Do you think they shadowdrop the expansion(s) like the patches?

+
It seems to be a trend with the patches. While we knew 1.5 was coming we knew nothing about it. It feels kinda the same way with the expansion. It really wouldn't surprise me that they release a tweet saying, "the first expansion releases today."

It seems to be a trend with the patches. While we knew 1.5 was coming we knew nothing about it. It feels kinda the same way with the expansion. It really wouldn't surprise me that they release a tweet saying, "the first expansion releases today."
They'll never spill in advance. Learned that lesson the hard way in the past. They're not even going to hold themselves to a certain interval between patches.

Honestly, I think that CDPR will announce the expansion a little bit before release (like a week, no need more) just to not drop it like an update or a the DLCs...
It's a paid content, so maybe with a trailer or at least, something better than a tweet :)
(Anyway, I'll buy it for sure, even if it's only announced the day of the release by a simple tweet and posts on the website/forum. So I don't care^^)

I second @LeKill3rFou's statement and I also assume that announcement and release will be very close together, but they will not shadowdrop it. So, maybe it will be possible to pre-order the expansion a few days before the official release but nothing major.
I think something like this would be more tactful for them to do so, considering the steam Elden Ring has and the likely hood of FromSoft dropping internal path-tracing(not sure how well that's gonna play out) and an expansion this year, rather than announcing months ahead of time only for any thunder to be stolen suddenly. Just speculation though. Perhaps they'll go through with announcing it in advance and see how it lands.

I think something like this would be more tactful for them to do so, considering the steam Elden Ring has and the likely hood of FromSoft dropping internal path-tracing(not sure how well that's gonna play out) and an expansion this year, rather than announcing months ahead of time only for any thunder to be stolen suddenly. Just speculation though. Perhaps they'll go through with announcing it in advance and see how it lands.
Honestly Elden Ring does not appear such a fierce competition as people made it out to be when discussing the (back then potential) release date of 1.5. This does by no means mean the game is bad or something like that, but rather that there was no significant drop in Cyberpunk 2077 players after the release.

1649930574491.png

Sure there was a drop after the release of 1.5 but single player games always experience drops like this, so it does not seem like Elden Ring made a noticeable difference.

But sure, in terms of marketing you would like to create a maximum impact scenario. Thus, they might also consider the thing you have stated.

Personally, but I might create a rampant speculations thread for this, I assume the expansion will either be released in May or September/October. With that being said, I consider the latter much more likely than the former.

Honestly Elden Ring does not appear such a fierce competition as people made it out to be when discussing the (back then potential) release date of 1.5. This does by no means mean the game is bad or something like that, but rather that there was no significant drop in Cyberpunk 2077 players after the release.

View attachment 11300482
Sure there was a drop after the release of 1.5 but single player games always experience drops like this, so it does not seem like Elden Ring made a noticeable difference.

But sure, in terms of marketing you would like to create a maximum impact scenario. Thus, they might also consider the thing you have stated.

Personally, but I might create a rampant speculations thread for this, I assume the expansion will either be released in May or September/October. With that being said, I consider the latter much more likely than the former.
I hope I don't sound too harsh, but allow me to be frank, please.

I'm not saying Elden Ring is what lead to the dive in players after 1.5. This is practically moot. We could compare post-launch retention to more aptly stack these two side by side, but that's really not here nor there. If anything, barely anyone who bought the game even noticed the game was updated. 13.7 millions unit solid Dec 2020, 56% on PC, most certainly a majority(if slight) on Steam, concurrent player count post 1.5 did not exceed 60k. Some of those who did play created fresh memes following release about how stupid the police still are... We're talking about the core player base at this point, people who are invested one way or another, maybe some other just curious to drop in and see if the game feels better. Mostly it's modders(like myself), CDPR super fans, suckers for the genre(also me), people who appreciate the game regardless of it's state, people who are hoping the get the game they were sold or think they were sold, etc.

It's in a much better, more welcoming state right now. No doubt about it, but it's still got some problems. Some of these impede the ability to mod the game even. Example: It's weather system still has some issues to this day - meaning you have to jump through hoops to get things to work in a mod that changes weather states, and even then it doesn't always do so. There are regions of the game world where weather edits simply don't work. That's a systemic problem, it's not a bug. Something's wrong.

My proposition is about competing content with a likely comparable price point. That's key. I think the expansion could do... okay. It could potentially do really well given just how many people bought 2077. However; Usually the initial engagement rate for these items is 25% of the mainline title buyer's, it can go higher with time, word of mouth, and discounts/bundles, but that has a narrow window of interest for success regardless - we are well beyond that window. Going up against another expansion to a game with a stellar reputation and expanded honeymoon period? Don't even bother.

Trust me, I'm not showering Elden Ring with praise; It's got problems. I could critique if you like. I'm simply being honest about the picture.

Lets not forget the recent 50% off sales too.. Im sure it inflated the numbers a bit since ive noticed an influx of new players comming here and posting. Seems alot of people waited after the launch too get cp2077

So, according to the earnings call the expansion is due in 2023 and 1.6 will come in the next months. Also, there are still quite a lot of people working on Cyberpunk 2077:

fy-2021-presentation (dragged).png

Last edited:
If anything, barely anyone who bought the game even noticed the game was updated. 13.7 millions unit solid Dec 2020, 56% on PC, most certainly a majority(if slight) on Steam, concurrent player count post 1.5 did not exceed 60k.
I think that is pretty normal for single player games, why would people come back for a simple patch? I mean, I'm a real fan of the game but if I would have been done before the release of 1.5 I would not have returned for it. The only thing I would return for is an expansion (or a possible later playthrough).

Also, out of curiosity I did a comparison between Cyberpunk 2077 and Witcher 3 in my rampant speculation thread and the number look similar.

t's in a much better, more welcoming state right now. No doubt about it, but it's still got some problems.
This certainly holds true and they are still trying to improve the game. That being said, I doubt the will be able to fix all the issues.

Going up against another expansion to a game with a stellar reputation and expanded honeymoon period? Don't even bother.
I still don't really think that the Cyberpunk 2077 expansion would be directly competing against Elden Ring. I think both games can coesist at the same time.

Are we just assuming it's going to be 1.6, because as we've seen they can skip over numbers.
CDPR called it 1.6 in the earnings call.

I think that is pretty normal for single player games, why would people come back for a simple patch? I mean, I'm a real fan of the game but if I would have been done before the release of 1.5 I would not have returned for it. The only thing I would return for is an expansion (or a possible later playthrough).

Also, out of curiosity I did a comparison between Cyberpunk 2077 and Witcher 3 in my rampant speculation thread and the number look similar.

This certainly holds true and they are still trying to improve the game. That being said, I doubt the will be able to fix all the issues.

I still don't really think that the Cyberpunk 2077 expansion would be directly competing against Elden Ring. I think both games can coesist at the same time.

CDPR called it 1.6 in the earnings call.

Oh didn't know that. Well, I think it's safe to say they won't shadowdrop it. I think will at least get a trailer this year; either maybe Game Awards or or Geoff Keighley's E3. If that's what later in the year means.

Oh didn't know that. Well, I think it's safe to say they won't shadowdrop it. I think will at least get a trailer this year; either maybe Game Awards or or Geoff Keighley's E3. If that's what later in the year means.
No E3 this year i think. Dident they close down? Expansion is coming 2023 confirmed today but they said something about more info later this year.

No E3 this year i think. Dident they close down? Expansion is coming 2023 confirmed today but they said something about more info later this year.

Yes, no E3 techincally but Geoff Keighley is doing something in it's place this year, that might as well be E3.

Yes, no E3 techincally but Geoff Keighley is doing something in it's place this year, that might as well be E3.
Call it E4. Geoff struts on stage in a sequin tuxedo and announces the Electronic Entertainment Expo Extravaganza as confetti cutouts of his face and Hideo Kojima's bathe the crowd while Martin O'Donnell conducts a full orchestra playing Benny Hill featuring Mick Gordon.
I think that is pretty normal for single player games, why would people come back for a simple patch?
Because they were anticipating NGE and overall experience improvements. There are people on these forums who were waiting on this just to play the game for the first time.
I mean, I'm a real fan of the game but if I would have been done before the release of 1.5 I would not have returned for it. The only thing I would return for is an expansion (or a possible later playthrough).
Some people, such as I, have been testing tentative mods in anticipation of the expansion and/or 1.6 Neither seems to be close on the horizon. As sad as it is, I'm grateful they beared the bad news finally. I can move on.
I understand, please keep in mind my statement on deep sales in year one along with the initial sales volume. Unless I'm mistaken, TW3 had 7 million it's first year and this was at a relatively steady clip - keeping the price at the high end. Cyberpunk did massive numbers at launch, tanked, then stuttered through repeat slasher prices standing at 4.3 million total sales in 2021. More people at launch bought Cyberpunk and fewer bought in later. TW3 had fewer at launch and more bought in over that initial year and continually over time. Even with the box price of 5 bucks at best buy for last gen, meaning you could throw it in your PS5 or XSX and get the NGE version for a steal; the public was not enticed. It's not positively comparable to TW3 at all.
I get what you're saying. Sure, they could... maybe. That's not how this often works. Other titles moved their release window as 2077's launch date shifted. '800 lbs' gorillas have made that happen for decades in the industry, so I'm just looking it at from a market capitalization viewpoint. The last thing you want to do is dump a lot of money into a project only to be eclipsed and forgotten.

Top Bottom