Do you find it fair that CDRP still uses old promo materials on TW3 GOG page

+

• Yes, they should. I don't care about the change in graphics.

Votes: 17 27.4%
  • No, they should not. By doing that they are misrepresenting the game.

Votes: 45 72.6%

• Total voters

Now this is a VERY sensitive topic. As I see it the purpose of this thread and poll is to guage your opinions on the matter and NOT to cast blame or discuss reasons why some visual changes took place (there a plenty of those discussions already). So please keep it civil and refrain from personal attacks. Otherwise I'll get banned along with you and I don't want that.

I know for a fact that to a lot of people (for example, @amfibiya89) the lack the original graphic fidelity that was showcased in 2014 in the 37 minute gameplay video became a deciding factor when it came a time decide whether or not to buy the game.

In my opinion visual component of the game contibutes a lot to immersion and overall enjoyment of the game so that is why I feel that CDPR should not use old screenshots and videos that do not represent the current visual fidelity of The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt. Besides CDPR having a potential GOTY on their hands which first and foremost is a story-driven RPG with the focus on the story, meaningful choices and character relations, should not be afraid to showcase the game in its true visual state.

P.S. To reiterate this thread is about gathering a sort of statistic information by counting the percentage of Witcher fans agreeing (or not) with CDPR marketing strategy.

Attachments

• Image 2.jpg
    Image 2.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Considering what they claimed about downgrade-that there isnt, that the "fog" is an artistic choice and thigs like this, it looks like they changed their graphic intentions from 2014 to release, so if its really true that they rather wanted this visual, they should stand for it and present it like it is. Even though we all know that things from 2014 looks better.
But I would accept it if they would aim for the 2014 graphic in future, like with Dx12 support etc :)

I don't care about the graphics, but they shouldn't use that - not sure what option I should choose :)

They also show old content on TheWitcher.com too. I was going to raise this while I raised another problem but decided not to for reasons that I shall not go into.

Pretty much every developer does this, screenshots has never been a good way too see how a game looks, they always look better than the real product. Is it shady? Well yes, but that is how it is in the gaming industry.

I still think there's a sim chance this is an auspicious omen, that that is what they're aiming for, either with the next expansions, an enhanced edition or a DX12 update. Trailers and screenshots from the forthcoming expansions are due soon, so they'll likely replace both those gog.com images and the SoD excerpt looping on witcher.com with the newer materials.

Nonetheless, even if that happens, it still does not change the fact those aren't representative of the current state of the game, which is a bit puzzling, considering the number of more recent and more indicative trailers they've put out in the days prior to release.

Not that this is of any major importance, but still I was beginging to wonder if i had been the only one who had noticed it. Thanks OP for having the balls.

Last edited:
It should be simple.

Every time Geralt gets in a dialogue, and every time there is a cut-scene, the graphics change. Not sure what changes, but it looks a lot better than during regular game-play. It feels like the detail of the textures changes, the lighting and shadows change, the hair changes, etc, etc. If we would get this "dialogue graphics mode" all the time, the game would look a lot better. Maybe just as good as the early screenshots and movies from 2 years ago.

That "dialogue graphics mode" is obviously already in the game. All we need is a mod that enables this rendering-mode 100% of the time. Not just during dialogues or cut-scenes. Would CDPR be so kind to give us such a mod ? Would a 3rd-party modder be able to create such a mod ? For some reason I think it would be nothing more than 1 function-call to the right function at the right time. If only we knew which function ...

Of course the new rendering mode would be very very heavy on the GPU, the CPU and memory-consumption. Probably 8GB RAM would not be enough anymore. We probably would need videocards with at least 6GB of vram. And we might need the compute power of the latest i7 CPU and 2 or 3 high-end videocards in SLI/CF. So this new rendering-mode would run way below 60fps even on the fastest hardware. And maybe < 10fps on average hardware. But who cares ?? If you decide you want to run this mode, you know what it'll do to your framerates. No complaining allowed.

If I were nVidia, AMD or Intel, I'd be very interested in such a mod. It would drive sales for sure. I'm 100% sure there would be thousands of people who would upgrade their PC (or components) just to play TW3 with this awesome-rendering mode. It would drive the industry forward. Why don't we have this mod already ?

I still think there's a sim chance this is an auspicious omen, that that is what they're aiming for, either with the next expansions, an enhanced edition or a DX12 update.

A very, very, extremely small, teensy-weensy slim chance. But yeah, I've considered this possibility ever since Iwinski said TW3 will get two years of post release support. As to the OP, I've never liked that they show the old promo material but mostly a moot point. Like you say, the expansion stuff will be there soon.

Last edited:
have you ever seen ANY screenshots on steam??? i mean seriously.... why arent you whining about any other AAA game on steam using screenshots that are much better than the actual game looks.......

Many games are like that.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky Steam Front page has Alpha Version of Swamp + Alpha Heavy models on its front page...
And the game in Alpha is uglier than the released one lol :p

Though I dont really care TBF.

This happens an lot. I think about 90% of the games have great graphical shots. And it has been always like this. Does anyone remember that great pictures on game boxes, and the few pixels on the screen that was the reality? Nobody complained then, because it was obvious it was marketing material. The problem now is that marketing material is almost the same as the games, and all of the sudden everybody is "up in arms" about it... strange...

I really don't care about it, because the game looks beautiful enough to me. I am not going to nitpick about an few better shaped pixels, especially if that would slow down my system considerable. Why wish for something that looks great but has zero performance? I rather have something less that runs well.

Anyway - I do not care one bit about it. I think some people are really overreacting about this. As there is not an "don't care" option I vote "Yes they should"... That will teach you for not giving enough options...;-).

Bull shots are standard. The first trailers had target render written all over them.
Box art on old games was where all that started.

Cdpr PR. Hmmm.
They could pull all none representative imagery from retailers. But that would make a story for the bloggers.
Their PR has worked and they have a massive success. Cyberpunk will out sell witcher for sure.

People are finally moving on from their disappointment but things like Gog promo material can bring all those feelings back. I cant remeber what ot was that set me off again recently. The day that CDPR started playing with the big boys was a sad one.

Top Bottom