Does it hurt performance much to add more animations to Geralt?

+
Does it hurt performance much to add more animations to Geralt?

Not full-animations like drinking, picking up flowers, etc. But little sequences of animations that make it more realistic when Geralt moves around(Not in combat). Forgive me to compare, but Uncharted 2(2009) probably has smoother and more complicated movements than TW3 in this respect. Although I know CDPR is definitely more than capable of doing this, I was curious if it was intentional to keep it relatively simple.

For example, character's head following camera's focus. "Head tracking" whatever you call it. Why wouldn't they put it?

Last edited:
dude,there is things am not understanding at all in that game...for exemple,devs have cut off some of the most cool looking combat animations...
look at the old 35 minutes gameplay in the combats,you will see that between the strong attack against the guy with the round shield,there are transitions between the attacks and they cut that off...
same thing with aard...this spell used to make someone fly away...now it's just making the enemy fall on the same place...no physic,nothing.
I don't understand,really

???? The head moves fine while riding roach or sailing storm. Not enough? Have you even noticed? Face does a number of muscle twitches all the time when just standing around. Not sure what more there is to ask for.

I have been playing this game like 200 hours. Of course I have noticed. But do you watch his face muscle twich all the time? And they are not even dynamic.
Just play some other recent games, and give yourself chance to compare them. Geralt's animations are not nearly as rich as the world around him.

I have been playing this game like 200 hours. Of course I have noticed. But do you watch his face muscle twich all the time? And they are not even dynamic.
Just play some other recent games, and give yourself chance to compare them. Geralt's animations are not nearly as rich as the world around him.

Really? I find Geralt very expressive, enough so that I've made some of my choices purely on how he's been reacting to events/people. Don't forget that he's a man who has been taught to repress his feelings, so they aren't displayed as openly as some.

Although I admit, I don't understand why the head tracking thing was taken out - I've installed a mod that restores that.

As far as Geralt's facial animations go, I think it is spot on! He's not an emotional character, which makes those little facial animations absolutely in keeping with his character. IMO, the best expressed character I've seen in a video game.

Regarding movement animations, I really do not like Geralt's normal walking animation. It seems....weird. This has bothered me since I started playing. His walking animations just don't seem fluid. Almost like it is a compilation of different walk animations thrown together instead of a seamless walking animation loop.

As far as animation variance goes, I really can't complain. There are subtle little things like him pushing the end of his sword scabbard to tilt the sword when he draws it, to get a better handle on it. And the combat animations are probably the best I've seen as well. Most realistic.

Headtracking....thank the Gods they did not add headtracking! Because who ever looks at every single person with neck twisting movements? Do you see that on the streets, or in the office? No. Headtracking mechanics are gimmicky and unnatural.
If I walked around the office acting like that, everyone would think I have lost my mind.

So yeah, my only gripe is with the awkward walking movement, but apart from that I think the animations in this game is great! If you want to get a new appreciation for it, go play Dragon Age: Inquisition....terrible terrible animations.

Top Bottom