Does CDPR have plans to add modding support for console versions of the game?

+

• Yes, add both

Votes: 9 34.6%
  • No, add neither

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • Add Mods but not cheats

Votes: 8 30.8%
  • Add cheats but not mods

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • I don't mind to be honest

• Other (Add below)

• Total voters

iCake

Forum veteran

Okay, Bethesda has already announced that modding support is coming this month on Xbox One. This is great news indeed, I've actually been waiting for this for a long long time, but the question arises. Are you considering going the same way with the Witcher 3? Now as Bethesda is paving the way I think we need this one for TW3 as well, I'm really hoping for an official answer on this. Please, CDPR, there are so many great mods made for your game, it's not quite fair to keep us console gamers from joining the fun of modding.

Doesn't it depend on the nature of consoles? Those which are flexible, allow modding. DRM infested ones like Xbox and PS - not really. So if you care about modding, don't use such consoles.

iCake

Forum veteran
@Gilrond-i-Virdan

I've no interest in buying a potentially pricey PC at this point, a console had the best money price when I needed to upgrade so I decided to go along with console gaming. Advice like go by a PC if you need access to mods doesn't really help this much.

Also, have you even read my post? Fallout 4 mods are officially coming to Xbox One this month already. They'll later hit PS4 as well. So your DRM infestation comment doesn't help much either, Bethesda is doing this some way, I think other developers should think about it as well.

G3nome

Forum veteran
even the PC version doesnt have proper mod tools and have to rely in not easy methods for modding

Advice like go by a PC if you need access to mods doesn't really help this much.

It doesn't, but it's not anyone's fault except for DRM inclined console makers, isn't it? It's your choice to use them. Or not.

That said, you can get cheaper console style PCs, like Alienware Steam machines for instance, that should be fully mod friendly.

---------- Updated at 04:12 PM ----------

Fallout 4 mods are officially coming to Xbox One this month already. They'll later hit PS4 as well

I'm not familiar with the nature of Fallout 4 mods and their architecture, so I won't comment on them in particular. However you can't draw parallels to any other game, since modding can be implemented very differently. Whether DRM stands in the way of that would depend on that architecture. So I see no point in saying "hey, Fallout 4 did it, so do it as well", when applied to completely different game.

Also, I'd say developers shouldn't try working around weird DRM quirks for the purpose of enabling mods and such, if they can invest their resources into something positive on DRM-free platforms.

Last edited:

Guest 2364765

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/witcher-3s-mods-could-come-to-xbox-oneps4-but-noth/1100-6429550/

They were looking into it.

Were.

Plan silently went AWOL.
Personally i couldn't care less about consoles since at least half of the "good" mods wouldn't be able to work reliably on them, but just like entire "modding support" subsection of the game, it got an arrow to the knee.

My personal reasoning behind this is as follows:
http://wccftech.com/cdpr-dev-tools-drastically-updated-cyberpunk-2077/

Above article + Two delays of Witcher 3 + somewhat recent leak of February build of Redkit kind point towards conclusion that at the point where CDPR made very bold modding support statements, Witcher 3 was built using very shabby and unstable toolset. Files within redkit leak had development milestones and finishing redkit was one of said milestones, so yeah. They've got nothing for us since they don't have much themselves.

if there's nothing to give for the PC community then i really wouldn't expect them to work on mod integration for consoles.

Last edited by a moderator:
@skacikpl: do consoles like Xbox even allow installing mods? I thought they completely prevent installation of third party software... because DRM. I.e. unless mod creators will go through the process of uploading that mod into the "official" stores (and why should they bother doing it, considering all the bureaucracy, approval and other gatekeeper nonsense), I don't think it will even be feasible to use them at all.

Last edited:

Guest 2364765

@skacikpl: do consoles like Xbox even allow installing mods? I thought they completely prevent installation of third party software... because DRM. I.e. unless mod creators will go through the process of uploading that mod into the "official" stores (and why should they bother doing it, considering all the bureaucracy, approval and other gatekeeper nonsense), I don't think it will even be feasible to use them at all.

I guess that it's somewhat possible, given FO4 is getting mod support on consoles in June (IIRC). Though as you said, i guess that only selected mods will be available.

I guess that it's somewhat possible, given FO4 is getting mod support on consoles in June (IIRC). Though as you said, i guess that only selected mods will be available.

It's always been technically possible, even on older generations of consoles. The issue has always been that the console companies didn't permit it.

I suspect that @Gilrond-i-Virdan is right about this. Given Bethesda's past (albeit failed) attempt with chargeable mods on Steam, I could see them as much more likely than most developers to enter into a formal arrangement with the console companies. Unless there's been a massive rethink about modding from the console companies, the approval process is still a big problem for most games.

It's a done deal with Bethesda. Mods come to Xbox One later this month and then in june to PS4. Should be interesting to see how it works.

@Dragonbird: Not to mention the fact, that most console stores actually require developers to pay them to post their software in the store. At least it was an issue for many crowdfunded games, developers of which said it prevents from providing console versions as rewards in addition to let's say regular PC OSes releases through GOG and such (i.e. they only give choice either or). So unless console stores really changed their policies, I doubt mod developers will run using them. And few approved "official" mods is not what's called modding.

It's a done deal with Bethesda. Mods come to Xbox One later this month and then in june to PS4. Should be interesting to see how it works.

Has there been confirmation one way or the other that the mods will be free?

Because again my understanding was the same as Gilrond's, that traditionally developers had to pay. Which means one of three things - that Beth have persuaded the console companies that it's in their interest to do this free, that Beth is absorbing the cost in the expectation of more sales on console, or that the cost will be passed on to the customer.

Has there been confirmation one way or the other that the mods will be free?

Because again my understanding was the same as Gilrond's, that traditionally developers had to pay. Which means one of three things - that Beth have persuaded the console companies that it's in their interest to do this free, that Beth is absorbing the cost in the expectation of more sales on console, or that the cost will be passed on to the customer.

I don't know how many details they've released but I found this:

Like Gilrond, I'm skeptical about how comprehensive and reliable it'll end up being on console.

Last edited:
Well, there were no "Pay" icons in the video, which was a good sign :)

But it does indicate something VERY structured. Personally, I don't see this having happened with TW3 even if they had gone ahead with the redkit.

Looks like a combination of my first and second thoughts - that Beth have persuaded the console companies to permit something, and are absorbing the cost of this framework in order to make it happen.

Last edited:

iCake

Forum veteran
I appreciate all the talk why modding on consoles isn't going to be impressive, or even can't be truly called "modding", because, apparently, if you only get access to mods that are officially approved it's no modding at all. @Gilrond-i-Virdan, seriously? I get that you're an eager disciple of the GNU and open policies stuff, but don't let it cloud your judgement. Right now the console players aren't able to make adjustments to their games. Having options is always good, isn't that what you're trying to propagate anyway?

Modding on consoles has a long road to go that's for sure, but never forget, Rome wasn't built in a day. Yes, consoles are going to have limited access to mods, in particular, only mods from "bethesda.net" are going to be available, no nexus or whatever, but as far as I understand Bethesda is really intent on making all or at least most of the mods from that site of theirs work on consoles. Yes, graphical changes are most likely out of the question due to the consoles very nature. But better visuals is not what modding is all about, there are a lot of gameplay alterations that can be a real game changer. Hell, I'd like the modding to be there, just for the unofficial fallout mod alone.

Seriously, I applaud Bethesda for pushing this subject for years now. They wanted to do just this since Skyrim. Hell, unofficially, Skyrim mods made for PC could very well run on free-booted Xbox 360s, even texture/graphical mods, that's just to show that modding on consoles isn't technically impossible, in fact, it's just a matter of arragement with the platform holders, because they ulltimately decide what does and does not run on their systems. Luckily, Bethesda has proven that this kind of agreement can very well be reached.

In conclusion, I'd like to quote from one of my favorite games of all time:

"It only takes a spark to light a candle and then the darkness is no more™".

I'm really excited about mods making their first appearance on consoles and I do hope they're going to have support with more and more titles in the future. This doesn't have to be "the Witcher 3" fo that matter, but I'd sure like that very much. Anyway, the question of the title still stands, I'd really appriciate it if someone from CDPR shed some light on their plans about TW3 mods hitting consoles.

Last edited:
Right now the console players aren't able to make adjustments to their games.

Not because of technical limitations, but because console overlords don't want you to. So if you are eager to support them with money, complaining about it is somewhat missing the point, don't you think? If you want that to change, don't support it. In this case the vote is with your wallet.

Having options is always good, isn't that what you're trying to propagate anyway?

Indeed. It's just the question of what will provide those options. I don't see major potential of current DRMed consoles to improve in this aspect, unless a lot of competition will start pressuring them. As any incumbent monopolists they don't care much about what their users want, as long as those users are paying them.

Last edited:

iCake

Forum veteran
Not because of technical limitations, but because console overlords don't want you to. So if you are eager to support them with money, complaining about it is somewhat missing the point, don't you think? If you want that to change, don't support it. In this case the vote is with your wallet.

What the hell? Are you living in your own world or something? Where did you see me complain? Could you please stop inventing things and just stay on point? As I said earlier: "keep up", your statement is contradictory. I'm actually seeing this change as the console "overlords" are allowing mods for at least one game, that proves their flexibility at this matter, now it's up to developers to work out console mods support if they want, no need for me to stop voting with my wallet. Console mods for Falout 4 is a done deal, period.

Things like these suggest you are not reading thoroughly and just picking phrases here and there. I'm not sure how to react to you anymore.

Last edited:
I'm actually seeing this change as the console "overlords" are allowing mods for at least one game, that proves their flexibility at this matter

I'm skeptical about it, as I explained above. They don't allow real modding. They just accepted some "approved" mods. In my understanding, modding means that you can spontaneously create something, and anyone can take it and install, without asking any gatekeeper for permission. That's doable with games released for unrestricted platforms. Current consoles (besides may be Steam Machines) are nowhere near that, even if they do something like what you described with Bethesda.

Things like these suggest your not reading thoroughly and just picking phrases here and there.

No, I red what you said. I just don't agree that current major consoles are significantly changing in this aspect. May be they eventually will, but what's happening now is not that by far.

Last edited:

iCake

Forum veteran
@Gilrond-i-Virdan

Oh, come on. You might have indeed read what I said, but so far, I'm having the feeling you're not getting the gist of what I'm talking about. This constitutes in a variaty of ways, sometimes you're just getting ideas that I did not even try to convey, like those bits with "saying that they should do this as well" and "complaining", sometimes you just reiterate my thoughts.

Yes, as I said current console modding will have limitations, this is something I indeed stated and you just repeated the same damn thing for some reason I'm not aware of, but I also noted that: "Rome wasn't built in a day". When it comes to stagnation and development, which would you choose? I'd go for development and that's what we can hope to get here, you can be skeptical about it all you want. In fact, it can stagnate along the way, only time will tell, but whether it'll actually come to that is irrelevant, it's not helping in any way. I'm here in hopes of getting an official CDPR statement on the console mods for TW3.

As for the real modding, you have some funny ideas there. You don't have to have access to all the money in the world to call money money. The same thing is with console modding. When picking between nothing and some, potentially almost all of it, I'd always go for some.

Top Bottom