Do you want a Deus Ex remake?

+
Do you want a Deus Ex remake?

Reading through the playing other games thread, pleasantly reminiscing over Deus Ex and was left wondering what my fellow sons and daughters think of a remake of the original Deus Ex. The style and technological level of Human Revolution so obviously trumps the original game, that going back to play it leaves one with a certain feeling of dissonance.

That said i'm afraid that a developer going back to the game would see the need to stamp the usual dumbed down aspects on to it, possibly wrecking the very core of the game. I can certainly see some aspects that need improvement, such as the small half empty cities, the rather linear main mission path and certain parts of the voice acting and dialogue. However there are some points that I wouldn't want the devs to touch, such as the skill system which gave the player a feeling that not everything was dependant on JC's augs, the differing ammo's and the feel of a day after tomorrow world.

I know it's all relative to how Human Revolution performed financially, but if there were another Deus Ex games announced bridging Human Revolution and the original, would your whistle be whetted for a remake, and what features would you want changed or kept?

Aver

Forum veteran
I would rather see something new, but not prequels. For example Deus Ex 2. It weird that nobody made a sequel of such great game.

Original Deus Ex is still awesome even tho it's very old.

I don't feel like the game needs a remake. The gameplay is still quite "modern" and the graphics are not bad especially when modded with New Vision.

Aver said:
I would rather see something new, but not prequels. For example Deus Ex 2. It weird that nobody made a sequel of such great game.

There is one. Its called Deus Ex: Invisible War. It might not be as good as the original, but a sequel nonetheless.

Wouldn't really mind another prequel set after Human Revolution, maybe playing an un-augmented such as Sam Carter for a change of pace.

Aver

Forum veteran
Pham said:
There is one. Its called Deus Ex: Invisible War. It might not be as good as the original, but a sequel nonetheless.

Nope. There is no sequel. Go back to your universe, space traveler.

Pham said:
I don't feel like the game needs a remake. The gameplay is still quite "modern" and the graphics are not bad especially when modded with New Vision.

There's no such game, it was probably a bad dream.

I'd buy a remake as long as the gameplay remained untouched.

luc0s

Forum veteran
Aver said:

Original Deus Ex is still awesome even tho it's very old.

So you're just pretending that Deus Ex 2: Invisible War doesn't exist? Can't say I blame you. :p

Pham said:

The graphics not bad? They're quite horrible in my opinion, no matter the amount of mods. And the voice acting...

Deus Ex is a great game, but a remake with better graphics, better voice-acting and better animations would be very welcome.

Not remake. Just Deus Ex: HR 2.. with better graphics engine only thing it was missing in that game.

No. I´d rather see Human Revolution finished. There were supposed to be 5 hubs in game instead of only 2. If it did have those hubs, story wouldn´t be so rushed towards the last third of the game.

If it was finished, it could have triumph the original. But no such luck.

Luc0s said:
Deus Ex is a great game, but a remake with better graphics, better voice-acting and better animations would be very welcome.

yup, I'd take that any day. Loved that game.

No. No remake. I'm all for sequels and, if they're good, prequels. But remakes are just a lazy way to make money by pandering to an established fan base. The MGS remake sucked dick.

Most importantly, games don't need remakes. What, you want them to recreate a game for increased graphical fidelity? Who cares. The charm, atmosphere and good design of Deus Ex stands on its own. Waste of money in my opinion. It was a product of its time but if you'd recreate it, it'd lose everything that makes it good. This notion that you can just copy paste a games infrastructure, design, music etc and then expect the same game to come out is just silly. What a horrible and mechanic way of viewing this amazing medium...

It'd be a shame (no pun intended) to dismiss the mentality and spirit of Deus Ex just because it doesn't look as pretty as current games do.

FoggyFishburne said:
But remakes are just a lazy way to make money by pandering to an established fan base.

I don't necessarily agree. black mesa is quite cool, and the aleph one marathon stuff was fairly good too. Granted, these are OSS, but I'd gladly pay a few bucks and get it done real well. (I *love* the marathon series, it would be amazing to have anyone pick those up and re-release them professionally on a new engine.)

I'd definitely like to see a sequel to DX:HR, preferably still with Adam. Something that follows directly from the events in The Missing Link.

From a purely personal level then yes, I'd also like the original DX remade, but I don't think that's a realistic request, it's probably not a good use of resources. And if they cut corners, it would be a disaster.

yeah I thought the same. I personally say nay for prequels when it comes to games or anything when asked, but well not all of them suck and DEHR was great despite it's flaws. I'm hoping for the next game irrespective of what they will come up with

Forum veteran
FoggyFishburne said:
The MGS remake sucked dick.
If you're talking about The Twin Snakes, then I love you right now. For everyone else: Twin Snakes is a perfect example of why remakes are bad, bad, bad. Here's the same cutscene in both games:

Original

Twin Snakes version

Notice the difference? It's like they went, "We need to make Snake approximately 200% more badass!" The game isn't supposed to revolve around him being a badass, though; it's supposed to be claustrophobic and feel like the odds are firmly stacked against him, with his character being exceptional but still having very human limitations. No borderline-ninja senses like they added.

Remakes suck. Slightly changed and bettered versions that are released relatively soon after the original game are almost always welcome (like the better camera in Metal Gear 3: Subsistence, and the changes in the EE for TW2), but someone coming along long after the game's virtues and failings have become set in stone over time and changing things will never cease to rub me the wrong way.

FoggyFishburne said:
I'd definitely like to see a sequel to DX:HR, preferably still with Adam. Something that follows directly from the events in The Missing Link.
Doesn't TML take place midway through the core game time-wise? Not sure how they could follow that.

Top Bottom