Do You Think Cyberpunk 2077 (as of now) is an Immersive Sim game?

+

Do You Think Cyberpunk 2077 (as of now) is an IMMERSIVE SIM game?

• YES (post your reasons why)

Votes: 28 17.5%
  • NO (your reasons & maybe how to improve it)

Votes: 83 51.9%
  • It's complicated (post your reasons why & maybe how to improve it)

Votes: 25 15.6%
  • Huh... What's even immersive sim?

Votes: 24 15.0%

• Total voters
For the subject matter I voted It's complicated. Never played a game that gave me this feeling: asside from when the game is/was incredibly buggy on my system I feel more invested with my V and the game the more I know the game. I feel like I really roleplay it (feel like my V sim) when I can antecipate what he/she will do next in NC and how that affects the character I'm developing. But then this system is not being fully taken advantage of by limiting the city right in tge begining for example and the level system by area which isn't even affected by the lifepath also limits the replayability and variance that we can acomplish on different Vs.
To try to explain with an example I roleplay a Techie Nomad V terrible at hacking and stealth so he may go for a stealth mission early on and mess it up and have to develop this before going for the next stealth mission or just avoids them, etc.. going for Jotaro early on or only in act 2 is completely diferent another example. The order of main and sidequest too obviously.
So I feel like the player needs to kbow somewhat the content to be able to choose how to tackle it.
It's the same with cruising the city and how it is so hollywood set-like. When we first go out of the apartment on act one police is shouting the guy is banging the soda machine,... and if we walk past this casually observing it's incredibly immersive but if we hang around we see the post-production and in that sense it's not reactive at all. It asks us to be reactive.
Post automatically merged:

Off-topic, but could you repost this to 1.3 bug topic? We had 13 page topic here months ago tracking things like this but I don't think anyone mentioned this.
I havr mentioned this before but I don't remember at which thread but yeah will do. But there are more examples and we're talking about what npcs say to each other in gigs for examplr. Another one is Royce-related gangers. We can kill Royce in act 1 and in act 2 the cyberpsycho which is one of the last Brice supporter (is it Brice?) aldo doesn't fit.

Last edited:
I havr mentioned this before but I don't remember at which thread but yeah will do. But there are more examples and we're talking about what npcs say to each other in gigs for examplr. Another one is Royce-related gangers. We can kill Royce in act 1 and in act 2 the cyberpsycho which is one of the last Brice supporter (is it Brice?) aldo doesn't fit.
You could also split it into new topic like "Continuity issues" for further investigation to sort out how to repeat and ultimately file as bugs.

You could also split it into new topic like "Continuity issues" for further investigation to sort out how to repeat and ultimately file as bugs.
I think that's a better idea and will do. I'm going to have dinner haha and do it later. But I don't think these are bugs and I hope they know this. I really think there wasn't time yet
Post automatically merged:

"Brick" and the dude is the Cyberpshyco (Ellis Carter) :)
Thank you. That's it

Guest 3847602

I get a bit lost on these genres names but this hollywood set he describes I feel in CP like in no other game. And I don't think it's because it's not a sandbox. It's because the Nomad in Kabuki that tells us where hanna amil is at stays there until the end of the game, same with many spaces in town after their content ends, same with post romances,... it's because events even if they are fixed they don't correlate with our actions (we kill Jotaro and a month later find Jotaro gangoons following his orders somewhere...). For me it's because the game is incredibly incomplete in many areas. I'm not talking about cut features or the typically apointed missing content. I mean these kind of events not updating because the new version isn't there, object discriptions outdated, even very little lore compared to what I was expecting at least. The journal information is very little for example. If we think about TW3 and compare amount of content in dialogues all around (including alterations based on player choices), books, bestiary and the whole journal we see that however more complicated in technical terms as CP may be, many areas of the game feel shortened.
And this to say that the curent iteration of the game feels like it couldn't be completed to include some random encounters, repeatable side activities, etc. It's not like the game would become something else entirely if it had some random generated ambushes, ability to eat with animation, car chases etc.
Is RDR2 a sandbox? Because it has a main story and it has oprn world events that happen on specific sites. But it also has random encounters etc...
I don't see anything unnatural about the nomad from Woman of La Mancha remaining in place after the mission is complete. If Anna Hamill did, that would be a big problem.
As for TW3, it was lambasted on this very forum by absolutely everyone for how the game world reacts (or how it doesn't react) to Radovid's assassination.
RDR2 is not a pure sandbox, but it has many elements of one (richly detailed open world and advanced NPC AI providing the basis for emergent gameplay), but the story and missions themselves are completely linear.

The Nomad is one example but in-world there are some time references. Winston doesn't see V for weeks from act 1 to act 2 but he remains there.
But in TW3 there are a lot of moments where it does react and update. Anyways I'm trying to give a few examples of more constant situations in CP77.
Yes RDR2 main missions are completelly linear but the variance in CP' main and side quests don't account for all the other content not present in the game. I don't want to spend a lot of effort comparing CP to other games and if I did above was just for some context of quantity of content that is possible to have in games nowadays, including from CDPR. The lore for example we know they are very lore friendly but it could have a lot more in journal I'd say.

Off-topic, but could you repost this to 1.3 bug topic? We had 13 page topic here months ago tracking things like this but I don't think anyone mentioned this.
Sorry CS554 I won't be creating this thread actually. If you want go for it.

No, and I don't think it was ever intended to be. It's an action oriented game with RPG elements, set in an open world. The only simulation elements are those which are designed to give the illusion that the world is dynamic, and to let you have some fun interacting with it (driving, for instance). I've been playing and enjoying simulation games for the better part of three decades, so my idea of a simulation might be a bit more strict than that of some people.

CP2077 I believe cannot be classified as a Sim, meaning Simulator.
This is a sim:
1633669552418.jpeg

CP2077 is by no means a game in this genre.

Pufty

Forum regular
I don't feel like it's either of those two words. IMO immersive and shallow don't go together, but that's just me

Once the tutorial is finished, my first experience in the game was go to a arcade and try play it." Oh, I see :/" was my reaction.

The world around you is not interactive, and this is my great problem with the game.

Went for: it's complicated, because what isn't? The more you get the more you want. And, no - will not stop moaning about wanting this game in VR and BD stuff, etc. Because what is immersion to you? And what is achievable within the limits today? And what do you want from it anyway?
No, I did not read the description of a SIM game.
So with(out) that in mind:

Immersion Pros (for me):
- First person
- Night City [level design until it hits the limit]
- Story [linear, yes; do you want to immerse yourself into it y/n?]
- Gameplay [more or less, more than less maybe]
- Sound
- Details

Cons:
- Night City [you interact with the city, not the other way around, unless you trigger scripted repetitive events]
- Story [linear; do you want to immerse yourself into it y/n? If no, why do you even play it?]
-

Now, I started playing Witcher 3 and was surprised to hit some (even though scripted) unexpected events when I made some sort of choices in the past (some priest stuff in Novigrad). Now that's a nice touch to immersion, I guess, e.g.

Last edited:
If i don't nitpick on what features are and aren't there my biggest immersion breaker is looting and inventory management. It distracts me too much from being in the moment and living in the world. For me most encounters end up looking at ground and spamming F, then disassembling or looking for dropbox to unload. And it's both the quantity and the way how it's implemented.

1. Actually shower instead of just standing in the water with your hands against the wall.
2. Actually use the toilet instead of flushing it for no reason.
3. Maybe add a game mode that adds a hunger, thirst, and fatigue needs to maintain. Give us an actual reason to drink a can of spunky monkey, eat that XXL Burrito Rosado, or actually use V's apartment to sleep. If having fatigue requiring you to sleep for a few hours, maybe even add the option to pay for a motel room.
4. Option to increase/decrease the volume of the TV in V's apartment.
5. If our inventory menu shows V without underwear equipped, let V walk around without underwear. Makes no sense to see V not wearing any clothing at all, but suddenly V is wearing magically appearing underwear when you leave the menu.

'Immersion' is a funny thing... theres some good suggestions here, but I feel like even if they are added, your gonna get a lot of people who say it's still not immersive.

I wanna throw a few out there as well cause why not.

Seeing V eat food seems cool. More places for V to sit would be cool too.

I wanna sit and eat randomly as I take a break from side missions.

I voted 'yes'. Its immersive. V can't run around naked? Well scratch that vote then! Not immersive whatsoever! 0/10. Would not reccomend.

Funnily enough, I was a little bummed out when I found out I couldn't have V run around birthday suit style.

The lack of underwear commentary from NPCs is disheartening too. Notice me guys! Check out these abs. Could break diamonds on these bad boys.

Theres other 'immersion breaking stuff. You don't need me describing them. I'm pretty sure multiple posts here have already done that.

Fixing stuff like this would improve immersion, I guess. However I voted yes because despite whatever flaws the game has. It's pretty immersive in many ways.

I'm a bit biased in a way. Most of the immersion breaking things in the game don't really bother me. I don't particularly care. It's fun and by that logic. Its immersive enough for me. :ok:

'Immersion' is a funny thing
Reminds me golden rule of thumb for audio - to have "proper" sound your bass must be in balance with highs. E.g. if your tiny pocket radio cant play below 100Hz (-3octaves) one should filter everything above 8kHz (+3octaves). It's very similar in all areas including immersion. The highest and lowest quality content must be within the same expectation range to feel "real". You know how out of place a super detailed character would look in minecraft or bad old CGI looked in movies.

Guest 3847602

Guys, immersive sims have nothing to do with random encounters, NPC routines, eating and drinking animations, watching TV or playing arcade games. Seriously, nothing whatsoever. Here is an hour and a half long video about the games of this genre:

Immersive sim =/= life simulator.

Top Bottom