Dragon Age: Inquisition

+
Fallow Mire is a bit difficult at low level. I'd do your companion recruitment quests and Val Royeux first.

Yeah, well... I might have overstayed a little in the Hinterlands :p I did everything that I could do, sans killing Dragon and collecting all the mosaic pieces. I was level 8 or 9 when I left :p

Went for the Storm Coast as was advised. Thankfully much smaller, "just" ten regions instead of twenty, fucking, nine. Did everything I could, then moved on to the Fallow Mire. I think I was level 10 when I got there. Again, I did everything there was to do at that time, found the scouts, killed that Avvar and then went to Val Royeaux. Recruited Sera and Vivienne. Level 11 now, nice crafted weapons and gear for me and my team. And by the way, I found this thread on Bioware forums about builds and used one for my mage. Fire Mine is indeed powerful :D

Tomorrow I will recruit Iron Bull and Blackwall.

I guess I could have gone to Val Royeaux first, but oh well... at least I had plenty of time to get acquainted with the combat system.

Last edited:
I like the Hinterlands. I find it relaxing. It reminds me of the countryside around my home village.

The Hinterlands was what almost made me quit this game forever.

But, I actually do like being there, now that I know what the game has to offer. It is indeed peaceful.

---------- Updated at 05:39 PM ----------

People here like the bears and hyenas???? are they masochists???

I love bears. Bears and Snakes, my favorite animals. Strong in body, stronger in mind. That's my life philosophy.

And I honestly don't know why people complain so much about bears in this game. I only found them irritating on nightmare. In which case I go around them on my mount.

I don't know about a patch fixing this, the 30 FPS lock in cutscenes pissed me off, if that is the only way to make lip-synching work in a game, do not do it :p

Well damn. No DA: I for me then. Although to be honest it doesn't feel like I'm missing out on much. I made it to the Hinterlands, and the story/writing hadn't particularly impressed me. Combat was also literally the same as DA2 (yes I played that game) since the return of the tactical camera turned out to be useless. Graphics were quite good even on low except for character models - those weren't too good. Blegh.

Once I get a desktop, I might pick this up and speedrun the story before returning it. It's a shame the game isn't giving me a good impression though. I loved DA: Origins, and this game was supposedly a return to form.

Well damn. No DA: I for me then. Although to be honest it doesn't feel like I'm missing out on much. I made it to the Hinterlands, and the story/writing hadn't particularly impressed me. Combat was also literally the same as DA2 (yes I played that game) since the return of the tactical camera turned out to be useless. Graphics were quite good even on low except for character models - those weren't too good. Blegh.

Once I get a desktop, I might pick this up and speedrun the story before returning it. It's a shame the game isn't giving me a good impression though. I loved DA: Origins, and this game was supposedly a return to form.

Just keep playing. Gets better.

You can fix the 30 fps locked cutscenes quite easily actually. Just open Origin, right click on Dragon Age Inqusition boxart and select Game Properties. Then just paste there -GameTime.MaxSimFps 60 -GameTime.ForceSimRate 60+

Just don't start a new game with this enabled or you will be stuck under the map after character creation. Other than that, worked fine for me so far.

Good to be reading that the game will get better after the Hinterlands, because right now everything feels disjointed and shallow - most of the side quests being found on letters or being presented with a minimum of dialogue is a letdown, albeit not unexpected as I feared that would happen when upsizing the world that much. Really leaves much to be desired.

Combat is a huge mess, so far. It seems to be a very unpleasant bastard child of tactical indirectly controlled combat and action combat. It lacks precision, "sharpness" and especially a larger moveset and interesting encounter mechanic geared towards action to be any good as action combat. At the same time, most encounters are trivial enough to not require managing your party and the companion AI seems competent enough to act well enough on their own - plus, the whole presentation and interface really don't lend themselves to fiddle too much with micro management. A very strange and most often not very satisfying experience. But who knows, maybe it does get better as well when I get further into the game.

I agree with most of what you said @aaden. I especially dislike "the return" of tactical camera. It was supposed to make combat easier to manage, but instead it makes it more difficult. No angle or distance control? Are you kiddin' me?! I can't even use it properly, damn it. Scratch that, I figured it out :p Was pretty useful during the dragon fight.

Combat is mixed bag for me. I have yet to play as rogue and warrior, but being a mage is pretty fun when you're specced right. Sometimes it's even slightly tactical, with the barrier and debuffs, heh. Doesn't change the fact that you're basically watching your cooldowns and constantly mindlessly clicking the basic attack button during combat.

Anyway, signups for Patch 5 beta was announced yesterday... and lasted about 4 hours. I signed up for it, but don't see myself getting in :p

On more positive note, I still can't believe how well my character turned out. I've seen soooo many ugly toons on BSN, with them ugly plasticky complexions - I was afraid it would be same in my case, heh. Damn that chiseled jaw.

Last edited:
Hm. I didn't think the game was better after the Hinterlands. Don't try to do everything in the first map, that's all. Play the main quests.
I enjoyed the Exalted Plains way way more than the Hinterlands though.

Top Bottom