Do you think the MP will turn into a cash cow for CDPR?

+

Are you interested in CP77 Online?

• Yes

Votes: 26 25.2%
  • I'll check it out, doubt I will spend too much time with it

Votes: 17 16.5%
  • No

Votes: 60 58.3%

• Total voters
We all know how well GTA 5 Online has been doing (or done) do you think Cyberpunk 2077 will have the same kind of success or even a fraction of that? Personally no, with the amount of disappointment generated from the fans and all the negative press its gotten, I doubt people are keen to jump into this, could be wrong. But what do you guys think? Are you going to dwelve heavily into CP online?

Hope they return a 10/10 Cyberpunk 2077 to us first before even trying to release MP or DLC or expansion.

At least when Angry Joe or SkillUp give it a 10/10

At this point if they release a MP with the game at this state the companies will probably close.

My guess is that maybe the MP get scrap. Or DLC get scrap to make the MP happen. They are on deep waters right now.

That depends entirely on how they handle fixing/updating/improving the game over the next few months. If March rolls around and they haven't even updated the wanted system I'll say no.

If it does and / or it becomes their focus.

The last of the single player focus developers has truly died.

Was inevitable when they went public.

Damn greedy fools.

If it does and / or it becomes their focus.

The last of the single player focus developers has truly died.

Was inevitable when they went public.

Damn greedy fools.

hahaha GoW devs will want to speak with you, they literally said they dev game focus on single player and dont intent to bring MP into it.

Just look at the overly exaggerated damage and meaningless perks (basically remove the features of all FPS games have then add it back as perks), I don't think they can make a really balanced and enjoyable MP.

Just look at the overly exaggerated damage and meaningless perks (basically remove the features of all FPS games have then add it back as perks), I don't think they can make a really balanced and enjoyable MP.

i was thinking the other day about balance, i mean Smart weapons are OP as F...ck if u think on a MP perspective.

At this point if they release a MP with the game at this state the companies will probably close.

My guess is that maybe the MP get scrap. Or DLC get scrap to make the MP happen. They are on deep waters right now.

You'd probably be surprised what they *should be* able to do with $500+ million in profit.

13 million sales after refunds, times $60, and then multiplied by 0.7 (the bare minimum they make per copy, not even accounting for GOG sales at 100% profit or Epic Game Store sales at 88% profit), gives you a conservative $546,000,000 USD. Since they did sell many copies on both GOG and Epic, they made a lot more than that.

Their lawsuit defenses will cost a pittance in comparison. They're not in deep waters. They're not even wading in the shallow end. They are dipping their toes in the water while sipping cocktails.

You'd probably be surprised what they *should be* able to do with $500+ million in profit.

13 million sales after refunds, times $60, and then multiplied by 0.7 (the bare minimum they make per copy, not even accounting for GOG sales at 100% profit or Epic Game Store sales at 88% profit), gives you a conservative $546,000,000 USD. Since they did sell many copies on both GOG and Epic, they made a lot more than that.

Their lawsuit defenses will cost a pittance in comparison. They're not in deep waters. They're not even wading in the shallow end. They are dipping their toes in the water while sipping cocktails.

You're not taking into account the production costs.

The game ended up costing around 320 million. So it's actually closer to 226 million in profits. Then they actually have to give the bonuses they promised to their dev teams. Then they will give a decent dividend to shareholders to smooth things over.

Bottom line, they wouldn't have anything near 546 mil.

Granted, the 13 million copies were as of 10 days after release. Since then the game has been the global top seller on Steam(and one can assume on GoG) until today where it fell to the second spot. That's through a winter sale too. You can safely assume they've sold a lot more since then.

Anyway, probably nothing over 250 mil in profits that they can just inject into another project. Definitely nothing to scoff at but not anywhere near half a billion.

As for the OP, I highly doubt MP would turn into a cash cow unless they devote time and effort to fixing the single player and getting it to where it should be. I know I won't invest a cent in it if they don't fix it.

Now if they fix the single player and get it as close to what was advertised as possible, hell yes, it could. The world they created has everything to make multiplayer a blast if it's done right. If they aren't willing to fix SP though, I don't trust them to deliver on MP.

Last edited:
I think its a terrible idea to make this MP. and if they do, its MP will be about as fleshed out as CP2077's RPG elements

I honestly can't see how this game would work in multiplayer other than being COOP. the entire games systems are terribly designed for multiple players at once.

I'm starting to doubt CDPR will keep its soul. CP2077 is my first CDPR game but I only heard gushing reviews from TW3.
It happened to Blizzard and most of EA studios, we might be seeing CDPR's turn.

My wishful thinking would be MP becomes a thing giving CP2077 years to develop the features that SP CP2077 is missing. But I doubt it would happen. Let's hope I'm wrong.

We all know how well GTA 5 Online has been doing (or done) do you think Cyberpunk 2077 will have the same kind of success or even a fraction of that? Personally no, with the amount of disappointment generated from the fans and all the negative press its gotten, I doubt people are keen to jump into this, could be wrong. But what do you guys think? Are you going to dwelve heavily into CP online?
I honestly don't know. And have nothing to do with the condition of the single player CP as it might be a completely different game simply taking place in Night city. For all I know, it might as well be a gang war type of game as much as it is a coop RPG (adventure game).

I haven't tried GTA online so have no clue what that is about.. and in general im not interested in a MP CP almost regardless of what type it is going to be. Which is mostly because I like playing games like this, such as Mass effect, Skyrim etc. as my personal experience, I don't want someone else running around, not interested in the story or wanting to do certain things that I don't want to, and I don't play them for the action part of running around shooting everything etc. Its fun, but if that was the only thing, I wouldn't care about it at all. The RP part and decision making is what I think it is the fun part and CP in the first playthrough held that illusion very well. But for CP to keep me interested in it or wanting to really play it again, something would have to be fixed.

1. Choices matters, to such degree that two playthroughs will feel significant different.
2. RPG elements are fleshed out severely.
3. Modding becomes possible.
4. They add enough content so you can play this as a life simulator and basically play it and have fun, without ever going need the main quest. Meaning, you can run your own fixer club, dance club, taxi service, BD studio maybe create your own gang and what other things one can think of, like buying houses etc. Basically stuff that that would let you live the dream of Night city. (Might be completely linked to option 3.)

But as it is now, there is nothing besides going through the different endings that are really interesting. But again, know way to little about the MP and should they decide to drop it and just focus on the SP, I would be perfectly fine with that.

The amount of lies and deceit so far from a company that got big by caring for its playerbase and single player experience is not only shocking it is literally against everything this company once stood for.

I remember entire rants about DRM free games in interviews because someone told them that DRM would save their game from piracy to which they replied that this assumption is not only a lie because ppl who can't afford said games would pirate it anyway but it also costs alot of money and upsets the players who paid for said game only to find out that the DRM won't let them play it or even destroy their harddrives in the process. They also gave multiple examples on how and when this happend in the past.

Now we got false advertisment, lies about RPG Elements, Telling us we had the wrong expectations, using celeb to hype the game even more, refusing to give review copies out before release etc.

If they start the MP without fixing the singleplayer first (and i don't mean simple bugfixes) and adding at least some of the cut content than i have to agree with the arguments of some that we will see another great studio giving in to greed instead of making good games.

I game for over 30 years. The amount of good companies i saw raise and fall the exact same way would make some of you younger folks drop your jaw because you would assume if 2 or 3 make the same mistake someone would learn from that? You tell me i witness this for decades now with no explanation.

However i do also have to agree with the opposite direction. From a financial point of view. This was a big Hit. Lawsuits or no Lawsuits. They still got enough money from this release. And even if the game goes down in history as a buggy mess that wanted to much and failed. They can take the pieces. Learn from it and focus on the next project. But if you think for a moment this will end CDPR you didn't pay attention. They literally can swim in money by now.

I'd rather they just panned the whole multiplayer plan. At least until after a DLC or two.

The game has too many issues right now that are going to take a good many months to hammer out. Debug the game, make it playable on the promised platforms, and then decide what direction to go in from there.

Granted, the 13 million copies were as of 10 days after release. Since then the game has been the global top seller on Steam(and one can assume on GoG) until today where it fell to the second spot. That's through a winter sale too. You can safely assume they've sold a lot more since then.

Anyway, probably nothing over 250 mil in profits that they can just inject into another project. Definitely nothing to scoff at but not anywhere near half a billion.
But if/when they get it back on PS store and if they decide to fix it, add content etc. they can still make a shit load of money on it, even with such a rough start as this. The Witcher 3 still sell rather well such a long time after and even today, it's a far better game than most of what is released. Quality, in my opinion, is definitely the way to go, if you look at games like the new Avenger game or Anthem these games were pretty much dead on arrival, CP is buggy as hell, not especially fleshed out. But still I was entertained for at least 123 out of my 125 hour playthrough, not a lot of games manage to do that.

It just could have been so much more, and if CDPR gets it to that state, not only will CP keep selling, but they will also have a very strong foundation to release expansions, DLCs, maybe even a multiplayer version.

I think most people that have been able to play it, have been entertained by CP or at least see the potential of what it could be, right under the surface, and sure, maybe CDPR have to make some serious changes, but if they did, it could be a massive success in the long run.

The question is, if they are willing to do so?

Yes. If anything the launch has made it even more imperative that they have a steady revenue stream from an online service. Last year, Take-two reported that the majority of their $300M profit was from online spending in GTA 5 and Red Dead Online.

Speaking from a financial perspective, I am 100% sure they are going all in on the MP to salvage this situation financially, rather than spend too much time on "fixing" the singleplayer. This is my theory alone, but I do have a little development experience, and it seems to me that fixing the singleplayer in its current state is like fixing a broken codebase. I don't see them really going crazy to try and fix it from the ground up, honestly, when they can just do all that in the multiplayer.

Realistically, it's going to come down to
  1. Giving up on the MP for now and really fixing the singleplayer, or:
  2. Give up on the SP and just put all the cut content and improvements in a fresh start (code-wise, as it's separate from the mess I imagine is the SP) that is the MP
Note that the financial incentive for 1) is negative X dollars (whatever amount they pay the devs), while 2) is at least tens of millions of dollars. It is pretty clear what they will do, in my view, but only time will tell.

Last edited:
Maybe, maybe not, but I'm not sure I want it to. GTA V probably lost single player expansions because the multiplayer became so lucrative, and as someone who plays very little multiplayer I'm a little sore about that.

Besides, I think they need to work on improving the core game before they even think about releasing multiplayer. Extensive bug fixing, adding more depth to the game world, improving game balance, etc, could potentially benefit MP too.

Top Bottom