Do you think CDPR will improve the AI in future updates?

+

Do you think CDPR will update AI behaviour (Crowds / Cars)?

• Yes

• No

• Superficial fixes only

Results are only viewable after voting.
If they could, they would've done it already.

Disagree.

A lot of studios have built-in engines for these things that can be fairly easily ported to another game.

Case in point: Skyrim/Fallout. Doesn't take a lot of skull-sweat to spot the blatant ripping off of themselves. Heck, even some of the monsters are the same across the franchises! Mudcrabs, and those things that kinda look like Xenomorph centaurs (forget what they're called; mirelurks?).

But I don't know that CDPR has that; they might have to build an AI system completely from scratch.
That's why I don't really think that if they could, they wouldn't already.

If the only improvement they did in almost 6 months was making police spawn further, i'm afraid it's too much work for a complete fix.

Or maybe it's just a stop-gap until they can do the real thing. We don't know.
The information blackout makes this so much more difficult. If we could get a yea or nay on certain features in the future, I could relax, even if it meant never playing the game again. At least then I'd know.

1620511477476.png

Soon after launch a CDPR developer (I forget who) stated that the current state of the AI was considered a bug and something to be dealt with.
In my opinion it is possible they will make improvements on it. But since launch they had a myriad of things to take care of, from quest breaking bugs to optimizations, they changed different systems at the same time and some included small ai twitches. It seems to me making an AI overhaul is only possible if AI is the only factor being changed for a determined amount of time (not changing any other factors/systems) which will include new features in dialogue with all the cp77 world features and quests, optimization of these new features being active with the old ones on the world and then, time to test these. I doubt they could have a separate team working on this if the other teams are constantly changing other systems.
If the team considers this a bug, though, I'm also inclined to think some AI features might have been developed already but weren't active for poor streaming optimization, but if that's the case they should be outdated now, with other changes that happened to the code?
I'm only an interested player, no coding knowledge but from what I read it seems to me CDPR has a lot of work they can focus on in cyberpunk. Seeing that the game is out, some options for further development are out since player save games should remain uncorrupted and be read by the game. What direction they take, which branches of features they end up improving is up to them with the knowledge (only they have) of what's possible at this time for the goals they set up (including dlc and expansions).
To end on a more personal note I have stopped playing CP until they realize and fulfill this new vision. I remain optimistic for the future of this game, I know I enjoyed myself a lot on my first playthrough plus extra beginings I did (like 400 hours in total).
I believe the vision for this game (unfulfilled) is incredible, a masterpiece, the real version that came out and with the patches until now is very good, what the game will be after the last expansion - ?
But I'll wait for that. What I think is really unfair on the normalization of delivering unfinished product (I realize a game product may never be finished, that it is different than an utilitarian product that either works for its function or it doesn't; games are ilusions created for entertainment but they are illusions, they are bugged by nature because there isn't a natural essence in which it works and, if it is bugged, it doesn't), patching it out with player feedback included until it is "finished" is that the hardcore fans, the ones that are playing it since it came out will have memorized the game when the final version is out. The ones that help with troubleshooting will be more behind the curtain than in the audience enjoying. This should be in management's minds when opting for the option release now, fix later, with a little help from my friends

Soon after launch a CDPR developer (I forget who) stated that the current state of the AI was considered a bug and something to be dealt with.

Do you remember where? I'd like to see it, if I could.

And, if that's true, that's definitely useful info; thanks. :)

I have become used to pedestrians throwing themselves under the wheels of my car while I park or maneuver smoothly into a garage. I think if I played GTA V I would miss it... :coolstory:

Now seriously, I give CDPR a vote of confidence that AI will improve. Yet, I don't expect every NC inhabitant to behave as a unique entity with a unique mind and unique conversation.

I don't expect every NC inhabitant to behave as a unique entity with a unique mind and unique conversation.
They did manage to imply that's how it would be in their promos, didn't they!
Still, I can live without it if NPC behavior during, say, combat wasn't quite so...lackluster, I guess. Illogical. And with so little variety.

SLIGHTLY-OFF TOPIC QUERY: Anybody know why so many citizens are walking around clutching their upper arm like someone gave them two for flinching using Gorilla Arms? What's up with that? Am I missing a reference, like that's common among junkies who use a certain drug or something?

Disagree.

A lot of studios have built-in engines for these things that can be fairly easily ported to another game.

Case in point: Skyrim/Fallout. Doesn't take a lot of skull-sweat to spot the blatant ripping off of themselves. Heck, even some of the monsters are the same across the franchises! Mudcrabs, and those things that kinda look like Xenomorph centaurs (forget what they're called; mirelurks?).

But I don't know that CDPR has that; they might have to build an AI system completely from scratch.
That's why I don't really think that if they could, they wouldn't already.

Or maybe it's just a stop-gap until they can do the real thing. We don't know.
The information blackout makes this so much more difficult. If we could get a yea or nay on certain features in the future, I could relax, even if it meant never playing the game again. At least then I'd know.

View attachment 11217010
This was a personal opinion question. That was my personal opinion. I think there's no need to try to prove that i'm wrong. I accept the fact that you have a different opinion than mine though.

This was a personal opinion question. That was my personal opinion. I think there's no need to try to prove that i'm wrong. I accept the fact that you have a different opinion than mine though.
I wasn't so much trying to prove you wrong as present another perspective.
And, I mean, I do have some industry experience...

No, it won't improve, at least not to the extent that people are hoping. At their investor call, CDPR said they were moving 60% of the devs off to another IP> That doesn't leave enough staff to do anything other than make some minor tweaks, cosmetic DLC, and bugfixes.

Don't forget that mod on nexus done better job of fixing police AI than CDPR so no, they will not fix it.
I believe they will going to full Bethesda mode with fixing stuff.

• * "AI" as in the behaviour of crowds and cars, how they react to environmental changes, disappear/change when you turn 360°, etc.

I fear that after the game breaking bugs are fixed, CDPR will let the AI be as it is right now: braindead.
Even though I truly enjoy this game, I find this deficit to be a serious blocking factor for replays, because you tend to notice these things more and more.
I think they will eventually do it, but that it is not top priority at the moment. The game have many and much more severe flaws than AI. General bugs and performance on old gen consoles.

I would even consider the whole RPG, character progression, skill system to be more important. The lack of things to do in Night city also should get much higher priority than the AI in my opinion.

The almost complete lack of choice matters and branching stories. The variety in weapons, customizing your characters, 3D cutscenes so people can actually see what they look like. The whole gear system of how you look need to be fixed, so you don't run around looking like some weird experiment gone wrong, if you want to maximize your stats. The whole crafting system need a completely overhaul and the list goes on :) The AI at least in my opinion, despite being extremely basic is still far less important than these things.

But eventually they should improve the AI, especially the generic NPC and cars.

No. Too difficult and would require too many rippling changes to other aspects of the game.

no, ai is absent in this game. Decision trees are used instead. It will take at least a year to make it properly, well half year if you have toolset and experience. But still it will be lacking, also you need sme probably with combat background to make it more or less okay.

If they hired someone from rockstar or at least ubi in some fairy world maybe...but realistically no chance.

No, it won't improve, at least not to the extent that people are hoping. At their investor call, CDPR said they were moving 60% of the devs off to another IP> That doesn't leave enough staff to do anything other than make some minor tweaks, cosmetic DLC, and bugfixes.
Yea, but the 40% left are unlikely to be the creatives (artists, musicians, writers), but the nuts & bolts people who are more likely working on the underlying code (he said optimistically).
Don't forget that mod on nexus done better job of fixing police AI than CDPR so no, they will not fix it.
I believe they will going to full Bethesda mode with fixing stuff.
Do you have a link, or is it the one where they chase you in cars?
no, ai is absent in this game. Decision trees are used instead. It will take at least a year to make it properly, well half year if you have toolset and experience. But still it will be lacking, also you need sme probably with combat background to make it more or less okay.

If they hired someone from rockstar or at least ubi in some fairy world maybe...but realistically no chance.
I'm no programmer but wouldn't decision tree's work fine?
Police: If player is non threatening treat as civilian / If player has shot bystander raise threat level to 1 (attempt to arrest) / if player is fleeing jump in car and give chase / Else radio for help
Pedestrians: Walk to A and do action / If player in sight turn a corner before vanishing / If in danger do one of 15-ish actions (not one of two actions - one of which state <the cowering> remains long after the ultra violence ends)
Drivers: If car in front is stop but not at traffic lights attempt to pass safely when break in approaching traffic allows it (pretty much all we need to fix the cars).
I don't care aout lacking AI I just want the pretence of them living in the world and not just vanishing into the ether 'cause I turned 180 degree's suddenly.

Yea, but the 40% left are unlikely to be the creatives (artists, musicians, writers), but the nuts & bolts people who are more likely working on the underlying code (he said optimistically).

Do you have a link, or is it the one where they chase you in cars?

I'm no programmer but wouldn't decision tree's work fine?
Police: If player is non threatening treat as civilian / If player has shot bystander raise threat level to 1 (attempt to arrest) / if player is fleeing jump in car and give chase / Else radio for help
Pedestrians: Walk to A and do action / If player in sight turn a corner before vanishing / If in danger do one of 15-ish actions (not one of two actions - one of which state <the cowering> remains long after the ultra violence ends)
Drivers: If car in front is stop but not at traffic lights attempt to pass safely when break in approaching traffic allows it (pretty much all we need to fix the cars).
I don't care aout lacking AI I just want the pretence of them living in the world and not just vanishing into the ether 'cause I turned 180 degree's suddenly.
well, the approach they chosen is very old, does not scale, gets complicated very quickly, it was used in 00s. It will be very hard to implement competent ai with it. Also with this approach ai will get stuck and do pretty stupid things :) easier to build from scratch, simply speaking it is not able to adapt to player actions. And FSM approach they choosen is not favored by devs, as it is not interesting work.

Last edited:
Improve? Why? "The game got 9 and 10 on pc", it's perfect. Kinda.

That's CDPR'S position on the game, we haven't got much since December and we won't get much in the future. It's pretty simple. Bug fixing and (if they manage) acceptable frame rate on consoles.

Do yourselves a favour: accept it.

Top Bottom