Dragon Age: Inquisition

+

Loving that character creator. When I get to it I'm gonna roll Shrek Qunari.

Shrek is love, Shrek is life.

Shrek is love, Shrek is life.
I love Shrek. Well, the first two anyway.

I'm kind of a stiff and humorless player when it comes to creating characters, though. I was never able to make someone goofy looking with a silly name. The escapist in me keeps wanting to play a solemn character.

@knightofphoenix can you elaborate a bit? I haven't played the game yet, nor read much about the politics, so I'm curious. How does the current system work and what would you have liked to see instead?

Still, it seems painfully uninspired to have you buy say allies with power points, reducing the amount of power you have while increasing your allies, which doesn't make any sense at all. They can still have "power" act as a way to pace the game without making it into a currency that you buy things with and get in weird unrelated ways.

That's not actually how it works. You don't buy allies with power, you use power to open certain areas by dispatching scouts, forces or diplomats. Actually getting people to help requires you to get involved there personally.

You gain it by completing various objectives that are supposed to increase your presence in the world, or to make people believe in what you are. Closing rifts increases your power because by doing so you show people that you are indeed the Herald of Andraste as you and your advisors claim.

Doing various objectives, such as helping refugees, dealing with bandits in an area etc. increases your power by showing the Inquisition is capable to handle these issues. Power is to me akin to political capital. You gain it by helping others or impressing them in some way and you spend it when you want something done.

That is however not all you do in terms of politics. There's quite a lot to handle on the strategic map. As an example the game gave me the option of involving myself in a dispute for the succesor of Lydes, an orlesian city. There where possible leaders, a military guy who was seen by your advisors as being the worst for the job and his two sisters, one sister being easier to manipulate but less capable, the other more capable but being harder to manipulate.

I sent Cullen to convince the guy to join the Inquisition directly with his men to fight for an honorable cause in the name of Andraste, while Josephine managed to help the more capable sister of dealing with the less capable one.

That's just one example. There's spy activities, cutting of enemy supply lines, dealing with political backers etc. For instance Arl Wulf in Fereldan was supporting the Venatori without knowing what they are and so he was confronted by the facts. I get to decide his fate. Discrediting him, assassination, convincing him to support us.

Last edited:
Sure, no one was expecting anything elaborate.

Still, it seems painfully uninspired to have you buy say allies with power points, reducing the amount of power you have while increasing your allies, which doesn't make any sense at all. They can still have "power" act as a way to pace the game without making it into a currency that you buy things with and get in weird unrelated ways.

It is, but you'll have power points coming out of your ass eventually anyway, so whateves. It's only an "issue" in the beginning, and only because you don't know what is and isn't worth doing. My second run likely won't take as long.

So TB is experimenting with a review-in progress format for games that take a lot longer to get a proper first impression.

In this video TB talks about Far Cry 4, DA:I and Never Alone

Most of his points are almost identical to what Unkindled said and after following the recommendations of other people he finally left the Hinterlands after 10 hours and has just started doing more interesting stuff. He also mentioned an area that had no combat at all, which sounds interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sl_SmwbQmXo&list=UUy1Ms_5qBTawC-k7PVjHXKQ

Last edited:
you can do that but don't make it sound like you are somehow right

Mod edit: Don't engage in personal attacks, please.

yeah yeah cool, if you wan't to engage a witcher for a job and see how a real badass kills monsters in an offline streamlined massificated mmo like a pro in multyplayer mode sometimes, you know how to find me. bring the oren.

So I did Iron Bull's quest after getting to know all his chargers. Or at least one of them I guess and I had to make a choice.

It involved trying to make an alliance with the Qunari, who are concerned about Tevinter gaining Red Lyrium. To that end I was joined by a Qunari agent and one of their dreadnoughts to attack a smuggling operation of Red Lyrium. We destroyed one of the camps with the chargers attacking another allowing the dreadnought to get close to the smuggler's ship.

However the Venatori counterattacked on the Chargers, and I had to decide: Let the dreadnought be destroyed by Venatori mages and thus end any hope of an alliance with the Qunari while also branding the Iron Bull as Tal-Vasoth, since his superiors were already unhappy with him giving the Inquisition intel, or order the Chargers to stand their ground and die but gain the might of Qunari naval power and their full network of spies working with Leliana while Bull remains a Qunari.

I couldn't let the alliance fall nor could I let Bull become Tal Vasoth as he had worked an entire life serving the Qun and believed in it's ideals but letting those men die...well I would compare it to the situation with the Blue Stripes in TW2. I sat with them, drank with them, knew their names and histories and then they died but this time it was my decision that got them killed. I felt like like shit and that's exactly how you are supposed to feel.

I remember Loghain's old wisdom: You have to be close enough to your men to know what they are risking but far enough to send them into the fire. I made the right decision, the ruthless one, the pragmatic, rational and logical one...and I hate myself for it. That's what being a leader is about at the end of the day however.

Good mission but easy choice for me personally. Same for on mass effect 3 with grunt's mission, though the outcome of that may as well have been inconsequential.

---------- Updated at 07:16 AM ----------

Sure, no one was expecting anything elaborate.

Completely missread this earlier. Don't post when you're half dead from sleep deprivation, lol.

Yea it doesn't work like that. It's literally just spending points to play missions. That's it.

Good mission but easy choice for me personally. Same for on mass effect 3 with grunt's mission, though the outcome of that may as well have been inconsequential.

---------- Updated at 07:16 AM ----------

Completely missread this earlier. Don't post when you're half dead from sleep deprivation, lol.

Yea it doesn't work like that. It's literally just spending points to play missions. That's it.

You know a game is good when you play it till you almost drop dead. Last time that heppened to me was when Deus Ex: Human Revolution came out. I played it from 3 PM till 8 AM.

yeah yeah cool, if you wan't to engage a witcher for a job and see how a real badass kills monsters in an offline streamlined massificated mmo like a pro in multyplayer mode sometimes, you know how to find me. bring the oren.

Go to bed. Why does everything have to be compared to Geralt... though if you want to play that game, Inquisitor kills several dragons, has an army, and while Geralt has waaay more bitches, the Inquisitor has people worshiping him, and a goddess. Quality over quantity, guy.

---------- Updated at 07:49 AM ----------

You know a game is good when you play it till you almost drop dead. Last time that heppened to me was when Deus Ex: Human Revolution came out. I played it from 3 PM till 8 AM.

Oh yes, dude. It's fantastic. Game of the year for sure.

Last edited:
I like how that channel and all the /v/ retards find a bad thing about the game then repeat it to infinity while ignoring all the good parts of the game. I found out about /v/ a few days ago while I was googling stuff about DA:I and DEAR LORD, the level of retardation and hypocrisy is high. I get depressed just by reading that shit. I agree that it's terrible though.

The current state of games journalism and self righteus internet warriors is why we need sensible people like TB to help us form an opinion

P.S NOT referring to you Sagitarri, rather the person who posted the video. How about someone posts something GOOD from the game.

P,S 2: Everybody rips off LOTR.

Last edited:
What the fuck Bioware?

Dragon Age: The Musical - cringe level 9999

also - song ripped of from Lord of the Rings.

No no no, this scene was epic. I'm not even kidding. People need to stop pulling little scenes from games and judging them so badly. You wouldn't understand how cool this was without context and seeing the buildup from what happened earlier. I rolled my eyes at this at first too, but still loved it. I am a male Joan of Arc, lol.

I like how that channel and all the /v/ retards find a bad thing about the game then repeat it to infinity while ignoring all the good parts of the game. I found out about /v/ a few days ago while I was googling stuff about DA:I and DEAR LORD, the level of retardation and hypocrisy is high. I get depressed just by reading that shit.

P.S NOT referring to you Sagitarri, rather the person who posted the video. How about someone posts something GOOD from the game.

Because he wants to? He is not reviewing the game, he is just recording the flaws in the game, because he thinks it's overpraised as hell?

I for one, lost a lot of interest in it, after seeing samples of that famous bioware writing.

Yeah, because totally ripping a tune from the song from LOTR, is the same as being inspired by it, like most fantasy that came after it. Give me a break.

<!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: dbtech_usertag_mention -->
@<a href="http://forums.cdprojektred.com/member.php?u=3758447" target="_blank">Unkindled</a>
<!-- END TEMPLATE: dbtech_usertag_mention --> <!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: dbtech_usertag_mention -->
@<a href="http://forums.cdprojektred.com/member.php?u=2000663" target="_blank">Costin</a>
<!-- END TEMPLATE: dbtech_usertag_mention --> I have a question for you both. Does it make any difference if Varric is allowed to keep the Red lyrium shard ? Does he even mention it?

He mentions it, but I didn't let him keep it in my game. No way, Jose.

---------- Updated at 08:08 AM ----------

I for one, lost a lot of interest in it, after seeing samples of that famous bioware writing.
It's fine if you lost interest, but like I've said about Skyrim countless times, this game is too big to judge it from samples. I went from mildly enjoying it, to hating it, to liking it again, to loving it, which is where I'm at right now. Not saying everyone will, but those samples are taken out of context.

It's like judging all the lord of the rings movies from these scenes:

Because he wants to? He is not reviewing the game, he is just recording the flaws in the game, because he thinks it's overpraised as hell?

Yeah, because totally ripping a tune from the song from LOTR, is the same as being inspired by it, like most fantasy that came after it. Give me a break.

No, YOU give me a break. It is clear that this guy is not interested in judging the game fairly. He searches ONLY for flaws in the game and then gives it a title like "Quality Bioware..." indicating that he is a person whose cultured tastes have been offended and completely ignores the good stuff in the game. The problem with this is that it is deliberately misleading.

If I want to I can find flaws in ANY game, including the Witcher 2 and post videos only about the flaws but I WON'T do that because I am looking at the whole picture. These videos somehow indicate that the whole quality of the game is like that, which respected people who actually have a reputation like TB and Videogamer refuted. People who make videos like these have too much power.

You want flaws from TW2? How about the oversaturated bloom, the horrible dithered shadows that mar the feel of the second act? I also find the part where Geralt tells Ves before he sleeps with her "let's drink to your needs" to be rather silly. What if I made videos of only the flaws I presented as if they were indicative of the quality of the whole game?

Last edited:
Nobody's doing anything, temporary lock until I get a handle on this.

---------- Updated at 07:02 PM ----------

Yes so, as I was saying... need I remind everyone of the forum rules? State your opinions in a civilized manner, refute points in civilized manner and personal insults are a no-no.

Topic is now re-opened, play nice.

Top Bottom