Do you actually like the Witcher universe?

+
Nicely put, @volsung . To continue in a similarly meditative stream: In the Middle Ages, the fascination was always with marvels -- wondrous beings, objects, or miraculous events of either divine, or magical origin. These marvels were calculated to awe their audiences, but also offered them matter for contemplation. The mediaeval mind was one of allegory, idealised forms, icons, and a language of symbols, which represented reality, as they understood it. The most successful tales were those that used this language carefully, and not merely to amaze by the sheer number of wonders described. I believe the same is true to-day: what do monsters, sorcerers, or -- more to our present concern -- Witchers mean? As story-tellers, we are confronted by the question of how to tell our tales. If a story is set within a mediaeval world of fantasy, hopefully, the choice should be not purely an aesthetic one. If the authors are thoughtful, a conscious decision has been made, and the chosen medium of narrative has meaning. It is true that the value of entertainment should never be underestimated, however, any tale worth hearing usually contains a bit more substance within it. Setting thus becomes a symbol itself, and speaks to some aspect of the author's intent. Why (fanciful) mediaeval? What does this time-period convey more acutely than our own, or another setting? I offer no conclusions, only considerations. The beauty of symbols -- archetypes even -- is that they can be interpreted a number of ways, opposed to blatant allegory, which usually has a religious, social, or political objective. Food for thought.

Last edited:
I think my ultimate conclusion will have to be 'no', specifically given I have not played past the first hour of the game for sheer lack of interest in basically everything.
Compounded by the fact I'm more the Sci-Fi type rather than the Fantasy type.

A few cases in point:
- From the Xenoblade universe I greatly prefer the "Wii U" game (being Xenoblade Chronicles X)
- My all time favourite RTS game (which I mod Very extensive) is Starcraft, rather than any of the Warcraft installments.

I also have no affinity with any type of world/setting that looks medieval. And by extension I am also not particulairly a fan of witchcraft-esk magic tied into such world/settings.

I think the only true exception to the rule for me there is Mortal Kombat.

I don't mind either high or low fantasy, but there are things about the Witcher universe that feel cobbled together on the back of a napkin. The whole idea of monsters turning up after a cosmic collision feels a bit contrived sci-fi and almost Castlevania, so is a turnoff in a universe that wants to be taken seriously, and some of the steampunk elements to things don't feel period appropriate to me, including the idea of genetic mutations, mutagens, etc, being somehow accepted science in a time period when people use garden herbs to try to stop people dying. It's just weird.

The characterisation in the games more than makes up for it (I haven't read the books), but some of the concepts feel extremely B movie. Basically, it feels as if it sits in an uncanny valley between wanting to be taken seriously as an adult world and wanting to be approached as a comic book. In that regard I actually think the games' recourse to comic book art for credits and intermission scenes makes it all much worse.

PS i thought this thread was from May. It was. Seven years ago.

The whole idea of monsters turning up after a cosmic collision feels a bit contrived sci-fi and almost Castlevania

I'm pretty sure Sapkowski got that idea from Michael Moorcock.

and some of the steampunk elements to things don't feel period appropriate to me, including the idea of genetic mutations, mutagens, etc, being somehow accepted science in a time period when people use garden herbs to try to stop people dying. It's just weird.

That's not steampunk though. Magic and alchemy are treated as science in this world, so I suppose it would be more accurate to call it magitech? Or maybe magibiotech. Personally, I like it when fantasy and sci-fi bleed into each other.

Even though Sapkowski may have taken ideas from the Elric Saga, let's just say this: the Saga of Geralt is far better
Super subjective, but I prefer Elric. Could never really get into the Witcher universe as much, but I've been reading Elric since I was a kid so it's not really fair to compare. :p

Top Bottom