Dragon Age: Inquisition

+
Yeah I'm also interested in what people thought of the DLC, although people on reddit have said it's decent.

I'm mainly considering getting it so i can have more Solas dialogue.

Here is an extremely intelligent critique on the successes and missteps of Dragon Age: Inquisition. I agree with almost everything he says.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMFnSqfhdKw

Overall, I think the game was a success. Sure, it was flawed and definitely could have been better in many regards but the game has many qualities. Despite it being a good game and GOTY, I don't think it's going to be a classic rather I think it will be remembered as a good game with some flaws.

I think its biggest strength was how it handled religion in a world full of magic and the supernatural. It doesn't matter if the Maker exists or not, what matters is that people believe in the Maker and they believe that you are the Herald. I personally didn't think I was the herald but I used the Inquisition's belief in the name of good and in the final moments of the game I even asked myself if there really wasn't a Maker. There were too many coincidences, imo. Why exactly were you at the right place at the right time when you got your powers? Maybe the Maker works in more subtle ways. In the end though, it doesn't matter if the Maker exists, what matters is that people believe in him and that belief alone has the power to drive people to do unbelievable acts of heroism (and cruelty) and to make the believer's life more meaningful. It would be interesting if BioWare ever made an atheist Divine who while does not believe in the Maker sees the potential (and need) for people to believe.

As far as companions go, they were a mixed bag for me. On one hand I really liked Cassandra, Vivienne, Dorian, Solas and Cole while I thought the others were kinda meh...there was something strangely missing and I think I know what it was . There is no character that acts as a counterpoint in Inquisition. Everyone basically agrees with you. Morrigan and Sten (and to some extent Zevran and Shale) challenged your ideas and your perception of the world and were not afraid to call you an idiot when they disagreed. There needed to be more contrast in the roster. That is why I also love Athelstan in Vikings so much, among all the bloodthirsty warriors he is the only rational guy there, he serves as a counterpoint and that is something DA:I needed.

The gameplay is definitely the weakest part of the game. There is a ton of content in the game but unfortunately it is spread too thin. There are not very many interesting side quests, which is a real shame. It really does feel like The Old Republic 2.0. Worst yet, the side quests hurt the tempo of the game. The interesting parts are really stretched out because of this.

Last edited:
That is why I also love Athelstan in Vikings so much, among all the bloodthirsty warriors he is the only rational guy there, he serves as a counterpoint and that is something DA:I needed.
Not anymore :(

There are not very many interesting side quests, which is a real shame. It really does feel like The Old Republic 2.0. Worst yet, the side quests hurts the tempo of the game. The interesting parts are really stretched out because of this.
I agree, but tbh there is so much content that you can skip boring side quests, like shards etc. I was trying to do everything, but I was leveling too quickly and some locations just became too easy.

Last edited:
Not anymore :(

omg why would you post Vikings spoilers in here?!?!?!? I haven't caught up with the show yet argHHHHHHHHHHH

bioware is involved in bad art, ie copy paste level stuff. old news.

I understand when it comes to Tali but this? Are people really still complaining about this? It's just a nod to their past with Star Wars...for a stupid DLC... BIG. DEAL

omg why would you post Vikings spoilers in here?!?!?!? I haven't caught up with the show yet argHHHHHHHHHHH

Now now, it might not be what you think.

And yeah, use spoiler tags ppl.

Overall, I think the game was a success. Sure, it was flawed and definitely could have been better in many regards but the game has many qualities. Despite it being a good game and GOTY, I don't think it's going to be a classic rather I think it will be remembered as a good game with some flaws.
It's an even less memorable game than Dragon Age 2 for me. Dragon Age 2 was a much more focused game than Dragon Age: Inquisition (Which is the oddest thing I've ever said about that game considering it was all over the place). The open world hurt Dragon Age: Inquisition horribly because majority of the locations just contained side quest filler. I played a solid 90 hours of DA:I and the only side quests I can remember right not are 2 horrible ones in the Hinterlands and the demon quest with the virgin joke in Emprise de Lion(I think that's the name). The plot was pretty laughable at some moments. The siege of the Grey Warden fortress was the most memorable main quest for me because it was really bad.

I think its biggest strength was how it handled religion in a world full of magic and the supernatural. It doesn't matter if the Maker exists or not, what matters is that people believe in the Maker and they believe that you are the Herald. I personally didn't think I was the herald but I used the Inquisition's belief in the name of good and in the final moments of the game I even asked myself if there really wasn't a Maker. There were too many coincidences, imo. Why exactly were you at the right place at the right time when you got your powers? Maybe the Maker works in more subtle ways.
I actually thought that was the weakest theme of Dragon Age: Inquisition. The Chantry was surprisingly silent during the main quest. Actually, I don't think the Chantry did anything at all to screw me or the Inquisition over. Chancellor Roderick(?) really just sat there and complained up until his strange death. As for the all the talk of the Maker and the Herald, it didn't really add up to what I was hoping. The most the game ever really did with that was with the section where you regained your memories through various different hilariously bad combat challenges in the Fade (Kill THIS DUDE for memory!). You find out that you just stumbled onto the Divine being sacrificed, but this left a lot more questions than I started with. Why was I even there? Why were the Grey Wardens involved when Corypheus is a fucking powerful Tevinter mage? How did he get in unnoticed and why was Justinia alone?

As far as companions go, they were a mixed bag for me. On one hand I really liked Cassandra, Vivienne, Dorian, Solas and Cole while I thought the others were kinda meh...there was something strangely missing and I think I know what it was . There is no character that acts as a counterpoint in Inquisition. Everyone basically agrees with you. Morrigan and Sten (and to some extent Zevran and Shale) challenged your ideas and your perception of the world and were not afraid to call you an idiot when they disagreed. There needed to be more contrast in the roster.
This I 100% agree on. None of the characters were oppositional to you unless you acted like a complete asshole to them, which is sort of odd considering I get a text message in my bottom left corner stating that Viviene disapproves of fucking everything I do. None of the characters really had any sort of lasting internal conflict going on besides Blackwall (who ended up being one of my favorite characters).

The gameplay is definitely the weakest part of the game. There is a ton of content in the game but unfortunately it is spread too thin. There are not very many interesting side quests, which is a real shame. It really does feel like The Old Republic 2.0. Worst yet, the side quests hurt the tempo of the game. The interesting parts are really stretched out because of this.
The gameplay is really the weakest part of this game. I'd argue that the content in this game isn't spread too thin, but rather is just an issue of quantity over quality (ex: fucking ALL OF THE COLLECTIBLES). The War Table should be considered a crime and whoever thought that further padding out the game by making the player wait up to a day with psuedo-missions should be shot in the foot. Thank God that PC gamers were able to solve this issue by moving their clocks forward on their PC (I seriously had my Date and Time open for almost every hour I've played in DA:I). I heard console gamers had to leave the game if they wanted to do this.

This fan art of m!Hawke is amazing! I wish he looked like this in Dragon Age Inquisition. As it is, I prefer using my female Hawke since m!Hawke is disappointing. Idk what it is but he loses his spark in Inquisition. Or maybe I'm just more attached to f!Hawke.

I enjoyed DAI, probably spending over 1,000 hours on 4 play throughs and around 500 prestige points of the multiplayer.

It's a great game with some flaws, mostly from dealing with the transition to a new engine (Frostbite 3) and thereby a change in how side-quests are done with in-game perspective rather than bespoke cutscenes on the conversations. The story was fairly 'safe' after the ME3 controversy, but there is much to like about the combat mechanics even if Tactical options could not be accommodated by Frostbite 3 this time.

Some of the hate is pretty unreasonable with nostalgia glasses being worn. The DA vs Witcher argument is also fairly pointless as it is perfectly possible to like both. I think in time (and there is still some more DLC to come) it will be viewed as a good but transitionary entry in the series.

Didn't play the game yet, but I have bought it. Just waiting for my new rig to play it right. I've just read something that I think is awesome ( I don't know if you talked about it already but here it is ) a small detail that makes me want to play it even more :

Claudia Black's own son voicing kieran

By the way, Iam crazy about Claudia Black. So I LOVE Morrigan :D

I have to say at this moment that I dont regret not buying DA Inquisition... From what Ive seen, some themes, and some characters' cameos were interesting, but the gameplay for the most part was preetty horrible. I hated the MMO structure and remain clueless why they thought the mountains of forgettable sidequests would be interesting... That's just ME, If people enjoy that, more power to you.
The story was preetty generic too, and the characters lacked the wariety and nuisance that made them so grand in Origins, at least that's my 2 cents.

I ve left with so bad a taste in my mouth that I doubt the direction Bioware/EA is taking for their RPGs is something I want to try ever.

Just my opinion, but you can laugh at this instead of being grumpy cause I dont love the game. :p

Ye old busty Isabella's lookin pretty good there. I really do think EA has taken a cue from CDPR ever since ME3 started with free content.

Sorry to break it to you but it's a multiplayer DLC, said multiplayer having micro transactions in it.
They did the same with ME3.

Just as well it's a non-aggressive store with nothing hidden behind paywalls.
The micro-transactions are genuinely optional and just speed up loot gathering very slightly.
Most people give them a miss.

I'm looking forward to the multiplayer dragons DLC.

Just as well it's a non-aggressive store with nothing hidden behind paywalls.
The micro-transactions are genuinely optional and just speed up loot gathering very slightly.
Most people give them a miss.

I'm looking forward to the multiplayer dragons DLC.

I have a feeling they will be like WoW 5 man bosses....with the notable exception of not having to coordinate 5 braindead AI players. Dear God the AI is atrocious in this game.

Would really like to see 10 player raids.

Last edited:
I have a feeling they will be like WoW 5 man bosses....with the notable exception of not having to coordinate 5 braindead AI players. Dear God the AI is atrocious in this game.
Would really like to see 10 player raids.

I've never tried WoW, but should be interesting.
No shortage of good times, TW3 from 19th, DAI challenges at the weekends.

Top Bottom