Does anyone play move-deck?

+
Does anyone play move-deck?

I like ST a lot as a faction and for awhile I tried to build a deck around moving units since it seemed like a fun and very fit idea for ST. The problem I encountered was that it simply felt very weak (esp. Blue Mountain Commandos) and difficult to play with there not being a whole lot of cards capable of moving more than one unit at a time. So has anyone tried a similar deck? Have you made it work?

I play mix of weather and move cards. Drowners for single target, jotunn, Gaard and caranthir for multiple pulls and can soon add Frightener to deck as it will be able to pull unit soon.

I know it isn't ST faction but it does work, so why not with ST

Last edited:
I'll give you the exact list of a ST movement deck that I've been using later, I can't remember the names of the cards right now lol. It's a really fun archetype to play, it doesn't do good in higher ranked matches though. Great for casual and surprisingly good against weather.

The problem with movement'tael is it's lack of power in general. Blue mountain commandoes ain't bad if you get quen on them and move them around alot. They also thin the deck. The problem is that you risk drawing more than 1 of them in later rounds and if you use them in the first round you lack the finishing power to win round 2 or 3. BMC also ain't that good in later rounds because of the fewer cards you got to make them more powerful.

Iorveth: one of the two movement archtype golds (other being zoltan). He just plain suck atm. In order to trigger his ability you need to move enemy units. Problem is that to do so you need to forsake the buffs the units that can do this gives allied units they could have moved instead. Take the mercenary, buffs moved ally by 3, but moved enemy only takes 2 damage from iorveth when moved.

If Iorveth actually dealt 3 damage to moved enemy units, he would be better. If cards like mercenary and zoltan dealt 1 damage to enemy unit it would also be better.
The archtype also lacks a reliable finisher and\or opener. But when the patch hits i will still try the deck out. It did get small buffs. Let's see if we can get it to work :3

Edit:
I'm currently toying around with the idea of using frost weather as i saw potential from trying skellige storm. I'll have to think about Iorveth, but i'm still of the oppinion that he sucks balls. The question is how to balance weather vs units. Hmm...

Golds: (pardon me im sleepy and too lazy to open gwent so can't remember the name of all the cards :p)
-G.Aard?
-Zoltan
-Saskia
-Isengrim maybe? (strong with morenn, but ithlinne > thunderbolt potion is a possibility too. but i think she fits in a control version more than a weather version).

Silvers:
-Aeromancy
-Natures gift?
-That double frost one
-Morenn? (if using isengrimm)
-The guy who sends everyone on the row he's played on packing to other rows.
-"Up for debate" (many potential cards here. Yaevinn potentially or Ida for quening BMC's is 2 of them)

Bronze:
-Biting Frost
-Dwarven Mercenary
-Blue Mountain Commandoes
-The archer who also deals damage when moved.
-The guy who clear weather and moves units?
-Dol Blathanna Trapper (i nearly forgot her! she should be good when enemy units are lined up!)

I think the deck would look something like that with room for variety. Im uncertain about clear skies as well. The deck lacks deck thinning sadly. But im not sure how much thinning you want if BMC becomes a last round finisher. Cards marked with "?" is up for debate.

Ok thats enough to chew on, going to bed :3 and no i didnt count the cards :p It was a late night contemplation!

edit edit: Also! Malena sucks balls too. Too weak or gives too much power. Ain't worth it.

edit edit edit : Dang it go to bed ziph! anyways: think of ways to use DB trapper on lined up enemy units :3 include Iris in that deck for funzies.

Last edited:
Hey, I'm back. This is my deck:
Blue Mountain Commando x3
Dwarven Mercenary x3
Vrihedd Brigade x2
Sheldon Skaggs
Zoltan Chivay
Dol Blathanna Trapper x2
Dol Blathanna Marksman x3
Hawker Support x3
Ida Emean
Yarpen Zigrin
Sarah
Quen Sign
Scorch
Renew
Malena

I love this archetype even if it isn't quite up to the level of other strong decks.

Still figuring out what I enjoy most but Zoltan and G:Aard are must haves for me, and I like Avallac'h for the deck thinning. Taking Renew right now because Iorveth sucks, but hopefully he gets a buff in the future then it'll be worth running him.

Edit: Have settled on Iorveth, G:Aard, Zoltan and Avallac'h.

Iorveth into G:Aard is so damn beautiful. Even better if you have a Fireball Trap on the row behind or even weather. :D

Last edited:
I do play movement ST, too. It's quite funny however does not perform that good.

I have been able to win some matches thanks to surprise factor though, mostly matches when round 3 started with considerable amounts of card in hands. Movement can win 1 round without breaking a sweat, but it lacks ways to win 2 rounds -something like DBPs, or Vrihedd Vanguards, so I usually try to trick my opponent into 1 round match (e.g. gaining big CA in round 1, most of the time they aren't trying to bleed me hard in round 2 since they don't really know what to expect).

Regarding Iorveth, well doesn't really fit the deck... I initially though he would but I misread the description- I thought that he would damage random opposing unit every time one of his allies move not the enemies. This way you can move either yours or opponent's units and result is the same (moving an enemy is literally the same as moving Dol Blathanna Marksman), which makes Iorveth quite redundant imho (besides 6str/4dmg ofc). If Iorveth triggered every time your unit moves, now that would be really nice.

Iorveth isn't awful if used early in a round with Malena, or later in the round just before G:aard.

Requires some setup, but it can create some big swings.

And FYI, Malena is bugged for me since the new patch came out today. I can't place her on the opponent's ranged or siege row, basically the same bug Letho had last patch.

I already reported it, but wanted to mention it here for anyone thinking of trying a movement deck.

Regarding Malena I think she could do with a point buff so as not to be immediately removable with alzur's thunder. Perhaps put her at 8 points and remove the armour (not sure thematically why she has armour in the first place). Or just increase the armour to 4.

Last edited:
Hey, i tried the weather variant and it works decently with elven merc's and isengrim\morenn. Stuffing enemy units in one row is huge for biting frost.
I realise that i find myself wishing we had more units that moved enemy units though.

Also: If you're moving enemy units for weather\trapper + Iris, it is not worth using the archer that deals extra damage when its moved.

Lining up a igni is also big.

The problem with strength on your side remains though.

I play something like move, although the deck's a mix with mulligan. I left the BMC out because they were str 2 but at str3 with Francesca making sure you never have a pair in hand they might be usable.
Malena could be ok if not bugged with Geralt:Igni but she gives away a lot of points for a lot of setup.
Igni with some cards levelling the enemy field (like NR Radovid decks in closed beta) could be deadly.
Iroveth definitely feels weak for lack of synergies.

Kay so have been trying this out for myself as well. Managed to craft Iorweth and Zoltan(?) for golds that I have used with Aard and Regis: H.Vamp. which I had from before. I also took in the elves that strengthen when you mulligan a card cause I tried to have some stronger units aswell. It´s still clumsy, trying to learn it, have managed to win a few casual games but it´s very much a work in progress. A lot of fun to play though, especially Iorweth + Aard is great fun. BMCs work nicely with Zoltan and Quen, you can buff them up 9 fairly quickly. Weather is a problem for BMCs, atleast they don´t get one shotted now but I would love it if weather didn´t trigger immediately, would make life easier.

I've decided to drop BMCs entirely - just not finding them good enough, even with the bit of deck thinning. There's not enough movement tempo to buff them sufficiently so I've decided to focus on a Movement/Control deck using weather, Trappers and Iorveth/Archers.

Currently cards are:

Iorveth
G:Aard
Zoltan
Avallac'h

Sheldon Skaggs
Malena
Ida Emean
Ciaran
Aeromancy
White Frost

Dwarvern Mercenary x3
Vrihedd Brigade x3
Dol Blathanna Trapper x3
Dol Blathanna Marksman x3
Alzur's Thunder
Biting Frost
DShackles

I am testing White Frost vs Skellige Storm - the former is great for coverage but can also screw with your Fireball Traps if you don't coordinate it correctly. Not sure if DShackles is necesary but always useful to have - otherwise maybe Impenetrable Fog might be better (won't mess up Fireball Traps). Avallac'h may not be the ideal option but I'm not sure of a better fourth gold.

I play an Elf / Mulligan deck that includes Lorveth, Vrihedd Brigades and Ciaran. The damage is just a a side note. The Elf theme works well with the Mulligan theme since I am almost always assured of Aelirenn being in my deck to be Summoned. The Mulligan theme also helps ensure that Roach and Saskia are never in my hand either. And if you want to play Eskel, Lambert and Vesemir the Mulligan theme greatly improves the likelihood of holding only one of the three in your hand.

Last edited:
Hybrid Movement/Mulligan could work, though it's difficult to think of what to compromise on without leaving the deck as a weaker version of both archetypes. I'd rather play a dedicated Movement deck though.

I quickly started a movement deck - called it Motion Sickness. It's lots of fun but as it was said before sometimes it's hard to get 2 wins. Or if you don't have the right cards it falls apart quickly.
Your best bet is to try a few different things, I feel you need none motion cards to help diversify and increase your changes (well I play 100% free so have limited choices). Don't want to give out my whole deck, but here are a few hints for inspiration, things I use;

Brouver Hoog (Leader) - Lets me pick my Silver card, make sure I always have;
Malena
If she dies it sort of falls apart.
Once every motion card which matter is on her row I'd use;
Dwarven Mercenary to change her row and do it all over again.

The biggest issues are; (among others)
1 - With Malena it's slow need lots of turns to be more effective.
2 - Your card crumple up together, making them easier targets for certain attacks.
3 - Accidently pull a Cow Carcass to your main row O_O

i'm building a Move/Control and it seems to be working pretty good. 1sr round on 2 turn I can consistently get up to 40 power. After that I just pass and either win 1st round or have card advantage and go on to win the next two. Still a work in progress but its getting there.

So I decided to drop Malena for Yaevinn. I don't find Malena to be all that useful if not running BMCs (which are also mediocre if focusing on control). Yaevinn on the other hand can be pulled directly by Brouver for card advantage in round 2 following a round 1 win if necessary. And with the control deck I'm playing I almost always push to win round 1.

Also finding White Frost plus Aeromancy to be great (with an additional Biting Frost), in synergy with things like Ida's fog, Trappers (don't throw the Fireball Traps into Frost!) and Zoltan/G:Aard/Iorveth/Mercenaries/VBrigade to make it very difficult for the opponent to get any rhythm with their unit placement. On that note I have not yet faced a ST Special DBP cheese deck with this yet, and I think it will be an uphill battle given how target dependant most of the units I use are... Having DShackles is useful to demote golds but otherwise tbh I don't think it'll be a favourable match up. :(

Anyway regardless I love the whole movement archetype - it's fully interactive with both you and your opponent and wins feel thoroughly deserved. Oh my favourite play recently was pulling a Cow Carcass to kill another Cow Carcass on a different row - stuff like that is so satisfying!

Top Bottom