Double Tapping for Dodge is AWFUL

+
Even The Witcher 3 had a dedicated dodge button. CDPR PLEASE. The amount of times I'm trying to stealth and creep around a corner to ping enemies and then i SUDDENLY DODGE OUT INTO THE OPEN happens so often that i wanna throw my hands up in the air and slam my face into the keyboard. Not to mention that double tapping causes your character to actually delay movement for a split second, because you're RELEASING THE MOVEMENT KEY FIRST. I can forgive a lot, but this is so poorly thought out that it sounds like an early alpha feature that never got touched afterwards.

I know there's quite a few posts about this, but holy crap I needed to get that off my chest.

Even The Witcher 3 had a dedicated dodge button. CDPR PLEASE. The amount of times I'm trying to stealth and creep around a corner to ping enemies and then i SUDDENLY DODGE OUT INTO THE OPEN happens so often that i wanna throw my hands up in the air and slam my face into the keyboard. Not to mention that double tapping causes your character to actually delay movement for a split second, because you're RELEASING THE MOVEMENT KEY FIRST. I can forgive a lot, but this is so poorly thought out that it sounds like an early alpha feature that never got touched afterwards.

I know there's quite a few posts about this, but holy crap I needed to get that off my chest.
thing is i could deal with the double tapping, my problem is being unable to dodge while moving. i was fighting a cyberpsycho that closes on you so i was backpeddeling but i couldnt dodge while moving and its infuriating

This and double-tapping to stow your weapon using the same button that cycles through equipped weapons. Dedicated key bindings for those things would be infinitely better.

I found a way to work around this until something is implemented. I play with a K/M setup so mileage will vary on this of course. For me personally, i can still dodge by double tapping my crouch button (binded to mouse button) while pressing the appropriate direction key.

Its the best way to deal with it at the moment....but its a lot better than mucking up a good sneak or falling to your death from tall heights.

you can fix this yourself in the file r6\config\inputContexts.xml and r6\config\inputUserMappings.xml. i deleted the crouch keys to dodge as well because it would constantly fire when i didn't want it to

in user mappings assign the dodge key you want in this section (for example I'm using the Y key):
<!-- Controller specific dodge -->
<mapping name="Dodge_Button" type="Button" >
<button id="IK_Y" />
<button id="IK_Pad_B_CIRCLE" />
</mapping>

then in input contexts change the counts of directional ones to 99 and the dodge one to 1
<!-- MULTITAP ACTIONS -->
<multitap action="Dodge" count="1" uptime="0.2" downtime="0.2" /> <!-- Kerenzikov Dodge -->
<multitap action="DodgeForward" count="99" uptime="0.2" downtime="0.2" cancels="Right;Back;Left" />
<multitap action="DodgeRight" count="99" uptime="0.2" downtime="0.2" cancels="Forward;Back;Left" />
<multitap action="DodgeBack" count="99" uptime="0.2" downtime="0.2" cancels="Right;Forward;Left" />
<multitap action="DodgeLeft" count="99" uptime="0.2" downtime="0.2" cancels="Right;Back;Forward" />

Yeah the input timing for dodges is just plain weird. They tried to do D2 dodging but it really didn't pan out. Also anyone think that the dodge distance seams pretty meager ?

Yeah the input timing for dodges is just plain weird. They tried to do D2 dodging but it really didn't pan out. Also anyone think that the dodge distance seams pretty meager ?
once i got it remapped to a single key (i used one of my horizontal scroll wheel buttons for it), i found it's very good for close combat and i don't feel like the distance is too short. as long as you dodge away from their attack then you're basically safe

This here mod allows you to rebind almost all keys and functions, AS WELL AS adds an option to disable double-tap-dodge in favor of a dedicated button. Super simple to install. I use it because I prefer the ESDF control scheme, but 'f' can't be reassigned currently without modding.
Personally, I got used to double-tap-dodge back in the days of Unreal Tournament GOTY. Yes, the first one. I still have a full 2 CD install that is modded to hell and back LOL. Just copy it onto any computer (well, at least back then) and it would run just fine, no install needed. I wonder if it still works under Win 7. I rather doubt it LOL

I'm not a master with a M&K or anything, but the double tapping isn't that bad (for me at least).

Besides, I mostly sprint to avoid charging enemies. Or blast a shotgun in their face to stagger them.

I agree, CDPR should definitely have special keybind designed for dodging. It's so frustrating to adjust your position minorly and there's this sudden movement. More so if you have the Kerenzikov implant that slows time after you dodge.

Witcher doesn't have crouch btn tho

Neo: What are you trying to tell me? That I can dodge bullets?
Morpheus: No, Neo. I'm trying to tell you that when you're ready, you won't have to.

Top Bottom