Do you like Ori?

+
How about now?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/screenrant.com/cyberpunk-2077-no-mans-sky-devs-lies-called-out-by-ori-developer/amp/

There's some solid points he makes. Does Cyberpunk 2077 or CDPR deserve any awards for how the game looks a year or more from now? Even with consumers experience in preordering video games, we still got suckered by CDPR. I see people suggesting just accepting 2077 as a wash ... And then waiting to buy the sequel?! Why would you invest money or time in something after they screwed you the first time around? How much can really be forgiven? I've gone back and forth with the arguments for and against but Mahler really sold me here. I may very well pick up all the DLC for this game, I'm not sure but I do want it to be complete. Simultaneously, I don't want to be one of those people that encourages game companies to use their customers as quality control, or continuously makes excuses and goes "simmer down" to everyone else that has justifiable anger over some conman getting caught in the act.

For me, this article served as a solid reminder that CDPR doesn't deserve to be able to sweep this under the rug.

For me, this article served as a solid reminder that CDPR doesn't deserve to be able to sweep this under the rug.

I have read it, but I think he is being a bit overly dramatic. CDPR made a mistake releasing it for old consoles, yes but lets keep everything in perspective.
On PC the game has it's bugs but I have been enjoying it nevertheless.
I do not get the impression that anyone wants to sweep anything under the rug, otherwise the CEO wouldn't have published his video statement. They admitted their mistakes and now they are working to fix the problems.

What do you want to happen? Some sort of monthly 'mea Culpa' ceremony?

I have read it, but I think he is being a bit overly dramatic. CDPR made a mistake releasing it for old consoles, yes but lets keep everything in perspective.
On PC the game has it's bugs but I have been enjoying it nevertheless.
I do not get the impression that anyone wants to sweep anything under the rug, otherwise the CEO wouldn't have published his video statement. They admitted their mistakes and now they are working to fix the problems.

What do you want to happen? Some sort of monthly 'mea Culpa' ceremony?

Firstly as stated, I think people like you that try to pretend the rest of us are overreacting are a real problem. Companies need to be held accountable, not given a wishy washy pass. Secondly, I don't want anything from CDPR at tbis point: my comments are aimed at US, the gamers and the audience. We are the ones that need to remember how our trust was abused and not stand for it happening again.

Firstly as stated, I think people like you that try to pretend the rest of us are overreacting are a real problem. Companies need to be held accountable, not given a wishy washy pass. Secondly, I don't want anything from CDPR at tbis point: my comments are aimed at US, the gamers and the audience.

I am not pretending, I am stating that some of the criticism, not all, but some, is totally overblown - this is just my personal opinion.

We are the ones that need to remember how our trust was abused and not stand for it happening again.

We are talking about a Game, right? CDPR is a company not my best friend. I bought a game from them that did not meet my expectations 100%, not a medical service for my children which caused them harm. Having been gaming since the mid 80s I can reveal to you that no game has been even close to perfect, or sometimes so broken that they are not even playable, CP2077 is not that.

For my part I will base my 'trust' on how the Game develops, I still think that it will be all right in the end since, as a company, CDPR does not have a choice here.

Last edited:
Well, he apologized for the tone of his statement, but not for it's contents (rightfully so, in my opinion), so I'm not exactly sure what this post is supposed to bring to this particular discussion :shrug:

On the topic, I fully support his statement, but I doubt it that CDP/CDPR will actually acknowledge any of his points. The priest forgets that he was a clerk.

He apologized for his rude tone, but in fact I agree with him. The enjoyment from the game is based directly on our expectations, false advertising is a bad practice indeed.

I also feel bad for small devs who have no money for massive promo campaigns but they do their best to deliver good products, like Kingdom Come Deliverance, or even Greed Fall.

Truly, money corrupt devs :( When some studio becomes popular and gains people's love, this studio thinks that there is no need to try hard anymore, because the power of the brand will be enough to attract customers and people will buy their stuff anyway, as we can see on examples of Bioware, Bethesda, and now, unfortunately, CDPR.

Well, he apologized for the tone of his statement, but not for it's contents (rightfully so, in my opinion), so I'm not exactly sure what this post is supposed to bring to this particular discussion :shrug:

It's supposed to present the whole story.

Truly, money corrupt devs :( When some studio becomes popular and gains people's love, this studio thinks that there is no need to try hard anymore, because the power of the brand will be enough to attract customers and people will buy their stuff anyway, as we can see on examples of Bioware, Bethesda, and now, unfortunately, CDPR.

It is a double edged sword for developers. If they release early its not up to scratch like Cp2077. If they delay too long making the game, it becomes out-dated. In both cases the game would require extensive work to bring it up to "standard". Duke Nukem Forever was in development for 10+ years, had hundreds of millions spent on it, was reworked multiple times and still came out crap and buggy.

Smaller developers may struggle for cash, but have a lot more wiggle room when it comes to development. Simpler renders, pre-packaged effects, plug-in engine modules etc all help to reduce cost and time. When you are not going for a AAA level of product, its a lot easier to get it done in time and at a higher standard.

When you are not going for a AAA level of product, its a lot easier to get it done in time and at a higher standard.
But Cyberpunk doesn't even feel like AAA. Most of the game mechanics are extremely outdated or just don't work at all.

The game was in development long enough and had all money to extend the staff, attract professional developers, buy proper engine mechanics, like they bought physics from Nvidia in their previous game, etc.

Instead they just spend hilarious amount of money on promo campaign, attracting celebrities like Keanu Reeves and Billie Eilish and so on.

The fact it is complex AAA is not and excuse imo

On the topic, I fully support his statement, but I doubt it that CDP/CDPR will actually acknowledge any of his points. The priest forgets that he was a clerk.

It's a corporate mandated nopology, Ori was published by Xbox Game Studios and THQ Nordic (Embracer Group), their upcoming game will be published by Private Division which is the "indie" brand of Take-Two Interactive.

If this was a low level employee they would probably be looking at an administrative action, since he is the CEO someone at legal probably explained to him that he isn't Elon Musk...

He's 100% right, it must be even worse as a developer also falling victim to AAA devs shameless shenanigans.

Ori is absolutely beautiful, but I have a problem with the start of the game being so sad it made me depressed to continue playing lol I know I'm missing out something incredible but personally it's hard for me to get past that first part of the story.

I think the major problem in the discussion regarding what happened with CP77 is that while one side likes how the game turned out, seemingly ignoring all of CDP/CDPR shenanigans, maybe because they haven't really track the games progress and promises throughout the years, or maybe they just have overall different standards, while on the other side we have people who in many cases refuse to acknowledge that someone can have a really good time with this game.

I love the Prince of Persia from 2008, which was dragged through the mud by the die-hard series's fans. Thing is, I'm perfectly aware of this title shortcomings and I would be mad to tell someone who loved the Sands of Time trilogy, that he/she is a crybaby, a hater or a god-knows-what, while I still think that this is a beautiful game that deserves some love and will remain one of my favorite games of all time.

As a community, I think we should knowledge two things:
  1. In the context of the whole industry, this isn't a bad game. Hell, I would even say that the artstyle, music, details, atmosphere are superb, one of the best worlds to look at I had seen in years. The gameplay shortcomings are there, but even I, who don't like racing or GTA type games, had a blast doing Clair's storyline with all those car races.
  2. The advertisement of this game was very misleading in a way that many things were shown out of context, many things were left unsaid and some were presented in a way that was supposed to create a notion, that game's mechanics will be up-to-date with or even surpass the standards of what we have seen in open world genre for the past 10-15 years, which isn't the case.
No point invalidates the other. People having blast with this game are not a proof of false advertisement's non existence, and false advertisement isn't a proof that no one can enjoy this title.

FkzAz

Forum regular
Finally someone that spoke the truth on how rotten this industry is atm.

Lying devs, lying marketing, bad quality products, etc etc..

Really like reading this article yesterday.

As for CP2007, and when you look at it, it really is the biggest scam in gamming of all time.

Hey, 200 Game Awards of a demo that we never played or will play.

Oh, from a guy working for Moon Studios/Ori. Very interesting.

He's not even completely wrong, to be honest. Too bad it comes from a studio that just a year ago published "Ori and the will of the wisps" - a game that at release was a total mess itself, with such gamebreaking bugs (I well remember) that prevented me from going beyond half the story, wasting about twenty hours of play. Ah, the irony!

People should really learn to watch themselves before standing in the pulpit. But of course, throwing stones is much more fun - and a bit unprofessional, in this case.

Top Bottom