Dragon Age: Inquisition

+
Need more proof? Mouseover tooltips. Inventory/Talent Trees (although, to be fair, from what I've seen the GUI design philosophy just seems to be terrible in general. Skyrim/Witcher 2 all over again with those useless, wastefully gigantic tabbed lists). Left click attacks without target.

Need more proof? Mouseover tooltips. Inventory/Talent Trees (although, to be fair, from what I've seen the GUI design philosophy just seems to be terrible in general. Skyrim/Witcher 2 all over again with those useless, wastefully gigantic tabbed lists). Left click attacks without target.

Oh yes, that is incredibly annoying. I couldn't play as a warrior like that. Just feels completely off with a mouse.

---------- Updated at 08:49 AM ----------

Actually, it's still rather annoying with a controller, but not nearly as much.

---------- Updated at 09:01 AM ----------

Debating whether or not to skip school today... Missed some days already.

@Princess_Ciri, It does for me. especially early on, which is why I'd be pissed initially if I didn't have a controller. Wouldn't be so bad if they didn't advertize it as a game that looks out for PC users. Yea, the game is more suited to controller naturally, but then when you look at simple shit like no take all option for loot with keyboard and mouse, it's obvious this was a lazy last minute tacked on control scheme that was barely tested. If at all.

I don't think you can call anyone an entitled baby after they paid 60 dollars for a game they were lied to about so blatantly. It's disgusting, really. All that little stuff adds up, especially when you hear how good controller users have it. You could almost say you're missing out on an entire game feature that they promised you for your purchase.

I disagree because I don't think the controls for the PC are bad. I have not been using a controller and I've had no real issues with controls. I think if someone says the controls make the game unplayable, they are exaggerating. I have not once felt "I wish I had a controller for this game" so I don't know why other people would.

I disagree because I don't think the controls for the PC are bad. I have not been using a controller and I've had no real issues with controls. I think if someone says the controls make the game unplayable, they are exaggerating. I have not once felt "I wish I had a controller for this game" so I don't know why other people would.

Well it's fine that you disagree but many others don't, most of which I suspect compare it to how it used to be played. Me, I played the previous games on controller, and I fully expected to be switching for this game. I quickly changed my mind. Even though I thought the game felt okay enough early on with keyboard and mouse, it was clear that it wasn't meant for it, to me.

And regardless of whether or not you like the controls, it's evident that they aren't at all optimal for PC users, and expecting them to be, and expecting the setup to not be filled with silly little problems that should have been easily addressed in a Q and A from a testing group, is not being entitled. Or maybe it is. I certainly feel entitled to a game feature promised to me that works the same as it does for others when I pay full price for something. In that regard, yes they are entitled. Everyone's entitled to a functioning feature of something you paid full price for.

Well when controls don't work with a keyboard or feel a bit clunky I usually plug a controller (AC are simply unplayable on a keyboard for me). I tend to do that for any third person game that doesn't involve accuracy. I know, once you use a controller for your PC game the game suddenly becomes a console game, but I don't consider myself a Paladin of the master race.
No. I just don't enjoy playing such game with a controller. To be able to play games with mouse and keyboard is one of my primary motivations to play on PC in the first place. And when a company sells me a game on PC with the promise that it is optimized for this platform I demand that they stick to this promise.

I do play some games with a controller, like sports games and platformers, but I would never play a game like AC or Dragon Age Inquisition with such. It feels clunkly, imprecise and just not enjoyable for me personally. Even a bad control pattern on M/K is way more enjoyable than playing the game with a controller. So please spare me your master race comment, you don't know me. Anyway, there is no excuse that Bioware fucked the PC controls (which means M/K here) up, especially since PC controls were quite good in previous games of the same series...

It's a functioning game. The controls are fine and you can remap the keys if that's what is annoying users.
Even with all the complaints about auto-attack I really don't see what's so bad about holding down the mouse to do it. I feel like a lot of the "controller issues" are down to personal taste, rather than the controls actually being bad. In fact I've found these controls much better than the Mass Effect controls, now that game I found a challenge to use with the controls.

I admit sometimes when I play I think "They didn't bother to tailor this to PCs because otherwise they'd have made it so I could click on things in the distance." Honestly that's the only thing that annoys me, the fact that I have to be right on top of something before I can click it. But it's a minor thing and people who are acting like this ruins the game are entitled babies.
Easy pal. Don't call other people names just because they have perhaps different priorities than you. That's not the only problem witch PC controls. For example there is no free mouse look which is a fuc..... standard feature in every 3rd person PC game since at least ten years ago. In DAI I have to press the right mouse button for that. All the time. And while I have to do that I'm not allowed to rebind mouse buttons. I'm not allowed to use nine of the buttons my mouse offers (like every other even half-decently ported game). No, I have to use the keyboard for everything else than camera control, movement and fighting orders. Navigation in menus and inventory feels incredibly clunky and I always feel like I have to click one button to much or using one hotkey too much to get where I want to go. And yes, not being able anymore to just giving movement or collecting orders IS extremely annoying, especially since half of the game consists of that simple order. And don't tell me that they couldn't do it. You can give movement orders in the extremely bad tac cam so why not in normal cam? Nobody knows but my guess is simple lazyiness or that Bioware just didn't give a fuck about PC players and a good port ("you can't use that properly with a controller so nobody should use it...."). And being forced to hold down a button for constant attacking IS just bad control design because it adds nothing to the game, it's just clunky and annoying. If you want to time your attacks by clicking, like in a real skill based game, fine. But when you constantly hold the attack button your char just attacks automatically. It was standard in the past 20 years of PC gaming for a good reason that in a such case it's enough to click the enemy once to do exactly that: auto-attack since you want the char to do something else or the enemy is dead.

I'm not saying that the game is unplayable on PC with M/K, not at all. But there isn't and shouldn't be any excuse for Bioware for these lacking controls. They are annoying and diminishing the experience on PC, depending on your priorities of course. But I don't like paying full price for a game advertized as a PC game that doesn't deliver even on its basic promises. You are just defensive of Bioware or the game for no apparent reason imo. But something like bindable mouse buttons or free mouse look are just basic features of PC games and not something that is up to personal taste. I don't even want to guess what console people would say if you had to press a button all the time just to be able to move the camera with one of the analogue sticks. It just makes no sense at all.

And it is "a functioning" game. Dark Souls was also a functioning game. Still it was a horrible port. I don't think an experienced developer like Bioware with a long tradition of making PC games should be satisfied with creating a "functioning game". They should optimize their games to each platform as much as humanly possible. I don't think demanding that makes me entitled or anything. I think that's a pretty normaland pretty understandable customer expectation. If you don't even stick to or care about basic controls standards on PC there is little to defend left. In that case they just failed, sorry.

Last edited:
It's a functioning game. The controls are fine and you can remap the keys if that's what is annoying users.
Even with all the complaints about auto-attack I really don't see what's so bad about holding down the mouse to do it. I feel like a lot of the "controller issues" are down to personal taste, rather than the controls actually being bad. In fact I've found these controls much better than the Mass Effect controls, now that game I found a challenge to use with the controls.

My personal taste is a control system that is optimal for my experience, especially when promised such. Not something that is "functional". A pb and j serves the purpose of sating hunger temporarily, but if I paid for a cheeseburger and they gave me that, I'd slap the taste out their mouth. I don't like being dicked around, especially when it comes to my money, and that goes for keyboard controls and all the other issues the console port caused.

This is the stuff of politicians right here:

But free mouse view has never been a thing in Dragon Age games???? And clicking the mouse to look around is hardly an arduous task.

Lol I called the controls functional because you said they weren't functional, but imo they're more than functional, and I don't have a problem with them.
You guys finding the controls annoying doesn't mean they are, and I am allowed to have my opinion on whether I think they are good, and I think they are, and I think people who say the controls ruin the game are exaggerating. Disagree if you will, but you won't change my mind because I'm basing this on my own experience....

You guys finding the controls annoying doesn't mean they are
There is something called game design and yes, it's not all subjective. If I need two actions for something that would require just one, it's bad game design. Good game design and good control design means that you should need as least effort or actions as possible to perform a task. Holding a mouse button to look around is an ardous taks for the simple reason that it is completely unnecessary. And if I can't bind or rebind mouse buttons the controls on PC are poor. That's not a taste issue. It's a simple fact. Period.

And then there are standard features that are standard for a reason. These standard features have developed over the years and most people find them optimal or at least as good as it can be. Free mouse look is for example one of these standard features in third person games. You don't have to reinvent the wheel here, just sticking to these standard features would be nice.

Of course you have every right to have your own opinion and if you're happy with the conrols I'm happy for you. The controls are working, yes, and you can get along with them. They aren't broken but they are also - objectively - not as good as they could be with a little bit more care and effort. If that "ruins2 the game for someone is up to the individual but since controls are one of the most important part of any game (it's the direct connection between the player and the game and you need it all the time in every situation) you should at least accept that some people are sad or angry about that. Calling them whiners or arguing that they'd exaggerate is kind of insulting or arrogant imo.

I disagree because I don't like games where the screen moves when I move my mouse. It's annoying so I prefer it this way.
Don't try and make out like this is an objective problem, it's all down to personal tastes on how you like the controls to be.

My original point was that even if the controls are perfect, they can hardly be called "game ruining" which is what people were saying on the Bioware forums.

A bit of rebinding and the controls are solid to me apart from the consolized hell known as looting -.-

Last edited:
Face it, the PC controls suck balls. Yes you get used to them, if you're motivated otherwise to play the game. For those who aren't, it makes the game unplayable. Like you said, different expectations. Bioware badly overpromised, which is something I thought they were being careful about on this one.

I'm playing a rogue now and the lack of tactics and workable controls is even more annoying than with my mage. Oh god, the tedious hold R to auto-attack and click V to scan. RRRRVVVVVRRRVVVV Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz My only solution has been to put the difficulty down to Casual and play for the story. This works for me, but when talking about the quality of the game design, these have to be acknowledged as serious flaws.

I think the game's flaws will become even more apparent since there won't be any modding around to fix them. Meanwhile Bioware is being slow about fixing even critical game issues.

On a more positive note, some beautiful screens here.

But free mouse view has never been a thing in Dragon Age games???? And clicking the mouse to look around is hardly an arduous task.

Lol I called the controls functional because you said they weren't functional, but imo they're more than functional, and I don't have a problem with them.
You guys finding the controls annoying doesn't mean they are, and I am allowed to have my opinion on whether I think they are good, and I think they are, and I think people who say the controls ruin the game are exaggerating. Disagree if you will, but you won't change my mind because I'm basing this on my own experience....

Your idea of functional and mine are clearly different. My functional means optimal. Like a car that doesn't have a faulty transmission and won't stick on the clutch. If the car has that issue and you sold it to me and said "It's not so bad to me! Quit being entitled!" Again. Slap.

---------- Updated at 12:44 PM ----------

Also, who's trying to change your mind? Pretty sure I said you can disagree if you want, but you're one person out of many more who clearly think the setup blows. The customer is always right, and all that.

Last edited:

It's beautiful. A shame it's a "game for kids and idiots" though.

It's beautiful. A shame it's a "game for kids and idiots" though.
No, it's just a game made for consumers (once called casual gamers) and not a game made for gamers (once called hardcore or core-gamers).

There is a nice blog on the topic, containing this quote:

There’s a dude on Twitter with the line in his bio that reads: “A game for everyone is a game for no one.”

Games for ‘no one’ often receive Metacritic ratings of 80 or above, despite being designed for everyone – or, no one [in particular]. Isn’t that interesting? Aside from the obvious issues to do with Metacritic, games are reviewed not by fans of the genre, necessarily, but by people trained to dissect a game into form and function, arranging it and examining it quite academically before expressing his opinion on it, that opinion often about two things: does it work? is it fun? Does it work is an objective question, and is it fun is a subjective value.

[...]

Fun is a bit of a dirty word. Anything can be fun.

That’s sort of why many AAA games feel a little neutered, because they’re developed as a beautiful corpse. They are built piece by piece to be dissected piece by piece, and ‘uniformity’ (market function) is placed above all else. This, cleverly, is why people often complain games are all the same, and don’t mature or try anything new or exciting, but still manage to rake in 80-90 scores. If it’s functional and fun you can’t really turn around and say: ‘sure, it works and it’s fun, but it didn’t try anything new, so I give it a 50′. For some reason, doing that just doesn’t seem to make sense.

https://cmdouse.wordpress.com/2014/11/30/demographics-are-a-bit-like-an-oak-tree-i-guess/

---------- Updated at 06:08 PM ----------

Don't try and make out like this is an objective problem, it's all down to personal tastes on how you like the controls to be.
So not being able to rebind mouse keys is a matter of taste? Wow...

My original point was that even if the controls are perfect, they can hardly be called "game ruining" which is what people were saying on the Bioware forums.
That doesn't make any sense at all...

For example a shooter with a serious mouse lag is utter crap, even if it features a great story, great presentation and great visuals. It's just not fun to never hit an enemy if not by simple coincidence. That's not a matter of taste, it simply IS a fact and there is nothing to discuss about it. You simply ignore the argument that controls can be a deal breaker for some people.

There might be SOME control issues that depend on personal preference but that doesn't apply to each and every one.

And to be honest, you're really on the minority if you don't like free mouse look in 3D games. A shooter for example would be almost unplayable without free mouse look. Just imagine CoD or Battlefield or even a third person shooter without free mouse look. Come on, there simply is a reason why stuff like that got standard in the world of PC controls. It's because most people acknowleged these control pattern to be the most functional and "best" ones. Could you at least explain to me why you don't like free mouse look. What does it take away from you or how does it interfere with your experience in a game like DA Inquisition? I honestly don't get it how somebody could seriously be again free mouse look in such a game...

For each individual, yes, it's personal taste. On the large scale there are proven ways of doing things - Software Ergonomy, Human Computer Interaction and User Interface Design deal with these problems and there are parameters to objectively evaluate usability.

Wouldn't you be irritated if the manufacturer of your speakers decided that counter-clockwise turning of the volume control for higher volume was a good idea? It's functional. It's nearly identical to clockwise control. And yet I dare say that 9 out of 10 people will curse the manufacturer for it.
There are things we're used to (like the clockwise turning for an increase - at least since the first clocks), there are analogies (like the volume buttons on a remote - up for higher, because if you go up somewhere, you'll be higher up) and several other effects and these need to be exploited for good usability.

Would agree with you on the "ruining the game" thing though. The shortcomings don't sound THAT drastic - without ever having laid my hands on the game. But still, especially the tactical camera I can picture myself go mad about and it will probably significantly diminish my enjoyment of the game. So I can totally understand complaints - how extreme those complaints are, is just your everyday internet communication, sadly.

---------- Updated at 06:19 PM ----------

And to be honest, you're really on the minority if you don't like free mouse look in 3D games. A shooter for example would be almost unplayable without free mouse look. Just imagine CoD or Battlefield or even a third person shooter without free mouse look. Come on, there simply is a reason why stuff like that got standard in the world of PC controls. It's because most people acknowleged these control pattern to be the most functional and "best" ones. Could you at least explain to me why you don't like free mouse look. What does it take away from you or how does it interfere with your experience in a game like DA Inquisition? I honestly don't get it how somebody could seriously be again free mouse look in such a game...

At least concerning this particular point, I'm with @Princess_Ciri , or might be, if DAI is anything like Origins. Because first and foremost, for me it's a party-based tactical RPG. I don't just shoot or hit, I navigate the battlefield, mark targets and issue orders, and that for multiple party members - or in other words I control indirectly - and for that I want to use my mouse pointer, not a rotation of the camera (the shortcoming of the tactical camera, by the way, fixing the cursor to the center of the screen). Therefore, there is both a tradition within the series (consistency) and a good reason for not rotating the camera per default with no button press (although that really depends on the amount of exploration and camera rotating vs issuing orders you do throughout the game).

If my comment doesn't apply to DAI at all, because it's radically different, just ignore me. :p

So not being able to rebind mouse keys is a matter of taste? Wow...
Edit: sorry i misread i didn't see you'd put mouse keys. Well personally I don't feel the need to remap the mouse keys, so....... yeah

Just imagine CoD or Battlefield or even a third person shooter without free mouse look. Could you at least explain to me why you don't like free mouse look. What does it take away from you or how does it interfere with your experience in a game like DA Inquisition? I honestly don't get it how somebody could seriously be again free mouse look in such a game...

I don't play CoD or Battlefield so I'm afraid I can't imagine them like that, but I've played Mass Effect which is kind of a shooter game, and the free mouse control on that was seriously annoying. I would have preferred it to be like DA:I, as it's far easier to make precise shots.

Wouldn't you be irritated if the manufacturer of your speakers decided that counter-clockwise turning of the volume control for higher volume was a good idea?

I must disagree simply bc my volume on my speakers is like that. Sure it was confusing at first but I got used to it and it's hardly a massive problem that caused my world to end.

Last edited:
Top Bottom