Dragon Age: Inquisition

+
Yesh!! Finally showing some CC mecanics at DAI and looking pretty great so far. I probably spend quite a few hours building my character alone....
Gotta say, if all those massive texture variables and face-combinations work in cutscenes as well as the trailers implicate Bioware has truly done some amazing job!

If anything, it shows us that they are giving their best to make this. They can't be lazy when they have TW3 as their competitor.

That's all I have left to say on the subject. That is a problem you and others have with sci fi games and movies in general. I find it really hard to believe something as small as that can ruin a series for someone. Dark energy is tied to the effects of element zero, a made up space magic element whose only purpose was to give us a reason to have a story to explore space and do all this other stuff with it. That's better than a lot of other games and stories that won't even give you that. It simply was never meant to be expanded upon beyond the fact that it indeed works. Science fiction staple, much like the stargates in SG-1 and their element Naquadah. Or the Halo rings in Halo. Things explained outside of the show in more detail and outside the game, for Halo in more detail.

I can comprehend easy someone not liking the game, but just this? There's got to be more than what you've stated.
You're really not getting it. I don't care what dark energy is, except that they brought it up in 2 like it was some looming problem, then dropped it. It's just one example of how trajectories would either go nowhere or change abruptly, the things introduced in 1 took off on a different course in 2. None of that ruins the franchise for me- it's the starchild rationale for the universe that did that. I can't play in a universe with such a fucking stupid lore concept. Though of course, that wasn't the only thing that stopped me from playing ME3- Origin breaking all my game codes was the reason for that.

I'm still not fond of the idea of playing DAI for that reason. After the third game where I couldn't play the game I paid for, I'm more than twice shy about Bioware's DRM ethics.

You're really not getting it. I don't care what dark energy is, except that they brought it up in 2 like it was some looming problem, then dropped it. It's just one example of how trajectories would either go nowhere or change abruptly, the things introduced in 1 took off on a different course in 2. None of that ruins the franchise for me- it's the starchild rationale for the universe that did that. I can't play in a universe with such a fucking stupid lore concept. Though of course, that wasn't the only thing that stopped me from playing ME3- Origin breaking all my game codes was the reason for that.

I'm still not fond of the idea of playing DAI for that reason. After the third game where I couldn't play the game I paid for, I'm more than twice shy about Bioware's DRM ethics.

Well then we did all that discussing for nothing because that was my point and I did get it. ;) I remember talking about this with you before and I knew your main issue with it was one, the starchild, the ending, which did ruin a lot of things, and two, Origin. Rather than an issue with Mass effect itself, mainly. I did get it, you just weren't saying it. That was exactly my original point. I was specifically talking about problems with Mass effect, as in what ruined it for you, which I said was only in the game ME3. And they are, except Origin which isn't about the game itself at all. Those other things you mentioned, like Dark energy, which you also mentioned before more as a side annoyance, those are simply things you disliked about it, not issues with Mass Effect's storytelling that would ruin a series.

I also said that several times, and how there's a difference between problems, and what you dislike.

DAI has a lot of reasons I'm not fond of it, but I was just on Mass Effect, because people acted like there was so much wrong with it before that ending was introduced, and there wasn't.

Last edited:
In none of those series did you have characters going completely insane because of something like indoctrination. In none of those series was someone ever brought back to life for no fucking reason but just to have a "cool" factor.

I'm sorry, you're seriously pissing in the wind here. Mass Effect is considerably weaker on a consistency, character, lore, story level then ANY of those, yes including HALO. I've watched Stargate, Andromeda, Star Trek, Star Wars and they are far better in how they treat the lore, characters, story, themes and so on.

Mass Effect takes the piss on crucial aspects....just because.

Not saying those series don't have issues, they absolutely do, but on a scale of problems those are considerably smaller then what Mass Effect has. I would sooner rank good writing as being Andromeda Season Five then Mass Effect 3.....and THAT's saying something considering the metric ton of shit THAT was. "Shudders"

Oh wow, some one who watched andromeda.

am i the only one who though: Fu&% Kevin Sorbo?

Last edited:
But those ARE issues with storytelling. Never mind. :p

It's a matter of perspective, Velly :) . Arguable. Dark energy not being expanded upon more because it was never meant to be like Stargate's Stargates isn't an issue of Storytelling to me, because me not knowing exactly why eezo has the properties it has doesn't change or effect the story in the way its told in the slightest. Ships still move, mass effect fields still produce energy, etc etc. It's no different than magic in games not being explained more, as far as why the magic works. It's magic. This, space magic. Really common in Sci fi to the point of it being a trope and meme. As long as what it does and how it is effected are explained, as long as the player knows the rules and laws of the world, at the end of the day, it's fine and that's all you need. Yea I know you were talking about the problem mentioned offhand in 2, but the point is still the same. It's a background intrigue thing that wasn't really meant to be expanded upon. Same as the issue of indoctrinated politicians and the experiments to deal with that. It's a small, small side detail. Not something they ever gave attention to in the main story.

Starchild telling you that reapers reap so you won't get killed by your own synthetics.... while you're getting killed by synthetics... and that's the reason for all of this bs... THAT is a huge problem because it directly effects the story we're being told in every single way. Even with the idea of machines using the logic that your dna is still preserved... I'm not a damn machine, and you can't just give the machines an idiot card just because they're machines.

That's the difference, and why I stand where I do. I doubt people would make such a fuss if that ending never happened. You can call it an issue, and for the sake of peace, I'll go ahead and say it is, since I'd of course prefer if they did enlighten us on Dark energy and its supposed upcoming problems. It just doesn't bother me that they didn't, since it's an issue that will come up much later in the universe, and isn't an immediate issue. But, one can easily see the difference in magnitude of this issue, and the massive problem that Starchild was. Sure, dark energy is an issue, just like me not being able to find my remote. It isn't a big story telling problem, however. Every story will have issues.

Edit: But anyways, agree or not, the original point which we agree on is that having Mass Effect's writers involved with DA: I isn't doing them any favors. I don't think it'd hurt them either, but whatevs. Discussion's gone full circle now, so I'll drop Mass Effect and get back on Mighty Morphin Dragon Age: Spanish Inquisition.

Last edited:
The character creator does look good..until they started adding facial hair to the male. Could be it looks better/different in-game, I know that was the case with Mass Effect. I also wish you could scale back the Qunari's horns. I don't like them so frakking huge.

The character creator does look good..until they started adding facial hair to the male. Could be it looks better/different in-game, I know that was the case with Mass Effect. I also wish you could scale back the Qunari's horns. I don't like them so frakking huge.

Yea, the only time I was actually happy with the facial hair was with Hawke, though I know a lot of people didn't like his either. I liked his beard though. Other than that, they never did get the beards right to me. So I mostly kept my warden like this:

That's as good as I could manage their facial hair.

Am I the only one that thinks the Qunari horns should be like that? They're an alien race that so few people get. I think they should be as different from humans as you can get without being absurd. Of course, an option to make them smaller wouldn't kill anyone since its single player. I'm sure someone will have mods for that soon since I see people saying that about the horns a lot.

Damn, that character creator looks good. But I'll probably play with default face - I'm never satisfied with my own work. :(

@Rauter With character creator this good, and with me not really caring about the original inquisitor, I think I'm going to have to break my rule and go with my own despite the default character given.

Maybe its because they gave us races again, but I don't feel the way I did in DA 2, where Hawke had an iconic image. The Inquisitor is just the Inquisitor, know what I mean? Like 'The Warden'. No one specific. And I prefer it that way.

Last edited:
I was going to abandon this pointless discussion but what the hell.

I agree with Veleda. I don't think Unkindled gets it. There are serious issues with Bioware's narrative that cannot be dismissed as personal preferences. The genre is irrelevant as well. Sci fi is not about future tech alone without proper writing. This was in fact the main problem with the first generation of scifi authors.

Games like this one are different: more than just dry writing they are plagued with logical inconsistencies and lack of actual scientific inspiration. If you remove the plausible science element, you get good old fiction or fantasy. Sci fi is not just about future tech. It's about the transcendental implications of plausible projections of science and technology.

If all your points of reference are blockbuster shows, you have a very skewed impression. The original star trek for instance features space cowboy capt. Kirk. And star wars is more a fantasy epic set in space, with all and a secret order of knightly warriors, evil empire, princesses, battles for liberation, etc. Space doesn't imply it's scientific.

Anyway, as I said. Regardless of the genre Bioware has shown they are incapable of sensible writing. There's too much catering and fan service. If you found nothing wrong with DA2 then yeah maybe you can enjoy the third. But given narrative is a core element of role playing games, this absurdity alone makes it unbearable in my opinion.

I actually thought this might be a return, which is why I've followed the thread. But nope.

I was going to abandon this pointless discussion but what the hell.

I agree with Veleda. I don't think Unkindled gets it.

She already admitted to what I was saying, so as far as I'm concerned, the topic is finished ;) Like I said, I spoke to her about this before and knew what her real gripes were. Origin and Starchild.

Zombie movies aren't about zombies Unkindled, surely you know this, look at Dawn of the Dead and any of the better ones, there's a subtext being made there. As for Science Fiction, choose some better examples than all that kiddie shit.

Examples are examples. Your opinion of them doesn't change a thing. Get mad about it as much as you want, but "it's kiddy shit" isn't a counterpoint. Sorry. And I'm done.

edit: And all that whining you did about why shephard saved the geth and quarians, that's all explained in the game. The only method they had was the crucible, which the geth and quarians helped with when and if you saved them, on TOP of their ships. All you did was show just how poorly you grasped the game's story and aren't helping your credibility at all.

Last edited:
@Blothulfur, never watch a single zombie movie or play a single zombie game unless its the last of us or left 4 dead where the "zombies" aren't dead, because without the chemical present in fat that makes us hunger, zombies would never go around craving flesh. So mark those off. The point wasn't weak. The point was most science fiction stories can be picked apart, because most do the same thing Mass Effect did. Especially Starwars, Star Treck, Stargate SG-1, Halo, Andromeda, whatever.

Zombie movies aren't about zombies Unkindled, surely you know this, look at Dawn of the Dead and any of the better ones, there's a subtext being made there. And that's not an opinion but simple fact, ask the director, writers or anyone with a brain. As for Science Fiction, choose some better examples than all that kiddie shit.

No ME is shit writing and i'm not put off by the ending because I didn't play 3, so I can't have been soured by that (which is obvious even for an idiot child to see.) No all my problems were found in ME2, everybody being an incompetent idiot who can't do anything except when the idiot Shepard's around, the themes of the narrative being a disjointed mess, the writers unable to comprehend that somebody might use a ships probes to scout, Shepards total lack of agency, the characters being one note caricatures once again, the science being just fucking bad, the fifty thousand year cycle being far too short, the galaxy being too big to control organic life, the sensible armour and clothing of the first game being discarded, the ending binary choice being pathetically arbitrary, Shepards death serving no purpose in the narrative, Shepard hunting Geth instead of hunting down a weakness in the Reapers, and the whole game was pointless you rescued a few lives that will be taken when the Reapers arrive anyway, when you could be pursuing a method of stopping them. Etcetera.

I won't even go iinto the moronic dlc.

No shit writing is shit writing, and Bioware aren't that far behind Bethesdas hiking simulators now.

Last edited:
Okay, I'm going to have to ask you guys to drop the subject as the discussion is getting rather aggressive and it's also off-topic.

Fine with me. I edited in my final points with the last post. Any more comments can be sent to me in my PM if anyone wants to continue discussing it, but as far as I'm concerned, the discussion was over since the last page.

Back to Dragon Age, I'm sure there will be lots of dragons and many ages because, well, that's what it is about. Oh and inquisition....ing. Lots of it. Imagine if these were just narrative vehicles to convey a greater, actually interesting story. Thankfully we know Bioware too well and they won't sabotage a perfectly good tale of dragons, ages and inquisitors.

Top Bottom