Do you think the MP will turn into a cash cow for CDPR?

+

Are you interested in CP77 Online?

• Yes

Votes: 26 25.2%
  • I'll check it out, doubt I will spend too much time with it

Votes: 17 16.5%
  • No

Votes: 60 58.3%

• Total voters
First I want to say that if you wish and intend on enjoying the supposed Multiplayer that maybe will come out in 2022 I wish you all the best and have fun, but with that being said I see a lot of people either here or somewhere else saying that: "Hopefully everything that was promised and not delivered will be in the Multiplayer when it's out".
So, am i the only one wishing that is not the case? That if CDPR can actually pull it off and implement not all because I feel that's impossible, but most of the features that are seemingly missing from the game, are actually implemented in the "60$" single-player game we paid for?

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind multiplayer focused games, but I have no intentions in buying said version of Cyberpunk, even less so if the features I was looking forward to are there, since they were promised somewhere else.
I'm not looking for what or who is to blame here for said discrepancies, there are more than enough threads about it, but I feel like if that ends up happening we will be incentivising the investors and other money people to try and push CDPR into the GTA route, where all the great stuff instead of being sent to or even shared with the single-player mode/game, is rather entirely restricted to the Online mode.
It's obvious that Rockstar has not released story expansions anymore (Like TBOGT with GTA IV or Undead Nightmare for RDR 1) like many want because GTA:O is literally a golden cash cow for them. So imagine what would happen if not only the mode that has been confirmed to have microtransactions sees a huge influx of players and possible paying players, because what was "missing" from SP is now in this online version of Cyberpunk?

Anyway, what you guys think? Once again, I'm not trying to force people to dislike the idea of a MP mode, just saying my thoughts here and why I personally won't support such thing.

*Edit: Changed stripped to missing, after thinking a little about it it would be unfair to say/imply CDPR willfully removed aspects of the game out of spite rather than running out of time due to the numerous reasons people have already mentioned everywhere.
I have close to no interest in a MP version of this game, have nothing to do with whether or not content was added here or not. Simply that I prefer playing RPGs in single player.

As a mod creator for over 20 years I had thought at one time making all these games on line only would be a great new frontier. I was wrong. ON LINE often means no legal mods or at least very limited legal mods. This is what happen to Fallout. You cannot have game code edit mods AND locked down code for no cheating at the same time.

Code level mods are mods that edit the game code to make things like game mechanic mods such as making AI better or adding cut contend such as the Train system .

So despite all Bethesda's promising Fallout 76 still has no legal code level mods. Even Fallout 4 is now affected because they re-designed the game (they did this AFTER most people purchased the game ) for updates (to sell microtransaction crap) and each time this happen many moders have to re-edit their mods. Eventually some such as myself just give up on it.

And the likely fear is that if they (Bethesda) make all the rest of their games on line only then even their future "Single player" games would be hog tied as well.

I stopped playing Bethesda games and came to CD Project RED thinking they were the new beloved version of Bethesda. But If they go down the always ON LINE route I worry they will do the same thing the disheartening version of Bethesda (as a company) did.

Last edited:
As a mod creator for over 20 years I had thought at one time making all these games on line only would be a great new frontier. I was wrong. ON LINE often means no legal mods or at least very limited legal mods. This is what happen to Fallout. You cannot have game code edit mods AND locked down code for no cheating at the same time.

Code level mods are mods that edit the game code to make things like game mechanic mods such as making AI better or adding cut contend such as the Train system .

So despite all Bethesda's promising Fallout 76 still has no legal code level mods. And the likely fear is that if they make all the rest of their games on line only then even their future "Single player" games would be hog tied as well.

I stopped playing Bethesda games and came to CD Project RED thinking they were the new beloved version of Bethesda. But If they go down the always ON LINE route I worry they will do the same thing the disheartening version of Bethesda (as a company) did.

A bit premature to be afraid about Bethesda's games and mods. As far as we know TES6 is very much a single player game. I'm still very curious as to how much of the old Bethesda remains after Microsoft has acquired them.

As for CDPR and CP, I don't think they want to go the online only route. If anything CP2077 is proof that even with a crap launch like CP's a single player game can still be very lucrative.

I don't think it needs it and I never play MP, but, it's their game so there's not a lot anyone can do about it.

Just as long as it doesn't get in the way of single player I couldn't care less. Having said that the only thing is the time and resources needed for MP could be better spent on a better SP game. Hopefully it's the last thing they add.

A bit premature to be afraid about Bethesda's games and mods. As far as we know TES6 is very much a single player game. I'm still very curious as to how much of the old Bethesda remains after Microsoft has acquired them.

As for CDPR and CP, I don't think they want to go the online only route. If anything CP2077 is proof that even with a crap launch like CP's a single player game can still be very lucrative.

Single player, always online and MP are not the same thing but they can be in the same game. These days one often leads to the other.

I did not say Bethesda future games would not be single player, I said they COULD be on line only! Meaning you have to be on line to play the game. Todd Howard was asked about this and he said "maybe"...

They ALREADY did this with Fallout 4. You cannot play the game for long off line until you have to update it on line so they can upload their newest micro transactions to your SINGLE PLAYER game!

MP is just the bed partner of always on line single player games. Which is why I am not encouraged by the MP of this (cyberpunk) game.

Last edited:
No, you're not the only one. Ever since the announcement I had a palpable sense of dread that CDPR might lose their way with the multiplayer portion of Cyberpunk.

Turns out I was wrong, they lost it way before that, but still. There are some points at which things can't improve, but there is no point at which things can't get worse.

Single player, always online and MP are not the same thing but they can be in the same game. These days one often leads to the other.

I didn't say you said this, only that being afraid of it at this point is premature. They haven't given us any reason to think that's the way they're heading.

They ALREADY did this with Fallout 4. You cannot play the game for long off line until you have to update it on line so they can upload their newest micro transactions to your SINGLE PLAYER game!

I'm genuinely confused here. Fallout 4 runs perfectly fine in offline mode. In fact, I played it often while on business trips with no access to internet for extended periods of time. It worked just fine. Sure, you need to go online if you want to update but the game runs fine with no internet connection.

Where do you get this information?

Not alone at all. I will not be playing any CP77 multiplayer.
If singleplayer stays like it is and only gets bugfixes I won't even bother with that anymore.

I didn't say you said this, only that being afraid of it at this point is premature. They haven't given us any reason to think that's the way they're heading.

We will have to agree to disagree on this one. They have given (in my opinion) plenty of indications to predict what they will do. I predicted no Bethesda supported mods years ago for 76. Some people said the same thing back then, that I was being impetuously worried. And maybe I was by definition but as time has proven I was also right.

I'm genuinely confused here. Fallout 4 runs perfectly fine in offline mode. In fact, I played it often while on business trips with no access to internet for extended periods of time. It worked just fine. Sure, you need to go online if you want to update but the game runs fine with no internet connection.

Where do you get this information?

Sorry I guess I should have said I was on steam. That (occasional forced go on line updates to actually start playing the game) is indeed how it works on steam.

see here: https://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/1/312265672108831657/

So this is not the case for other launcher/providers? If so I guess it is a steam issue then. But I believe this is also true for the Bethesda launcher, or I could be wrong on that one I have not used the Bethesda launcher in over a year.

Last edited:
Probably for the first time in my 20 years of gaming I do not want multiplayer. I played GTA V... [...]

Get the game playable for 90% of the people.
Release DLC
Fix DLC

That is 2021...work on multiplayer in 2022 when another game gets the title of worst launch seems to be an annual thing now.

I just really hope CDPR comes to public soon and release what some are calling a roadmap. Let the devs rest and take their well deserved break, but as soon as everyone's back at work go to public with some form of chart, or video or whatever, laying out their plans for 2021 and commit to it. It could be something like the first quarter focused on fixing bugs, the second quarter focused on feature addition/revamping, third quarter be feedback gathering and more bug fixing from the new additions, and last quarter be whatever they want.
It's just an idea, I'm sure this sort of thing takes longer than 4 months, but it's a start that I believe would help calm down some costumers, make others look forward to what's to come.

Only downfall to multiplayer is like all multiplayer gun games, People start aimbotting...

Just fucks the whole game up.

Imagine cyberfucking another player though... The sky is the limit.

I really want to believe, that MP will be axed, and the resources used to fix, improve and build upon the main game. Humanity does not need any more multiplayer games.

I just really hope CDPR comes to public soon and release what some are calling a roadmap. Let the devs rest and take their well deserved break, but as soon as everyone's back at work go to public with some form of chart, or video or whatever, laying out their plans for 2021 and commit to it. It could be something like the first quarter focused on fixing bugs, the second quarter focused on feature addition/revamping, third quarter be feedback gathering and more bug fixing from the new additions, and last quarter be whatever they want.
It's just an idea, I'm sure this sort of thing takes longer than 4 months, but it's a start that I believe would help calm down some costumers, make others look forward to what's to come.

They need to split the dev team into multiple parts:

Team A focuses on hashing out technical, engine related issues that hinder the promised playability on last gen hardware.

Team B focuses on sensibly adding in the advertised features (as many as feasibly possible at least), and hammering out existing content issues like quest bugs and the like.

Team C focuses on expanding/improving play-content to bring it more into line with what was advertised early on with consideration for the existing story as released (which seems a far cry from what most people expected). And with that much complete, use the first DLC (free as to satisfy the disappointed masses) to bring the game more into line with the original vision for the game.

Structured in this manner, could lead to turning this mess around, and even bringing back many of the dissatisfied folks who received refunds for the game, ultimately recovering the lost sales revenue. And it would most certainly smooth things over with Sony, who would likely re-add it to their store almost immediately.

There's no need to start over from scratch. Just a commitment to fix what needs to be fixed, and a solid plan to mold what did release into what everyone who was hyped for the game hoped to receive before it was all entirely rearranged for the Johnny Silverhand character. Put that bit in the rearview, and move forward with giving the vast fanbase what they were expecting to find when they pulled out their wallets.

But seriously. To just turn away from it entirely for the sake of a multiplayer version that more closely resembles what everyone who bought the single player game was expecting to find, would be literal suicide not only for this game, but for CDPR as a whole. Who's going to trust a company that lied so extensively about what they were selling, and then just abandoned what they did deliver to move on and try to make more with a multiplayer version of what that game was always meant to be?

Nope. The reputational mending needs to come first. And that's only going to come from fixing and delivering what players believed they were buying. Or at least as much as feasibly possible.

If you want to do what GTA is doing and copy their online model you've got to so what they do and do it better.

So.... you can judge for yourselves that situation.

If coop sure. PvP usually turns a game into a shit show. Example: GTA online. You can barely walk a few feet before getting shot down by an opressor.
gotta say.. I do have a feeling that it's gonna be like a combination of GTA V and Fallout 76 messiness.
it's not just it's full of modders, and also bugs... not really looking forward to it.

if it fail, it's gonna fail hard, if it's a success, we probably won't hear another single player game from CDPR for awhile.
*cough GTA6*

I bought this for a singleplayer experience and got a game that was stripped down from something greater. If CDPR builds this game back up like No Man's Sky, they will win me back, but if they stop developing the singleplayer in favor of multiplayer, I'm done with them.

Top Bottom