Draft Mode Patchnotes 7.4.1

+
I have to say that I do no enjoy Draft mode. I thought it would be a good idea but it just doesn't work for me. I've only played four games, won all of them save one, but I don't like it and haven't tried it since. I'd rather have the old Arena back. Sure, it had its faults, I admit as much, but it was more enjoyable as far as I'm concerned. Now I only play ranked and occasionally Seasonal.

Perhaps some day Arena will come back.

Hey fun that you are doing a new draft mode ;)

Here's some feedback on the UX:
  • I would like to be able to get an overview over my entire deck, in one screen.
Right now we got the compact list. most of the time that list has a scrollbar, so you can scroll to see all cards.
Remember the screen when you decide the last pick in arena? Then you could see all your cards, as thumbnails.
This was the perfect moment to pause and think about your strategy when you could see all cards in the deck, in one screen.

• I think it would be wise not to blur the screen when showing the "waiting for opponent to reconnect..."-dialog.
It would be less frustrating if you could analyze your hand, when those seconds pass by.

good luck with the development of the draft mode!

Haven't found any dedicated place to send feedback on Draft Mode, so I'll leave it here.
For the context, I was big fan of the Arena mode, and even though it was extremely raw as a product, I played it probably more than Ranked. Usually I went for Arena when the meta was annoying, and for me as a player, predictable == annoying. I wouldn't really want to critique Draft in comparison to arena, but it's inevitable.

So my personal impressions are following:
  • playing arena was extremely diverse, you never got the same experience twice, both regarding your deck and opponents. In Draft mode, you get pretty reproducible patterns from deck to deck (some examples below), which makes playing this mode boring after a few weeks
  • I remember, Jason was justifying the decision of making the entrance free, but for me it made this mode less attractive. On the Arena, I would normally build the deck until the end and give it at least one try (because it costs something). There was an incentive to build whatever true random gives you and squeeze maximum out of it. In Draft, I may discard the deck after second/third draft, then after repeating that for dozen of times and not getting any reasonable deck, I'm just leaving the game
  • the concept behind Draft mode is very limited compared to Arena. Because Arena was naturally diverse, almost infinite in possible combos (and didn't required much support in terms of expansions, etc.). It never required regular balance tweaks. With Draft mode, it's more like Ranked, you play it one week and than wait for the new patch to have it rebalanced
  • some packages are occurring too often, example: I get "Dandelion+Isbel+Matta" almost every draft, sometimes twice
  • some "weighted randomness" is too obvious and predictable, example: take Amphibious Assault as first pick, you'll guaranteed to get Roche in the next two
Of course, it's an early access now, and some particular things will be polished at some point, but maybe it's not late to change the concept a bit, while Draft is still in beta. To make the experience more genuinely random, not deterministically random. Anyway, I like the new mode too, just missing the experience which Arena was giving.

Last edited:
Hehehe, it's still possible to draft massive thinning. I had a Volunteer trio as well, so 9 thinning in total.
1606480257789.png

Get rid of the triple Madoc package immediately! So ridiculously oppressive. Once the Madocs are out, you drop a bomb and you're doing 10 points of damage every single turn (and 3 additional carry over damage). It's nearly impossible to keep any units on the board against this unless you have all 10-12 power cards. This is ruining draft mode.

Get rid of the triple Madoc package immediately! So ridiculously oppressive. Once the Madocs are out, you drop a bomb and you're doing 10 points of damage every single turn (and 3 additional carry over damage). It's nearly impossible to keep any units on the board against this unless you have all 10-12 power cards. This is ruining draft mode.
I forfeit immediately if I see Madoc. Don' want to waste my time.

If you're gonna copy Legends of Runeterra concept of the draft mode, at least do it right.

awesome suggestion, because it makes no sense, i would explain (but that doesnt seem to be the theme here)
Post automatically merged:

I forfeit immediately if I see Madoc. Don' want to waste my time.

I have actually joined the forums recently, to suggest they remove Madoc draft - it is not fun.
Post automatically merged:

Triple Madoc is ZERO fun to play against, it is frustrating, unless you are the lock master and you run lock just to avoid Madoc this is the only solution, save yourself the time - Madoc 0 out of 10 will forfeit again

Unfortunately the devs are obviously no players...

This is currently most annoying about draft mode: You frequently run into madoc decks there since many abuse the game and simply always start a new draft until they get these nearly unbeatable Madoc-Decks with 3 Madocs.

But even without Madoc they would certainly draft till they have an op-deck. Therefore you should be forced to play a certain number of games before you are even allowed to make a new draft. Otherwise the whole game mode is bad and unfair.

DRK3

Forum veteran
Draft mode is still unplayable.

Didnt touch it for like 3 months, came back to see if it had improved, regarding the playerbase... no, it only got worse, only the worst scum of the playerbase, rerolling drafts until they get their triple madocs and NR charge heavy decks, i imagine most matches are mirrors by these toxic players.

i wish there would be an alternate matchmaking for players who didnt redraft, i would even prefer going blue coin everytime as long as its with other players who didnt redraft, than what we currently have, where 90+% are redrafters.

Sadly this was all too predictable.

CDPR have struggled throughout to find enough time and resources to do lots of things that have really needed doing for years. Balancing the standard game has also been an ongoing issue. I had little hope that they would therefore be up to the challenge they were setting themselves of creating, regularly updating and balancing a whole new Draft mode as well.

Perhaps they have been incredibly busy secretly working on it in the background and are about to spring a pleasant surprise on us...

They really should reconsider bringing back Arena (with a few obvious simple improvements) to exist alongside Draft mode. That way, at least those of us who want an escape from the oppressive metas and broken seasonal modes have somewhere left to escape to.

Top Bottom