Dol Dhu Lokke = worst location card by a large margin ?

+
What the hell is the point of this card OTHER then to spawn a 5 provision bronze unit?
The order ability to put the highest power card on top of your deck is rather useless imo, the ONLY use it has is to workaround against NG cloggers, but if playing against NG mill or any NG deck that plays Cantarella it would just make your highest card vulnerable to yoinking or banishing.

The fact that it spawns 2 drones is also rather pointless since if you're going for a swarm deck then it is counter-productive to have this card BECAUSE, it's an artifact and thus just clogs your row (for 2 rounds) so now you have 1 useless card taking up one stop on your board that could have been used by something else.

Okay so NR's at least gives you 3 solid points that can help some important card survive, SK gives 4 solid points of healing (in addition to amazing SK bronzes), SY one is great for their archetype (basically an extra poison), ST one too allows you to move 3 of your units which works good with that intended archetype.

NOT TO MENTION (but obviously I must mention it) THE INSANITY OF NG LOCATION that allows you to make PREPOSTEROUS combos with Cantarella like playing another Joachim, OR if thou wishet can just use it to put a bad card on top to mess with mulligans.

MO location just seems pale in comparison, at the very least make it be removed from the board after using it's order so I can swarm like a normal person again.

Last edited:
Completely right. In insetoide swarm Dol Dhu Lokke is not the best choice as the artefact blocks one spot. Actually I excluded it from my AS swarm deck.
In Thrive (Phocca) and Deathwish (Succubus, Hybrid) there is no need for drones.

Like the idea of having a destroy after order being used and maybe a provision decrease to 7.

Guest 4375874

For two reason:
1. The bronze cards are terrible and considering that MO didn't get any witcher cards, this was even more underwhelming
2. The order ability feels like it was designed 2-3 expansions ago. I guess they were trying to give MO some sort of tutor assist but for anyone not committing to tall play it doesn't help at all and can easily backfire.

The only thing I use it for is to consume Joachim in the event I face NG. Otherwise it's just goes right back in the deck

Last edited by a moderator:
No, there is a kinda secret behind this card, almost no one knows, but it works perfectly: Succubus Spam.
I am not going to tell details, find out yourself, but this deck brought me to pro rank very easily.
I give you a hint: How can you get as many succubi as possible? - And when you figured out that, think of which monster archetype those many succubi fit best? :)

Guest 4375874

No, there is a kinda secret behind this card, almost no one knows, but it works perfectly: Succubus Spam.
I am not going to tell details, find out yourself, but this deck brought me to pro rank very easily.
I give you a hint: How can you get as many succubi as possible? - And when you figured out that, think of which monster archetype those many succubi fit best? :)
succubus isn't a secret mate, the card just succs (pun intended lol) that's why they buffed it in the last patch but it's still not worth the commitment. Look at it this way....Viper Witcher mentor can play for up to 12 pts immediately, works in any NG deck, no setup required and they can spawn multiple copies through other cards. Succubus requires you to add another copy that plays for just 4, requires setup and you need to build your deck around it. If that deck brought you to pro, hats off to you but I'm going to wager a guess that if you ran deathwish then this card wasn't the determining factor.

if you have plenty of succubi it will work that you will get a +10 every last 3 turns. (when i was playing this deck i remeber they had arendaline 4, so it was the last 4 turns - maybe they changed that because of me, haha :) ).

goal is you should have about 4-5 succubi in your deck to make this work and also enough "eaters".

but yeah, this card isnt a "insta"-buff like for the other factions, it rather has to be seen as a long time strategy. (e.g. use the first round just for cloning and make the opponent waste his cards - lose the round after you are done. then play long round 2+3). it will give you almost unstoppable pointspam (+30) in the end of round 2+3.

and since those cards are rather cheap (cheap eaters is all you need) you can parallel still have enough provision costs to combine them with powerfull other monster cards of your taste (e.g evy works well) to make sure you dont lose round 2

now i almost told you the complete deck. have fun :)

Last edited:
It's pretty bad, but I think ST location is worse. 3 points only if you have a sentry on the board. Otherwise it's just shuffling cards around for no reason. MO should be able to place any card on top instead of highest power, and ST location should be able to move both, friendly and enemy units.

It's pretty bad, but I think ST location is worse. 3 points only if you have a sentry on the board. Otherwise it's just shuffling cards around for no reason. MO should be able to place any card on top instead of highest power, and ST location should be able to move both, friendly and enemy units.
No more moving enemies for ST pls, would be too much. They already have a ton of ways to do that. They could though give it charges instead of an instant order where you must move 3 units when maybe you only want to move 1 or 2. Would make it much more reliable then.
(Also nerf Malena pls :x)

Last edited:
No moving enemies for ST, would be broken. They already have a ton of ways to do that. They could though give it charges instead of and instant order where you must move 3 units when maybe you only want to move 1 or 2. Would make it much more reliable then.
(Also nerf Malena pls :x)
I don't think it would be broken, because there's never going to 3 rowlocked units on the board at the same time, so mostly it would help the completely trash cards like the saboteur and witcher adept find value. It's basically a Nivellen effect without the 5 point body. Charges would also make it slightly better, though. (And leave Malena alone already pls)

Guest 4375874

I don't think it would be broken, because there's never going to 3 rowlocked units on the board at the same time, so mostly it would help the completely trash cards like the saboteur and witcher adept find value. It's basically a Nivellen effect without the 5 point body. Charges would also make it slightly better, though. (And leave Malena alone already pls)
It's not shuffling cards for no reason, there are plenty cards that benefit from movement in ST. And much like NR many of them self activate which is a huge advantage, their location card doesn't need a boost.
Post automatically merged:

if you have plenty of succubi it will work that you will get a +10 every last 3 turns. (when i was playing this deck i remeber they had arendaline 4, so it was the last 4 turns - maybe they changed that because of me, haha :) ).

goal is you should have about 4-5 succubi in your deck to make this work and also enough "eaters".

but yeah, this card isnt a "insta"-buff like for the other factions, it rather has to be seen as a long time strategy. (e.g. use the first round just for cloning and make the opponent waste his cards - lose the round after you are done. then play long round 2+3). it will give you almost unstoppable pointspam (+30) in the end of round 2+3.

and since those cards are rather cheap (cheap eaters is all you need) you can parallel still have enough provision costs to combine them with powerfull other monster cards of your taste (e.g evy works well) to make sure you dont lose round 2

now i almost told you the complete deck. have fun :)
lol umm I can't tell if you're joking or not, you summed up all the things I said was wrong with the card. Maybe someone else will give it a try but I'll pass.

It's not shuffling cards for no reason, there are plenty cards that benefit from movement in ST. And much like NR many of them self activate which is a huge advantage, their location card doesn't need a boost.
No, there aren't plenty of cards that benefit from movement in ST and to get three of those cards on the board at the same time is pretty much impossible. Right now, the state of the ST location can VERY accurately be described as "either you have the sentry and 3 cards on the board and get 3 extra points from it points OR you just created and played 5p card for 8p, congrats."

lol umm I can't tell if you're joking or not, you summed up all the things I said was wrong with the card. Maybe someone else will give it a try but I'll pass.
well, i just wanted to say, that the OP claimed that dol dhu lokke is a very bad card.
my point was just that it is NOT. - it is even a very powerful card, but only if you use it in a very special, specific way (and this way is far from obvious or easy to find out. it takes a lot of knowdlege to figure out this deck) - if you dont use it in this way, then yes, all the points other people mention here are correct.

well, i just wanted to say, that the OP claimed that dol dhu lokke is a very bad card.
my point was just that it is NOT. - it is even a very powerful card, but only if you use it in a very special, specific way (and this way is far from obvious or easy to find out. it takes a lot of knowdlege to figure out this deck) - if you dont use it in this way, then yes, all the points other people mention here are correct.

The first sentence of my fist post was "What the hell is the point of this card OTHER then to spawn a 5 provision bronze unit?"
To this, your answer is "None. An 8 provision gold card exists solely to play another Succubis (5 provision bronze unit).". Alright, ty for your input lol.

ok, if you see it that way you are right. but even an additional bronze unit can result into something very powerful later. it just depends on the unit :)

The first sentence of my fist post was "What the hell is the point of this card OTHER then to spawn a 5 provision bronze unit?"
To this, your answer is "None. An 8 provision gold card exists solely to play another Succubis (5 provision bronze unit).". Alright, ty for your input lol.
I think the main point IS to be able to play another bronze card. The 8 provisions is justified if you see location as:
1. An opportunity to play three copies of a desired card.
2. Offering the flexibility to select which ever of four cards best suits the current need.
3. Of course, the extra feature from clicking the card is a nice bonus in some cases.

As far as power of the relative locations; I think that is deck dependent. Aside from Gorthur Gvaed which has an unfortunately overpowered interaction, all locations add a richness and are very playable — and Dol Dhu Lokke is no exception. Yes, you do have to use it carefully in swarm decks, but even there it’s advantages (an extra griffin and two drones) usually outweigh the space it takes. An extra succumbs can be extremely useful if the deck plays succubi, and phooka can easily play for 10 or 12 points. Moreover, moving your best card to the top of your deck is very valuable in any matchup except against NG, and situationally, against NG.
Any of the locations’ special power can be useless is some matchups. ST’s movement is often counter productive as you must move 3 units when you might want to move only one. The healing for SK is counter productive in many self-damage decks, though I still happily play it for the option of four excellent bronze cards. I often play NR’s location when I have no mechanism to benefit from the deck boost — either because of when I draw it or when I choose to use it.

If I had to pick one location as underwhelming, it would be SY’s because the selection of bronze cards available tend to be very limited and mostly useful only in decks that don’t work. But even it could become useful if self poison or tribute or salamander archetypes are ever enriched.

Guest 4375874

I think the main point IS to be able to play another bronze card. The 8 provisions is justified if you see location as:
1. An opportunity to play three copies of a desired card.
2. Offering the flexibility to select which ever of four cards best suits the current need.
3. Of course, the extra feature from clicking the card is a nice bonus in some cases.

As far as power of the relative locations; I think that is deck dependent. Aside from Gorthur Gvaed which has an unfortunately overpowered interaction, all locations add a richness and are very playable — and Dol Dhu Lokke is no exception. Yes, you do have to use it carefully in swarm decks, but even there it’s advantages (an extra griffin and two drones) usually outweigh the space it takes. An extra succumbs can be extremely useful if the deck plays succubi, and phooka can easily play for 10 or 12 points. Moreover, moving your best card to the top of your deck is very valuable in any matchup except against NG, and situationally, against NG.
Any of the locations’ special power can be useless is some matchups. ST’s movement is often counter productive as you must move 3 units when you might want to move only one. The healing for SK is counter productive in many self-damage decks, though I still happily play it for the option of four excellent bronze cards. I often play NR’s location when I have no mechanism to benefit from the deck boost — either because of when I draw it or when I choose to use it.

If I had to pick one location as underwhelming, it would be SY’s because the selection of bronze cards available tend to be very limited and mostly useful only in decks that don’t work. But even it could become useful if self poison or tribute or salamander archetypes are ever enriched.
As far as application goes most of what you mentioned for MO are situational. The Dol Dhu Lokke bronze cards ONLY work if you have built your deck around them and that's just not the case elsewhere. I run a vampire deck now and no I can't get phooka to 10 or 12 easily as you put it, at most it plays for 6 and you absolutely can't play it against NG so it's never the card you see players use. It only works in decks emphasizing tall play and chimera/drones are all but useless unless you have a devoted Arachas deck.

SK healing is far from counterproductive when you consider there are at least two staple bronze cards in every SK deck that benefits from it...Bear Witcher, Drummond Berserker and the list goes on. Same for ST. Both can use these cards offensively as well as defensively. Cat witcher works in any deck, self activates and can play for more than twice its cost if left alone and doesn't require any setup or additional cards as Succubus or Chimera. These do nothing on their own and requires a deck built around them to work even in specific situations.

NR location does not fit in any deck because there are better cards even for a Witchers deck. MO location is being played now in Arachas (in last meta report) and I've been playing it in a deathwish deck with good results. Imo from worst to best could be the 2nd worst with this order: NR-MO-SY-ST-SK-NG
What I don't understand from Mo location is the reason of "put the highest power card on top".

NR location does not fit in any deck because there are better cards even for a Witchers deck. MO location is being played now in Arachas (in last meta report) and I've been playing it in a deathwish deck with good results. Imo from worst to best could be the 2nd worst with this order: NR-MO-SY-ST-SK-NG
What I don't understand from Mo location is the reason of "put the highest power card on top".

Even if it is in Meta report, I just think there are better alternatives. It ruins one spot in swarm but offers the reward of a third Chimerae.
The additional Succubus might be a usecase for this location. In deathwish it might be even used for an additional consume if you run out of consumes. Nevertheless, it´s order is by far the weakest and least synergizing.

Regarding NR location card: It was auto include in old Uprising swarm. The +3 deck boost can be awesome to protect engine cards later tutored via Amphibious Assault.

Dol Dhu Lokke supports swarm decks the best but the other options are bad.
This is the problem of all location cards there is 1 very good option the rest is bad and/or has no synergy with the order ability.

Imlerith, She Who Knows...

Top Bottom