Does CDPR have plans to add modding support for console versions of the game?

+

Does CDPR have plans to add modding support for console versions of the game?

• Yes, add both

Votes: 9 34.6%
  • No, add neither

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • Add Mods but not cheats

Votes: 8 30.8%
  • Add cheats but not mods

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • I don't mind to be honest

• Other (Add below)

• Total voters
When it comes to stagnation and development, which would you choose? I'd go for development and that's what we're most likely to get here

I addressed that. Monopolists don't like development. They progress only when pressured by competition. Steam Machines are one contender, but most here dismiss them as insignificant. So, where do you expect the development to come from?

As for the real modding, you have some funny ideas there.

Nothing funny here, it's a pretty basic idea actually, of what non restrictive platform should be. You can compare it to freedom of speech / expression, in artistic or technical context. And DRM of console gatekeepers to censorship tool. And how console incumbents react to real modding, you can see here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_Computer_Entertainment_America,_Inc._v._Hotz

Last edited:

iCake

Forum veteran
@Gilrond-i-Virdan

From more and more developers jumping on the road of console modding support for their titles. Whether or not it'll be the case is yet to be seen, as I stated earlier (again!). The precedent is there. Speaking of monoplies, I'm more than sure PS4 owners would never have agreed to implement the modding support, albeit limited, were it not for their Xbox One contender as Bethesda first mentioned mods for X1, PS4 talk had begun only a few months later.

There is actually a lot of funny stuff even in your drawing comparisons between modding/freedom of speech/artistic expression and whatnot. No offense meant, I get the comparison and what you're trying to point at. It's just you're so keen on getting everything up to its extreme point. Everything has boundaries and limitations, freedom of speech/articstic expression included. Hell, even the life itself is one big frigging limitation.

I would love to play with mods on my ps4... Well, I don't expect to have a uber graphics... Just the minor ones like darker nights or something like that

Mods and Cheats on Console?

Hello. First of all a little background. About a year ago now, I got The Witcher 3 and just brought it's DLC. However, I have not really played the game. I played a bit of it, got distracted, and never touched it again for various reasons. I'm thinking of playing it since I kept my copy (What can I say, the whole free small DLC, saying not to buy the large DLC unless you liked the game, and other small things won over my support and I kept it when trading in other games for what appeared to me to be a company to support.) There's a few things stopping me from doing so but I'll go into that another time when I've had time to cohernece my thoughts on the matter into, well more choherent thoughts.

Anyway, when I read about Fallout 4 getting Mods on the consoles soon, I thought back to a conversation I had here where it was said it would never happen probably. Well, it would seem it is more possible then we thought. I don't know the circumstances of if it is a specal case or not, but I was wondering: as a company who made a point on providing free content for a game and who supports mods with Redkit, do you think it viable to bring this to The Witcher 3 on consoles?

Another related topic is the concept of cheats and the like. On PC it's easy to make yourself a god or whatever should you choose: simply do the right console commands and you are set. With Console ii is nigh impossible. What would people think of cheats on a console, since The Witcher has no multiplayer that could be abused or the like?

And more importantly, what are the players and staff thoghts on these topics?

Last edited:
Then, came Steam Machines, Then, came Vulkan. Then, came PS4 Neo.

It's an accepted fact that consoles are no longer the holy grail of stability or safe investment. 10 years ago, you could buy a PS3, or XBOX 360, and expect to be able to use that hardware for 8 years, and play each and any game they release for this console, at premium price because competition was not possible.

Nowadays, with the blatant example that consoles can no longer hold on their hardware for more than 3 years, and are unable to render game reliably at 1080p resolution with 30 fps, you end up understanding than the Steam Machines, along with an ever increased support for the, Microsoft-Free (aka, not made by Msoft), Vulkan API, is the future of console. This will basically provide you with a PC, with the price tag of a console, the easiness to use of a console, the capability to do more than a console, the modding support of a PC, and the price tag of PC games, with sales and all the rest.

As many said before, Modding Support for TW3 will not come for console. Modding will unfortunately for ever stay extremely sterile on console, due to the fact that Sony and Microsoft holds the key, and won't let mods transform the games. I expect FO4 console mods will be a very tiny % of all those who exist on PC, and Bethesda is the bannerman of modding. But it's up to console players to change their destiny. Get a steam machine, free yourselves

The Witcher 3 mods coming soon on Xbox One and PS4 ?

Hello everyone, I'm new user right here and this is my first topic but before begins I wanna say than my English isn't good because I'm Spanish as well please I hope You understand me, I'll try explain myself the best possible.

Time ago I saw a few news where were talking about CD PROJEKT would try bring to Xbox 1/ PS4 The Witcher 3 Mods. So my question is the next; Will it bring CD PROJEKT The Witcher 3 Mods to both platforms or not finally ? Because I wanna to clarify than Fallout 4 will bring Mods for platform both consoles, so seeing this I hope to CD PROJEKT maybe can bring Mods also for Xbox One / PS4.

I know very well isn't possible bring to both platforms every mods from PC because Xbox 1 / PS4 does not support too many load graphics like PC but I'm sure about Xbox 1/ PS4 would can support some Mods from PC like for example; Geralt's Hair, beard, eyes, face. All this are things I love too much and I don't think that bring this things to Xbox 1/ PS4, get breaking both consoles, would be possible bring to both platforms that I think.

I don't ask that bring the best Graphics mods just some simple mods like those previously mentioned.

Geralt's Beard
View attachment 40581 View attachment 40591
Geralt's Hair Geralt's Eyes
View attachment 40601 View attachment 40611

Attachments

• 602-0-1446179178.jpg
    602-0-1446179178.jpg
    244.9 KB · Views: 580
  • 602-0-1446940174.jpg
    602-0-1446940174.jpg
    253.9 KB · Views: 152
  • 602-0-1449796827.jpg
    602-0-1449796827.jpg
    251.6 KB · Views: 92
  • 390-0-1441215917.jpg
    390-0-1441215917.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 339
Last edited:
Because bringing mods to console is a lot of work, and needs to go through a lot of agreement with Sony / Microsoft. Bethesda have been planning it from the start, and they are the bannermen of the modding scene.

Modding on The Witcher 3 has not exactly gone as planned early on, already for PC, and their stance back then was a long stronger than "would try". It was provided with certainty. Even then, what was promised couldn't be done / had to be cancelled. Provided the cancellation of the bigger mod picture on PC, it's very unlikely that any project to bring modding to console was even discussed after the game launch.

Those hair and beard mods use Nvidia HairWorks which isn't available on the console version. So even if modding was possible on consoles those mods still wouldn't work.

i for one am glad that we are taking these baby steps into the future for console gaming. even if it is small things or heavily regulated its WAAAYY better than nothing at all.

consoles are the baby siblings to the PC and i think that they should learn to do modding. granted its just tiny steps now but who knows in the future they might be able to be par with PC when it comes to modding WHO KNOWS!!

im all for advancements in whatever way they come. ^w^

PS4/XBOX ONE MODS?

I was wondering if anyone knew if there any updates on the possibility of mod support for PS4 and XBOX One? Almost a year ago, it was mentioned by CDPR that they were looking into it, and that it could happen. And with Fallout 4 launching mod support next month on consoles, and Blood and Wine right around the corner, I was curious if anyone knew if it's still being looked into or if they've abandoned it?

I've done searches here and online, but all I can find are news links to what was said last year.

Most likely no, consoles won't get mods. However, it seems that baw will bring some "mods" like enemy scaling, toggleable auto-sheat of swords, you can dye your armor so it can serve as retexturing, kinda.

Consoles struggled to get 30 fps, so any graphics mod would bring fps even lower.
I honestly doubt consoles will get mod support from Witcher 3, ever.

Hmm, didn't know about the armor dye. That's pretty cool.

To be fair, I think Fallout 4 getting mods had me thinking it could be done with Witcher 3. If not for any other reason, Fallout 4 suffers from a lot of stability issues. Going into areas there, still today, the FPS dips dramatically and far worse than anything I encountered in Wild Hunt.

It'd probably a hell of an undertaking though. And I guess since CDPR has been mum on this for nearly a year...I guess that's the start and end of it. Thanks for the reply, though.

there is a lot of talk about modding being graphics upgrades and HUGE things like that but when i think of console modding i think of things like retexturing or custom made armours and the like.

is this more of a possibility than graphic mods for consoles? i would be more than fine with small steps like that.

there is a lot of talk about modding being graphics upgrades and HUGE things like that but when i think of console modding i think of things like retexturing or custom made armours and the like.

is this more of a possibility than graphic mods for consoles? i would be more than fine with small steps like that.

texture replacements and custom armors are the most doable but with the tools provided by CDPR, custom armors are next to impossible like the ones featured in TES and Fallout.

Huge Fan of this Witcher 3! Hoping to see PC Mods come to PS4/Xbox One

I find this game incredible. I have all the DLC and I think if let users play PC Mods on Consoles like Bethesda does... That would be incredible.

Top Bottom