Draft Mode 9.2 Patch Notes

+
It is a VERY strange draft a.k.a. RNG fiesta. It is uncomfortable and weird.
That's all I can say about the new draft at this point.

Before yesterday's update, it was possible to assemble a cool deck. The current selection mode is downright sad - it often gives out sets that cannot be combined with each other at all. And no substitution between rounds will save you because the deck turns out to be just rubbish. So you also have to play (one card and exit) on this garbage in order to try to collect something else.

...and when u manage to put some powerpackeges in it ask you to remove them again.

this mode is just not for gwent. LoRT and Hearthstone use this construction but these are fundamental different games.
say it again and again Draft (like this) is bad and no fun. rather play constructed instead of the same strategy on steroids.

Arena had at least the option of totally crazy random bullshit. fun or not u decide but every game was or could be totally different.
The new patch is even worse then befor.
Do something else! and bless the golden nekkar (when he arrives in 2030)

More feedback like this and it might affect even the most stubborn decision makers at CDPR. Clearly, they are not doing well with this whole Draft venture.

CDPR, return Arena and direct your resources elsewhere.

I've definitely found the new system does make decks better over time. I've finished all 7 games with all of the decks I've built, as the constant evolving really keeps things interesting.

It's not perfect, and it does require you to remove a good package every once in a while, but you can't expect a new system to be flawless right off the bat. You're just setting yourself up for disappointment if you do.

So, I played five or six full runs and I confirm my initial impression: I do not like this Draft.
1. It depends on RNG a lot. Sometimes I was given great packages and was offered to remove not so great packages. In another run vice versa. In two runs I was cruising with my deck, and a couple of times I was really struggling to assemble a working and cohesive deck because I was offered some crap with archetypes that completely lacked synergy with mine.
2. The more you pick certain archetypes, the more game seems to offer it (but not consistently). By the 7th round the deck could become very one-sided. Perhaps for someone it will be fun to have 3-4 Gezras and 4-5 Sentries and Cat Witchers but for me it wasn't so much fun to decimate the opponent in round 3. I prefer balanced games.
3. Some archetypes are powerless against others. I see NG is played often because they have control. I was just playing a great congregate deck but it did not have a single removal. NG opponent plays Cahir and it's insta-quit. Same with harmony but at least that archetype has some basic removals.
4. Not enough removals. This is valid for any deck except NG.
5. Not enough leader abilities. It is like 2 from every faction?
6. Geralts make any deck playable. I noticed that I was offered this trio in every run and it works wonders. I think CDPR put it there to balance whatever 200+ point games you might encounter.

Last edited:
I played more of the Draft and I really started to hate the Move archetype in this version. It is significantly stronger than others. White Frost is usually much weaker than the others. Congregate doesn't get any control tools. The balance is very bad.

Skill does not matter much, it is all about RNG - if you will be getting great packages and if the game lets you keep the great packages.

Trio of Geralts make or break the game. Every time I had them or my opponent had them the game was done. Terrible design and again pure RNG.

Lack of feedback in this thread in the past three weeks gives a good indication how much the player base does not give a fuck about the Draft. Is there more than 10 people playing it I wonder?...

Draft is indeed awful the way it is now and I don't see how this mode will improve with future updates. I think the developers know this as well, given how sporadic updates are for this mode.

The biggest problem with Draft is its very core. Drafting packages of cards. I don't really care about the RNG element, that's a given in most card games, the problem is the selection of cards. Although they claimed they refined the selection process, most of the time you either get some totally unrelated card selections, or you get more of the same which helps you build a cracked deck.

The selection process in arena was better IMO. Giving 1 card choice out of 4 is better than giving packs of 3 cards to choose from. Often times among those packs, even the good ones, you still have a 1-2 card that you don't want.

As it is now, draft veers into 2 extremes, awkward or toxic. Awkward because of underwhelming card selection choices. Toxic because some people hit the jackpot and get insane card selections that builds an unbeatable deck.

Honestly, I believe Draft as it is now should be discarded as a mode. I would much rather make a permanent mode that battle royale seasonal or whatever it is called. At least that one is more entertaining to play. That or bring back arena. Call it draft if you want, but bring back that arena system. Even that wasn't perfect, but it was far better than what we have now.

...I honestly would consider playing draft if there were something to gain from it. Right now, as it is, its a chaotic jumble of cards that don't allow for much synergy across the whole deck—only in small pockets. I must say one of the games where I played out almost a full row of Roach and Knickers was interesting...

DRK3

Forum veteran
First of all, i dont know if this is the latest draft thread, if it isnt, any mod feel free to move this post if they feel its necessary.

I tried Draft recently, the first time since the add/remove packages mechanic was introduced.
I had read before that this was a system used in other CCGs like Legends of Runeterra, which made those respective modes very interesting.

Well, i didnt enjoy it in Gwent's Draft, at all.
I didnt even complete a single run, because i got bored.
After every single match it asks me to mix up our deck. This is a deck you're only going to see during 7 matches max, so its already not long enough for you to get to know your deck well enough.

I would be OK with it if it was a single choice after every match, but after the 2nd or 3rd, the game gave me a succession of 5 or 6 choices i HAD to do!?!? WTF, i dont want to spend 3-5min looking at deck change options, i would even rather just play a worse deck the whole run than spending so much time, so many times doing deck changes that will be gone once the run is over.

Arena, Draft, now this new Draft system, it keeps getting worse and worse for me, meanwhile Blitz Gwent which would surely be more popular than these modes, is relegated to just 1 week every 3 months... :cry:

It's been over a year since I quit Gwent. As an Arena lover, I really tried to give Draft a chance, but every time I came up against Northern Realms/Dandelion & co, Firestorm and then Madoc it enraged me as a dedicated non-meta practitioner to completely stop playing. Seeing the same 3 decks 95 percent of the time became like watching paint dry fast. I still check this board once a week, for a year now, praying Arena will come back. I would definitely drop some loot if my dream were answered. Until then I'll just have to keep wishing and praying.

Top Bottom