Dragon Age: Inquisition

+
I think I said something like this before, but why couldn't Dorian be closer to a stereotypical Magister? In light of what we got in the previous game, a more apologetic point of view of the Imperium would've been more engaging, and would've given me an idea of how far the Inquisitor's willing to go to stop the threat at hand. Instead, we get yet another white hat among a bunch of (mostly) other white hats. I really don't need another companion telling me how bad the Imperium and its mages are.

Also, the Dick Dastardly resemblance is hilarious! That twirl-worthy 'stache is wasted on Dorian, I says.

To be honest, posts along the lines of "I'm not gay, but if I were gay that's what I would think" do not sound terribly convincing. I think homosexuality results is a life experience, or in this case, gaming experience different enough that it is hard to just put on your "gay hat" and comment.

I suspect thats mostly aimed at me. I must admit I'm not happy with my metaphorical attempt at describing my thought process on this earlier, but I find it all a difficult subject to get my head around. I'd point out I certainly never phrased in the over-simplified manner you have reduced it too. I did not put on a "gay hat", I tried to walk in anothers shoes.

And speaking of walking, believe this or not mate, I marched on the first Pride marches here in Belfast back in the horrible days when the behaviour was still vilified by the establishment, along with a few hundred others, at least half of whom were hetero's like myself, egalitarians all sticking up for equality. I wouldn't go near the marches these days, even if they are happier, much more crowded, and less pelted by stones than the ones I braved.

But woe betide humanity if we lose the ability - or are encouraged not to - empathise with others just because we are not like them in some way. "Can't comment it's out of my realm of direct experience". Then we'd all certainly be fucked.

Fallout New Vegas come to mind.

2 of your possible companions/followers are gay: Veronica Santangelo (wiki link) and Arcade Gannon (wiki link). Their sexuality is something that defines a part of their personality and their views on things and you can inquire about this once you get to know them but it isn't like being gay is their main defining trait. It's handled very well actually.

Another example, back to DA2, and the difference between Anders and Fenris. If you play as a male Hawke, it's possible to get right through the game without Fenris ever making a pass at Hawke, and even though you know he's gay, it's never the defining feature of his character. It was handled OK.

Another example, back to DA2, and the difference between Anders and Fenris. If you play as a male Hawke, it's possible to get right through the game without Fenris ever making a pass at Hawke, and even though you know he's gay, it's never the defining feature of his character. It was handled OK.
He's bisexual- has a relationship with Isabela if neither of those are in a romance with the PC.

As a female I'm certainly not impressed with Bioware's pandering, but there are certainly people for whom being appealed to as part of their identity group is effective.

That last person talking about her experience with presentation, why was that there? Who cares.

As for the rest, I think it's always a good thing when a game's interface is made for PC. Honestly, even though I play consoles, though not for much longer, I have never enjoyed an interface that was "controller friendly". So this is good that they made it with PC in mind first.

I think I said something like this before, but why couldn't Dorian be closer to a stereotypical Magister? In light of what we got in the previous game, a more apologetic point of view of the Imperium would've been more engaging, and would've given me an idea of how far the Inquisitor's willing to go to stop the threat at hand. Instead, we get yet another white hat among a bunch of (mostly) other white hats. I really don't need another companion telling me how bad the Imperium and its mages are.
You mean less apologetic, right? If so, then yes, I agree - having Dorian endorse some very gut-wrenching ideals that are commonplace in the Imperium would have been much more interesting and tense, and indicate how urgent and desperate the Inquisition is, to use everyone it can, even if they're despicable by our western standards.

"We love PC!"

[...]

"So when he finally hit "A"..."

I know you had good (PR) intentions with this sorry ass video, Bioware, but again: epic fail! You really want to win back trust of PC players with such blabla videos of developers not even halfly interested in the PC version of the game? And with videos dedicated to the PC version in which you talk about console prompts? Holy mother of Jesus...

Either do it well or don't do it at all!

:facepalm:

Last edited:
I know you had good (PR) intentions with this sorry ass video, Bioware, but again: epic fail! You really want to win back trust of PC players with such blabla videos of developers not even halfly interested in the PC version of the game? And with videos dedicated to the PC version in which you talk about console prompts? Holy mother of Jesus...

Ha, good attention to detail there :) I wasn't even paying attention to what she was saying by then.

You mean less apologetic, right?.

Nope, I meant more. I suppose I could've used a less confusing term, but you understood my point regardless. And yeah, a pro-Imperium Dorian would've made the party even more diverse. He could've also been a source of tough decisions, even addressing problems (quests) with possible morally-compromising solutions that could challenge an otherwise benevolent PC. And he still could've been gay. But it looks like it could only be one or the other with BW. A lost opportunity, indeed.

Last edited:
You mean less apologetic, right? If so, then yes, I agree - having Dorian endorse some very gut-wrenching ideals that are commonplace in the Imperium would have been much more interesting and tense, and indicate how urgent and desperate the Inquisition is, to use everyone it can, even if they're despicable by our western standards.

Lets be honest here. That would get Bioware so much shit. They'd claim he was another Anders or something.

I'd be for it of course. I think that making a character like this that happened to be gay as a side detail would be a good thing. But I understand why they didn't. Wouldn't be good for their appeasement campaign.

Lets be honest here. That would get Bioware so much shit. They'd claim he was another Anders or something.

Anders was a rabidly anti-Imperium/blood magic mess. And also a straight-in-one-game-then straight/gay/bi/and-everything-else-in-between mess. If there would've been a problem with making Dorian pro-Imperium, it would've been making a gay character evil to any degree, cuz politically incorrect or...something <_<. But that's probably what you meant with the rest of your post.

Last edited:
Anders was a rabidly anti-Imperium/blood magic mess. And also a straight-in-one-game-then straight/gay/bi/and-everything-else-in-between mess. If there would've been a problem, it would've been making a gay character evil, cuz politically incorrect or...something <_<. But that's probably what you meant.

I think you're forgetting him going Taliban on the chantry building, no? That's what I was referring to. A lot of people can't get past that and are angry that they made him do it. I think that they'd get a lot of shit for making another person people consider to be bad and gay.

Doesn't mean I don't think they should. Just saying, I don't think anyone should expect them to have the sack for it, because they'd be expecting something despite the way the wind is blowing.

What's funny is Anders blowing up the chantry is the only thing he did that I liked, lol. I laughed. It was just so abrupt. I won't say it came out of nowhere, but the story was just all over the place, so it kinda was like "wait, what?" Things were bad, but not that bad. But he could probably see things slowly deteriorating to the point of it being that bad and didn't want to watch it grow to that point over the years. I get it, but still. LOL

I think you're forgetting him going Taliban on the chantry building, no?

I didn't forget, actually. Despite the death and chaos his action caused, Anders did that out of desperation and for the sake of other mages (plus being a practically dissociative mess, too), not out of some evil or self-serving sentiment. But whatever, I think we both agree on the assumption that BW is skittish about writing another messed-up gay character for silly reasons.

LOL Well, and Mike Laidlaw talking about the PC version is a bit ironic, too, since he came in late to Origins and worked on the console version, and was one of the big ones pushing consolization in DA2.

I didn't forget, actually. Despite the death and chaos his action caused, Anders did that out of desperation and for the sake of other mages (plus being a practically dissociative mess, too), not out of some evil or self-serving sentiment. But whatever, I think we both agree on the assumption that BW is skittish about writing another messed-up gay character for silly reasons.

That doesn't matter, really. The dark corner of the internet that SJWs spew from, it doesn't care about this thing you call reason and logic. People still saw it as evil and bad, deciding to whine and bitch and moan over it. But yes, we agree they don't have the balls to try that.

But who knows, maybe we're wrong. I'm as careful to assume things of a game as I am careful to get excited over one.

But who knows, maybe we're wrong. I'm as careful to assume things of a game as I am careful to get excited over one.

Maybe, but...

"With his magical ability, wit and charm, it would seem he would have had a promising career in Tevinter had Dorian not become a pariah for opposing everything his homeland stands for. Dorian bears his ostracism with pride as he feels Tevinter will only change if someone like him makes a difference. Seeking to halt what he perceives as the moral decay of his countrymen, he joins the Inquisition." "The Redeemer"

...I don't think that leaves a lot of room for Dorian to pull any serious shenanigans :p.

Meh, Anders was on that same bs and look what he pulled. Outlooks change. I'm not saying I'm hopeful, just saying I'm not gonna bet money on it. Lol, people with mustaches like that tend to be shifty :lol: He is Dorian Dastardly after all, lol.

What the hell does Laidlaw know about the PC version when he was hired for consoles? I'm not buying that spiel for a second. Does Laidlaw realize how many times PC gamers have been burnt by this shit? Probably not.

Top Bottom