Does any of you have a clear understanding of the XP problem?

+
Does any of you have a clear understanding of the XP problem?

1)Which platforms and which patch versions do not give XP for lower level quests? All of them? Consoles only? Patch 1.04 on all platforms?

2) I've seen people say they finished GREEN main quests a few levels below their character level and NOT get XP, wtf?

What I personally want to know is the PC part of the story: which PC patch versions give XP for low quests and which don't?

From experience, I got exp from all my quests. I play on console.

But hey, maybe I have a memory problem and never even noticed the lack of exp from the grey quests.

For what I have read it seems some people 1. do not get exp for quests they should be getting exp for (they are not grey quests), 2. Some people do not like that grey quests give no exp, and 3. Some people mix up not getting exp for grey quests as The Bug mentioned in #1.

The gray quest should not give EXP. It keeps us from getting over leveled if we want to do everything. As it is now, I'm still out leveling the main quests because I like doing all the side stuff.

Playing on PS4, but there's a lot of misinformation going around about this

By design: You don't receive experience from quests that are gray in your quest log, ie. 6 or more levels below yours. Sometimes you receive small amounts of exp for completing quest steps or using Axii in conversations, and apparently the official strategy guide says you're supposed to receive less experience for completing gray quests, instead of nothing - but whatever.

The glitch or bug: Receiving no experience from quests that are green or red in your quest log, ie. within the permissible range for exp rewards. Exactly which kind of quest is affected seems random. For me, it's everything: Main quest, side quests, contracts. Some people get exp solely from main quests, while others say they get no exp from main quests but sometimes from secondary.

When does it happen: Nothing has been confirmed. Theories include: Completing certain quests trigger it, completing gray quests trigger it, the most recent patch (PS4 - 1.03, deployed wednesday may 27th) introduced it. I noticed it happening in my game on friday, after I had hit level 25 and completed first batch of Kaer Morhen quests. Started a new game to test last night, and quests in White Orchard awarded no XP (so nothing in particular "triggered" the bug). Currently I'm leaning towards it being introduced with the patch, but completing quests you accepted during the previous patch rewarded exp as intended, while newly accepted quests don't. Hence why reports of the bug only became widespread near the weekend.

A lot of people are frustrated about the design decision to not reward gray quests, but that's not the bug and conflating the two doesn't help.

From day 1, I have constantly monitored my quest log and started from the lowest to highest before it reaches gray...glad it saved me from this bug!

And that's how you get screwed out of plentiful main quest XP - by exploring the world and doing side stuff, thus out-leveling the main quests, which disables their XP.

Which is why they have a level requirement. I do the side quests any under my level but keep an eye on main quest. When it gets close to being too low I do it. Problem solved.

You guys need to read the posts from CDPR lol.
The bug for the main quests is when you're around 6 levels too high or too low where it doesn't show grey (green or red) and you don't get XP.
THAT'S IT, man I have never seen a community cry so much over a none game breaking bug.

They grey quest no XP is by design, because the quest is now too easy to give you XP.

It's been proven and stated 100 times, you can BEAT THE GAME and GET YOU'RE LEVELS even with the bug, it's not game breaking.

Edit: I'm talking in general because all day in the forums and on reddit everyone is crying about it when most people don't even understand the bug or are crying wolf saying (I'm missing XP but I don't know where)

There are a few random bugs where a quest doesn't give XP because how it completes or it doesn't complete, they are based on certain quests and does not break the game because the XP wasn't that much in the first place.

Last edited:
^ Case in point, clueless guy spreading misinformation.

I'm going off what CDPR says, until it's proven or stated by them main quests are the only ones being effected by the big XP bug and grey quests don't give out XP. If you have a source that's CDPR saying otherwise please let me know.

Quote from CDPR
You do remember that doing a quest that's 5+ levels lower than you (they gray ones) grants no exp, right?

Last edited:
Everyone knows that grey quests are not supposed to give XP. That is not the bug. People have reported different things about the bug though probably due to misinformation. For me, certain quests (mostly main story quests but I noticed a few non-story ones as well) did not give me any XP despite not being grey. Three quests that comes to mind are Count Reuven's Treasure, Get Junior and A Matter of Life and Death.

However, I am still able to get XP from a lot of other quests though. It seems to only affect certain ones.

Last edited:
I keep an eye on main quest. When it gets close to being too low I do it. Problem solved.

Would've loved the game to explain this at the get-go, then I would have done the same as you.. We came to discover it after the fact, and so many people are outleveling those quests and complaining online. An explanation was required, it would've taken 5 seconds to make an ingame pop-up for it: "Do not outlevel main quests or you will not receive XP for them." Done!

Would've loved the game to explain this at the get-go, then I would have done the same as you.. We came to discover it after the fact, and so many people are outleveling those quests and complaining online. An explanation was required, it would've taken 5 seconds to make an ingame pop-up for it: "Do not outlevel main quests or you will not receive XP for them." Done!

I understand and agree more information explaining could help (in the start) but as a story driven game, does it really matter as much as everyone's making it out to be? If you can still play and enjoy the story and easily finish the game?

---------- Updated at 01:33 PM ----------

yeeeeeah, and when i'am not given xp for master swordsman 24 lvl side qest on 14 lvl, it is by design? have save, may prove it.

If your trying to do quest way out of range for XP jumps ahead of where you are at, you're trying to break the XP economy anyways aren't you? Wouldn't people make a list of easy hard quests and jump through the game much faster than intended and then complain it was too easy or that the XP economy was broken?

I understand and agree more information explaining could help (in the start) but as a story driven game, does it really matter as much as everyone's making it out to be? If you can still play and enjoy the story and easily finish the game?

That's my take too people are blowing this out of proportion though to me it was pretty self explanatory.

If your trying to do quest way out of range for XP jumps ahead of where you are at, you're trying to break the XP economy anyways aren't you? Wouldn't people make a list of easy hard quests and jump through the game much faster than intended and then complain it was too easy or that the XP economy was broken?
beleave me, it was NOT easy. and why so much excuses? stop it, there is definitely a bug

I can make a twitch archive of me doing quests of all types (main, secondary, contract) from 22-25 with a 25 character and receiving no exp for it tomorrow. Or, to save time, you could momentarily entertain the notion that maybe you don't know everything there is to know about this bug, and refrain from posting pointlessly contrarian "advice" about it.

I can make a twitch archive of me doing quests of all types (main, secondary, contract) from 22-25 with a 25 character and receiving no exp for it tomorrow. Or, to save time, you could momentarily entertain the notion that maybe you don't know everything there is to know about this bug, and refrain from posting pointlessly contrarian "advice" about it.

I'd like to see that video, because I havn't seen one yet.
Edit: Make sure you show the XP bar because just because you don't see the alert doesn't mean you don't get XP

Last edited:
Top Bottom