Does the big creatures will respawn ?

+
Does the big creatures will respawn ?

Hi, I'm really impressed by The Witcher 3, this game looks incredible and I can't wait to play it.

But, I have one question that I couldn't find the answer anywhere:

Does the big creatures will respawn (Or the events to fight it) ? Like the Griffin for example ?
Or this type of creatures will be like a boss battle in a specific quest, and then you will never be able to fight it again ?

Personally, I hope they respawn because it would be awesome to go out and hunt down a Griffin any time you want.

Thanks.

I assume you talk about the griffin in the prologue area White Orchard. I think it's save to say that monsters that are related to quests won't spawn again. Because this would make the quest itself where you have to kill them in order to fullfil the contract nonsensical.
Anyway there are some monsters, boss monsters like the royal griffin or the fiend, that can be randomly encountered during your travels. I think that these are the type of monsters that will respawn. Though this is my speculation. But according to Damien Monnier there will be a respawn mechanic after all.

Think again. It would totally cheapen the experience if you repeat the same "unique" encounter over and over again.

I am almost sure they said somewhere that those "big bosses" are one time encounters and won't respawn anymore.
Makes sense too... Imagine if Dragons in DA:I would respawn... Same idea.

Making unique creatures respawn would make killing them feel pretty meaningless and also give the player opportunity to grind, which could potentially ruin the balance of the game. I really hope they don't do that.

I have seen that Griffon in different instances so I think there is more than 1.

Same goes for the Fiend..there was the red one and white one that we have seen thus far.

I have seen that Griffon in different instances so I think there is more than 1.

Same goes for the Fiend..there was the red one and white one that we have seen thus far.

Yeah, I believe they've said that some creatures will not respawn, but that doesn't mean you won't encounter another out in the world. The specific example was along the lines of "You take on a Griffin in the Prologue but theres not just one Griffin in the entire world."

this would make the quest itself where you have to kill them in order to fullfil the contract nonsensical.

Think again. It would totally cheapen the experience if you repeat the same "unique" encounter over and over again.

Making unique creatures respawn would make killing them feel pretty meaningless and also give the player opportunity to grind, which could potentially ruin the balance of the game. I really hope they don't do that.

Yeah you guys are right, I had not thought much about it, It really makes sense, thanks for the replies!

As said in above, I hope they don't. I guess Geralt will be pretty entertained beyond the killing again and again the same boss ... Besides it would kill the fun of getting rare items.

Not every *big creature" seems to be tied to a quest - you could watch the video from PietSmiet for example, where he fights a large flying creature while travelling along, no quest involved. so maybe this creature could respawn i think.

Yeah, I believe they've said that some creatures will not respawn, but that doesn't mean you won't encounter another out in the world. The specific example was along the lines of "You take on a Griffin in the Prologue but theres not just one Griffin in the entire world."
Yep

I already adressed this matter in the monsters-thread because I'm also kind of worried how unique monster will really be. First I thought "big creatures" were always tied to a quest and that you'd have to work hard to find and kill those one-of-a-kind creatures. Now I guess it's rather the case that every quest-related monster is basically a "normal" monster you could encounter everywhere else in the world which makes hunting and killing less memorable. In the german Youtube-Video from PietSmiet he encounters a wyvern and shortly after some kind of earth elemental and in the last scene of the gameplay trailer we could also see many different creatures at the same place. I think it's pretty likely that they respawn and I don't like the thought of it. I thought especially those big monsters were better "hidden". Honestly, if you'd live in this game's world you you didn't happen to be a witcher, you couldn't even walk ten meters from your village without being instantly killed.

First I thought "big creatures" were always tied to a quest and that you'd have to work hard to find and kill those one-of-a-kind creatures.

I think they'll be able to make it work. I think that the monsters that villagers ask you to hunt for them will have stories and characterisations that the villagers have constructed, which is what makes it interesting. And I'm pretty sure there's an investigation aspect to hunting the quest monsters, meaning there's always something different about that monsters in comparison to other monsters of the same type.

Also there's something different about hunting for a particular monster versus encountering it in the wild. If you're choosing to hunt the monster for a quest, you've already thought about fighting it. If you bump into one while travelling the world, there's a reasonable chance that you'd ignore it/flee so that you could continue on whatever other quest you were doing. If you are going to hunt a non-quest monster for loot/XP then you still have to *find* the monster first and I feel like knowing the experience of fighting one of those monsters previously will add to the experience of hunting them out of your own initiative.

And let's assume Vixraine (quote below)'s number for griffins is true -- out of this huge open world where these sorts of large monsters can hide, 6 is a pretty decent number. I think you'd still have to actively look for them if you wanted to encounter that same type of monster loads.

I don't really feel like digging up the source right now, but I believe it was there are something like 6 Griffins in the game.

If that's the case, I suppose that means they don't respawn or they respawn six times? Does respawn mean that there's just some limited number of respawns? If it's a limited number of respawns, is that still a worry for the OP? This quote (assuming it's true etc.) raises some interesting questions.

I need to dig up the video interview that came from (i think it might have been one of the gamespot ones), but when they were talking about the 6 Griffins, they were saying that each (except the first) had a separate ability. So they were all unique in some fashion, and each had to be treated a little different. It wasn't that you were going to find six identical griffins throughout the course of the game. I believe most of them were different 'sub-species' of griffin of some sort.

Plus if no contract,why kill them? Witchers don't work for free...
also it is an interesting side thought that if you know there are only 6, do you kill them all, make them extinct or just remove those causing danger to the general populace?

They will return in free dlc where Geralt takes hallucinogenics and has to fight them within a rainbow environment and accompanied by naked cheese wielding succubus's ~ Confirmed.

If there's no giant chicken, I'm so not on board with this. (And giant "mushrooms". Gotta have those.)

Anyway, this thread actually got me thinking - respawning creatures only make sense if you want to grind a lot, and since the whole structure of TW2 was basically set up to discourage XP grinding, I'd be surprised if absolutely everything in TW3 respawned just so you can kill it over and over. Then again, has there been any discussion of how the game will react to grinding? Will there be diminishing XP yields again like in TW2? Anyone know? I haven't heard anything, but you'd have to think TW3 would have to handle all of this differently somehow as the game's structure will be completely different.

Top Bottom