Does the Witcher 3 modding could be better with a strong Witcher 2 modding community?

+
Does the Witcher 3 modding could be better with a strong Witcher 2 modding community?

I honestly don't have the answer to this question. The lack of support by fans for the first Redkit might not be the reason why we do not get a Redkit for The Witcher 3. What's certain is that The Witcher 3 got a great support by modders but we as fans didn't prove that CDPR has made a useful tool in the past because not enough content was made. I am not naiv. We will never get Redkit 2 (probably) but we still can make CDPR's work not go to waste. And at best be could influence their next move regarding the modding community.

If like us you care about Redkit for The Witcher 3 maybe the first step would be to actually use the one we got. Join us here where we are at the moment discussing about the creation of a Redkit wiki : http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/115291-Make-The-Witcher-2-modding-great-again

And beside... why not bring more of The Witcher 3 stuff in to The Witcher 2?

Let's discuss here about the interest of merging The Witcher 2 and 3 content and if you want to return to mod The Witcher 2 come talk with us on the thread I linked above. See ya !

What do you mean it is poor advertising? I don't know what you're talking about... :wondering:

Guest 2364765

That's not how it works.

CDProjekt failed to deliver proper modding tools for W2 in time, only difference being that they didn't promise anything in the first place. It was too late and nobody really cared.

Only way of making W3 modding community strong would be to provide proper modding tools with either decent documentation or communication with developers.

Currently we have none of that.

I mean, you can mod W2 all you want, Redkit is in eternal beta, there's no documentation and game itself is old and absolutely obsolete compared to it's successor.

"Old and obsolete"? Well I have to disagree. But I get your point. People are still welcome to participate though if they want.

That's not how it works.

CDProjekt failed to deliver proper modding tools for W2 in time, only difference being that they didn't promise anything in the first place. It was too late and nobody really cared.

Only way of making W3 modding community strong would be to provide proper modding tools with either decent documentation or communication with developers.

Currently we have none of that.

I mean, you can mod W2 all you want, Redkit is in eternal beta, there's no documentation and game itself is old and absolutely obsolete compared to it's successor.

Some influential key individuals within CDPR maybe thought "Well since no cared about the Redkit we released, it isn't worth putting in time and effort to release an updated version for our new game as enough players might not care about again anyway". (As an official explanation was never given behind the canned Redkit plans, all we can do is speculate).

If there suddenly would be a rise of mods developed with the W2 Redkit it might put the entire CDPR team on board with the idea that Redkit is indeed something important and worth focusing on. This is of course a long shot to say the least, but still.

As for documentation of the old Redkit, judging from that thread it seems some modders are going to create their own wiki containing guides and discoveries. But official documentation would of course be proffered, no doubt about it.

Some influential key individuals within CDPR maybe thought "Well since no cared about the Redkit we released, it isn't worth putting in time and effort to release an updated version for our new game as enough players might not care about again anyway". (As an official explanation was never given behind the canned Redkit plans, all we can do is speculate).

If there suddenly would be a rise of mods developed with the W2 Redkit it might put the entire CDPR team on board with the idea that Redkit is indeed something important and worth focusing on. This is of course a long shot to say the least, but still.

As for documentation of the old Redkit, judging from that thread it seems some modders are going to create their own wiki containing guides and discoveries. But official documentation would of course be proffered, no doubt about it.
Did you keep up with any of the news and interviews?

Marcin Iwinski the CD Projekt RED CEO confirmed mod support, including a toolset like REDkit, will be coming to The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt.

Yes, yes, yes we will. There will be an editor,” Iwinski said. “For Witcher 2 we released it quite late. For Witcher 3 it will be faster.

“Look at Skyrim, the last patch was like two years after the release,” Iwinski said. “We want to make sure people have a great experience out of the box and I’m sure we’re going to deliver that. People are working around the clock to make sure everything works great.”

“Their goal is to get a five-star every day and when they don’t they will have a serious conversation with us,” he said.

“This company is run by gamers. These discussions are easy,” said Iwinski.

Iwinski has the biggest influence and he understood perfectly why Witcher 2 modding was dead on arrival and promised this wouldn't be repeated.

Did you keep up with any of the news and interviews?

Marcin Iwinski the CD Projekt RED CEO confirmed mod support, including a toolset like REDkit, will be coming to The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt.

Yes, yes, yes we will. There will be an editor,” Iwinski said. “For Witcher 2 we released it quite late. For Witcher 3 it will be faster.

“Look at Skyrim, the last patch was like two years after the release,” Iwinski said. “We want to make sure people have a great experience out of the box and I’m sure we’re going to deliver that. People are working around the clock to make sure everything works great.”

“Their goal is to get a five-star every day and when they don’t they will have a serious conversation with us,” he said.

“This company is run by gamers. These discussions are easy,” said Iwinski.

Iwinski has the biggest influence and he understood perfectly why Witcher 2 modding was dead on arrival and promised this wouldn't be repeated.

I don't know if this is right, i was certain as you that the editor will be there some day after the release of blood and wine but this quote burst my hopes that CDPR will keep their promise.

What we have released so far (the modkit), is the only set of tools for W3 that will be available. We have no plans to release anything else. Hope this clears things up.

Yes he is a big influence. But a CEO doesn't actually make all decisions alone.

I still we should all we can as players on our end to show CDPR that Redkit is important. I mean such an effort can't hurt anyone can it?

I still we should all we can as players on our end to show CDPR that Redkit is important. I mean such an effort can't hurt anyone can it?

I think you are correct. Almost now one used the witcher 1 editor to create new quests, it was used to change aspects of the base, same for the witcher 2. i guess that CDPR seen what is important to the modding community and tried to bring the bare minimum in order to change aspect of the base game.

Maybe if more quests will be released for for the witcher 2 and player will actually care about them CDPR might change their decision. the main problem is that it might be too late then.

I don't know if this is right, i was certain as you that the editor will be there some day after the release of blood and wine but this quote burst my hopes that CDPR will keep their promise.
I just pointed out the lie.

My quote was taken from an interview, you can easily find it.

No need to remind me that they did a 180 on the mod support.

---------- Updated at 03:25 PM ----------

You kidding me or what? When they released the mod tools there was a huge outcry from the community and several large websites posted articles about it, not to mention the constant threads here which are read by the community manager and some other devs.
They know full well how much this means.

The lack of Witcher 2 mods has absolutely 0 to do with this and they know exactly why the Editor was a failure and waste with Witcher 2, main reason being that it came out 2 damn years after its release and it wasn't even finished, it's a perpetual beta with poor documentation, as has been pointed out by others.

the main problem is that it might be too late then.

Yes, this is very much a risk. :(

By the way when the talented team currently developing the mod Farewell of The White Wolf announced their work (created with the W2 Redkit) a Red suddenly wrote this.

"Very, very nice.

Hm, hm. Maybe this could be an opportunity for proper start-to-end tutorials for people still interested in creating content?"

I don't us screaming "YES! YES! YES!" here will suffice here. Actions speak louder than words as it said.

You kidding me or what? When they released the mod tools there was a huge outcry from the community and several large websites posted articles about it, not to mention the constant threads here which are read by the community manager and some other devs.
They know full well how much this means.

Actually the outcry might just be seen from their perspective as being done by a very vocal minority unfortunately. :/

Last edited:
Yes, this is very much a risk. :(

By the way when the talented team currently developing the mod Farewell of The White Wolf announced their work (created with the W2 Redkit) a Red suddenly wrote this.

"Very, very nice.

Hm, hm. Maybe this could be an opportunity for proper start-to-end tutorials for people still interested in creating content?"

I don't us screaming "YES! YES! YES!" here will suffice here. Actions speak louder than words as it said.

Actually the outcry might just be seen from their perspective as being done by a very vocal minority unfortunately. :/
You do realise that people who mod are a minority, and the creators even more so.
Mod support is about establishing a positive brand and good relations with the community, by catering to a minority.

You do realise that people who mod are a minority, and the creators even more so.
Mod support is about establishing a positive brand and good relations with the community, by catering to a minority.

I realise it. This is about getting the whole of CDPR to realize the importance of catering to a minority. Yes I know they did in the past but things are pointing towards that they have somehow forgotten this a long the road.

I realise it. This is about getting the whole of CDPR to realize the importance of catering to a minority. Yes I know they did in the past but things are pointing towards that they have somehow forgotten this a long the road.
If all thus far failed and they've said a few times now that this is the extent of the planned mod support, how do you expect to do that? With a forum posts lol?

how do you expect to do that? With a forum posts lol?

W2 sucks. Sorry I rather hex edit some shit for W3. Also, although the modding scene for W3 is rather small. (compared to other games) Everyday new shit is being worked on. I just had the opportunity to try and test @erxv s new tool. Its fucking great. I cant say more about it. Being around the w3 modding scene from the beginning I can honestly say that we went from literally nothing to at least something. Every day new tools / apps / hacks are discovered and created for the community. some people actually do some great work and do not literally get any credit for their amazing work, because foremost their stuff is being used by only a small portion of the modding scene. It will get better, and we should focus on MAKEING W3 MODDING GREAT. Also, focus all hate on CDPR plz, their support sucks.

W2 sucks. Sorry I rather hex edit some shit for W3. Also, although the modding scene for W3 is rather small. (compared to other games) Everyday new shit is being worked on. I just had the opportunity to try and test @erxv s new tool. Its fucking great. I cant say more about it. Being around the w3 modding scene from the beginning I can honestly say that we went from literally nothing to at least something. Every day new tools / apps / hacks are discovered and created for the community. some people actually do some great work and do not literally get any credit for their amazing work, because foremost their stuff is being used by only a small portion of the modding scene. It will get better, and we should focus on MAKEING W3 MODDING GREAT. Also, focus all hate on CDPR plz, their support sucks.

This times ten. (Except for the W2 sucks bit - I can't help but love that game.) From the beginning, it's been the players making this modding scene. If CDPR had released a real, working tool they most likely would have seen a huge jump in the scene (like Fallout 4 did - they released a real tool). But that obviously wasn't their goal. They knew exactly what they were giving us with Modkit. They know exactly what they're doing by not giving us more features for it. Gone are the days of CDPR being that little company that cared about us PC gamers/modders, because they're a huge multi-million dollar corporation now - they're catering to all the casuals and consolers that never even knew Witcher 1 existed. It's where the majority of those millions came from.

At this point, the best plan to get a real modding tool is to make it ourselves. (Dude - Erxv! I want to see this new tool!!!) Or, maybe someone should start a Gofundme and we'll offer to pay them for a real tool. Since that's obviously the first priority now.

Top Bottom