Do you like the item scaling system?

• Yes

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • No

Votes: 44 58.7%
  • Yes but adjustments should be made

Votes: 29 38.7%

• Total voters
I don't like the item scaling, but stuff like that can't be considered in isolation, it's part of the overall power scaling.

I strongly dislike the kind of exponential power progression, where gaining N levels makes you A[SUP]N[/SUP] times more powerful. This leads to silliness like a high-level item/creature being 50 times more powerful than a similar low-level one, which makes absolutely no sense, fantasy world or not. But more importantly, while it seemingly makes it easier for the devs to balance encounters, in reality it just completely screws up the impact of both difficulty settings and player skill, because any difference in either can be made up just by leveling up a couple of times.

I feel like loot and power progression have been totally blown out of proportion in modern RPGs, and because of that, the players have been forgotten. It shouldn't be just the main character's power level that unlocks access to late-game content, but the players getting better at the playing the game. And this requires that there's vastly less drastic difference between a high-level character and a low-level character (or item or enemy or whatever).

Just in comparison: in Baldur's Gate 1, a basic sword dealt 4.5 points of damage on average. A totally awesome, end-game sword would deal maybe 7.5 damage on average, that's a difference of 67%. I don't even dare to calculate the difference in TW3, we're talking about completely different orders of magnitude.

Starting DPS seems to be around 152 for the silver sword. I'm currently level 25 with 1540... and there is at least another 33% growth before the end game (based on diagram stats I hold).

Steel weapons are even worse... the starting gear is *far* weaker than the dross that I sell for a handful of coins every time I fight bandits. (Silver has grown about 3x, with the rest from skills, while steel is around 8x growth).

My biggest issue with the gear scaling is that I really enjoy it when games reward exploration or overcoming obstacles you probably weren't ready for but found a way to beat by clever tactics (actual tactics, not exploits, mind you) by letting you get your hands on really great gear that you wouldn't be able to get otherwise - even when it makes the game "unbalanced". (IMO balance is overrated in SP games that are power fantasies to begin with...)

So getting scaled stuff - or getting things I can't use for several levels, for arbitrary reasons - is not my favorite thing in the world.

I also think there's slightly too many relic-level swords in the game...

On the other hand, I'm not really too bothered by the fact that a random bandit might turn out to have a generic steel sword that does slightly more damage than my current weapon - because raw damage numbers are not the end-all, be-all in this game. What do I care about extra +15 damage when my current weapon has +10% sign intensity, or a big critical hit % bonus, and sets people on fire in almost every fight?

Short version, I don't like the level scaling, but I'm still pretty happy with all the cool toys you get.

No, i really don't like the scaling items, and it bugs me to get the exact same Relic named sword with a few minor differences. It reminds me of an MMO-like environment where items don't really matter after a while, only here it's worse.

I would just like quest rewards and monster drops to be, you know, rewarding. Honestly a lot of the time it's so far in the other direction I feel like I'm being trolled by the game.

"Oh you beat that lvl 28 boss monster while doing this level 26 mission? Here's a level 12 sword for your trouble. lol " :troll:

Last edited:
I don't like it either, makes crafting useless.

I think armor and weapon damage should be character and ability specific.

Loot should just have random buffs, and crafting should have more custom options.

Just a thought.

I wish the Witcher gear had set-bonuses... Like in Witcher 2: Dark-Mode. Right-now, there's no incentive to wear a complete set which can look comestically ugly, but I'd like to have a BIG reason to complete the gear + swords. =(

Right-now, all we have is the talents for light, medium, and heavy armor to increase stats etc depending on how many pieces of said gear-type you're wearing + provided you purchased the talent and equipped said talent.

Yeah I agree the Witcher gear should be the best in the game, bar none. A scaling system is fine but they need to allow Witcher gear to scale with level as well.

Hmmm I personally think Witcher gear is the best. I don't use anything else, no other gear suits my build better. I remember using a couple relic swords in the very beginning, but since then, it's been Witcher gear all the way (now lvl 29).

I was actually coming in here to say that all other gear should be upgraded slightly to make it more useful. As it is now, all gear I loot is either dismantled or sold off. Pretty disappointing.

I like te Witcher gear, but it is far too simple to get it. Never been a fan of crafting to begin with, but getting the best gear upto lvl 31 by crafting with materials easy to come by feels lame to me.
I much more prefer to find an awesome looking sword with some lore to it on some dead adventurer or chest after an epic fight at the end of a dungeon.

They should make mastercrafted gear much harder to craft by adding very rare items. Or even needing to melt other relic swords for the special ore they contain (kinda like how Valyrian steel is so rare in got).

Like it is now nothing you find or craft feels really special.

At a certain point in the story you get an item wich is supposed to be really awesome, but turns out pretty lame as I had way better crafted already with no effort at all.

I like te Witcher gear, but it is far too simple to get it.

I liked what they did in the 2nd one where you could make gear from the boss loot at the end of each chapter. It was unique and you could add modifiers making each one hold its own through the whole game.

Top Bottom