Dragon Age: Inquisition

+
So how is the game anyway? Storywise, RPG wise, quest wise, since that's really all I care about for now. Not going to buy it yet, not until they fix the PC issues. I would ask at the BioWare forums, but I feel people over there are just too biased. I liked DAO but hated DA2, I don't suppose that means anything. Although I keep hearing some stuff I don't like, for instance that it feels like a single player MMO, that the sidequests are just boring, that exploring isn't all that great and that wherever you explore what you get to see is just a bunch of the same stuff. For instance, I heard that if you were in a an area with trees, all you'd ever see was trees or in a snowy area it was all snow.

Well, the "sidequests" are just little busy bee tasks, but the actual sidequests are rather fun. Like the one involving the carta and these skypeople or whatever. That one had a really epic fight at the end. That's why I've decided to take my slow ass time. I knew there had to be real side missions somewhere in all of that mess, and there are. It's just a matter of sifting through all the other stuff meant to just help level up your various things to get to them. And that's just in the beginning segment before the next big event happens, which I've been holding off on purposefully to explore.

Go in knowing that you'll be skipping a lot of shit, and know that this is okay.

Oh, and if you're not willing to buy a controller for some reason for your pc, then you might want to hold off.

That sounds nice, a lot of people keep saying that about not doing everything. I guess that's fine, I imagine the game's big enough that you don't have to do everything anyway. I would get a controller, but unfortunately I don't exactly have the accommodations to play with one, I don't really play from a sofa, and my monitor is really close so yeah. To be honest, these days I just prefer a keyboard anyway.

Hopefully they will fix the PC issues soon, I want to buy it, but not if it is a goddamn mess. I've already got Skyrim for that.

That sounds nice, a lot of people keep saying that about not doing everything. I guess that's fine, I imagine the game's big enough that you don't have to do everything anyway. I would get a controller, but unfortunately I don't exactly have the accommodations to play with one, I don't really play from a sofa, and my monitor is really close so yeah. To be honest, these days I just prefer a keyboard anyway.

Hopefully they will fix the PC issues soon, I want to buy it, but not if it is a goddamn mess. I've already got Skyrim for that.

If I could only go keyboard and mouse, I'd wait, or pass it up altogether unfortunately. A lot of the fun for me is the combat, even though that wasn't what I was looking for in this game, but oh well. Anyway, there's a lot of fighting, so if you can't enjoy the controls, it's going to feel like even more of a chore. Right now I'd give the game a 7.5, but if I were playing on M and K, probably a 5.

---------- Updated at 02:44 AM ----------

Also, upgrading my cpu driver along with downloading, or redownloading in my case, those updates Celan linked to earlier did the trick. FINALLY. It's been a few hours, and I've had no crashes. Game looks beautiful, didn't have to downgrade my settings, and that's that.

---------- Updated at 04:03 AM ----------

So badass. Glad I took my time, I look great in these fantastic cutscenes, lol. Epic game is fucking epic.

---------- Updated at 10:35 AM ----------

I read some people saying that the overlays cause crashes, and also that Nvidia's shadowplay especially was glitchy. I don't know if deactivating that last night was the reason my game stopped crashing, as I also updated all my drives on my pc, but it's worth noting if anyone's having issues with crashes mid game. I had the kind that just exited out the game and sent you to dashboard, especially during big scenes. I also got rid of the 30 FPS thing, which seemed to be taxing on the game and causing issues. Doing all that made it run much much smoother all around.

Any word on Morrigan?

Couple of videos if you don't mind spoilers.

Anyhow, I'm browsing BSN right now and damn. It seems that people who bought the last gen versions got shafted real baaad. Not only does it look horrible, it runs badly too - some say it looks worse than DA2 at points [I have a hard time imagining that...].

And then you have the people who bought the Inquisitor Edition for over 160$ [200$ in some places], only to get cheap, plastic figurines... and well, just read it. It's just sad.

It runs bad practically everywhere,lol. Without fixes that is. So many fixes. And then when you get them, more issues seem to pop up.

Couple of videos if you don't mind spoilers.

Anyhow, I'm browsing BSN right now and damn. It seems that people who bought the last gen versions got shafted real baaad. Not only does it look horrible, it runs badly too - some say it looks worse than DA2 at points [I have a hard time imagining that...].

And then you have the people who bought the Inquisitor Edition for over 160$ [200$ in some places], only to get cheap, plastic figurines... and well, just read it. It's just sad.

It's last gen, what do you expect? The BF games also look horrible in last gen.

If I could only go keyboard and mouse, I'd wait, or pass it up altogether unfortunately. A lot of the fun for me is the combat, even though that wasn't what I was looking for in this game, but oh well. Anyway, there's a lot of fighting, so if you can't enjoy the controls, it's going to feel like even more of a chore. Right now I'd give the game a 7.5, but if I were playing on M and K, probably a 5.

---------- Updated at 02:44 AM ----------

Also, upgrading my cpu driver along with downloading, or redownloading in my case, those updates Celan linked to earlier did the trick. FINALLY. It's been a few hours, and I've had no crashes. Game looks beautiful, didn't have to downgrade my settings, and that's that.

---------- Updated at 04:03 AM ----------

So badass. Glad I took my time, I look great in these fantastic cutscenes, lol. Epic game is fucking epic.

---------- Updated at 10:35 AM ----------

I read some people saying that the overlays cause crashes, and also that Nvidia's shadowplay especially was glitchy. I don't know if deactivating that last night was the reason my game stopped crashing, as I also updated all my drives on my pc, but it's worth noting if anyone's having issues with crashes mid game. I had the kind that just exited out the game and sent you to dashboard, especially during big scenes. I also got rid of the 30 FPS thing, which seemed to be taxing on the game and causing issues. Doing all that made it run much much smoother all around.

Not so sure I like the sound of that. I wasn't particularly interested in buying the game for its combat. I care more about the story, and the RPG experience as a whole. I might just skip it and save more money for TW3.

A lot of the fun for me is the combat, even though that wasn't what I was looking for in this game, but oh well.

Sooo the story and the characters aren't that good? I never really cared about gameplay in DA, it's the characters (especially Morrigan) and the story that matter most to me in this franchise. Everything else is just icing to me.

Last edited:
You guys just need to see for yourself. I'm having fun, and at this point, there's so much shit to do, I don't know where to start. Actual missions, mind you.

---------- Updated at 12:03 PM ----------

Also, liking the characters. Even Iron Bull, surprisingly. He has good stuff to say generally. Meaningful.

Well my flatmate is letting me try using his gaming desktop pc to run inquisition, but it's also a dual core so i'm not expecting anything at this point. Please pray 4 me

Well my flatmate is letting me try using his gaming desktop pc to run inquisition, but it's also a dual core so i'm not expecting anything at this point. Please pray 4 me

May the sun be with you.

Last edited:
:rofl:

"You'll die by my hand. Again."

"What? Again? Inquisitor, did the spell work?"

Ha, that sure got the bitch upset. Love it.

To anyone saying BioWare didn't optimize this game well I've only had 1 crash in 8 hours on an i7 quad-core. So don't jump to conclusions and assume the game is badly optimized based on the reports of two or three people here.

Sooo the story and the characters aren't that good? I never really cared about gameplay in DA, it's the characters (especially Morrigan) and the story that matter most to me in this franchise. Everything else is just icing to me.
I wouldn't say the characters aren't good. I'm normally not a fan of BioWare's writing but so far I like the story and characters in this game.

Last edited:
@Cormacolindor

I liked the characters a lot so far. I like Varric the less, it says a lot of DA:I writing since he was the only decent character in DA2 for me. I don't like Sera at all, so she doesn't count. She reminds me a lot of roguish characters in Baldur's Gate.

The other character I really don't like is... my own character. The voice actor I chose isn't very good, and sometimes his tone felt out of place. There were some very good scenes to make yourself relate to him though.

Once you kick yourself in your completionist's butt and leave the Hinterlands the story "begins" for good, and I like it so far. In fact, it doesn't feel like a "save the world" game. It felt more like Mass Effect 1 to me, which was more about an investigation. I think the writing is good overall. And there's plenty of stuff to hear, to listen, to say... A lot of details in the environment, also telling a story... This is nothing like DA2. And the game feels like they're very comfortable with their lore, adding more depths to a lot of their concepts (except for blood magic so far).

I've been following news about DA:I since the announcement, and even if I watched a lot of streams or videos (hours) the game is full of surprises.

I'm even starting to like the combat now that I'm getting a grasp on the commands.

Last edited:
Sounds like they should have culled the beginning. Sounds like the Fade part in DA:O but far longer. First impressions matter.

Sobs even my flatmate's PC didn't work. Dual cores are well and truly fucked for this game.

On the bright side if I'm lucky I could be playing it on my new gaming pc (which has a quad core) in less than 2 weeks. My flatmate is now depressed too tho bc it means he won't be able to play DA:I lol.

Sounds like they should have culled the beginning. Sounds like the Fade part in DA:O but far longer. First impressions matter.

It's not really that actually. It's just that people enter an area and stay there. I went there then went back to talk with everyone and do operations.

There's some REALLY long conversations in this game with people. I've got hours of them, not story or quest related just convos with companions.

To anyone saying BioWare didn't optimize this game well I've only had 1 crash in 8 hours on an i7 quad-core. So don't jump to conclusions and assume the game is badly optimized based on the reports of two or three people here.

The game runs bad. I haven't had crashes but I have seen terrible performance. So no it wasn't optimized.

If anyone wants to say the game looks amazing and thus that's the reason: Battlefield 4 looks better in every way but runs vastly better, even in MP with 64 people.

Last edited:
Top Bottom