Dragon Age: Inquisition

+

Attachments

• 5006649+_8ed173cc7423d9563151568d1a814c96.jpg
    5006649+_8ed173cc7423d9563151568d1a814c96.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 41
everything you said was wrong. bioware's writing isn't better than 90% of the games, it's worse than 90% of the games, and the fact that they do focus on writing makes that quite sad.

You exaggerate @LordCrash. By the end of the day, are the recent products of Bioware been really THAT bad?
That bad is relative. DA:Origins was a good game but it only had mediocre art design and an "ok" combat design. DA2 was worse in almost every category...

Mass Effect 3 and Dragon Age 2 are both far from perfect games, but they are still fun to play and have more quality in writing than about 90% other games out there. And isnt that what we all here really want from our games? That they would all focus more to writing in the future?
Writing was ok, but for their own standards they got weaker and weaker. And let's be honest, their whole template has become boring. It's the same all over again with each game they make. And I don't think that they should focus EVERYTHING in writing in the future. I value a well written game very high myself but without engaging combat and pleasing visuals and atmosphere this is not enough in an RPG. At least not enough to call it a great game and surely not enough for a developer who once created something like Baldur's Gate 2.

Whatever you think of Bioware, you cant deny that their success is giving an encouragement boost to gaming industry to give themselves a new direction.
You guess I deny that. I would even say that the opposite is true. With their catering to the console audience they abandoned PC gaming and tactical deep RPGs as a whole. But does that mean that they've killed the genre (as they pretty much like to think since they spit on their own heritage...)? No. Recent successes like Divinigy: Original Sin proved that the genre is far from that and that a lot of people expect more from their RPGs than just a romance simulation with some mediocre game and art design...

OF course Bioware is successful. They seem to have their audience. But that doesn't mean that they're on the right path.

90% of games out there don't have a story or they don't really put that much effort into making a good story, but for many of games the focus is elsewhere in the gameplay or in the world design.

Bioware sells their games based on story quality, their dialogue system in itself is a huge draw to their games and the simple reality is that ever since DA2 came out the quality of their writing has sucked big time, some would go as far as Mass Effect 2 in criticism Bioware writing but I disagree with that: Mass Effect 2 was awesome in terms of squad character writing and interaction, at least for the most part. That the main story sucked doesn't matter because they didn't really focus on that and they admitted it.

Most if not all the Indies or smaller company games I've played recently have better story, narrative and interaction than Bioware games. That's pathetic for Bio considering how much they spend in production.

Well, for me the last Bioware game that I fully completed was Dragon Age: Origins. I mean main game, Awakening expansion, DLC etc. Liked the game a lot.

I played through ME2 but didn't bother with any of the major DLCs and I dropped ME3 halfway through because imo it was boring as hell. Played Dragon Age 2 about an hour or so.

So yeah. Something has definitely gone wrong with Bioware in recent years.

Mass Effect 3 and Dragon Age 2 are both far from perfect games, but they are still fun to play and have more quality in writing than about 90% other games out there. .

I'm not sure I agree with that.
There are a lot of games, not even RPGs, that are better written for what they are and the tone / story they want to tell (for one, they know what story they want to tell). I think Assassin's Creed 1 / Revelations / III have better writing DA2 and ME3 (the latter main plot wise, some subplots were written well, and themes wise). I think Tomb Raider had better writing. I think Remember Me had better writing. Call of Duty 2 Black Ops not only had a better story, but also better Choices & Consequences. I think RTSs like Command and Conquer 3 (+ expansion), Universe at War, StarCraft 1 (not 2, it's shit), WarCraft III...etc are better. That's not even mentioning RPGs of the likes of the Witcher or Alpha Protocol.

For games that claim to be story driven games, they are not delivering the story aspect that well. Which of course is not to say that they do everything wrong. ME3 still had excellent moments and subplots. But as far a it and DA2 are concerned, they have very weak main plots, are confused about the tone of the game, and are lacking / contradictory in the themes they want to illustrate.

Last edited:
"BioWare is as magical a place today as it was when I started."

Its dumb to earn a bad reference on the way out the door, but who thinks what he wanted to say was:

"It's like working at the Mad-Hatters Tea Party !"

I don't know who invented the horrible Paragon/Renegade mechanic which practically stole all the decisions in the game from me (want to be a good guy => always click blue text or the upper-right option), and who came up with the infamous ending, but he certainly shares a lot of resposibility for both of these design choices.

So I hope that his departure is for the better. Maybe the next Mass Effect game under the direction of someone else will drop Paragon/Renegade and will have a sensible ending.

Bioware are doing that other thing today too eh... my spambox got one of those mails again this morning, never actually read one though... it said "Bioware", and a date, then my mind just moved on. Maybe if they changed their name, staff, industry...

I really like how they brought back Hawke and the Warden. I sure hope my character doesn't end up looking like the one in the trailers though cuz he looks scrawny as fuck. I hope they don't go the lazy route and not import the armors as well because those default armors a really shitty.

So just came over my RSS feed, "Shadow Realms" online game announced by Bioware. Honestly I can't even click through for more.

Took these from BSN.

Yeah, that is Hawke alright. Never liked the character, but I give it to BW for bringing him / her back. Would have never expected any of the previous protagonists to make an appearance. Sadly, the other guy is not The Warden.

Took these from BSN.

Yeah, that is Hawke alright. Never liked the character, but I give it to BW for bringing him / her back. Would have never expected any of the previous protagonists to make an appearance. Sadly, the other guy is not The Warden.

aw man..

Top Bottom