Dragon Age: Inquisition

+
So not to be nitpicky here, but I watched a bunch of vids that Video Game Sophistry put out and noticed quite a few glitches. Some soldiers moved way too fast, as if they were blinking, some weird camera angles, that caused clipping with game envirovement and once there was a very strange pause during the conversation with one of the followers. Also some textures looked surprisingly low-res, although I don't know what graphical settings were used. Looks like there's still some polishing to be done.

Class specs video.
Pointless video for that lousy combat system with an almost non existing freedom or agency for the player.

I remain skeptical until user impressions start pouring in and sites like GameBanshee publish their take. So many sites are too much the fanboy or not critical and thorough enough in their analysis. This even happened for TW2, a game from a newcomer in the industry. You can be sure everyone and their grandma wants Bioware to 'be back.' I find the dearth of reviews odd - a bunch poured in and then it stopped. Only 14 on PC according to Metacrtic. TW2 had 76 and Origins had 67. How does this work on MC? Is it only review copies that get sent out by the publisher which are tallied in the score, or is it copies picked up by other sites as well?
Yeah, wait for those PC reviews especially if you want to know whether the game is any good on PC. Most sites see and review this game as ac action (console) RPG, thus the super high ratings. And even some of the PC reviews read more like console reviews (aka "mouse and keyboard controls were not well implemented so I just chose to play with a gamepad instead...").

If you expected or hoped for a real CRPG or a true successor to Origins on PC you will very likely be disappointed. It's actually nothing like that, sadly.

If you expected or hoped for a consoly action RPG of the likes of DA2 with slightly more tactics (but even more dumbed down RPG mechanics) you will probably like it a lot - especially if you play the game for seeing the world and its characters alone and if you like the typical Bioware approach to storytelling.

Maybe it's just me as one of those stupid old-school German PC gamers. Maybe the glorious times of well done CRPGs are gone for good. But then games like Divinity Original Sin, Wasteland 2 or Pillars of Eternity prove me otherwise. They may not look that cool and they may not offer that much content - but they offer vastly superior gameplay. Hell, I'm looking 10 times more forward to Pillars than to Inquisition (aka "Bioware's fantasy romance and relationship simulator 2.0 for causals").

Last edited:
Oh for anyone who wants to listen to the song that was used in the last trailer, you can find it here.

I genuinely love this song. I think it gave the trailer a great atmosphere.

Maybe it's just me as one of those stupid old-school German PC gamers. Maybe the glorious times of well done CRPGs are gone for good. But then games like Divinity Original Sin, Wasteland 2 or Pillars of Eternity prove me otherwise. They may not look that cool and they may not offer that much content - but they offer vastly superior gameplay. Hell, I'm looking 10 times more forward to Pillars than to Inquisition (aka "Bioware's fantasy romance and relationship simulator 2.0 for causals").

I actually kind of envy people that are excited about this game, in a way. I just can't. :p Not judging at all. Different strokes for different folks as they say.

I am waiting eagerly to the launch of Pillars of Eternity, too (which I kickstarted) and Torment. And VERY excited about Game of Thrones (TellTale) which is gonna be ready before Christmas, hopefully. So all good games about Fantasy to keep me entertained until Wild Hunt arrives. Yet no need to venture into Bioware territory to be slapped in the face again. :p

I kind of wish melee fighting looked like that (meaning the soldiers training together) instead of the colorful approach they took. It reminds me in a way of Kotor. Animations there were fun to watch. Rather than slicing at the air lightsabers "clashed" together often and buzzed against one another. I liked it so much at the time that during the final battle I buffed my character's AC and lowered his AB just to see him fight Malak uninterrupted for a short while.

Last edited:
I actually kind of envy people that are excited about this game, in a way. I just can't. :p Not judging at all. Different strokes for different folks as they say.

I am waiting eagerly to the launch of Pillars of Eternity, too (which I kickstarted) and Torment. And VERY excited about Game of Thrones (TellTale) which is gonna be ready before Christmas, hopefully. So all good games about Fantasy to keep me entertained until Wild Hunt arrives. Yet no need to venture into Bioware territory to be slapped in the face again. :p
Yeah, but too bad Pillars was delayed to early 2015 as well...

I'm also happy for everyone excited about Inquisition. For me this game is the final nail in the coffin of the once great Bioware. They once and for all sold their souls to the mainstream, to the biggest common denominator, to where the most money could be made. I really, really hope CDPR won't walk down the same path although they are on the brink of doing so...

Yep, PC mostly gets ignored in reviews. A good game doesn't mean a good PC port..

DA:I includes Denuvo, a type of DRM meant to safeguard MP mode. PC players should be advised on the DRM schemes they're signing up for:

http://www.denuvo.com/

Denuvo isn't in itself DRM apparently, at least the company who made it claims so. Rather it's a program to ensure hackers can't circumvent DRM.

The same guy who made Denuvo also made SecuROM. It's DRM or might as well be.

I saw the Video Game Sophistry stuff, too- seemed glitchy and the animations looked herky jerk.

Class specs video.

This looks really good on my tv. Graphics card doing its job. Honestly, these look like they'll be fun, at least for a time. Mage again hands down looks the best to me. Still don't like how magical both the rogues and warriors are. It's as if Bioware really wanted to push magic on us. Which makes sense given our hand and falling from the fade, even though the trailer dude's a warrior.

Anyway, I'll definitely be rolling a mage and knight enchanter. Not sure which between necromancer and rift mage though. Rift mage would be fitting for the inquisitor.

Alright, quick kinda off topic question. I was messing in the Keep and I saw you could make Alistair king, or let him stay with the grey wardens and let Anora be queen.
What would be best for Ferelden? Anora queen or Alistair king?
And what would be best for Alistair? King or Warden?

And for the rest I think I'll play a rogue. It only seems logical because in dao I was a warrior and in da2 I was a mage, so one class left. :p And it looked really cool in that video.

Dragon Age Inquisition has been cancelled in India.
Im guessing because of the Nudity and Homosexual themes.

India what the fuck? :facepalm:

Attachments

• GEW7jrL.png
    GEW7jrL.png
    44.4 KB · Views: 42
Alright, quick kinda off topic question. I was messing in the Keep and I saw you could make Alistair king, or let him stay with the grey wardens and let Anora be queen.

And for the rest I think I'll play a rogue. It only seems logical because in dao I was a warrior and in da2 I was a mage, so one class left. :p And it looked really cool in that video.

Ehhh... I think it depends on your values, like with the Witcher choices... To give you a contemporary example: Anora is a manipulator, like a "Washington insider", a politician that knows well how the machine works, and knows how to "grease the wheels", for it to continue working. Not necesarily going hand in hand with the needs of the common people.
Alistair will be a "people's King", not necesarily as wise as Aragorn would ve been, but certainly as popular. He will have "the common touch". But I have to agree that he himself would much rather remain as a Warden and deflect the huge responsability of being king.

I made them marry each other personally. I like Alistair and all but I care about the kingdom more. They could benefit from both of them ruling I think.

Top Bottom