Do you actually like the Witcher universe?

+
Do you actually like the Witcher universe?

Do you prefer a fantasy game set in a realistic setting and environment similar to Game of Thrones or do you prefer a fantasy environment like Dragon Age and Lord of the Ring?

Personally I never understood why a fantasy game does not have a fantasy environment?
Most of the Witcher 3 landscape can be found all over Europe. This was one of the reason why Skyrim was a bore to play compare to the fantasy driven environment of Morrowind. It similar to playing a Sci Fi game with space shuttle instead of space battle cruiser, dreadnought, and destroyer.

What are your thoughts on this subject? What do you prefer and why?
Do you not like having floating island in the sky, cities above cloud, shipwreck on frozen ice cap, forest of mushroom tree and glowing crystal, rift in the sky, etc...?

As a Game of Thrones junkie and being new to The Witcher universe, I would have to say that I love the atmosphere and landscape we see in the videos.

While the Medieval European fantasy is not one of my favourite genres, having been oversaturated by it in my teens, I find The Witcher's universe a refreshing twist on the concept. It acknowledges how much the presence of magic can influence a world, while at the same time providing a handy explanation why the world is still mostly Medieval in spite of it. The mix of subgenres is also appealing; a combination of the old Tolkienian formula, a dark fairy tale atmosphere where folklore is a real, serious source of information (when it isn't a horribly misinterpreted, anyway) and realpolitik of kingdoms and empires struggling for power and survival with armies and spies. Overall, I don't think that there is another series of books that combines so many very conflicting concepts so smoothly, and that's without mentioning all the post-modernist elements.

As for environments, it's all about what the setting is like. The Witcher's realistic environments fit superbly for the setting it's aiming to convey, grounded half in reality, half in a fairy tale world that can be superimposed upon reality. Having bizarre, fantastic environments as the main setting would destroy that grounded feel that the franchise is known for.

Do you not like having floating island in the sky, cities above cloud, shipwreck on frozen ice cap, forest of mushroom tree and glowing crystal, rift in the sky, etc...?

I like all those things.

I also like the layers of realism in the world of the Witcher 3 and of Game of Thrones and the like. I like that those worlds apply fantastical elements to a world very much like our own. For me, the game's differences with reality stand out even more and allows a deeper focus in the directions that are very deep and intricate I think that would be lost if the world had a lot of alien appeal also. That's not to say that games/books/worlds like that don't exist or are bad, but an element I appreciate of Low Fantasy realistic universes is that they seem more believable and I can focus on their deeper issues rather than marvel at the sights.
Personally I never understood why a fantasy game does not have a fantasy environment?
There are different kinds of fantasy -- High and Low fantasy being just two -- and they all focus on different things and yet they are all still fantastical. The setting is still fantasy, regardless of the degree.

Anyway, as I said. I find value in both those types of universes.

I like all those things.

I also like the layers of realism in the world of the Witcher 3 and of Game of Thrones and the like. I like that those worlds apply fantastical elements to a world very much like our own. For me, the game's differences with reality stand out even more and allows a deeper focus in the directions that are very deep and intricate I think that would be lost if the world had a lot of alien appeal also. That's not to say that games/books/worlds like that don't exist or are bad, but an element I appreciate of Low Fantasy realistic universes is that they seem more believable and I can focus on their deeper issues rather than marvel at the sights.

There are different kinds of fantasy -- High and Low fantasy being just two -- and they all focus on different things and yet they are all still fantastical. The setting is still fantasy, regardless of the degree.

Anyway, as I said. I find value in both those types of universes.

Your reasoning is very well thought out and something I never really thought about before. I guess now that I think about it racism and violence are more believable in low compare to high fantasy. Personally for me I thought Witcher 2 environment were more high fantasy like the forest of Flotsam so I am a bit disappointed with the direction CDPR is going with the Witcher 3.

I also didn't know there was such a thing as low and high fantasy. I wonder if mid fantasy would be a balance to both? You have made me more interested in the Witcher 3 now because I just couldn't deal with another Skyrim environment after playing and seeing how amazing and fantasy driven the world in Dragon Age Inquisition look.

I prefer this blend of fantasy and mundane, as it reminds me strongly of real mediaeval tales and legends, which, for the most part, are not set in lands of magical mushrooms, or crystal caves, but rather in our own world, into which the fantastic elements intrude, to disrupt the order.

To further explain what I was struggling to convey about the environments, The Witcher takes the fairy tale path, where things that are mundane and familiar are superimposed with supernatural elements. There's a troll living under that old bridge, there are ghosts on that spooky graveyard, a dragon in that dark cave, fairies and monsters in that shady forest. It takes something mundane and turns it into fantastic, like how you imagined it as a child. That's not something that you can convey through overly flashy environments that you'd never see in the real world. And if you do introduce such an eldritch location, it has a much greater effect if until then what you've seen has been relatively normal by comparison.

Last edited:
I like both Game of Thrones and The Witcher also because it's set in an pretty realistic environment with just some fantasy elements. It's just I love this mixture, while I'm not the biggest fans of high fantasy with all the stuff you mentioned.

During my childhood I was reading mostly realistic stories, for in my family it isn't common to read fantasy or SciFi at all (imagine being a child being told you don't need those unrealistic strange things like all the time, 'cause the world outside is sufficient. They still use to eye up on my reading habits, while saying things like 'I just don't get why you're reading/watching this stuff. Who needs dragons and magic? And all those weapons! And these dark medieval ages! Why don't you stay more realistic?') and so I started reading fantasy and SciFi relatively late (at the age of 13? 14? Maybe even 15.), after spending quite some time with historical novels. And soon I discovered I prefer stories with a at least partly realistic setting and so I came to Game of Thrones, and later thanks to a friend, to The Witcher.

It's the same thing with writing, though, most of my stories are low fantasy, and the biggest of them was originally a realistic story without any fantasy elements, but now it has magic and stuff in it. Others are dealing with mythology in medieval settings, so yeah, you see I like this kind of genre.
Therefore it's pretty obvious I'd rather play a fantasy game rooted in reality like The Witcher than others, although I do enjoy them from time to time.

To further explain what I was struggling to convey about the environments, The Witcher takes the fairy tale path, where things that are mundane and familiar are superimposed with supernatural elements. There's a troll living under that old bridge, there are ghosts on that spooky graveyard, a dragon in that dark cave, fairies and monsters in that shady forest. It takes something mundane and turns it into fantastic, like how you imagined it as a child. That's not something that you can covet through overly flashy environments that you'd never see in the real world. And if you do introduce such an eldritch location, it has a much greater effect if until then what you've seen has been relatively normal by comparison.

Well put. In these traditional tales, the fantastic, supernatural, or the monstrous, dwells just upon the rim of the inhabited world, where humans travel, but do not always dwell themselves. This periphery is accessible, under the nearest hill, or in the dark of the woods, known, and yet unknown, perilous, and yet familiar.

I like both Game of Thrones and The Witcher also because it's set in an pretty realistic environment with just some fantasy elements. It's just I love this mixture, while I'm not the biggest fans of high fantasy with all the stuff you mentioned.

During my childhood I was reading mostly realistic stories, for in my family it isn't common to read fantasy or SciFi at all (imagine being a child being told you don't need those unrealistic strange things like all the time, 'cause the world outside is sufficient. They still use to eye up on my reading habits, while saying things like 'I just don't get why you're reading/watching this stuff. Who needs dragons and magic? And all those weapons! And these dark medieval ages! Why don't you stay more realistic?') and so I started reading fantasy and SciFi relatively late (at the age of 13? 14? Maybe even 15.), after spending quite some time with historical novels. And soon I discovered I prefer stories with a at least partly realistic setting and so I came to Game of Thrones, and later thanks to a friend, to The Witcher.

It's the same thing with writing, though, most of my stories are low fantasy, and the biggest of them was originally a realistic story without any fantasy elements, but now it has magic and stuff in it. Others are dealing with mythology in medieval settings, so yeah, you see I like this kind of genre.
Therefore it's pretty obvious I'd rather play a fantasy game rooted in reality like The Witcher than others, although I do enjoy them from time to time.

All the things I mention unfortunately...there is not a single RPG or mmorpg that has all of those things in one single game. I have yet to see it. World of Warcraft was the closest to the high fantasy environment I dream off as a kid and it doesn't even come close. If I had talent, I believe with the right team and my creative vision, I could make a world unlike anything ever seen and I'm not just talking about fantasy. I would combine high fantasy with those of Final fantasy. I was not a normal child that much is sure. I even had imaginary friends and I grew up in a ghost house.

But I understand where your coming from and I absolutely love Game of Thrones. Only second to 24 the series.

Your reasoning is very well thought out and something I never really thought about before. I guess now that I think about it racism and violence are more believable in low compare to high fantasy. Personally for me I thought Witcher 2 environment were more high fantasy like the forest of Flotsam so I am a bit disappointed with the direction CDPR is going with the Witcher 3.

I also didn't know there was such a thing as low and high fantasy. I wonder if mid fantasy would be a balance to both? You have made me more interested in the Witcher 3 now because I just couldn't deal with another Skyrim environment after playing and seeing how amazing and fantasy driven the world in Dragon Age Inquisition look.

You took the worst English I've ever written and interpreted exactly as I thought it. Thank christ. But back on topic -- I recommend reading about this sort of thing on TVTropes. BE WARNED, you will lose many many hours of your life. Set a timer and browse wisely.

Yeah, I was wondering about your comparison with Skyrim. I felt it was bland but for different reasons. It's definitely a High Fantasy world because of it's treatment of Good and Evil, the fact it has gods and the way the lore is set up. The landscape is reasonably realistic, I agree. Maybe it's the fact it's a High Fantasy without any of the splendour you're longing for? Maybe the devs just failed to communicate the splendour they saw when creating the game. I can't say without reading up on it to a major extent.

The Witcher takes the fairy tale path, where things that are mundane and familiar are superimposed with supernatural elements. There's a troll living under that old bridge, there are ghosts on that spooky graveyard, a dragon in that dark cave, fairies and monsters in that shady forest. It takes something mundane and turns it into fantastic, like how you imagined it as a child. That's not something that you can convey through overly flashy environments that you'd never see in the real world. And if you do introduce such an eldritch location, it has a much greater effect if until then what you've seen has been relatively normal by comparison.

I agree with this 100%. The Witcher could have been real. Skyrim, Inquisition, even the worlds of Tolkien... they can't be because they are worlds different to our own. Fairytales and folklore (something I dearly love) are what come off as truly magical for me. So this overlaying in reality is key.

All the things I mention unfortunately...there is not a single RPG or mmorpg that has all of those things in one single game. I have yet to see it. World of Warcraft was the closest to the high fantasy environment I dream off as a kid and it doesn't even come close. If I had talent, I believe with the right team and my creative vision, I could make a world unlike anything ever seen and I'm not just talking about fantasy. I would combine high fantasy with those of Final fantasy. I was not a normal child that much is sure. I even had imaginary friends and I grew up in a ghost house.

But I understand where your coming from and I absolutely love Game of Thrones. Only second to 24 the series.

Oh, imaginery friends - had a couple of them, too. But then I started placing them in a realistic environment and - there we go, they were gone.
I'm in awe of all those people who have so much imagination they can create a whole new world with completely new terms of being etc out of nowhere. Although I don't think I'm lacking imagination at all (otherwise I wouldn't have hobbies counted as 'creative' and mourning the lack of imagination certain other people suffer), I'm lacking this kind of imagination that enables the creation of completely dream-like fantasy worlds. For me, everything somehow has to be rooted in something already existing, and then it can be changed in one or another way, else I'm not able to imagine those things at all, unfortunalety.

Oh, imaginery friends - had a couple of them, too. But then I started placing them in a realistic environment and - there we go, they were gone.
I'm in awe of all those people who have so much imagination they can create a whole new world with completely new terms of being etc out of nowhere. Although I don't think I'm lacking imagination at all (otherwise I wouldn't have hobbies counted as 'creative' and mourning the lack of imagination certain other people suffer), I'm lacking this kind of imagination that enables the creation of completely dream-like fantasy worlds. For me, everything somehow has to be rooted in something already existing, and then it can be changed in one or another way, else I'm not able to imagine those things at all, unfortunalety.

Thanks for the indirect compliment :).

Back on topic: I don't think most people have the creative visions that I have had ever since I was a child. It not that I'm special but because of the unfortunate circumstances of my life that force me to adapt early on with my creativity. Simply put, I have had a very bad life and I simply wouldn't be here if I didn't have the ability to day dream whenever I please. Be glad that you don't have to endure hardship to be able to have countless worlds you wish you could create that resign in your head. I am also not a normal child, not by any mean. Sometime I don't even think I'm human but that really going off-topic.

Even as I'm typing this, I have worlds upon worlds going on inside my head that I wish I had the skills and knowledge to create. I want to make people believe in things that they never even thought off. I want a world that would make people jaw drop and question why no one has ever thought about it. Sadly such word only existed in my brain but if someone could dissect it and view the same vision I have couple with talented developers, the world is pretty much limitless.

In the meantime, my hobbies is spenting hours drawing new design of concept cars.

Like Witcher world, realism of world emphasise fantastical bits.

Lord of Rings nothing like Dragon Age, that insult to Tolkien.

Like to see world like Roger Dean Yes cover, Morrowind copied a bit.

Last edited:
Fantasy doesn't have to mean fantastical or ridiculous. It can also mean mystical or sublime, like in Lord Of The Rings. I think that's more the type of fantasy The Witcher 3 is going for. Sure, most of the world may be everyday farmlands, wilderness, and urban areas. But interwoven in all that is sacred forests, monster's lairs, and the ruins of lost civilizations. It's believable fantasy --fantasy that makes sense in the context of what we know about ourselves and our world.

Last edited:
Like Witcher world, realism of world emphasise fantastical bits.
Lord of Rings nothing like Dragon Age, that insult to Tolkien.

+1 for LoTR vs Dragon Age. The later doesn't come anywhere close.

Sapkowski's style as others already pointed out is realism fantasy, while Tolkien's style is heroic fantasy, which while related can be considered different genres. I like both.

Do you actually like the Witcher Universe?

Yes, yes i do. Why do i like it, you may ask?

Well, a couple of reasons:
1. It's based on reality but grounded in fantasy, which is always fun for the rational mind to try to analyze and then quickly fall into daydreaming about.
2. Ciri :wub:

What is fantasy anyway? If we traveled back in time to the middle ages and told people about devices driven by electricity, capable of manipulating symbols and solving complex mathematical problems which in a larger scale translate to interactive, moving images and sounds, they'd first think we're crazy and second call it fantasy. But it's all grounded in reality, or a possible reality. One that's so alien to them, that they can only assume it's true and then concentrate on the other elements of the story That's what makes good fiction. Not the symbols themselves, but the meaning and implications of these symbols.

Good science fiction is not just about robots and spaceships, and good medieval fiction or fantasy is not just about the dragons, the wizards and the elves. What's the point of having yet another densely populated fantasy setting with nothing to say? I'd rather get lost in a world seemingly like ours with worthwhile stories than one with good looks but made out of cardboard cutouts.

So my point is: it's irrelevant whether fantasy is very distant to us and in an entirely self contained world (high) or relatable and possibly linked (low), or whether heroic deeds are performed through magic or technology (ultimately equivalent). It matters when these worlds have actual characters and events that truly connect with us. Compare, for instance, yet another bombastic dungeon raid, where a generic hero slays a dragon, takes the treasure and saves an unknown princess, with Geralt and Yennefer's complicated relationship, for instance in stories such as "A shard of Ice".

Edit: Didn't answer the question. Yes, I actually like "the witcher universe". It has much more to say than your average paperback fantasy book/game/comic.

Last edited:
Top Bottom