Do You Think Cyberpunk 2077 (as of now) is an Immersive Sim game?

+

Do You Think Cyberpunk 2077 (as of now) is an IMMERSIVE SIM game?

• YES (post your reasons why)

Votes: 28 17.5%
  • NO (your reasons & maybe how to improve it)

Votes: 83 51.9%
  • It's complicated (post your reasons why & maybe how to improve it)

Votes: 25 15.6%
  • Huh... What's even immersive sim?

Votes: 24 15.0%

• Total voters
After the recent Pawel Sasko posts of the RETROSPECTIVE of CP2077 QUESTS, this got me really thinking the extents of their works & also game/level design team on how Cyberpunk 2077 can be considered as Immersive Sim game or not. I just wanna know what this forums community think about it & HOPEFULLY it will help the devs for further future development, IF THE DEVS ACTUALLY READ THIS THREAD LOL
Maybe I'm gonna ask a dumb question here, but what exactly would you constitute as "an immersive SIM game"
I find the game very immersive, and I'm hella down with my V [Callie is her name] and she's intrinsically linked to CP77 as far as I'm concerned. cant make another 'avatar', as it would just feel weird.
I dont know if that would qualify it as an immersive sim game, if yes: then yes.

"'Immersive Sim' is a term that was originally coined by Doug Church and popularized by Warren Spector to refer to a canon of games by Looking Glass Studios and a few developers inspired by them in the 1990s and early 2000s." See - https://rosodudemods.wordpress.com/2020/12/14/immersive-sim-is-a-design-philosophy-not-a-genre/ for a discussion of them in historical context. I've never really seen it as a genre itself but more as a design philosophy that describes how developers want the player to experience the game they're creating. Almost any sort of exploration focused story based game can involve immersive sim elements.

The heart of it is not an immersive sim because it's first a story focused role playing game. But the environment and side gigs are trying to give it some of that flavor for sure.

EDIT: I didn't vote in the poll because I don't think the term itself is very helpful as a label for a game.

Last edited:
I liked Dishonored too. If they could make a new IP orienting on stealth, action and level design it would be beautiful yes.

EDIT: I didn't vote in the poll because I don't think the term itself is very helpful as a label for a game.
Someone had to say it. :)

A simulation of something specifically designed to immerse the user into that something. Yeah, it doesn't seem to be a particularly useful label. As your link claims the label is too general. It doesn't say what a game is so much as one of it's philosophical goals.

The personally urgent nature of this game's story and finality of it's resolution will always be at odds with any kind of sim aspect not immediately related to the main story. It's struggle with how much of an rpg it does or doesn't want to be at any given time also hurt immersion.

I've been trying to avoid this thread because anything I say will just be the zombie child of my "Its not a sandbox" rant.

RANT

find/replace sandbox/sim..... Cyberpunk /Gta....... Minecraft/farming simulator

ENDRANT

Actually that felt cathartic, thanks for your time 🙂

Love this game for what it does right (the city and outskirts, the setting, the design and the colorfull characters) It's a great but buggy first person action RPG but definitely NOT an immersive sim. It's closer to Witcher 3 meets GTA in 80's retrofuture style than Deux Ex bring's Akira to dinner,

If it was an immersive sim, you would be able to kill important NPC's and still be able to finish the game.
If it was an immersive sim, you would be able to acquire any plot items any-time by going to the right place independently of a quest marker asking you to pick it up.
If it was an immersive sim, your actions would have reactions, sometimes permanent, in the world (ex: fluid gang territories, bounty on your head, new gig's where there was none before or related to previous consequences, NPC's or locations turning hostile to you or refusing to talk to you (there is one such case here), etc...)
If it was an immersive sim, NPC's would react to you picking up their stuff in front of their eyes or dropping crap on the floor like mines (why can't we pick up and arm mines anyway ?).
If it was an immersive sim, you would be able to complete the game by heading to the right places at the right time in some obscure way and completing the main objectives instead of having quests locked in their own bubble and not interacting one with another). It could be by using some very specific dialogue choices (could be locked behind skill checks), using or finding specific plot items . Includes ending the game without hurting a single soul or on the contrary killing everyone on sight.
etc... Just go and play some of the games that fall in that genre to get a gist of it but more notably the first Deus Ex.

For Cyberpunk 2077, this would require a lot of fundamental changes but mainly around the way the missions work (the yellow ones) by making, for example but not limited to, the main objective the only requirement to complete it and having side objectives not mentioned at all unless V was told about them (no game designer hand holding with map markers). Every NPC must be killable resulting in more work on the scripting. But every NPC must also react to you trying to kill them (it should be hard to get away with it though).
Examples :
If Judy dies when she's following you or waiting for you in the van for some reason, then that's a bummer but shouldn't prevent you from still being able to find clues in that general Evelyn quest-line. You can also try to shoot her resulting in the Moxes turning on you on sight while degrading your general notoriety and potentially locking you out of some missions.
How about skipping parts or entire missions by raiding places before you were tasked to do so and as such acquiring quest items out of order before you need them while still getting clues by fixers about such items and thus unlocking future missions or gigs ahead of time.
How about finding where that boxer, Razor lives or hangs out and poisoning him before the fight, or killing / blackmailing / making him NCPD wanted or a gang target, or enhancing yourself in a weird way or using a combination of items that makes the fight trivial, almost glitch like (I beat him the intended way on the n'th try but that was a pain. Almost felt like you're intended to loose) ...

Anyway, as you can see, there is a LOT of work to make this possible so no chance of seeing this unless CD Project changes the way they do Game Design for Cyberpunk 2. No more map with EVERYTHING on it, no more perma locked doors or single point entry missions/locations, no more invisible or untouchable items until a quests says otherwise... etc...

Last edited:
I voted no, because it's not immersive POINT.

How Is immersive the police just spawning at You? Never seen ever in a game.
It's just bad. They even didn't add like a "teleportation effect" to make it more believable.
It's really offensive for the players.

What about civilian AI? This is the most believable city in a RPG, remember?
No interaction, No talk, No random actions, nothing. Just nothing.

So what remains? The Gig?
Player customization? (But only in the creation menu)

No, this is not an RPG, not a SIM game, it's not a game. It's a bad alpha version.

Would it be possible for next-gen Cyberpunk to become immersive sim?

Last edited:
I feel like it's a very very light immersive sim. Decisions have some varied outcomes but they have very little baring on the story and the world never changes as a result. I wish it did. Even a little bit. It made the city feel lifeless after the shine of how amazing it looks wore off.

Haven´t played this pathetic excuse of a game in months. Today I´ve seen that there was a 50 gig + update so I thought why not. Mabye there´s something cool new... NOOOOTHING. 50!!!! GIG FOR NOTHING(-(-(-.-)-)-*)

Haven´t played this pathetic excuse of a game in months. Today I´ve seen that there was a 50 gig + update so I thought why not. Mabye there´s something cool new... NOOOOTHING. 50!!!! GIG FOR NOTHING(-(-(-.-)-)-*)
Wait what? 50 new gigs? I played it yesterday and there was no update in GOG. Nothing on cyberpunk.net news page either. What are you talking about?

Top Bottom