Dragon Age: Inquisition

+
As someone who might get interested in DA:I just to have fun, I've learned not to take the quotes too seriously. Yes, they would be ridiculous in the context of a game that takes itself fully seriously. I don't see DA:I in such a light, regardless of what the developers intend.

BioWare revealed more characters today:

Oh my god. Is he holding a hamster? Really? Is DA:I becoming Hamtaro or what? Way to go, BioWare, we are grown-ups now.

Are pigs a new race in Thedas?

Ok... I won't romance him that's for sure. Where are the normal people BioWare??

Surely BioWare pandering to LGBT again... And the color palette. I don't even...

XENA WARRIOR PRINCESS IS OVER.

And he is wearing earrings. I really don't know, they should fire their artists right naow because they have too many moneys.

Ok, this is where my hopes for the game are completely gone. The goold old times are over.

edit: and the characters quotes... Man... it keeps getting worse.
View attachment 4358

View attachment 4359

:facepalm:

Attachments

• daiminsc.jpg
    daiminsc.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 30
  • daigarrick.jpg
    daigarrick.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Yeah, I generally don't understand people defending BioWare's old titles when compared to their newer ones (ME1, DA:O). They were always generic, the characters were always wonky, the lines - cheesy etc. I do not believe they were better games. The way BioWare operate, their attitude and the lack of progress is what irks me. I don't want the good old days, I want the best of the good old days improved, and the worst - reworked.

Have they done that? No. They were doing alright with DA:O and ME1, but that's also where they started going the wrong way, which affected parts of ME2 and then their later titles. Instead of giving more depth to their characters, they give their sexual orientation more width. Instead of a more advanced tactical system, we get the same one we've had before, dumbed down, and with more anime-style animations and focus on action etc.

All I want is another DA:O with encounters that are designed even better, characters that are more interesting and intelligently written (you can write a dumb character in an inteligent way, instead of having an intelligent character written in a dumb way,) that don't make me feel like the main character is the only person who isn't insane/stupid. You don't need to make everyone incompetent so that another character seems smart by comparison, make them actually be smart instead. You know, evolve instead of stagnate. At this point though, BioWare actually need to backtrack to where they've already been before they can start moving forward again. I would not at all be disappointed if DA:I turned out to be a better-looking DA:O. But I expect them to then build upon that for their next title, instead of going down the DA2 route again.

I'd disagree, BG2 was their high point in terms of a full game, of course there were shit bits like Minsc but he was designed for the squeeing crowd anyway. That said coming straight from a playthrough of the complete Ultima VII it cannot be argued that BG was an action rpg, with a massive emphasis on combat, and stripped of all the great features that the Ultima's pioneered. Of course Ultima combat was automated and shit, but personally I don't think it was a fair trade, good combat for a whole living world. At the end of the day BG was a clear dumbing down.

BG2 however built on this and added quite a lot, as sequels should and though it did not escape its roots as a lifeless arpg, it did provide a damn lot of content and quality. Of course it was allready showing the hints of idiocy that Bioware loves, a but thou must plot, a very traditional presentation, a resistance to taking risks and of course the lowest common denominator cringeworthy humour that their "writers" are famous for. Oscar Wilde would turn in his grave.

NWN was a clear drop in quality and features, with not even basic coherency or reasoning behind it, and only the modding and online part to save it.

Irenicus was somewhat equal with Master Li as far as i'm concerned, but overall Jade Empire was a disappointing game, headed downhill in the direction they've maintained. It was good to have a new exotic setting, but somehow they made that dull and mundane as hell.

When ME and DA came around they at least pioneered new worlds, and I thought they might go back to building upon their worlds, but with the plunge into idiocy as incompetent Cerberus' errand boy in ME2 and the wholly ridiculous DA2 which cannot be defended, it was clear that they were commited to making shit. DAO wasn't paryicularly good in my eye, with the idiot antagonists, twee writing, mostly unlikable cast and but thou must moments, but it signalled a move back to the BG2 days that unfortunately wasn't pursued.

All told i'd say BG2 was the best they've made, but that's not anywhere near the pinnacle of rpgs.

Edit: Yeah i'll edit cheers.

Last edited:
NWN1, you mean, but yeah, I mostly agree. I just hope they get their act together soon. The more studios making good RPGs the better.

I think they've allready been forced to up their game because of certain other developers shaming them, but at the heart I think their central vision is broken and can't be fixed. Think in a few years it'll be time for papa EA to take them behind the shed, put two in the back of their skull and bury them with all the other bodies.

Edit: That said at least one good thing came out of Bioware, the engine for the Witcher, though i've still no idea how CDPR turned that ugly abomination into such a beautiful game as the Witcher.

Last edited:
OMG, they released new pictures, that must be the worst RPG ever!!11! go to hell Bioware!
sorry, i felt like i am in a teenage girl in pyjamas group.

Last edited:
@ReptilePZ
Aren't DA:O and ME1 very generic too?
While DA2 did everything worse, ME2 was a major improvement upon ME1 for me, at least in terms of gameplay and character interactions/relationships.

DA:I looks like BG more than DA2. Every aspects of DA:O and DA2 I didn't like seem gone. Two years ago they said they wanted to go back and think about Baldur's Gate and -- at least for me -- it shows. I don't want "another DA:O", even improved, myself...

Meanwhile, I still expect to see more because I'm tired of their focusing on environments and characters.

Yes, ME1 and DA:O were generic, that's what I'm saying - it's what BioWare makes. ME2 did indeed improve in some aspects, presentation mostly, but utterly gutted the core gameplay, it was essentally a TPS, no longer an RPG. While the dialogues looked and sounded nice, they were still fairly bland in terms of content. So were the characters and story (the plot was actually worse than usual - it was pointless, you could have done absolutely nothing and it wouldn't have had any real effect in the grand scheme of things.) They did not improve the aspects that matter for an RPG, even sacrificed a few. They stopped trying to improve them and instead focused on the flashy stuff, which is why it also attracted a much wider audience. And that's what led to DA2 being what it is - a bland, streamlined experience. Them rushing it did not help either, as it even lacked the flash that ME2 had.

DA:O was, in my opinion, BioWare's best game. I think it took the best from BG, polished it, combined it with a more functional combat system, it had a far better presentation (due to it being a game made more than 10 years after BG,) and just overall did things better. They even integrated some romance options - Morrigan and Alistair - into the main story, instead of just having them for the sake of having them, something that even their previous titles got wrong. Unfortunately, that didn't get carried over to ME2 and DA2. Of course, this is all down to personal preference, my point is that they've gone down the wrong path after DA:O and ME1, focusing on all the wrong aspects like trying desperately to let the people play their titles as action games, turning characters from interesting, if generic, personalities to nothing more than romance options etc. So, at this point, even going back to something of the quality of their previous works (DA:O would be ideal for me, BG - for you) would be better than continuing their current path, that of action dating sims, but it must also lead to further improvements down the line.

To tell you the truth, I'm not even fond of BG, and you're probably right when you say DA:O was better overall! The facts DA:I looks more inspired by BG (atmosphere, tone) sounds interesting and bizarrely refreshing to me, that's all.
Dragon Age: Inquisition being a Dragon Age is what I dislike the most right now. I really want to see BioWare moving on other new settings instead of milking their franchise (the fact that 5 games are planned looked bold before DA2, now it's a chore).
In any case, I'll always accept a good entertainment.

Bioware took risks in ME1 and DA:O. Loghain was an intelligently written character who isn't fully understood until later in the game. Alistair at first glance seems like a prissy candy ass, the exact opposite of a dashing knight. Samara was a more mature and sophisticated take on the Asari, and no you don't get to shag her because you aren't the center of her universe; she has principles and bigger fish to fry. Ashley was a combative xenophobe, not afraid to get in your face and tell it like it is. Zaeed was downright scary. I was afraid I'd have to fight him in ME2 when I confronted him. There were glimmers of hope in the way they wrote characters back then. It all went to shit after that, and the companion reveals for DA:I look to me like more of the same ego stroking, snarky nonsense.

Last edited:
I'm really not sure about the "risks" taken with ME1 or DA:O.

Maybe risk is the wrong word. But for Bioware, it was pretty bold. I still see those games as their best effort. One of these days I'll play Baldur's Gate to see the glory days.

I see... not so interesting, then.

Were there any ghosts in previous games? Trying to remember whether it´s reasonable within the existing lore to include a character like Cole, or if it´s just an excuse to put an emo character...
I thought he was interesting. The only one in Asunder that I cared about. His exact nature isn't known, but he's not a Fade spirit. Big woobie, though.

OOOHH! HERESY!!

What on hell have they done with Freddy Mercury?????
LOL

The gaydar is off the dial.

Here is the character profile of Dorian if anyone is interested. Gaider described him as "fully gay", in addition to being snarky, witty, idealistic at heart and opposed to the state of things in Tevinter.

Kinda wasted potential if I am to be honest. Him being gay I absolutely don't mind. But what if they made him to be pro-mage and pro-slavery AND still give him those "likeable" qualities. I would have LOVED the conflict there. The hypocrisy.

Hell making him be a bit of an apologist for such a rotten regime that is Tevinter would be more interesting than making him be an obvious "rebel".

Anyway... there is a character kit for Sera too. You know, the lesbian archer Elf. I like the fact she is not some super model hotness.

Very Slavic face in my opinion. I know a ton of girls who have that look [well, maybe not the hair bit].

Last edited:
Surprisely, even to myself, more I see those teenagers unmature pills I beging to want to play this game.... well, in Spain is said A la vejez, viruelas I cannot fear for my sanity yet, it was gone a long time ago...

Top Bottom