DOES CDP RED transform GWENT into next copy of HS?!

+
I secretly hope the campaign will have a overworld map (like the one in Puzzle Quest) with towns, contacts, side quests, story quests, choice and consequence.

If they manage to pull this off, Gwent would easily kick Hearthstones sore butt.

I think it will be overworld map cause it would be really tough to make 10+ hours campaign otherwise. I heard in campaign you will have your own army (your cards are your army) so probably it will be conquest of some sort.

HS story mode is BS I'm sure Gwent's will be much more better.

I am not worried about this, because there are still dozens or even hundreds of unused characrers. Also devs can create a bunch of cards just from one characrer, for example:
- Geralt,
- Geralt: Igni,
- Geralt: Aksji,
- Geralt: Quen,
- Geralt the Chicks Hunter,
- Geralt the Ciri Babysitter
etc. etc.

HS story mode is BS I'm sure Gwent's will be much more better.
It will be much better, because when HS goes to party in Karazhan, you will be able to travel to Nilfgaard and conquer it.
:yawn:

I am not worried about this, because there are still dozens or even hundreds of unused characrers. Also devs can create a bunch of cards just from one characrer, for example:
- Geralt,
- Geralt: Igni,
- Geralt: Aksji,
- Geralt: Quen,

QUOTE]

but even if you got 100 characters thats only 20 per faction so its not that big number.
Its easy with Geralt but with others it's not that easy I think. (I would like to see Geralt the ciri babysitter's card though:)
I'm not worried, just cirious ;)

I agree about the attack on a specific enemy card is just taken from elsewhere, actually from most other card games on the market and it makes Gwent less unique as it was before. The 0 strength killing the card as well is plainly stupid as there are plenty of cards cancelling effects on strength.

Gwent is about planning and influencing the outcome of the cards present on the board until the last minute. Every single card, even the 0 strength ones, should get a chance to be raised again to their original values or boosted at any time during a round.

Last edited:
I think the reason you see Gwent becoming much more like HS is because CDPR moved from conditional cards to universal.

Lets say Scorch - is a conditional card, it doesn't have the same effect all the time, it can inflict a huge amount of damage or do absolutely nothing.

Now the new cards being introduced all have universal effect... When targeting specific cards - it works all the time with EQUAL efficiency, then all these add strength / remove strength / add strength cards - they all have same result, they are all efficient ANYTIME when played...

This is the solution which I think is wrong, something that guarantee works every time has less strategy to the use of it!

I would make certain cards playable only when conditions are met - like total strength of the deck / row, amount of bronze / silver / gold cards played etc. Players will be able to try to avoid those conditions while maximizing their strength - which is true strategy.

Personally I am not a fan of wounding mechanic in present shape. Why? Because now half of the cards have some sort of wounding ability and in my opinion it is too common. (now you all will say to me that I did not even see half of the cards - it is true. But please ask yourself, do you really believe that all not disclosed cards will be so different than those we have seen already?)

I see wounding as a special ability, available only for some special cards, like for example Iorveth (because wounding can be ok, but not in such quantity).

I am looking forward for beta and hoping for access. And then I will be able to share with opinion based on beta experiences. But so far, too much wounding and in general speaking, many more other changes directed (maybe not entirely, but mainly - in my opinion) to attract HS players. It is ok from $ point of view, I totally understand that, but not so good for Gwent's uniqueness.

Don't take me as ultimate complainer. I love many things in new Gwent, but I try to write about what I do not like, with hope, that my arguments will be heard :)

Last edited:
Personally I am not a fan of wounding mechanic in present shape. Why? Because now half of the cards have some sort of wounding ability and in my opinion it is too common. (now you all will say to me that I did not even see half of the cards - it is true. But please ask yourself, do you really believe that all not disclosed cards will be so different than those we have seen already?)

I see wounding as a special ability, available only for some special cards, like for example Iorveth (because wounding can be ok, but not in such quantity).

I am looking forward for beta and hoping for access. And then I will be able to share with opinion based on beta experiences. But so far, too much wounding and in general speaking, many more other changes are directed to attract HS players. It is ok from $ point of view, I totally understand that, but not so good for Gwent's uniqueness.

Don't take me as ultimate complainer. I love many things in new Gwent, but I try to write about what I do not like, with hope, that my arguments will be heard :)

You are not alone with these thoughts. At first when I saw all these card changes after KTS, I realised that it wasn't even close to the gwent we knew in The Witcher 3. I was pretty unhappy about it, cause I liked the old gwent a lot, and I hoped to see Gwent online become a successor to that game. Well it didn't happen we can see that now.

On the other hand I was thinking about how would it be possible to add more depth to the "Old" gwent without the possibility of wounding. ... I couldn't think of any proper solutions. A card game becomes more complex the more variable "numbers" there are in it, just like mathematical equations. Until now there were only weather cards that could decrease the strength of cards (let's forget about scorch for a moment), which took away a lot of possibilities from numbers being varied into other different numbers. Now we have wounding which makes this possible (although I agree there are too many such cards at the moment).

The more branches there are in the program behind the game, the more complex it gets! I think we should be happy about this new young branch and see what it grows into during the beta.

Tbh I don't really care about changes to spies or wounding as its a balancing issue and adds more depth. What I really do not like is increased rng. The 2 random cards at the start of each round in particular. It means that the difference between an experienced player with a stronger deck and an inexperienced player with a weaker deck is actually minimal now because of rng. I am totally for increasing the starting hand but I am vehemently against 2 rng cards at the start of each round. One of the main reasons I love Gwent so much is because it is so tactical and not reliant on 'luck' as much as other card games. Gwent was like the Chess of Card games. Now it's slowly becoming Blackjack lol.

I think the reason you see Gwent becoming much more like HS is because CDPR moved from conditional cards to universal.

Lets say Scorch - is a conditional card, it doesn't have the same effect all the time, it can inflict a huge amount of damage or do absolutely nothing.

Now the new cards being introduced all have universal effect... When targeting specific cards - it works all the time with EQUAL efficiency, then all these add strength / remove strength / add strength cards - they all have same result, they are all efficient ANYTIME when played...

This is the solution which I think is wrong, something that guarantee works every time has less strategy to the use of it!

I would make certain cards playable only when conditions are met - like total strength of the deck / row, amount of bronze / silver / gold cards played etc. Players will be able to try to avoid those conditions while maximizing their strength - which is true strategy.
Good point. Original Gwent was anti-dumbass game, which now becomes more casual-friendly. Reducing the role of Scorch is great example: during KtS everyone of us met this one guy who scorched himself... And that is why Devs introduced such simplified mechanic into the game.

Top Bottom