Dragon Age: Inquisition

+
This is exactly why I'm worried that TW3 will be open-world. Maybe they won't have time to take care of this stuff. This whole open-world with a good story attempt seems like a huge gamble to me.

KnightofPhoenix said:
EDIT; i`d be more enthusiastic about playing Fallout, except I am not a fan of post-apocalyptic genre. But i might in the future.
Fair enough. But Fallout New Vegas is more Post post apocalyptic. There are already formed nations, which are at war with each other. One of the major complains about the game was that it don't feels "post apocalyptic" enough.
From your posts i get the vibe you like politics and having a proactive protagonist trying to shift the power balance between nations. FNV does that better than most RPGs i have played. Even from W2 because the Courier has more agency and freedom to change the political landscape than Gerald does.

Yea if there is a Fallout I`d be interested in, it would be FNV. But I`m currently strapped for time and already playing an Open World game that is time consuming, so it won`t be any time soon. But I do have it on my scopes.

Well, concerning Fallout NV I personally don't like these nations, or whatever they may be called. Caesar's legion - wtf? I mean, seriously, guys dressed like legionaries and adapting Roman names and titles? It smells more of a parody, not a serious story. I played the game, but for the life of me I was simply unable to take any of it seriously.

I don't consider it the best game ever, but my dislike is from hating the atrocity that is Gamebryo engine and not liking open world games in general, and not for the game's content.

In fact FNV is the game that makes me optimistic about W3 combining a strong narrative with open world exploration. If Obsidian managed it in 18 months, i don't see why CDPR with a better engine, more time,more money and without a publiser above their heads can't do the same.

Blothulfur said:
Bloody hell does that announcer know how to speak in anything but cliches? You can't really blame Dragon Age for being generic though, that's the audience it goes for, those who want dull predictable power fantasies, a la Shepard, Hawke or whatever other retard's the protagonist this time. That's the mass market, who want safe and familiar shit, with their character being the only person able to do anything in a world of idiots, smart move.

They've been copying the Witcher for ages as well so that's hardly new, ripping off the Elves and Humans dynamic in Origins (to far lesser effect,) and their shit writers trying to be as edgy and totally missing the point.

I recall bringing the elf dynamic up on their forums a few years back, just after playing Witcher and then Dragon Age right after. It pissed off Gaider who responded with his usual snide remarks, so I let it drop. I didn't know the comparison had already been made dozens of times before. Being inspired by something is fine, but Bioware has a bad habit of lifting stuff verbatim.

vivaxardas said:
Well, concerning Fallout NV I personally don't like these nations, or whatever they may be called. Caesar's legion - wtf? I mean, seriously, guys dressed like legionaries and adapting Roman names and titles? It smells more of a parody, not a serious story. I played the game, but for the life of me I was simply unable to take any of it seriously.

Honestly they didn't come off as goofy as I thought it was when I read their backstory before release. Dunno how it could not be taken at least somewhat seriously, but eh, I've always respected your opinions.

At least for your sake the concept art of their chariots did not come to fruition. :)/>

As for NCR they seem pretty serious and normal, but they just got so much damned content to themselves.

Overall though the Fallout universe could be taken as a gigantic parody or reference.

But who should listen to me, I'm the oddball who like 3 more than NV! :p

Csszr said:
But who should listen to me, I'm the oddball who like 3 more than NV!
Heretic.

sidspyker said:

Not exactly. He is justified in that FO3 has the best atmosphere in all 4 games. The problem is that FO3 has NO relation to any other fallout game, not in lore, not in story, not in quality. FO3 is like a bad version of S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Sycophant said:
Not exactly. He is justified in that FO3 has the best atmosphere in all 4 games. The problem is that FO3 has NO relation to any other fallout game, not in lore, not in story, not in quality. FO3 is like a bad version of S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
That statement wasn't meant to be taken seriously :p

slimgrin said:
I recall bringing the elf dynamic up on their forums a few years back, just after playing Witcher and then Dragon Age right after. It pissed off Gaider who responded with his usual snide remarks, so I let it drop. I didn't know the comparison had already been made dozens of times before. Being inspired by something is fine, but Bioware has a bad habit of lifting stuff verbatim.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/EnslavedElves

And TES games did it way before The Witcher.

Oh my goodness, the YouTube comment section makes me want to kill myself. How can people judge the the game (and especially the graphics) when it is still PRE-ALPHA and the video is so blurry.

vivaxardas said:
Caesar's Legion was meant to be more developed, so that you'd see the order in their society and that they bring actual advantages to a wasteland. The play-acting is not so unusual. Reminds me of the Ptolemies who were Greeks that play-acted being pharoahs. The Romans themselves were faking fakers who adopted a lot of Greek culture. To primitives, learning about the Roman empire for the first time, they would have seemed like models of cultural purity before the corruption of modern life set in. I like that Eddie got his inspiration from the do-gooder Followers. Idealism gone wrong.

Of course the Fallout universe has some humor, too, so you're not meant to take it as a docu-drama. It's a 1950's science fiction movie. If you don't have some cheesiness, where's the fun in that?

Cormacolindor said:
Oh my goodness, the YouTube comment section makes me want to kill myself. How can people judge the the game (and especially the graphics) when it is still PRE-ALPHA and the video is so blurry.

Because the internet as a whole hates everything.

@Sidspyker: Blasphemer

;)

Whereas I prefer Kinslayer

I suppose though I should put my reasonings of preference before I am excommunicated. I'll do this so as to not take up the whole page.

Pros of 3 vs. NV

FO3 Pros
-I generally just prefer the story in 3 over NV
-Very subjective. I felt there was a few more nobody voice actors. Of course anything with Bethesda stamped on it will have a lot of the same vo's. Surprising that they hired Neeson.
-The character, Dad really stood out to me(good thing they spent that extra buck on real voice talent).
-The dlc's were better, that said I still have not played the last NV dlc.
-More memorable sidequests.
-Atmosphere

NV Pros
-Companion quests
-More sidquests
-ability to "join" a faction
-weapon mods
-Watching Yes Man throw General Oliver over the dam

FO3 Cons
-Lack of choice of choosing Brotherhood or Enclave effectively.
-Not being able to kill that little shit Mayor Mcreedy
-Not a large roster of enemies
-Was not crazy about the metro, but understandable
-A lot of environments could be a lot of the same, NV didn't do much better, but it still did

NV Cons
-Another really subjective one, I ran into a lot more bugs than I did in 3. And not the funny kind.
-NCR faction got way more spotlight as far as sidequests go, whereas the Legion had few and House had none(Unless you count the families)
-The way factions were setup, I.E. You just did these people a huge damned favour yet your just looked upon as a great friend or ally and can't actually join the faction
-Another faction setup complaint. The whole main quests involving four potential allies felt like an outright mess to me
-The map. I usually try not to use the map marker but it has to be set and it could confuse the daylight out of you

Neutral
-Both games had good and bad companions, favourites being Charon and Faux, Grandma and Boone

All that said I really love both games and hope Bethesda does not dumb down like the transition of TES 4-5.

Cormacolindor said:

Because that video is being posted 10 times a day on /v/ as proof of how Dragon Age Inquisition is a 10/10 RPG and Bioware's return to form. People get pissed at marketers sometimes.

Besides, the graphics are nothing amazing. Most of it is because of Frostbite 3, but the art direction is utterly uninspired, and some of the techniques they're using (parallax tracing? Seriously?) makes me want to facepalm. But that is going off-target - basically my gripe is the art direction and the general look of the game that screams Amalur:Reckoning, Skyrim, and Witcher 2 combined into... something that does not hold any of the good things of the games it plagiarized from.

Witcher 2 choice and consequence - botched. In any sane world the people of the village in the video would be evacuated to the keep. Skyrim open world? Botched - it's more Zelda-esque than Skyrim, and the vast empty open world hides the uninspired map design (caves.) Also the armor and weapons look beyond retarded. Magic is cool as hell, though - that firestorm from PAX, and some of the spells in this one are definitely well-executed.

What we're seeing - and rest assured I have accounted for blurry footage - is not convincing me. Also, a minor gripe - why are there no sheaths in the game? Floaty weapons in 2013 hacks me off.

EDIT : Forgot to mention - those reskinned keeps. Holy hell, what was wrong with unique designs?

Sycophant said:
Because that video is being posted 10 times a day on /v/ as proof of how Dragon Age Inquisition is a 10/10 RPG and Bioware's return to form. People get pissed at marketers sometimes.

Besides, the graphics are nothing amazing. Most of it is because of Frostbite 3, but the art direction is utterly uninspired, and some of the techniques they're using (parallax tracing? Seriously?) makes me want to facepalm. But that is going off-target - basically my gripe is the art direction and the general look of the game that screams Amalur:Reckoning, Skyrim, and Witcher 2 combined into... something that does not hold any of the good things of the games it plagiarized from.

Witcher 2 choice and consequence - botched. In any sane world the people of the village in the video would be evacuated to the keep. Skyrim open world? Botched - it's more Zelda-esque than Skyrim, and the vast empty open world hides the uninspired map design (caves.) Also the armor and weapons look beyond retarded. Magic is cool as hell, though - that firestorm from PAX, and some of the spells in this one are definitely well-executed.

What we're seeing - and rest assured I have accounted for blurry footage - is not convincing me. Also, a minor gripe - why are there no sheaths in the game? Floaty weapons in 2013 hacks me off.

The open world is not like Skyrim, more like BG2. Art style is a matter of preference. I like exagerrated art styles (like wow) realistic (TW, Skyrim) and somewhere in between (DA). I like how the game looks.

And before you go on about how it copied so many games, allow me to repost this image http://www.gamrmag.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/The_Witcher_3_Wild_Hunt_Last_man_standing_psd_jpgcopy.jpg .See? It works both ways. And before you ask, I'm not just talking about the horns, I'm talking about the environment that looks like a homage to the Rift from Skyrim.

Oh, and TW2 consequences are FAR from perfect because it COMPLETELY disregards your choices in TW1. Allow me to repost this.

Cormacolindor said:
In terms of which character is better, it really depends on who you are comparing. I think everyone is better than sexbot Triss or Dandelion. The fact that if you chose Shani in TW an woke up with Triss in TW2 left me with a really bad taste in my mouth and it boggles my mind that no one noticed that. They could have replaced Shani with Triss in that scene who told Geralt that she had urgent business elsewhere, then Triss shows up (instead of the guard lol). Take that "meaningful choices"! It also seems that every choice in TW1 didn't matter at all. It doesn't matter if you sided with Yaevinn or Siegfried, who is reduced to a cameo.Nobody cares. It would have been nice to have Iorveth at least mention that you sided with the Scoiatael. Maybe some nicer intro-dialogue? A prerequisite to join the squirrels? If Roche found out...oh boy.

Now Letho on the other hand...he's real deal and is easily on par with BioWare's best characters.

Top Bottom