Dragon Age: Inquisition

+
A lot of things in this game reminds me of a movie I saw multiple times a long time ago, in terms of lighting, photography, design, tone (especially that green glow)... Boorman's Excalibur. I couldn't help but remember Mordred, Morgane's son in the legend, who had "a lot of issues" indeed. I liked Merlin so much.

Last edited:
What the bloody hell did John Boorman ever do to you? There's no need for that kind of nastiness, whatever it was, he's an old man for Zod's sake!

Zod not Zardos.

Though joking I don't really see it. The fantastic cinematography of Excalibur and Boormans troupe is sharp, distinct and glorious, DA3 looks a little washed out and pastel-ish. The art design is very realistic and the gothic armour and imagery (which are utterly out of time by about a millenium) are extremely well rendered, whereas DA's are far more stylised and impractical. The characters of Excalibur are also very much of their time and place, rooted in their reality, whereas we know that DA's are always fairly much modern "snarky" people, with modern sensibilities.

I agree that Nicol Williamson was the best Merlin ever to grace the small and large screen. Anál nathrach, orth’ bháis’s bethad, do chél dénmha.

I kinda see a resemblance myself, and wonder if it's deliberate. Especially in the tonality and color schemes. Excalibur...watched that as youngling when my folks had rented it and went to bed. What a trippy fuckin' movie. Amazing visuals.

Excalibur was originally going to be Boorman's take on Lord of the Rings, fell through so he adapted Mallory's L'Morte D'Arthur instead.

Mallory, now that was an interesting bastard, right piece of work.

Back in the day, Excalibur was one of my favourite movies of all time ( I think it was the first DVD that I bought :p). I kind of consider it a flawed masterpiece today. It starts and builds up great, but at the end sort of goes flat slowly. I believe they butchered it somewhat in the editing room, but I can be mistaken.
It's ironic that a story like that, that could ve diserved 3 full films, got crammed in less than 2 hours, and nowadays we have to suffer cash-grabs like Jackson's "The Hobbit" streeeetched out into 3...

To remain on topic... I hate what Bioware has turned into too. :p

You must be joking.

Hahahaha ><

Is not funny!
...Goddammit someone tell me this is a joke in bad taste! and morrigan's child is really just an Arya or Ciri type of gal that dresses as a boy.
Tell me that she isnt some hermaphrodite just because of some SJW type of liberal BS.

I see some similarities in the armor design, ie; it's more detailed, historically based and straptastic. CDPR artists love their straps, it looks good but you have to wonder at their function. :p Also, Cassandra can blast people off ledges, like Aard. There's the Barrier spell which is like Quen, a time slowdown spell which is a lot like Heliotrope. They're emphasizing preparation before fights - no heal/ability spamming to act as a bandaid mid-combat, a big element of Witcher design. All this is fine, just influences and there's nothing wrong with that. But Bioware will sometimes copy major story premises and that's when I call bullshit.

In their defense is kinda hard to have that original of a premises on fantasy stories anymore. ( hav3ent seen one in a book in a while) most have been done and dragon age is supposed to take inspiration from other low fantasy works, including sapowstki's.
So i dont think we should hold them against them if they where inspired by his novels either.

Last edited:
Both look very similar. I really hope the character is really just a she if so i really like her design. Reminds me alot to arya.

Maybe someone who's been following the story and rumors and discussions in BSN can fill me in - what's the general theory about the God child's role?

Maybe someone who's been following the story and rumors and discussions in BSN can fill me in - what's the general theory about the God child's role?
It's basically the image of a race of goldlike fade creatures that every 50000 years harvest nearly all the organic life from Thedas in order to prevent them from being killed by fade creatures. At the end you'll get to pick between 3 options: cyan, lime and orange.

Top Bottom