Does anyone play move-deck?

+
I believe that's what I enjoy about the motion deck, it's not as powerful and requires a bit of cunning to pull it off. More challenge = more satisfying. It's fun to imagine people's confused faces at times with things moving everywhere, even emptying rows in swoops.

Today I played against a guy/gal basically rolling a weather deck. I quickly skipped and lost the first round, but when we got to the second round, I keep everything on the middle row while weather was effecting the other two. He was mostly helpless.

Also, fun to think of people getting nervous when you start moving cards on their side.

This is the move deck that I've recently created but I'm not finding much success. I agree with some of the comments above. It's just so reliant upon playing around carcass and even scorch. Malena is pretty slow I agree and my DBMs and BMCs get picked off early.

Don't get me wrong, it's super fun to play but frustrating the same time. Any tips on how to improve are really welcome from people who've had success.

Bronze Units: 12

3 x Wardancer
3 x Blue Mountain Commando
2 x Dwarven Mercenary
1 x Vrihedd Brigade
1 x Vrihedd Sappers
1 x Hawker Smuggler

Silver: 6

1 x Morenn
1 x Sheldon Skaggs
1 x Barclay Els
1 x Malena
1 x Dimeritium Bomb
1 x Aelirenn

Gold: 4

Regis
Zoltan
Iorveth
Saskia

Special: 3

1 x Clear Skies
1 x Thunderbolt Potion
1 x Dimeritium Shackles

TOTAL: 25 Cards

RobRavenclaw;n8928230 said:
Don't get me wrong, it's super fun to play but frustrating the same time. Any tips on how to improve are really welcome from people who've had success.
Regarding this I feel there are two distinct areas around the movement archetype - movement buffing and movement control - with a sliding scale in between.

I currently think if you want to go full on buffing it could be worthwile combining things like BMCs and Dwarven Mercenaries with a dwarf buffing deck, and overall focusing on your side of the board to buff units and dodge around the opponent's control effects.

But if you want to go control then you can combine DBArchers/Iorveth/Zoltan/G:Aard with weather and DBTrappers to totally screw with the opponent's side of the board.

Middle ground between these is difficult to create because choosing which units to sacrifice or include isn't straightforward.

Of course hybridasation with Mulligan is a possibility but with 25 cards and gold/silver limitations (of which you really need certain cards to be functional - eg Zoltan and Ciaran), it's very difficult to decide what to omit.

For the record the control deck I'm currently playing is in my signature (minus Malena - switched for Yaevinn).

I created a beautiful move deck post patch.

It really was quite lovely and the only time i enjoy playing weather cards.

It is centred around the golds, Iorveth, G:Aard and Zoltan Chivay with Royal decree as the 4th gold.

You lay iorveth down and move units into skellige storms and weather with mercenaries and vrihedd weather clearers.

Iorveth does 2 damage whenever enemy moves, it really locks them down and leaves you to do the moving, using any of the golds in conjuction is devastating as you can imagine, epscially aarding 5 enemies into a storm with iorveth already down.

When used well it's a devastating deck. Not to mention highly resistent to your opponents weather attacks.

It's all about Malena, they kill her off. Game over. If you have decoy then it works 50% of the time to win that round. ST is f*cked unless you have a perfect draw and deck going into the match. ANY of the other other factions have SO many answers to ST. Disgusting by the devs, buff this deck or buff yourselves before you leave the toilet The ONLY reason they can defend this deck as being playable is the 1 in 50 chance all your "perfect" draw comes together. The other decks, it's just click and go..

After the last patch i've been playing a mulligan\movement hybrid deck. It works rather decently (even if it lacks synergizing silvers beyond zoltan and sheldon?).
a 33 card deck. Mercenaries, commandoes, first light, wardancers, saskia. aelirenn, isengrimm to thin the deck.

Flood the board with commandoes, wardancers and aelirenn. Play ithlinne into overdose for 19 points. Use skaggs, zoltan and dwarven mercs to move commandoes around and you can easily reach 100+ points in round one. You can play the 2nd overdose with a merc for 14 points.

Use the Vanguards to close the game in round 2 or 3 buffing them by always mulliganing as much as you can. Use francesca and vrihedd officers to mulligan away unwanted cards (mostly duplicates or to drop a wardancer).

Operator a commando for more points (i need to check if there's a better silver.)

Morenn and toruviel for isengrim plays.

the last silver can be anything.

The bad side is that you have to play commandoes early so first light don't play them. And even then there's a danger of first lighting into a wardancer instead.
Large deck is both a good and bad thing. It means you're less likely to draw the golds, but also less chance on drawing multiple commandoes, first lights.
The deck also lacks control, it's pretty much a "get as much points as possible" type of deck.

Guest 4157120

Move decks for ST will be thing (or meta deck) when CDPR will add Leader which will be able to move units.

not to brag or anything, but my deck (linked above) works pretty well around Rank 17, I very rarely lose. and it doesn't even have Malena. and Eithné is a very useful leader for it.
of course, I wouldn't mind if the deck type received some good new cards in the next patch.

Last time I tried movement it gave poor results. I just don't see movement builds being a strong option. Most movement units are only viable as a supplement to another core deck concept. Dwarves are the strongest tempo option and Eithne control can absolutely destroy most meta decks if played well. So if you want to do well as ST I'd recommend one of those routes. Dwarves is harder to stop if it gets going but, IMO, Eithne Control is the best ST deck due to the flexibility.

I do like the concept of movement deck, but I didn't have much success with it when I tried. I hope the devs do something to help Scoia'tael with archetypes because they are my favorite faction.

ST is fine with the right deck. It's simply lacking variety because there are few archetypes and fewer viable archetypes for higher MMR. I don't consider movement an archetype. There are available movement options but loading a deck up with all of them feels counterproductive. Control builds do better at control and Dwarves do better at creating tempo. So there is little reason to spam movement units. Most movement concepts fit better as a supplement. Mulligan exists but has it's own issues and feels incomplete.

Dwarves can work but lacks flexibility. Eithne Control can beat anything if built/played correctly, and there are numerous viable ways to make it work. I've yet to see anything else deliver better performance or have enough reliability in enough matchups over these two options, hence the earlier recommendation. The main reason Eithne Control gets the nod is it can absolutely shit on most of the common decks in ranked with good draws and the right approach, in a number of ways.

I have been working with a moving deck for a while. I am not in high ranks although I have quite a lot of fun. I agree as people before that Malena is sort of weak and too slow to achieve something good, a little bit of buff would be great. If you compare her with sheldon skags, the dwarf is order of magnitudes better, you can make 20 points putting him on the board.

I do and it's working quiet well for me.
When I was testing it at the beginning I realized that it had some devastating start but lost a lot of power on the late game, so I added some late game power to it.
Here's the list :

Leader : Francesca

Gold :

G:igni
Iorveth
G:aard
Saesenthessis

Silver :

Aelirenn
Sheldon Skaggs
Ida Emean
Ciaran
White frost
Malena

Bronze :

1x Elven wardancer
x3 Blue mountain commando
x2 Vrihedd Vanguard
x2 Dol blathanna Marksman
x2 Vrihedd brigade
x2 Dwarven mercenary
x2 Alzur's thunder
x1 Arachas venom

Just to explain how things work out : The choice of Francesca is important because I'm using some mulligan synergy cards to give this deck the ability of being strong on the late game. The wardancer is just here for two reasons : Thinning the deck and getting a free activation of the Vanguards which are my real win condition (or secondary win condition I should say) Just for those who wonder, I usually get them to a minimum of 11 and they can grow as big as 14 which is usually good enough to capitalize on the late game).

Aelirenn serves a similar purpose and yes, that's a lot of things you don't want to see altogether in your hand. I did it in purpose to kind of give some value to Francesca. It would be highly unstable if you had only 3 cards to mulligan but with 6, it's easy to find everything you want (and send everything you don't want away).
Since there is a subsequent number of elves in this deck, Aelirenn will basically never come later than turn 1 (Especially thanks to the Blue mountain commando) unless you're playing against a very control deck.

Obviously it's my own approach of the deck, some change can be made depending of what you want to do. For example there is an argument (a pretty good one actually) to replace G:Aard with Saskia as a gold and replace Aelirenn with another silver (I tryied decoy before and it's performing well) but this is basically what I am the most confortable with.

Last edited:
I try for a while to work with moving decks. There are two decks I play, the ones that moves your cards and the other more focused with moving the opponents cards.

Moving the opponents cards is quite weak because you rely mostly in two cards: Iorveth, Malena (you can combine with GAard but it is a one hit powerful combo). Then, if the stars are aligned and you get both (I play the dwarf for malena) she typically get locked, alzur's thunder or even Iorvett get locked. The fact that you can play as a loyal or disloyal is very nice, but if you play her in you board she is very slow and not always moves the cards that you are interested (DBM or BMC). As a spy, she is an easy target. For that reason, if moving ST should be an archetype, I really think that would help a lot if Malena were a bronze card, or a bronze card would have Malena ability.

Then, another part that I find it missing is a kind of card that buffs when you move a card, since typically you have a round combo, such as BMC + Sheldon Skaggs, ... The last round is missing a highly buff card. I try to compensate with Eithné, Schirrú, scorching the opponent all the buffed cards, but it should be another way. Maybe it is not supposed to work like an archetype but there are nice combos and cards such BMC or/and DBM with sheldon skaggs that looks they are mend to be.... and they are really fun. Maybe Malena can drop the ability she has now and can be buffed for each moved card during the game, and a bronze card take the ability she has now.

I don't know if other people has better ideas. Those are my two cents. I see that other people combine with Mulligna, maybe it helps with iorvett and Malena combo, I may try in the future.

TL;DR. Idea of assigning Malena's ability to a bronze card, and Malena has a new ability that she gets buff for every moved card.

I agree that Malena is very weak for a silver and there's a general lack of synergy in the theme.
I wouldn't like yet another "gets buffed in hand or deck if" unit, but there should indeed be something. The best bet for last round right now is resilient dwarves but they don't get boosted if other units move around.
The problem of movement is it requires cards to be present on board to have any effect, so last round will always be tricky. Your proposal would be a step to make movement stronger, but it's more unga meme so not really interesting.

LDiCesare;n9263261 said:
I wouldn't like yet another "gets buffed in hand or deck if" unit, but there should indeed be something. The best bet for last round right now is resilient dwarves but they don't get boosted if other units move around.
I agree that another card that gets buffed is a little bit boring, another solution can be more interesting, although I cannot get a better idea to compensate the other rounds. Otherwise is try to play with the other Scoia'tel archetypes.

panerola;n9259831 said:
I try for a while to work with moving decks. There are two decks I play, the ones that moves your cards and the other more focused with moving the opponents cards.

Moving the opponents cards is quite weak because you rely mostly in two cards: Iorveth, Malena (you can combine with GAard but it is a one hit powerful combo). Then, if the stars are aligned and you get both (I play the dwarf for malena) she typically get locked, alzur's thunder or even Iorvett get locked. The fact that you can play as a loyal or disloyal is very nice, but if you play her in you board she is very slow and not always moves the cards that you are interested (DBM or BMC). As a spy, she is an easy target. For that reason, if moving ST should be an archetype, I really think that would help a lot if Malena were a bronze card, or a bronze card would have Malena ability.

Then, another part that I find it missing is a kind of card that buffs when you move a card, since typically you have a round combo, such as BMC + Sheldon Skaggs, ... The last round is missing a highly buff card. I try to compensate with Eithné, Schirrú, scorching the opponent all the buffed cards, but it should be another way. Maybe it is not supposed to work like an archetype but there are nice combos and cards such BMC or/and DBM with sheldon skaggs that looks they are mend to be.... and they are really fun. Maybe Malena can drop the ability she has now and can be buffed for each moved card during the game, and a bronze card take the ability she has now.

I don't know if other people has better ideas. Those are my two cents. I see that other people combine with Mulligna, maybe it helps with iorvett and Malena combo, I may try in the future.

TL;DR. Idea of assigning Malena's ability to a bronze card, and Malena has a new ability that she gets buff for every moved card.

I don't play movement, as I said before. Every option available to it can be countered and, even if it works, most opponent decks have on demand tempo that works just as well or more of such options. Everytime I tried a move build it ended with too much tempo in one round and ran out of steam in subsequent rounds.

Eithne Control or Eithne Dorfs seem to be the only decent builds ATM....

Just as an edit, the Eithne Control deck with Witchers/Smugglers has been giving me the best luck. Dorfs seems to be a strong MS Swarm counter as well. Although, it's ridiculously dull to play IMO. Dragoon builds seem to fall off around 4.1-4.15k because everyone shits on your Dragoons with locks/removals.

Last edited:
Top Bottom