Do you think Witcher 3 can win Game of The Year 2015 award?

+
Yes It should, but we need more patches. Number of quest related bugs and glitches is huge. On top of that there are performance issues with freezes and crashes.
Just check the technical forums how many ppl report quest related bug. Alot of quest (side quests) cannot be completed if we do something not in order devs planned.

2015 is a year of big hits and there are plenty of games that will have a shot at this. Witcher 3 is obviously one of the main contenders but dont forget about Uncharted 4, MGS5, Rise of Tomb Raider, Star Wars: Battlefront, Star Citizen: Squadron 42 among others. Even "small" games like Ori and The Blind Forest can give it a beating since Ori is a perfect masterpiece and Witcher 3 is far from perfect.

I personally think Uncharted 4 will win.

It is a serious candidate to win the GOTY award, but this year, it have a lot a competition...
Bloodborne, Batman, MGS...
Bloodborne is a great game. It isn't just for those who weren't able to play it because they don't have a PS4, or because they can't beat it.
Batman, if we knoe it's past games, we have here a serious candidate.
MGS same as batman.

So, my final veredict... Yes, it could win, but it isn't going to be easy.

It's May, can we get the year out of the way before we start deciding what the best 'future' game will be?

Sheesh, someone hand me a crystal ball.

LOL! and here i though that i've made a simple, easy and polite question to start a good conversation...
Fine, be on your way then, there's no points in trying to have a good talk with who is only able to answer with sarcasm :)

Oh, and by the way, the "wait for the year to finish" thing that you spoke about, automatically exclude even your idea that TW3 is not "GOTY material"...unless you have some sort of "crystal ball" on you hand

well considering how bad DAI was and still won GOTY last year, I've lost faith in the GOTY label.

Pros (50 hours in Witcher 3 so far on a high end computer)
- no bug / no crash
- game is stable
- the playground is enormous
- story telling is top notch
- characters have depth (you can love them or hate them, but either way they are well written)
- graphics are as good as can be expected considering the scale of the game and actual hardware.
- PC patches are correcting issues (couldn't use hairworks before patch 1.04, now I can and it's pretty smooth)
- 16 free dlc's

Cons:
- bad UI
- gameplay is limited due to bad UI (sign choosing, potion binds)
- not much variety in npcs faces (are all the merchants clones?)

Bloodborne is a great game. It isn't just for those who weren't able to play it because they don't have a PS4, or because they can't beat it.

I personally played BB and finished it and still i find it far away for a great game (always personal opinion, no offense or troll intended)

Definitely a GOTY for me. There was no cRPG with that deep story since Planescape: Torment. Visuals are amazing even on my poor notebook (i actually play on a hooked up video projector - even on mid settings it looks amazing on my wall). The world is beautifully designed and well crafted, feels very alive, and has this certain unique Slavic vibe (especially Velen area) that you won't experience in other games.

Can't see any possible contenders, especially as I am not a great fan of Batman franchise. But as I nearly never agree with GOTY choices, I am a bit afraid about this ;)

BTW, played for 50 hours, had a single crash (I think my GPUs overheated, had to overclock them a bit). 2 bugs encountered, none of which was game breaking (turning game off and on or saving/reloading solved both of them).

Last edited:
MGS V and Batman are more mainstream and have a more established brand so they will most likely win, I think they will be more polished from technical standpoint which will also add to their advantage, Witcher is probably the best game I have played my entire life but it has its share of bugs and annoyances (blood/framerate :( ).

I would have said yes, but it's a total mess right now. Bugs everywhere, patches that ruin performance, crashes (by both the game and due to Nvidia).

If it wasn't a steaming pile of turd in terms of performance, sure, but not as it stands. Even console players are getting a good number of issues. CDPR dropped the ball.

LOL! and here i though that i've made a simple, easy and polite question to start a good conversation...
Fine, be on your way then, there's no points in trying to have a good talk with who is only able to answer with sarcasm :)

Oh, and by the way, the "wait for the year to finish" thing that you spoke about, automatically exclude even your idea that TW3 is not "GOTY material"...unless you have some sort of "crystal ball" on you hand

How is it 'not' goty material? That question is arse about face. You should not be looking for reasons against, you should be looking for reasons for. Darn world today and this 'you owe me' mentality is where this being rewarded for being nothing special instead of being rewarded for going that extra mile.

Ok, a couple things that are wrong with the game... underwtaer movement is awful, food stuffs cannot be cooked (this is an RPG, note the 'role' part of that), drinks that stack in such a crazy way that I currently have nine stacks of 9 Kaedweni Stout, ten stacks of 5 Viziman Champiuon, 5 stacks of 10 Redanian Lager, seven stacks of 8 Rivian Kriek....

Don't get me wrong, I like the game and am enjoying it, but it should not be rewarded when it is so lacking and they have put effort into making a tree branch sway because that's oh so much more important :/

It might win Game of the Year if it's a slow year for gaming (and we have plenty of those nowadays) but I don't think it really deserves it. It's a good game and all but the controls and movement are so lazily done, so badly done, so horrible and imprecise that they make the game very difficult to play. There was a similar game to this that came out maybe 15 years ago; Severance: Blade of Darkness it was called. You had to lock on to enemies to fight them properly and everything just like in Witcher 3, yet it was so much easier in that game. It was implemented in a way that was so much better than in this game.

I personally find it unacceptable that games 15 years ago had better, smoother, more fluid controls than a big budget release like this. It's just lazy and it hurts the game.

How is it 'not' goty material? That question is arse about face. You should not be looking for reasons against, you should be looking for reasons for. Darn world today and this 'you owe me' mentality is where this being rewarded for being nothing special instead of being rewarded for going that extra mile.

Ok, a couple things that are wrong with the game... underwtaer movement is awful, food stuffs cannot be cooked (this is an RPG, note the 'role' part of that), drinks that stack in such a crazy way that I currently have nine stacks of 9 Kaedweni Stout, ten stacks of 5 Viziman Champiuon, 5 stacks of 10 Redanian Lager, seven stacks of 8 Rivian Kriek....

Don't get me wrong, I like the game and am enjoying it, but it should not be rewarded when it is so lacking and they have put effort into making a tree branch sway because that's oh so much more important :/

while i do respect your opinion, but isnt that nitpicking?

Sryrim was worse , riddled with bugs and horrible combat and storyline(again , it is my personal opinion . Never ben able to break into fallout/TES series.Always loved a good story ad combat over anything else)

However i do agree that comparing with games which arenot even released yet is nuts. More than arkham knight , MGS V is closer to Witcher 3 with kojima at its helm
time will tell

PS- i feel that GOTY went to DA I by default last year.Its competitors were severely lacking( indies however were really good last year , but the scope of the games wasnot that hig of a multimillion dolar AAA title)

while i do respect your opinion, but isnt that nitpicking?

Sryrim was worse , riddled with bugs and horrible combat and storyline(again , it is my personal opinion . Never ben able to break into fallout/TES series.Always loved a good story ad combat over anything else)

However i do agree that comparing with games which arenot even released yet is nuts. More than arkham knight , MGS V is closer to Witcher 3 with kojima at its helm
time will tell

PS- i feel that GOTY went to DA I by default last year.Its competitors were severely lacking( indies however were really good last year , but the scope of the games wasnot that hig of a multimillion dolar AAA title)

Oh gawd! Bugbear of my life. I loathed Skyrim with a passion.

Damn game killed TES for me. And I loved Morrowind and Oblivion before it, and I won't mention preordering Skyrim and playing it as soon as I could.

Damn game should never have been released in that state. It was rushed for the damn date thing... all the 1's. That's an extrememly sucky reason for such a mistake of a game.

drinks that stack in such a crazy way that I currently have nine stacks of 9 Kaedweni Stout, ten stacks of 5 Viziman Champiuon, 5 stacks of 10 Redanian Lager, seven stacks of 8 Rivian Kriek....

I have to disagree with you on this point, starting with the fact that, for me, is something completely irrelevant (in terms of "judge parameter" I mean) and second, because if you really wish to follow the Role word inside "RPG" then you shouldn't be able to even grab 2 bottles of something, neither you should be able to carry 10 steaks of beef and neither you should be able to grab ANY loot at all (no more than 1 armor, no more that 2 swords etc etc etc), because let's face it, a normal human being (even if is a witcher) can't carry things like that, he doesn't have enough arms or space to keep all those things on his shoulders.

About the fact of "cooking food", like before i personally couldn't care less...not because i found it irrelevant but because this game is not an old-style full RPG , but it was always stated as an Action-RPG, there's a bit of difference.
Developers could take a bit of freedom on such things (like the food not cooked etc etc).

I individually found the underwater controls quite fine (i'm a PC player, i don't know about you) so i've nothing to say about that.

This game is not Dark Souls, or BloodBorne, or Minecraft or any kind of "survival" RPG and it never meant to be something similar so you have to judge the game between the limits of his nature and not for what you wish this game could have been.

This is not intended to be a flame, or and offense of any sort.
I'm just expressing my personal opinion about it

Not in it's current state, there are too many flaws, the controls and wonky combat being two, don't get me wrong, I love the game, but GOTY material? I can't see it.

Game awards are usually "Which crappy game isn't as crappy", so who knows? The game has a lot of shortcomings but if competition isn't so hot for the rest of the year it could take it.

I have to disagree with you on this point, starting with the fact that, for me, is something completely irrelevant (in terms of "judge parameter" I mean) and second, because if you really wish to follow the Role word inside "RPG" then you shouldn't be able to even grab 2 bottles of something, neither you should be able to carry 10 steaks of beef and neither you should be able to grab ANY loot at all (no more than 1 armor, no more that 2 swords etc etc etc), because let's face it, a normal human being (even if is a witcher) can't carry things like that, he doesn't have enough arms or space to keep all those things on his shoulders.

About the fact of "cooking food", like before i personally couldn't care less...not because i found it irrelevant but because this game is not an old-style full RPG , but it was always stated as an Action-RPG, there's a bit of difference.
Developers could take a bit of freedom on such things (like the food not cooked etc etc).

I individually found the underwater controls quite fine (i'm a PC player, i don't know about you) so i've nothing to say about that.

This game is not Dark Souls, or BloodBorne, or Minecraft or any kind of "survival" RPG and it never meant to be something similar so you have to judge the game between the limits of his nature and not for what you wish this game could have been.

This is not intended to be a flame, or and offense of any sort.
I'm just expressing my personal opinion about it

I hold fairly strong views myself so am completely at ease with you having your views. That's not a question :)

It seems we like two different things. I like the RPG aspect, it's why I play these sorts of games. I love the story and the sarcasm (funny that huh? lol) in the witcher, but they alone are not enough to carry the rest imo.

As for the cooking. We can get raw meat, we can get cooked meat, we can get made sandwiches, we can get bread... but anything that involves the turning of raw into finished product is not happening. Now I can go with no cooking if the two ends of the cooking effect were not present. Say we had the raw product only, then fine. Likewise, if we had the finished product, then fine. But to have both and no way of achieving one into the other? That's not good.

As for the weight issue, which I have seen a lot of confused people over, well, you are not carrying it all, that's why it is done by weight. Your horse is struggling under the load. That's why the saddlebag increase increases the amount you can carry. That fits perfectly to me.

I have to admit to chuckling at minecraft being referred to as survival rpg :D

Last edited:
Which GOTY award you you talking about? There are hundreds of publications that give these things out. I'm sure Witcher, Batman, Metal Gear, and Bloodborne will all pick up their fair share of awards.

Top Bottom