Do you like 3D models of the leaders being on the board?

+

Guest 4322057

Maybe I’m in the minority but I love the models.

The 3D leaders look terrible. I am very sad to say that and I really dislike criticizing the work devs put into them, but they are so out of place, it's just plain sad. The word kitsch is all I can think of. The leaders look and feel exactly like Chinese ripoff action figures and have as much place in a card game as the action figures would have in chess. I am really sad to see this artistically beautiful game go that way....

No, definitely no. I don't like perspective 3D table too. I think vision of the game field should be the same - top down. With new 3D elements, details, life, yes, but also with old view. And with old card-leaders, this models looks horrible. I made own picture with old view and card-leaders. In my opinion this combination looks much better. Picture under spoiler:

This looks so much more awesome! It's like taking the all the good stuff of the reveal and applying some real art design. If only the devs would consider maybe using this.... Or at least having this as an option to have instead of the 3D nonsense.

Maybe the 3D models and playboard fits the campaign with the RPG elements and all, but I sincerely do not want to play such a silly looking game, even if it does deliver on being strategically even deeper than current gwent. I also would not want to play chess, where the king is Batman and the knights are godzillas...

I think the leaders are fine, we oughta keep in mind that we haven't really seen what they'll do and they will likely see polish before launch. I would like the opponent's leader to be placed on the other side of the board though, instead of right next to each other.

I'm guessing the 3D models will be replacing the function of and is an upgrade to the Avatars. That they will not be playing a role in the deck/deck-building in anyway. This only makes sense. Since right now we've an Avatar and a revealed, un-interact-able Leader card. And they seem to be merging the two to make space on-screen. Also, this reminds me, that certain Avatars with noises need to have dialogues inserted as we never know which one of the e-mote/dialogue our opponent picked for the situation. A 3D Avatar seems much more desirable and could make players grind/play more, and even give the Trinkets section more meaning (as players will be visiting to check out/admire the models and not just for a quick change). Also, add lots of unique, play-related (Xbox) Achievements, that would encourage the players to make/try new decks instead of sticking to a single faction. And if one of the Avatars could walk over and slap or punch the other Avatar based on the character, that would be very fun, 'dark' and amazing! The dragon Avatar could spit fire, similarly.

Last edited:
Not a huge fan on them as of yet, will need to see the game in action. It does seem a bit more "kiddy like", the visuals on the other hand are beautiful, I was never worried about that.

Guest 3945410

They're the only visual I'm not sold on, in terms of the HC reveal. Looked like awkward little puppets. Will give it some time though, perhaps they'll grow on me.

Last edited by a moderator:
And if one of the Avatars could walk over and slap or punch the other Avatar based on the character, that would be very fun, 'dark' and amazing!

It could be fun, that I can see. And maybe, with a little bit of imagination, amazing... but dark?
This is neither the dark, nor the mature content I was hoping for. Those are puppets staring at each others, which might interact in ways I'm not too keen to discover.

As an attachment how I picture the avatars fighting between the Gwent rounds.

Attachments

• firefly dinos.jpg
    firefly dinos.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 50
They already said they will look better, they are work in progress and they are aware they look really ''aged''. Burza confirmed this in the ''ask a dev'' thread

but dark?
When you're going through a bad round, and your opponent slaps you through your Avatar while you can't decide which card to play next, I think it'll be very dark as you'll see. As we'll all see. Players complain here on the forums for getting a GG from their opponent after a bad loss, so imagine their reaction to something mean like that. So dark, not in what happens on-screen (which agreed, would be silly), but the player's reaction to it. And yes, it'll probably never be in the game.

This is neither the dark, nor the mature content I was hoping for.
Well, yes. Even though it looked questionably ugly in Open Beta (minus the main menu and card artwork of course), Gwent had maintained a certain level of maturity by sticking to cards, human-like artwork and strong language. And though I doubt any real kids play card games (because it'll be too boring and strategic for them), having pieces for cards or 3D models does gives the game a childish feel. This isn't quite how I would've done it, either. But then, it's not our game. So, we may only give our feedback/suggestions, and hope for the best.

And now, we shall have a 2 minute silence for all those of us who have lost a dear one...the third row.

I don't like how they blend with the background. I think they should visually be linked to the players cards.

You're right, this looks better. Maybe 3d board for TB only, and gwent board look like that.
Anyway, like it or not, there's nothing we can do, it's a "take it or leave it" kind of a deal.

I think there should be at least an option to select the top-down variant (which I like very much). I just try to imagine what the 3D feels like after your 1000th game and how much delay the animations may introduce. Now 1000 games sounds a lot, but even in casual you can achieve that in about 3-4 months. The fancy presentation could get pretty tiresome after a while and a purer board look might be much more endurable and less of a distraction from the actual game.

I don't feel one way or the other about them. I am most concerned with how they will impact game play in terms of their abilities. If those are good and interesting I can deal with a less than perfect visual.

I won't say that this 3D look is horrible, but it just feels so... different. It's like I'm no longer playing Gwent but some shitty wanna-be clone of it.
It feels like I'm playing one of those mobile games with so much effort put into graphics when it's just a frickin' point&click-style game so all it does is wasting extra file space on your already limited device.

No. I didn't even realise they were leaders the first time I saw them and instead thought 'what the hell is this tacky crap cluttering the board for?!'

On another note. Where is the blood and gore? Oh wow a fireball flew across the screen? Where are the cards being severed into two bloody splats?

An optional 2D mode would be nice, and probably necessary if they make a mobile version. As is I'm kind of ambivalent -- I think I'll have to play a while and get used to them.

Top Bottom