Does the sexuality [of women] in TW3 offend you?

+
Critical Theory troll is trolling. But I'll bite anyway because I am bored...

All the males here have no idea what that actually means in real terms as it doesn't affect them

I realise as you are a collectivist, collective thinking is what you do but... how do you know what "all males here" know or are affected by? Did you conduct a survey? Telepathy? Something you read in a book?

Well, the sorceresses dress and style their hair the way they do as a form of protest of the existing social order in which women are forced to cover up and wear their hair up. They are also sexually liberated because - in pre-modern settings that mimic our own history - sexual freedom was the province of men, who could visit prostitutes or have mistresses while their wives couldn't.

I put myself in the camp that says some of the (main) female characters are designed and costumed a little too... what's the right word... revealing? She's an awesome character and is obviously quite powerful. Having her wear a blouse that's open to her navel isn't really necessary. There's other ways to create female characters that are sexy without resorting to dramatic and impractical cleavage.

On the other hand, the sorceresses in this game are damned powerful people. I'm willing to project my mind a little and assume they're not dressed that way by accident. They know what suckers men are, especially in this game's universe.

For example, would you have

Worked through the quests involving the Crones of Crookback Bog if you'd seen their real appearance from the beginning?

Maybe, maybe not.

Yes you must have given birth to know how it feels to have given birth. But not what you said, because that is clearly thoughtless and has no relevance or comparison to anything I have mentioned.That is obvious, guessing you didn't think much before you typed.

Yes, just what all adoptive mothers thought. That's an academic argumentation becasue... Oh! wait! Why I'm replying who answer me showing an academic evidence that doesn't cannot read correctly or just doesn't know the difference between given birth and be mother! Accept my apologies, please. You must understand... I'm a woman and I don know anytihing about maternity or being observed by lewd or condescending looks. Sorry.

As I said - understanding from a male as regards how women feel can only be purely academic, and I am yet to see anything academic here.

Please, do you mind to point in an academic way, which kind of culture are you talking about? What kind of academic answer are you waiting for? Because, I'm a woman, inconsequential detail in this thread BTW, right?

In general only a female can and in general should answer here - answers from males are irrelevant unless they have some experience with understanding the gender roles of women (and that would only be purely academic).

Last edited:
I'm a woman (just pointing that info out there) and i genuinely don't care if women (or men) are sexualized. Heck, i spent a long time on Saints Row 3 in the kinkeh clurb, just sayin'. XD
But sometimes women being sexualized is accurate to a certain time period and people still complain about it.

I laughed when the first Mass Effect released and people were complaining about the sex scenes, saying they were 'too much'.. I was like "What sex scenes?! I saw a bit of side bewb and butt cheeks... Have a missed something?!" o_O

They point to how characters like Miranda, Samara, Jack, and Edi all have sexualized looks while the males don't.
Men in Mass Effect don't have sexualized appearances?

Remember; characters can be sexualized in different ways. They can be eye candy (what a men/women find attractive in the opposite sex) or they can be an idealized self (what men/women think the opposite sex is attracted to in them.) Both men and women are sexualized in Mass Effect. In fact, I would go so far as to say the majority of video-game protagonists are sexualized.

Last edited:
I'm going with no.

---------- Updated at 09:28 PM ----------

Also, Bioware's take on sexuality is garbage.

---------- Updated at 09:30 PM ----------

Sexuality in Bioware detracts from their games. CDPR's take adds to their games.

Not offended in the slightest. And I'll leave the sexualised thing to the females to answer because it's difficult to respond without being patronising to those we're pretending to speak on behalf of. Not saying a male can't answer to some extent, but most males do come across as being patronising even when not meaning to. That aside, something I've always been amused with when it comes to Americans is how they have next to no issue with violence, even seeing people decapitated etc in games and movies, yet show them a side boob and all hell breaks loose.

Pretty sure one of the Mass Effect games were dragged through the likes of FOX News because of it's sex scenes. It's hilarious the overreaction.

Last edited:
No, because it's a fantasy setting. It's part of the "culture" for lack of a better word of that world. When it doesn't make sense to look sexual, they aren't (ie. Cerys).

No. It fits most of them (like sorceresses) to be sexy. Because they are supposed to, and like to be sexy. And they all have a unique personality and amazing powers.

This doesn't mean i think everything about this is perfect... I really think Ciri should have ended up using some light armor, like a leather jacket. I know she likes to look beautiful, she did spend some long time training/growing up with Yenn, but we all know she is smart enough to use some protection in close combat.

That's literally my own complaint, and it being about Ciri makes me quite sad. Maybe if she gets that alternative look... maybe it will be something really badass.

No. It fits most of them (like sorceresses) to be sexy. Because they are supposed to, and like to be sexy. And they all have a unique personality and amazing powers.

This doesn't mean i think everything about this is perfect... I really think Ciri should have ended up using some light armor, like a leather jacket. I know she likes to look beautiful, she did spend some long time training/growing up with Yenn, but we all know she is smart enough to use some protection in close combat.

That's literally my own complaint, and it being about Ciri makes me quite sad. Maybe if she gets that alternative look... maybe it will be something really badass.

You have a good point. Here is my REDPoint...

I do not think that Triss, Yen and Ciri were overly sexualized, they wear apparel that covers everything. They are physically attractive, but do not wear overly sexualized clothing imo.

Many of the attractive women in the game are warriors in peak physical fitness, it also makes sense in that way.

I am over at the Bioware forums now talking about Mass Effect: Andromeda and one popular discussion there is that they do not want to see female characters sexualized. They point to how characters like Miranda, Samara, Jack, and Edi all have sexualized looks while the males don't. To me, I am not offended by this because it is just a videogame and it isn't like male characters aren't sexualized either, but for some reason, the Bioware community is very sensitive to that kind of stuff. For those of us at the Bioware forums that are not offended by it, we always mention TW3 and how CDPR manages to present a mature world that isn't afraid to have mature themes and scenes and images around sex. With that being said, what is your opinion regarding the depiction of women in Witcher games? Does it offend you? Do you think CDPR should continue on with their art-style or should they be more like Bioware and try not to offend anyone?

Thanks

The bioware community is not sensitive about this, it is only a very small amount of women that care about this, because it makes them insecure.

---------- Updated at 01:23 AM ----------

Female sexualisation in the Witcher game saga makes sense in the context of a morally bankrupt world devoid of any absolute set of values.
I feel as if the games do a poor job at showing the exceptions to the general milieu though, for instance a chastly looking sorceress or Ciri herself.

The vast majority of women in the game are not sexy at all, only many of the main characters are.

Sexuality also has nothing to do with being immoral.

Last edited:
I do not think that Triss, Yen and Ciri were overly sexualized, they wear apparel that covers everything.

As opposed to being outright semi naked?
do not wear overly sexualized clothing imo
Have you seen Triss' and more importantly Yen's alternate appearance dlcs? Not that Yen's vanilla appearance is tame. Or the rest of Sorceresses.
Many of the attractive women in the game are warriors in peak physical fitness, it also makes sense in that way.
Uh. Warriors (such as Ciri) are not supposed to wear high heels or revealing clothes.
The vast majority of women in the game are not sexy at all, only many of the main characters are.

I don't know. Apart from some old ladies in Velen all women seem to be aesthetically pleasing and wearing revealing clothes.
Novigrad gotta have the highest "strumpets" % on the overall population in history. What are 5 women you can chat with under 50 who are ugly and/or not sexualised in some way?
Sexuality also has nothing to do with being immoral.
When/why/how/where?

Last edited:
I can't even grasp the idea of someone's sexuality being offensive. I'll guess the OP is asking about the depiction of women in TW3.

I find it pretty accurate to the setting and the books. Peasants look like peasants, there are old people -including women- which is a relief, prostitutes in trade are cleary recognizable as such, and sorceresses play in their own league aesthetics-wise. Yennefer's design, for instance, is very classy and true to the source material. Aside from that, female characters have personal stories and motivations, and don't exist as plot device to be rescued or whatever, so... The game pretty much stands above 90% of titles in this regard.

As a woman myself, I feel tired of all this pseudo-feminist bullshit. I appreciate when a custom character RPG lets me play as a woman, and I am able of acknowledge that not every company is willing to put resources for women to play as female, so kudos to them. I can't stand bethesda, so I was left with some bioware and obsidian games and not much more. [I'm still mad about bioware not putting female animations on fem-Shepard ME2's cutscenes and having my character walk like a cowboy and sit with her legs spread like she had balls.] Anyway, we went from games for boys only, to raising shitstorms when someone puts a whore showing her tits in a game, because that hasn't ever happened... right. Neither people taking advantage of their bodies in order to achieve goals. :mellow:

I'd rather have settings with believable and coherent cultures than some sort of disney world when everything caters to american political correctness, and thus everything feels fake and shallow (sadly, looking at you, DAI).

Have you seen Triss' and more importantly Yen's alternate appearance dlcs? Not that Yen's vanilla appearance is tame. Or the rest of Sorceresses.

Haven't tried the DLC, but the game gives you a choice. If you do not want them to wear overly revealing clothing, then don't use those dlc.
Uh. Warriors (such as Ciri) are not supposed to wear high heels or revealing clothes.
I agree, Ciri should have worn armor lore wise. I don't think that her clothing is very revealing though.

I don't know. Apart from some old ladies in Velen all women seem to be aesthetically pleasing and wearing revealing clothes.
Don't think so... the average women in the game seem to be middle aged, average looking women.
Novigrad gotta have the highest "strumpets" % on the overall population in history. What are 5 women you can chat with under 50 who are ugly and/or not sexualised in some way?
Why do only npc's that you can talk to count? You don't need to be able to interact with everyone. That is better than having hundreds of npc's with the exact same lines and voice. Also, the amount of npc's in Novigrad depends how high you have the background npc setting in the video settings right? My Novigrad had a huge amount of npc's.

When/why/how/where?

Was referring to the reference of immorality in that quote, and how sexuality had to do with it.

Top Bottom