Downloading human consciousness?

+
Downloading human consciousness?

I know. I know but before you say anything watch this to the end.

EDIT: And its so like cyberpunk 2077 is coming true :eek:

I was pleasantly surprised at how skeptical Rogan actually seemed in this series. I always thought he's 100% insane asylum material. Perhaps there's some hope for him yet. As for downloading consciousness, the problem therein is simple; copy, or move?

See, if you're copying the "person", there's two outcomes with this: a) You end up with the original, and the copy. Now you've got two people, and the original person still exists. Or, b) you destroy the original, whether at the same time as you're creating the copy (or new brain) or afterwards. Well, you certainly are left with the new copy, but the original person wasn't "moved" anywhere; he was destroyed, killed. This is the case with Star Trek transporters, for example. I call them "suicide machines" for a good reason. Captain Jean-Luc Picard, copy number 21984.

If you're moving the person, however, then the problem is, how exactly do you do that? The only way I see this working would be for the brain and the machine to be merged slowly, part by part, while the consciousness is awake and aware. No copying takes place, and the data is actually moved to the new "brain" while the it and the old brain are one and the same.

So, if you're happy killing yourself while a facsimile of yourself takes your place, then by all means, fantasize about Star Trek transporters and other forms of copy pasting consciousness. :cool:

"If you could be Batman, if you could be Aquaman..."
If I could be Batman, why the fuck would I want to be Aquaman?

The biggest problem with 'actually downloading' the mind into a device is the fact that a human brain works completely differently to any information storage device we currently have the technology to create. Also, the human brain has, roughly, 2.5 Petabytes, (1,000,000 Gigabytes,) of raw storage capacity. It also can store and retieve that data much faster than any device we can currently make.

I do not doubt that at some point we will find a means to achieve this though.

Awesome program though. Nice find Spider.

If I could be Batman, why the fuck would I want to be Aquaman?

The biggest problem with 'actually downloading' the mind into a device is the fact that a human brain works completely differently to any information storage device we currently have the technology to create. Also, the human brain has, roughly, 2.5 Petabytes, (1,000,000 Gigabytes,) of raw storage capacity. It also can store and retieve that data much faster than any device we can currently make.

I do not doubt that at some point we will find a means to achieve this though.

Awesome program though. Nice find Spider.

If the dude from google is right and a modern smartphone would be a size of a blood cell in 15 yrs time then with no further calculations one can tell that even ~2.5 petabytes is not that far away...

If the dude from google is right and a modern smartphone would be a size of a blood cell in 15 yrs time then with no further calculations one can tell that even ~2.5 petabytes is not that far away...

true, but the method in ehich the data is processed would need to change drastically.

The biggest problem for a blood cell -sized smartphone is the power supply unit. In fact, that's the biggest problem for anything and everything cool these days. If we could properly miniaturize a cold fusion reactor (after we first figure out how to get fusion going), there'd be nothing we couldn't do.

The biggest problem for a blood cell -sized smartphone is the power supply unit. In fact, that's the biggest problem for anything and everything cool these days. If we could properly miniaturize a cold fusion reactor (after we first figure out how to get fusion going), there'd be nothing we couldn't do.

Hmmm I bet Joe Rogan would question that you smartass ...

like he questions everything!

Top Bottom