Do you think Phantom Liberty will be worth the price? Reasons?

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Optimizing a game for GPUs that less than 1% own is, in my opinion, not smart. I mean, even years from now when everyone has upgraded to more powerful hardware, there is no guarantee that those upgrades will all be Nvidia capable Path Tracing cards, right? So, anyone without an Nvidia card is going to get a less than optimal experience? I'm personally looking towards getting the Intel Battlemage for my next GPU (Lord willing) not Ngreedia.
Its not optimized for it, a 4090 can just brute force it. You cant really optimize for a specific card since its generally the same core and functions. They could probably go more nvidia specific (and with RT they kinda have) since AMDs way of doing gfx cards are quite a bit diffrent, especially now with the 7900 series. Intels cards are also very diffrent from nvidia and amds nowdays so its going to become even more oddities with performance. Its a interesting ide and i think they have tryed before with software driven cards but it never left the prototype stage. I wish both AMD and Intels cards could give the 4090 a run for its money but atm it looks like a pipedream (especially with RT)

IF pathtracing is the future it wont be standard for atleast the next generation cards or even a bit further. Just like the most used resolution is still 1080p even if 4k has been out for years now. Heck most dont even use more the 60 hz screens. Isent the 1650 still the most common card too? Does that mean we should not make anything more advanced then those specs would be able too handle?

That said, the new spec requirements and the insistence on prioritizing high-end Nvidia cards just adds to my point of waiting for credible reviews on performance for the DLC. Only time will tell.
One of the main reasons I suggest everybody to wait out the release.

CP77 itself had rather inconsistent performance on different PCs, that might be the main reason to raise the hardware requirements in the upcoming expansion, however I don’t trust them enough to settle on their performance promises.

I love when developers aren’t settling for boundaries, but this might be a little too much. Personally, even though I work in a game development environment, I don’t know of a single person who owns a rig capable of running recommended Pathtracing settings. The vast majority of players will have to settle for mediocre graphical fidelity, and will always keep in their minds how the game could’ve looked if it wasn’t for their non supercomputer spec PC.

I’m still hoping they’ve exaggerated the requirements for the sake of having a little room to breathe.

Hi,

I have no doubt PL will be an enjoyable game, worth the money paid for it.

But I'll skip it, because no way I'll invest 1500 euros+ on new hardware as I run CP2077 flawlessly in 1440p + RT in Ultra/Psycho+ DLSS with my 5600X + 3070RTX (overclocked both though).

I expect the same experience with the same hardware: seems that I'll only run the game in medium without RTX: I'll pass.

From what I heard, it doesn't ;)
I think PL add an alternative ending, which is, well... an ending as the other ones. So you will most likely return in front of the Embers after completing the PL ending (like all other endings).
There is so much potential to make the current game better, rather than just returning the gamer to Embers. The more proffered ending was the one where V acquires the luxury mansion and the Afterlife. If CDPR were to add additional side missions that continue after that ending, it would feel rather realistic. But let's say V actually can solver her issue with the engram by helping the president? It could create a bit of a unique twist. Again we don't know all the details of the new expansion. I'd like to think that Phantom Liberty's character's could can actually exit DOGTOWN and appear in the Night City locations that we've already been introduced to. Consider the possibility that V could also solve the engram issue by helping the president. That could in turn change other decisions she makes in the game. CDPR could easily be hiding a lot of cause and effect features that the expansion DLC may have. Think about it for a second. If the president can actually solve V's engram issue, why would she need to to seek help from Hanako Arasaka? It seems kind of pointless to introduce a new proposition if we already know that the outcome is still going to lead us to a proposition from Hanako.

If you want to know what I think; I'd say that the proposition from the NUSA president is bigger than what the teaser trailer revealed.

There is so much potential to make the current game better, rather than just returning the gamer to Embers. The more proffered ending was the one where V acquires the luxury mansion and the Afterlife. If CDPR were to add additional side missions that continue after that ending, it would feel rather realistic. But let's say V actually can solver her issue with the engram by helping the president? It could create a bit of a unique twist. Again we don't know all the details of the new expansion. I'd like to think that Phantom Liberty's character's could can actually exit DOGTOWN and appear in the Night City locations that we've already been introduced to. Consider the possibility that V could also solve the engram issue by helping the president. That could in turn change other decisions she makes in the game. CDPR could easily be hiding a lot of cause and effect features that the expansion DLC may have. Think about it for a second. If the president can actually solve V's engram issue, why would she need to to seek help from Hanako Arasaka? It seems kind of pointless to introduce a new proposition if we already know that the outcome is still going to lead us to a proposition from Hanako.

If you want to know what I think; I'd say that the proposition from the NUSA president is bigger than what the teaser trailer revealed.
I guess you didn't get what I said :)
No matter what ending you currently choose, after the credits roll, the story is finished. If you want to continue to play, you have to clic on the button "One More GIG" and you respawn at the point of no return, like if nothing happen, with the final quest available (Nocturn OP55n1).
So I think no matter the outcome of the alterntive ending added by Phantom Liberty, it will be the same. No matter the outcome, after the credits, if you want to continue to play, you'll have to clic on the same button and you will respawn at the point of no return, like if nothing happen.
In short, no real "end-game", knowing if you keep playing, you will always "restart" before the endings, with your "relic" problem.

Beside, I see lot of people having hope about what Militech will offer, but forget an important point... In this world, corpos are evil and Militech is no different than any other corpos and as evil as Arasaka :)

Like @LeKill3rFou said, corpos are only out to look out for themselves. Militech is no different. They will use V to achieve their objectives. That is it. Maybe they'll manage to give V hope but it will definitely not be a cure.

There is no happy ending in CP2077 and there won't be one. There are plenty of lore reasons for this. For example, there is no reason to believe Militech would somehow be more capable of dealing with the engram than Arasaka is. It's Arasaka's tech and it's highly experimental. To the point where Arasaka itself is unable to remove it by the end of the game. Furthermore, the engram isn't even near Militech's area of expertise. There is no reason for them to be able to remove it outside of ridiculous narrative gymnastics.

Outside of the game and grounded in the real world, putting the happy ending behind a paywall while so many have been clamoring for a happy ending since December 2020 is just a crazy and stupid move.

The game was meant to have an end and not a particularly happy one. It's way past time to accept this. PL will be more quality content but it will definitely not redefine the overall narrative of the story.

Like @LeKill3rFou said, corpos are only out to look out for themselves. Militech is no different. They will use V to achieve their objectives. That is it. Maybe they'll manage to give V hope but it will definitely not be a cure.

There is no happy ending in CP2077 and there won't be one. There are plenty of lore reasons for this. For example, there is no reason to believe Militech would somehow be more capable of dealing with the engram than Arasaka is. It's Arasaka's tech and it's highly experimental. To the point where Arasaka itself is unable to remove it by the end of the game. Furthermore, the engram isn't even near Militech's area of expertise. There is no reason for them to be able to remove it outside of ridiculous narrative gymnastics.

Outside of the game and grounded in the real world, putting the happy ending behind a paywall while so many have been clamoring for a happy ending since December 2020 is just a crazy and stupid move.

The game was meant to have an end and not a particularly happy one. It's way past time to accept this. PL will be more quality content but it will definitely not redefine the overall narrative of the story.
Hard disagree, but we all know my opinion on things by now. I don't buy the whole 'cyberpunk has no happy endings' trope as the be-all-end-all. We don't know what this new ending will bring. We also don't know what the sequel will bring. Could be a continuation of V's story...or not. Who knows? But I refuse to believe that my Vs are dead no matter what they do.

Hard disagree, but we all know my opinion on things by now. I don't buy the whole 'cyberpunk has no happy endings' trope as the be-all-end-all. We don't know what this new ending will bring. We also don't know what the sequel will bring. Could be a continuation of V's story...or not. Who knows? But I refuse to believe that my Vs are dead no matter what they do.

There is nothing to disagree about. We're talking about this game and the way it currently ends - V dies. it's unequivocal. Every ending currently makes it very clear that the engram wins whatever V does and can't be removed without killing V. Nor did I say anything about the genre as a whole, I happen to agree with you - Cyberpunk can end well. It's all up to the writers and these writers chose a bittersweet ending at best and a very horrible (in terms of outcome) at worst. I personally am fine with this. It's ok if you're not, it doesn't change the facts though.

And, sure, we don't know what the new ending will be, if it's actually a new ending at all. It could simply be flavor to the existing ones after all, as we've seen in TW3. But even if it's a whole new ending, I have no doubt it will not be the happy ending you want. Outside of how it would clash with the current endings and all the themes the game explores that are all clearly leading to these endings, the PR nightmare alone should be enough to stop CDPR from considering it.

Think about this for a second, people have been wanting a happy ending since 2020. Now, a lot of people are going to come back to a game they can't enjoy to the same degree of graphical fidelity as they previously did, if they haven't been locked out entirely (assuming the new specs are to be believed) and then CDPR would come out and go "Y'know that happy ending you guys wanted? IT'S HERE NOW! Just fork some more cash over". It would play straight into the narrative of the greedy company trying to milk their customers as much as possible by withholding content that should have been in the base game.

I can already see the headlines.

And who are WE? I will probably try Starfield, but I plan to play Phantom Liberty first (and get tired of it). All Bethesda games I've played were buggy.
By the way, seeing the amount of work put in the expansion it is weird to expect it to be free.
We does not include me, I can tell you that.
I've been watching some of the things they say and show about Starfield and I have concerns. The game strikes me as a NMS year-1 game, add to that there's apparently not gonna be vehicle/mount traverse across planetscapes, meaning to me there playable map is probably gonna be small once you're on the planet -or- planets will be very empty. At any rate, what Bethesda (!) 'claims' you can do, I'm definately unconvinced. Starfield acc. to them sound like every planet would have a fallout-sized world to explore... Yeah doesn't sound likely tbh.
My september game-list will be Mortal Kombat 1 followed by Phantom Liberty.

Last edited:
I'm content with the current level of performance I get from my system. When 2.0 hits and the performance is worse, or when reviews of PL hits on the 26th with reports of worse performance, then I'm out.

Last edited:
There is nothing to disagree about. We're talking about this game and the way it currently ends - V dies. it's unequivocal. Every ending currently makes it very clear that the engram wins whatever V does and can't be removed without killing V. Nor did I say anything about the genre as a whole, I happen to agree with you - Cyberpunk can end well. It's all up to the writers and these writers chose a bittersweet ending at best and a very horrible (in terms of outcome) at worst. I personally am fine with this. It's ok if you're not, it doesn't change the facts though.

And, sure, we don't know what the new ending will be, if it's actually a new ending at all. It could simply be flavor to the existing ones after all, as we've seen in TW3. But even if it's a whole new ending, I have no doubt it will not be the happy ending you want. Outside of how it would clash with the current endings and all the themes the game explores that are all clearly leading to these endings, the PR nightmare alone should be enough to stop CDPR from considering it.

Think about this for a second, people have been wanting a happy ending since 2020. Now, a lot of people are going to come back to a game they can't enjoy to the same degree of graphical fidelity as they previously did, if they haven't been locked out entirely (assuming the new specs are to be believed) and then CDPR would come out and go "Y'know that happy ending you guys wanted? IT'S HERE NOW! Just fork some more cash over". It would play straight into the narrative of the greedy company trying to milk their customers as much as possible by withholding content that should have been in the base game.

Um....V doesn't die in any of the endings save for the 'suicide' one. All the other ones end on a cliffhanger, but I'm in no mood to argue this so yea....

Guest 4670038

Um....V doesn't die in any of the endings save for the 'suicide' one. All the other ones end on a cliffhanger, but I'm in no mood to argue this so yea....
Again, not to get too much off topic from the main theme (no amount of side banter will make me forget that the upcoming DLC is definitely NOT a day one purchase at full price for me) and I know you just said you don't want to discuss this but, V technically dies in every ending except the Saka one. Soulkiller does exactly what it says. Having an engram drive your body isn't life. It's little more than a simulacrum, a copy. It is NOT the real/original Thought/Spark that makes up Human consciousness.

Saka ending is the only ending where V doesn't die.

Edit: Yes, there is the whole 'You have six months to live' schtick. Still though.

Again, not to get too much off topic from the main theme (no amount of side banter will make me forget that the upcoming DLC is definitely NOT a day one purchase at full price for me) and I know you just said you don't want to discuss this but, V technically dies in every ending except the Saka one. Soulkiller does exactly what it says. Having an engram drive your body isn't life. It's little more than a simulacrum, a copy. It is NOT the real/original Thought/Spark that makes up Human consciousness.

Saka ending is the only ending where V doesn't die.

Edit: Yes, there is the whole 'You have six months to live' schtick. Still though.
Not really. They pack V's ass into an engram and do 'who knows what' with the carcass. I'd call that pretty dead myself.

I fail to see the problem. Content within a paid expansion is behind a pay wall in all cases. So complaints in this area could pop up no matter what PL adjusts. I doubt another ending with the "you're sorta screwed" concept would be met with overwhelming positivity from everyone. They could just as easily spin it into "An expansion with more of the same, get the pitchforks!"

I don't think most people were frustrated because the game lacked a happy ending anyway. They were frustrated because choices lose their luster when they all lead to a similar consequence. Especially for the player character.

Besides, V escaping the Relic would fall closer to bittersweet. The ordeal they underwent, friends they lost, the aftermath.... All of it would undoubtedly leave a mark.

Evaluating worth is purely subjective when it comes to any hobby. I for one will wait for the 2.0 patch to get a feeling for the game's performance before I even start thinking about Phantom Liberty.

Regarding PL itself and expansions as a whole I generally prefer more lengthy expansions, but depending on how high the quality of the thing is, the goalpost will change. A fantastic 5-8 hours with high narrative replayability can be worth it to me, but so can be solid and varied 8-15 hours or even mechanically really engaging but somewhat grindy 30+ hours.

It all depends on the genre, the general execution and obviously my own expectations.

Guest 4670038

Not really. They pack V's ass into an engram and do 'who knows what' with the carcass. I'd call that pretty dead myself.
That's only if you sign the contract. Otherwise, V is free to pack-up and leave at any time after recovery.
Post automatically merged:

I doubt it'll be worth it.

I think I'll be keeping my eye on Starfield instead.
I was keeping my eye on the next Mass Effect installment, but with the current state of the EA app Electronic Arts can eat a giant bag of fetid goat dicks. So, Starfield is quickly shaping up to be my next Sci-Fi space game (Lord willing). Though Bethesda does have a habit of making bug-riddled games themselves, they are partnered with Xbox now, so the likelihood of them releasing an unpolished game this time around decreases...probably. I'll wait for reviews just to be safe.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's only if you sign the contract. Otherwise, V is free to pack-up and leave at any time after recovery.
Post automatically merged:
Sure, but if you don't the prognosis is the same - V will expire in roughly six months with the relic wiping their consciousness. If that counts as living then so would The Star ending, as well as The Sun ending.

Why are so many people dead locked against optimism of Phantom Liberty expanding the game, beyond the Arasaka mission?
Not really against... But as the game currently is, there are many reasons, but I give you one (good) reason at least ;)

Most if not all the side quests like for Panam, Judy, Kerry, River, Johnny, Rogue, Delamain, even Brendan... (and most of GIGs too) are intended to be played/completed before the endings, because they involve Johnny, the Relic, have dialogues and events about them. So if you're allowed to continue playing after the endings, all of these quests have to be considered as failed or unavailable at least (I don't see CDPR rewrite and change dialogues/events in most of the side content to fit a "post-ending" gameplay). So well, it would only remains NCDP Scanner Husltes and a couple of GIGs available...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom