
It was a lie.
A lie that I believed in and, like a stupid fanatic, went on the Internet and convinced people that everything was ok! They will make the main plot shorter, but it will give them more time to work out sidequests and non-linearities.

How wrong I was. The game and side content is bad. And the main plot is bad. And filling the open world is bad.
And only now I understand why the main storyline has become shorter. THEY JUST DIDN'T FINISH IT! It's that simple.
They didn’t finish the game, and then they said that they didn’t finish it on purpose because the PLAYERS ASKED TO DO IT! This is so offensive that it literally makes me cry.

I love long story driven games, because the writers will have enough time to flush out the characters proper.

Nonetheless CB to me is right behind W3 in terms of story/ characters/ world etc...

Top Bottom