Dragon Age: Inquisition

+
I don't really know his background story that explains it, but I'd have preferred if the Qunari remained this alien threatening presence in Thedas completely separate from the world. I kinda feel like that's somewhat deluded when you make one of them romance-able, no?

And yea, something about him in general just looks kinda off. The pantaloons especially look like clown pants.

See also the Loghain fangirls.

....Loghain?!?!?! but he's so ugly ;___; just the thought of him in any sexual way is enough to turn me into a nun.

Iron Bull looks a bit too...bulky? Or something. And bull-like for me, but I do like how alien and strange they are to everyone else. Makes them more unique and I think it fits.

I preferred how they looked in DA 2 though. I thought that look was perfect. One of the few things DA 2 got right. But Iron Bull isn't that bad.

I'd say both are a vast improvement to Sten though.

I like how the Qunari look in DA2, but Iron Bull looks different from the average Qunari anyway, as far as I can tell. He has a more human face which unfortunately just looks creepy. Sten just looked like a weird alien.

this is definitely better than this
imo.

He looks like a Qunari had sex with Danny Trejo:

Edit: Wow, that pic link messed up real bad at first, lol.

Last edited:
Speaking of abominations, is Iron Bull wielding Hayder's Razor there? I don't really have to look at that stupid-looking sword in game again, do I? And that's not the kind of head that hair would look good on. Don't get at all...

DA2's Qunari males all had those pronounced brows that made them look like they were always scowling, and I thought it actually made them look kinda bad-ass, especially the Arishok (that "No" face, lol).

Iron Bull looks like a Diablo boss. I hate his small head and bull sized horns. I don't like any of the character designs. Outside Witcher and Dark Souls, I think most fantasy art in games sucks donkey balls.

pretty much those two are the only games that come to mind with good fantasy art direction

DA's art direction is all over the place since DA2. It was sorta passable in DAO but they threw that away. They don't even tell you what culture Hawke's armor is from and you find it inside some fucking dragon. There's no thought put into making things believable at all.
@Unkindled not saying I liked Carver just saying Bethany<Carver

Well I'm not a game critic, @guipit, so I don't really care if on paper, he's marginally better written. In game, he's a little shit. That's all I care about really.

The only reason I praise him for becoming a grey warden is because he finally gets off my sack, and it was thanks to me saving his life of course. Your welcome.
But him becoming a templar when his brother is a mage and his dead sister was too... kinda fucked up. Little shit. Though to give him credit, he does turn over in the end. Like all of the rest do.

EDIT:

As for art direction, The elder scrolls will always be my favorite. The Witcher is great and all, and while I do appreciate realism, I also appreciate creativity as well. The elder scrolls violates a good deal of realism rules, like some of their swords being impractical or what have you, but they don't go super wild with it like others do. They follow rule of cool sometimes but the lower level stuff looks more sensible and still unique. They have a good balance.

And they have a more sensible approach to creatures than other games do as well. Like where Dark Souls gets really exotic with the monsters, Skyrim's look more toned down and believable. I prefer that.

And of course, there's the land and environment itself. Oblivion's was rather bland, but Morrowind and Skyrim's were much better.

Last edited:
@Unkindled Skyrim has a really shitty engine and a lazy dev team which no amount of good art direction can save. I mean a "city" with less than 30 people!? Witcher and Dragon Age were smarter since they didn't let you see a lot of the city just the important parts. Skyrim is just really uncreative for me but it does have better art direction than a lot of games.

You saying you liked Elder Scrolls over Witcher and Dark Souls speaks a lot about your tastes.

Well, if you guys dislike other fantasy art styles that explains why I mostly like what I see in DA:I. Besides TW and TES I also play tons of DOTA2, WoW and Diablo 3 ROS. People who like these three games are going to love this. Even in WoW I stay away from the most ridiculous kinds of armors thanks to transmog but bulky armor is appealing to me as is realistic armor.

Stuff like this looks very cool to me.

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb...i/images/3/38/Warcraft_III_Human_Campaign.jpg

As does this

http://media.pcgamer.com/files/2013/12/Kingdom-Come-2.jpg

You saying you liked Elder Scrolls over Witcher and Dark Souls speaks a lot about your tastes.

Yea, it's called "different than yours"... and the next person that suggests my tastes are shit because you don't agree can lick my salty sack. I like Skyrim more than Witcher. Yes, I exist, lol. Deal with it. @Veleda likes Skyrim too. That's the name of her main character in fact.

Witcher and Dragon age are also a lot smaller, because they're not the same type of rpg. Skyrim is an action rpg and a sandbox game. It's designed to give the player freedom. It's a different experience.

edit: And do me a favor by not editing this, please. It needs to be said, it really does.

Last edited:
Yea, it's called "different than yours"... and the next person that suggests my tastes are shit because you don't agree can lick my salty sack. I like Skyrim more than Witcher. Yes, I exist, lol. Deal with it. @Veleda likes Skyrim too. That's the name of her main character in fact.

Witcher and Dragon age are also a lot smaller, because they're not the same type of rpg. Skyrim is an action rpg and a sandbox game. It's designed to give the player freedom. It's a different experience.

edit: And do me a favor by not editing this, please. It needs to be said, it really does.

Yeah, it is very strange to me when people compare TES with TW precisely for the reasons you mentioned.

....Loghain?!?!?! but he's so ugly ;___; just the thought of him in any sexual way is enough to turn me into a nun.
He has some of the most popular romance fanfics, so there are lots of people who disagree. I didn't write a fanfic novel about him because I fangirled over him, but I was shocked at the response. Loghain sexy brings.... well, lots of girls to the yard. :)

Speaking of abominations, is Iron Bull wielding Hayder's Razor there? I don't really have to look at that stupid-looking sword in game again, do I? And that's not the kind of head that hair would look good on. Don't get at all...
Yes, and apparently, yes. I don't know what the artists are smoking. Maybe this is the same person who made the elves barefoot.

@Unkindled Skyrim has a really shitty engine and a lazy dev team which no amount of good art direction can save. I mean a "city" with less than 30 people!? Witcher and Dragon Age were smarter since they didn't let you see a lot of the city just the important parts. Skyrim is just really uncreative for me but it does have better art direction than a lot of games.

Oh, don't start with the Skyrim hate. We're just talking about art direction, and I don't think anyone does it better than Adam Adamowicz. That last bit is a pretty shitty thing to say to another poster, by the way.

@Unkindled didn't mean to imply you have "shit tastes" just amazed that people can like Skyrim more than Witcher, like an endangered animal

In Skyrims defense though it's hard to do an entire continent in such a small space so a lot of things had to be sacrificed I guess. I do prefer things be segmented rather than sacrificing believability.
@Cormacolindor Warcraft is designed that way because it's an RTS and you view the characters from really far away. I really those types of armor designs you mentioned. There are somany game have mediocre art direction because of this "rule of cool", I mean if you're going to try to make something cool make it different from everything else out there or make it realistic, here's a creative rendition of spiky armor http://i.imgur.com/eXHLSVc.jpg

Take a look the game Dante's Inferno. They got the artist of the pictures you see above Wayne Barlowe to do some concept art for them but they're game still doesn't look any good because they followed rule of cool with protagonists and other characters damnit.

Oh, don't start with the Skyrim hate. We're just talking about art direction, and I don't think anyone does it better than Adam Adamowicz. That last bit is a pretty shitty thing to say to another poster, by the way.

Ray Lederer wasn't too bad himself either:

http://raylederer.blogspot.com/

Arms and pose is strange just to show off armor. So calm down, to those wondering.

Now that's a troll.

Boethiah, enemy of Molag Bal, ally and aligned with hero Lorkhan.

@Unkindled didn't mean to imply you have "shit tastes" just amazed that people can like Skyrim more than Witcher, like an endangered animal

Endangered animals don't tend to have numbers in the millions. I don't see what's so hard about it to believe, especially with the entry of the Witcher 2. Witcher is a game with its own story and character. I like to make my own.

And as I said, I appreciate a litte creativity and cool. Witcher of course has that, but it has nothing on the elder scrolls in the realm of creativity. In lore or art.

edit: Adam's many sketches and drawings for Skyrim:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/47857688@N08/sets/72157629321466509/

Last edited:

In Skyrims defense though it's hard to do an entire continent in such a small space so a lot of things had to be sacrificed I guess. I do prefer things be segmented rather than sacrificing believability.
@Cormacolindor here's a creative rendition of spiky armor http://i.imgur.com/eXHLSVc.jpg

I don't like it :p but that second painting you liked is freaking awesome, very much reminds me of 80s fantasy like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoxMiZxN-F0

This is the kind of stuff I like. These are my WoW transmogs

Ultra realistic armor like this is very appealing to me as well

He has some of the most popular romance fanfics, so there are lots of people who disagree. I didn't write a fanfic novel about him because I fangirled over him, but I was shocked at the response. Loghain sexy brings.... well, lots of girls to the yard. :)

These women need help oh my god

These women need help oh my god

I could understand this if this were real life, I am not ashamed to admit that I would not date a girl I do not find attractive. However, in a creative medium if I had to choose between looks and personality I would choose personality. This is why I thought Aveline had a lot of potential. Like I mentioned in a previous post, a character can be ugly if they are ugly in an interesting way. In fact I encourage developers to try and make such a character.

Witcher said it best. Some women like ugly men. Though I see plenty of fan art and such making him look better.

Loghain, even though I personally always kill him, is a man. A warrior and a champion. No doubt about that. I can see people liking him more than I could Dorian personally. Never did get the pretty boy attraction. I think men look best a little rugged or rough looking. Loghain may be ugly, but there can be no doubt he's a man.

Top Bottom