Do you play with any self imposed rules, If so what are they?

+
I myeslf impose rules on my playthrough.
: Walk everywhere unless the need to jog or sprint.
: no crafting of anything unless in apartment or out of the trunk of my vehicle.
: All items must be stored in stash either though apartment or using the trunk of my vehicle.
: No changing clothes while away from apartment. Must choose what you want to wear before leaving pad.
: At the start of a playthrough you must choose what type of weapons you want to use e.g Power weapons, tech, assault and so on. Spec accordingly.
: You must log out at apartment and visit it at least once a session.
: Eat, drink, sleep and shower at least once a day.
: Drive to the limit unless you need to make a quick escape.
: No dismantling items picked up unless at pad or using the trunk of vehicle.
: Style over substance

Interested to hear what others play rules are.

Not so much for me, but at least :
  • Never exceed 2K of armor (now it will be easier).
  • Trying to do everything without being detected and/or even better not alerting the enemies.
  • And try not to get bounties no matter what.
  • Walk rather than drive if the objective is less than 1km away (that's easy I love wandering in Night city).
So not too restrictive in fact.

Walk rather than drive if the objective is less than 1km away (that's easy I love wandering in Night city).
This is a rule for me too! If it's under 1k, walk there.

The only other rule I have that spans across all characters is never leave in the middle of a story thread. (Going straight to the powerplant with Judy after watching the BD; staying with River from start to finish of I Fought The Law; etc.) Well, that and always let the kids win.

Any other rules I follow are, I guess, RP based because a particular V's personality will decide what I'm going to do and how I'm going to approach things. Some of my Vs go home to do stuff I can do in the world. Some Vs walk more, some drive more. Personality based things. So maybe I guess that can be considered a rule of "Let the character decide"?

iCake

Forum veteran
Guys, could I ask what you mean by "walk there" precisely?

Like a slow walk you'd do in real life, or the jogging speed the game has, or sprint maybe?

My main rules are:

- do not steal cars unless I really have to
- limit calling my car and trying to plan things just to pick it up unless mission takes me to a other end of city
- no fasttravels
- Limit weapons to 3 only. This playthrough its pistol, small machine gun and a knife. I pick up other stuff but end up selling them
- This playthrough - my V is Nomad who isnt big fan of cybernetics so maximum 2-3 modifications from ripperdocs.
- Netrunning mostly focused on switching off cameras, controling turrets, weapon jamming etc. Not so much into offensive stuff.
- mostly stealth approach depending of mission

-I have a regular sleep pattern. I go to bed at dawn, I work at night.
-I don't sleep in street clothes
-First thing I do after getting up: Breakfast. I really wish one of the many food shops in my appartment block would be functional and willing to sell me a hot coffee
-I try to stay propperly fed throughout the day (or night), but I don't eat during a job. But a can of Nicola is fine.
-No crafting on the field, only at the stash. But I do disassamble weapons on the spot. (Otherwise I would just lose the overwiev over the 50 guns I carry at the end of the day)
-I park my car propperly
-I wear a helmet when going to battle (or when riding a bike), but I take it of afterwards. Especially before talking to people. Sometimes I also have balistic vest with me and swap that for my jacked before going in
-I try to not look like a clown

As a rule I don't attack unless it's in self defense. But it does mean my whole game is basically just V constantly recreating that final scene from Gran Torino where Clint Eastwood steps onto the gang's lawn.
Post automatically merged:

The only other rule I have that spans across all characters is never leave in the middle of a story thread. (Going straight to the powerplant with Judy after watching the BD; staying with River from start to finish of I Fought The Law; etc.) Well, that and always let the kids win.

Same ALTHOUGH I'm finding (thankfully) there are key moments where I can actually leave for a bit and do other things e.g: I don't call Mr Hands right away (even though Johnny thinks it's a priority, I just straight up disagree with him); instead I go after Hellman instead (plus it just feels weird to go after Hellman after already speaking to Alt).

Also, after I talk to Rogue about Hellman I don't phone Panam straight away. Instead I head-canon that Hellman's AV isn't going to show up for several days (Rogue never mentions how soon the AV shows up, it's left ambiguous).

I use key moments like that to mop up all the side stuff :).

However there's one moment where I can't quite postpone things using the same logic, e.g. after Judy calls me about diving *tonight*; I agree to it, but then I time-skip for an hour and pretend that V just called Judy back to rearrange the date (so I can do it after everything else).

It's all a bit ritualistic and unnecessary but it definitely helps with my immersion :p

Last edited:

Guest 4561861

I always "steal" bikes and cars. It's not really stealing if the owners are dead, right? Right?

I always run over the Militech soldiers standing by their vehicle in the Badlands. Then I take their truck.

I, like others here, prefer to walk or jog less than 1km away.

I limit each playthrough to 1 or 2 weapons, only 1 weapon if I go big into hacking.

I try to find a different way of completing a job each play though. That's the most fun for me.

"Walk everywhere unless the need to jog or sprint."

WHAT............that would kill me from inside.
Hahaha, it's not that bad. Especially since the new walk toggle function. The mod I used to use was even slower lol.

My main rules are:

- do not steal cars unless I really have to
- limit calling my car and trying to plan things just to pick it up unless mission takes me to a other end of city
- no fasttravels
- Limit weapons to 3 only. This playthrough its pistol, small machine gun and a knife. I pick up other stuff but end up selling them
- This playthrough - my V is Nomad who isnt big fan of cybernetics so maximum 2-3 modifications from ripperdocs.
- Netrunning mostly focused on switching off cameras, controling turrets, weapon jamming etc. Not so much into offensive stuff.
- mostly stealth approach depending of mission
I also NEVER use fast travel either.

Last edited:
I was trying not to kill anyone until I saw that everyone was a piece of sh*t in Night City. I think Judy was right in the end.
So the new rule is: I generally don't kill military personnel/corpos who are just doing their job.
I search for Tyger Claws in my spare time. wink wink*

Last edited:
Many self imposed 'rules' some of which are common to all games or virtual worlds I inhabit:

- always use my 'Snakekiss' gaming name for avatars except in games (like this or Deus Ex) where you must play a defined name character. Would much prefer individuality not being 'V'

In Cyberpunk2077:

- Always log out at home/apartment - in Night City for me this is always V's Mansion
- Only play in third person (TPP mod) (except auto shift for combat)
- use motorbike way more than car, or walk (using 'slow walk' - right mouse key) not sprint
- use the NCart monorail system (mod)
- Heavily Modded game; wardrobe, body, weapons, weather, NPCs, decor, cars, bikes and all
- clothing sets using mod Wardrobe Manager; modded fashion co-ordinated by colour/style
- always put on helmets for motorbike and planned combat and remove afterwards

- I won't 'grind' for money or kit, first game task is use console to get 'rich' and then buy or console code the best cars, weapons, cyberwear, clothes... have no 'poor patience' in virtual, same as RL, rarely pick up loot or sell junk/loot for money, only to dissemble or get more slots
- never join game alliances, clans or societies, def a loner, single player.
- carry 3 sets of (3) weapon choices, favour melee, but no way to make active weapon sets beyond 3 single items in this game (needs 'weapon manager' mod like clothes mod)
- never explore in-game 'romances' or 'marriages'

- In CB2077 I am still not playing (currently) beyond Act 1 as I do not wish to play the 'Johnny' chip storyline (Jackie W alive waiting for me in the Afterlife car park) used FreeFly mod to break Watson curfew to explore the map and open up Fast Travel

- use the console to bypass anything time consuming or boring, (eg; crafting materials)
- spend huge amount of time exploring deserted locations, empty buildings, simply 'being there' admiring sights of Night City, being 'Blade Runner' - prefer 'Open World' immersive lifestyle
- tend not to attack gangs, prefer to have situations of violence where randos attack me
- I drive fast without hitting anyone or anything wherever possible, 'Fast & Furious' skills, right?
- do not 'consume' food/drink in NC as it is meaningless inventory clicking, want animations !!!!
- why oh why can't we 'sit' anywhere other than in a vehicle????

- I rarely snipe or headshot, rather 'fight it out', plan strategy and tactics in combat
- I go to clubs where you have a 'dance' anim for immersion...
- never use the 'joy toys' as this is a dull cinematic break divorced from immersive game
- don't ever use the speed up time feature but do change weather, using mods

Attachments

• !Cyberpunk2077 2021-01-17 20-46-39.png
    !Cyberpunk2077 2021-01-17 20-46-39.png
    707.2 KB · Views: 52
Tabletop RPG rules, near as I can. Things like
-no health potions (or only 1 a fight if I'm feeling generous, CP 2020 has combat drugs but nothing so crazy as those silly potions-in-an-inhaler)
- costs money to reload after dying
- vendors won't buy anything less than blue rarity (really, they wouldn't buy much at all from you in the TTRPG. That's why you need a specific one, a fence, and they only buy certain things at that),
-No silly hacks unless they can be used on me as well, (If suicide and cpsycho were actually doable, no one would run around with cyberware that talked to their brain. To even mess with cyberware as a hacker in the TTRPG, you need special programs and very very close range and you're very limited in what you can do)
-no perks that do unrealistic things like heal you (??!!!). Same for cyberware, unless it was in the tabletop (the secondary heart for example)
-no crafting super gear out of tin cans. Or super gear at all. Ridiculous. Why buy from Arasaka when after a few months of being a merc, you can build better than they sell!
-No stacking armor and certain damage mods. Bikinis that have better armour than vests? In fact, no armor that can't act as armor.

1.5 has fixed or improved some of these things. I did try a Netrunner build - it's not as OP now, but still needs mods so NPCs can really mess with you.

There is a big gap from the danger of Cyberpunk 2020 to Cyberpunk 2077, even on Very Hard with mods. And, that means there is less danger and excitement to the game. But, fixable!

Only 'rule' I use is, if somebody scans up with "sexual assault, human trafficking, forced implant removal(?)" they get a lead shower. Even a homocidal contract killer has limits....

Last edited:
Tabletop RPG rules, near as I can. Things like
-no health potions (or only 1 a fight if I'm feeling generous, CP 2020 has combat drugs but nothing so crazy as those silly potions-in-an-inhaler)
- costs money to reload after dying
- vendors won't buy anything less than blue rarity (really, they wouldn't buy much at all from you in the TTRPG. That's why you need a specific one, a fence, and they only buy certain things at that),
-No silly hacks unless they can be used on me as well, (If suicide and cpsycho were actually doable, no one would run around with cyberware that talked to their brain. To even mess with cyberware as a hacker in the TTRPG, you need special programs and very very close range and you're very limited in what you can do)
-no perks that do unrealistic things like heal you (??!!!). Same for cyberware, unless it was in the tabletop (the secondary heart for example)
-no crafting super gear out of tin cans. Or super gear at all. Ridiculous. Why buy from Arasaka when after a few months of being a merc, you can build better than they sell!
-No stacking armor and certain damage mods. Bikinis that have better armour than vests? In fact, no armor that can't act as armor.

1.5 has fixed or improved some of these things. I did try a Netrunner build - it's not as OP now, but still needs mods so NPCs can really mess with you.

There is a big gap from the danger of Cyberpunk 2020 to Cyberpunk 2077, even on Very Hard with mods. And, that means there is less danger and excitement to the game. But, fixable!
Agree, the danger is very limited compared to the TTPRPG and yes it can be fixed. I also don't like to use hacks like contagion, or cpsycho. Always breach protocol first then mostly synapse burnout, short circuit, cyberware malfunction.

Only 'rule' I use is, if somebody scans up with "sexual assault, human trafficking, forcied inplant removal(?)" they get a lead shower. Even a homocidal contract killer has limits....
Haha nice! Likewise. If is see a pimp smacking up a girl I just walk up casually and point blank him haha.

Hah, love this thread! Yes, I have 1 rule: drink all the alcohol you see, even on missions. I'm a merc with Johnny in my brain, obvs I'm an alcoholic.
Haha, what better reason to drink everything! It's great to see how others play and impose their own rules. Great stuff, keep them coming everyone.

I many, some have been mentioned like head cannons for inbetween missions, usually affecting the time it takes until that event; restrictions on health items, grenades and weapons; can only use quickhacks after hacking into access code or takedown an enemy (and pretend I hack into him) until I get a mk3 deck...

Top Bottom